PDA

View Full Version : First smoke the best?

Devanmc
02-19-2011, 09:28 AM
With great weather and a day off i started my morning with a good Aston VSG churchill. It was great with my coffee the only problem is later on i tried to smoke another cigar. It tasted like crap, pissed a tossed it and grabbed for something stronger, also tasted like crap.

Is there something i haven't learned yet about smoking multiple cigars a day because after that first good strong cigar, Everything tasted almost like a cigarette only after several hours(and food) did a My Father La Bijou robusto taste good/average.

cort
02-19-2011, 09:37 AM
If I plan on smoking multiple sticks in a day I try and plan them out starting from mild and working my way to the heavier stuff. A strong cigar can definitely get your palate out of whack for a day.

kelmac07
02-19-2011, 09:38 AM
If I plan on smoking multiple sticks in a day I try and plan them out starting from mild and working my way to the heavier stuff. A strong cigar can definitely get your palate out of whack for a day.

Exactamundo!! Works for me too. :D

bobarian
02-19-2011, 09:39 AM
Always start with your lightest most flavorful cigar, them medium and finally full. There are also several threads on clearing your palate with a drink or some candy, some even brush their teeth. :2

NCRadioMan
02-19-2011, 09:43 AM

After that compliment you just gave me, I hate to have to somewhat disagree you. I am a huge fan of smoking my favorite cigar, no matter the strength, as the first cigar of the day because that is when the palate is the freshest.

It's usually a good idea to clense the palate between smokes so the first one is not lingering. Maybe before you smoke that next cigar, plan on a meal or a snack between to get the palate back on track.

Also, it's just takes some time and experience.

cort
02-19-2011, 09:46 AM
After that compliment you just gave me, I hate to have to somewhat disagree you. I am a huge fan of smoking my favorite cigar, no matter the strength, as the first cigar of the day because that is when the palate is the freshest.

It's usually a good idea to clense the palate between smokes so the first one is not lingering. Maybe before you smoke that next cigar, plan on a meal or a snack between to get the palate back on track.

Also, it's just takes some time and experience.

It's all good Mr. Lovebiscuit.:D

JaKaacH
02-19-2011, 09:53 AM
Always start with your lightest most flavorful cigar, them medium and finally full. There are also several threads on clearing your palate with a drink or some candy, some even brush their teeth. :2

Sunkist Orange soda works for clearing the palate.

justonemorestick
02-19-2011, 04:22 PM
One needs to disinfect his palette between smokes I prefer to use scotch or beer but toothpaste might work however you need to have enough time for the toothpaste taste to dissipate.

larryinlc
02-19-2011, 04:45 PM
I've tried to smoke two cigars in the same day, but it turns out like eating two Thanksgiving dinners in one day. For me, it spoils both. I prefer to anticipate and enjoy only one every evening.

Larry

Bill86
02-19-2011, 05:22 PM
I've never had a problem smoking 2 -3 cigars a day. Never tried more than that I usually just space them out a good 2 hours or so.

longknocker
02-19-2011, 05:27 PM
I've never had a problem smoking 2 -3 cigars a day. Never tried more than that I usually just space them out a good 2 hours or so.

I Chain Smoke Cigars When Playing 18 Holes, But I Usually Wait 1-2 H Between Smokes At Home.:tu

NCRadioMan
02-19-2011, 05:30 PM
I Chain Smoke Cigars When Playing 18 Holes
As do I and at herfs, of course. :ss

longknocker
02-19-2011, 05:32 PM
As do I and at herfs, of course. :ss

Good Point, Brother! If It's A Good Stick, It Will Still Taste Good!:):tu

OLS
02-19-2011, 05:41 PM
Smoke only habanos, that problem goes right away.
It's still a good idea to cleanse the palate, but when you get home, you will
find that a good havana cigar, especially one dried out by your family who
are putting them in your humidor while you are away, :D will cure most of those annoying NC taste issues.
:noon

JJG
02-19-2011, 06:25 PM
I know you don't have this problem Brad :D, but one thing I've learned is that If you smoke a Cuban first thing in the day, stick with Habanos for the entire day. Anytime I've smoked a CC and then attempted to smoke a NC afterwards, they always taste crappy. Even my favorite NCs don't taste as good if my last cigar was a Cuban.

JDTexan
02-20-2011, 07:05 AM
Smoke only habanos, that problem goes right away.
It's still a good idea to cleanse the palate, but when you get home, you will
find that a good havana cigar, especially one dried out by your family who
are putting them in your humidor while you are away, :D will cure most of those annoying NC taste issues.
:noon

:tpd: Can't argue with that wisdom.

whodeeni
02-20-2011, 08:57 AM
Listen to the "Old Heads" Devan... All that time on this earth
counts for something!:r

Volusianator
02-20-2011, 08:59 AM
Ahhhh, I've had many an Opus on my way to work in the morning.

Bageland2000
02-20-2011, 09:24 AM
THE BEST thing to cleanse the palate (IMO:D) is chocolate. I'll even eat a few pieces while smoking a cigar. A guy at my local B&M taught me this trick. It work wonders.

shilala
02-20-2011, 09:35 AM
I start with something gross and just keep smoking the same or grosser.
Teeth brushing kinda helps, but it takes about three days to get an El Original off your palate.