PDA

View Full Version : DealExtreme Lighters

Flynnster
02-18-2011, 05:28 PM
What's up guys, after fighting with wind/matches today I finally decided to order one of the cheapo torches people link to all the time.

I'm talking these ones.
http://www.dealextreme.com/p/jet-1300-c-butane-lighter-1320
http://www.dealextreme.com/p/compact-1300-c-butane-jet-lighter-4179

But at checkout I found that I need ****** (woops, didn't realize it was censored. Well it's that thing ebay started to pay online with, starts with a P) to order them, and I don't have an account nor do I really wanna set one up. I do however have a visa gift car I can use.

Anyone know anywhere else I can buy one of these? Thanks.

pnoon
02-18-2011, 05:31 PM
What's up guys, after fighting with wind/matches today I finally decided to order one of the cheapo torches people link to all the time.

I'm talking these ones.
http://www.dealextreme.com/p/jet-1300-c-butane-lighter-1320
http://www.dealextreme.com/p/compact-1300-c-butane-jet-lighter-4179

But at checkout I found that I need ****** (woops, didn't realize it was censored. Well it's that thing ebay started to pay online with, starts with a P) to order them, and I don't have an account nor do I really wanna set one up. I do however have a visa gift car I can use.

Anyone know anywhere else I can buy one of these? Thanks.
You don't need it.
Click on Method 1 or Method 2. The next screen allows you to pay by credit card.

I would also recommend buying 3 or 4. They can be tempermental.

Flynnster
02-18-2011, 05:42 PM
Thank you sir!!

Bill86
02-18-2011, 05:45 PM
I think the Ronson lighters are built a bit better, but those deal extreme ones work quite well. Mines been working for 6 months or so. I agree with Pnoon get yourself 5-10 of them and never worry about another lighter.

bobarian
02-18-2011, 05:58 PM
I recommend the second one. $2 each delivered when you buy 5 or more. Use the BULKRATE code for $2 shipping. I have purchased over 100 of these lighters over the years, great for PIF's and bombing runs. :tu They hold about 5x the fuel as a Ronson and work better in cold weather. :2

bvilchez
02-18-2011, 06:08 PM
I recommend the second one. $2 each delivered when you buy 5 or more. Use the BULKRATE code for $2 shipping. I have purchased over 100 of these lighters over the years, great for PIF's and bombing runs. :tu They hold about 5x the fuel as a Ronson and work better in cold weather. :2

:tpd:

Flynnster
02-18-2011, 06:19 PM
I can't see that link :(

Also, bobarian, the reason I was thinking the first one was the flame looks bigger. Is the flame on the first large enough?

CigarNut
02-18-2011, 06:36 PM
The flame is big enough - I've used markem's Dealextreme lighter when mine is acting up and I have never had a problem (he has the 1300).

Ashcan Bill
02-18-2011, 06:36 PM

I agree. My first one I used for close to two years, and then gave it away to someone that needed it. I've been using my second one for a year and a half now. I use other lighters as well, but these stupid things just won't quit. :D

bobarian
02-18-2011, 06:38 PM
I can't see that link :(

Also, bobarian, the reason I was thinking the first one was the flame looks bigger. Is the flame on the first large enough?

The first lighter is not a pocket lighter. It is about 3-4" tall. Its good if you just want one for the workbench, but the second is the best of all the DE lighters. Flame is plenty big.

Flynnster
02-18-2011, 08:43 PM
Alright, thanks for the info!

markem
02-18-2011, 08:46 PM
The first lighter is not a pocket lighter. It is about 3-4" tall. Its good if you just want one for the workbench, but the second is the best of all the DE lighters. Flame is plenty big.

and is adjustable at the fill end.

Zeuceone
02-18-2011, 08:55 PM
i got the second on from an NST and its great, the flame is big enough.

Flynnster
02-18-2011, 09:54 PM
just ordered two, then realized NO BUTANE! No big deal, just glad I caught it now so I can get some before they get here. I assume since they are cheap I can use any butane?

bobarian
02-18-2011, 10:26 PM
All lighters work better with good butane. I use Vector 5x refined, available from CI for $12.95 for two cans. If you get a Joe Cigar deal add in the fuel and get free shipping. Two cans will last you for at least two years.

Flynnster
02-18-2011, 10:48 PM
local B&M has zippo fuel, probably will just go there.

awsmith4
02-18-2011, 10:55 PM
local B&M has zippo fuel, probably will just go there.

Listen to Bob he speaks the truth. Vector is sold at Williams and Sonoma as well if you have one locally. I'm not sure about zippo but Ronson and some others that aren't filtered enough will clog up lighter and kill them dead

Flynnster
02-18-2011, 11:30 PM
I'll check with another B&M then.

awsmith4
02-18-2011, 11:43 PM
I'll check with another B&M then.

Others that are filtered like Vector include Lava and Xikar. Just look on the label and make sure its multi filtered regardless of the brand name

Flynnster
02-18-2011, 11:44 PM
Well thank ya sir!

Flynnster
02-21-2011, 11:45 AM
How long is shipping on these things usually guys? It doesn't really say on the site.

croatan
02-21-2011, 11:56 AM
How long is shipping on these things usually guys? It doesn't really say on the site.

I haven't bought any from them in a while, but I remember them running at least a week, and I think closer to two on shipping.

landhoney
02-21-2011, 12:13 PM

Mine took 4 weeks or so, but it was over the holidays. Love these lighters (second link) for situations where I don't want to bring my nice Xikar. I was a Ronson fan, but so far (1-2 months of use) I like these better (and half the price delivered). I bought 8, tried 4 so far and one is a little tempermental (but still works), but the others work 100% fine everytime.

Flynnster
02-21-2011, 02:02 PM
Alright, sweet. I ordered 2, hoping at least one works!

elderboy02
02-21-2011, 06:31 PM
I really enjoy these lighters for the price. I have had to throw a couple away, but the other ones have been working with no problems at all.

Flynnster
03-14-2011, 07:57 PM
So my order shipped on the 25th of February, yet I still don't have it. I'm starting to worry. I have contacted customer service, but no response yet.

smokin5
03-14-2011, 08:57 PM
Patience, Grasshopper.
It's only been a bit over 2 weeks, & these are
mailed from Hong Kong. Mine arrived last week
after about 3 weeks or so.

Word to the wise - the flame adjuster surrounds
the bottom intake hole. You will need to adjust
it up (counterclockwise) with a flathead screwdriver
before it will light well. And push the flimsy slide
control on the front to the right, or your flame will
be constant.

Flynnster
03-14-2011, 11:01 PM
BUT I WANT IT NOW!

Thanks for the input though, good to know that it can take 3 weeks. The email says 7-10 days which is why I was a bit worried.

What do you mean by the flame being constant?

HollywoodQue
03-15-2011, 04:28 AM
Don't forget...the orders take a while to come.

I ordered 5 of the jet lighters and 2 humi meters back in January. I just received the lighters 3 days ago and the meters are backordered.

Just be patient, they will come. Be careful when using your credit card. It's is much easier to use poopal cuz your order is somewhat protected if it never arrives. Just saying.

Bill86
03-15-2011, 04:39 AM
If they take that long to get I'm not sure they are really a deal anymore.

TheRiddick
03-15-2011, 07:48 AM
Placed an order back in early March, still waiting for delivery even though they emailed me more than 2 weeks ago to say they shipped.

Mugen910
03-15-2011, 07:59 AM
Mine took 3 weeks..just keep in mind that you got them cheap.

awsmith4
03-15-2011, 08:10 AM
I ordered six a few weeks ago, 3 showed up so far and I'm sure the other three are not far behind

the last time I ordered it took almost 6 weeks. I just periodically order a few and forget and when they show up its a nice little surprise.

smokin5
03-15-2011, 09:28 AM
What do you mean by the flame being constant?
If the front switch is pushed to the left & you press the
ignition button, the gas outflow remains open/locked, &
the flame will continue to stay lit even if you take your
finger off the ignition button. Should this happen, just
push in above the ignition button & the gas flow stops.

Flynnster
03-15-2011, 09:44 AM
I'm not too worried, now that yall have told me it takes three weeks or more sometimes. I'm gonna be pretty mad if it takes 6 weeks though when they quoted less than two. That is a little crazy.

Flynnster
03-29-2011, 12:10 PM
Well they came in today, and I am surprised by how heavy they feel, I was expecting cheap plastic feeling lighters but other than the switch on the front these things seem pretty hefty.

BlindedByScience
03-29-2011, 12:37 PM
For lighters on the cheap, these guys (http://www.littlehavanacigars.com/categories.asp?cat=22) have always been quite good to deal with; check out their "Volcano" line. I've always thought they picked out a couple of good models from the overseas guys and featured them.

Also, these same guys (behind a slightly different web page if you wish) (http://www.kingbutane.com/) will sell you King butane. This is a triple refined product at a great price. I bought a case of huge cans of this stuff, and have given about half of it away. It's really good fuel and won't destroy your lighters like the grocery store butane will.

Finally, when it comes to lighters, I can't say enough nice things about my Blazer PB-207. That little sucker works perfectly, everytime, period. It's like my Xikar and Palio; it wasn't the cheapest route a guy could go, but once you go there you wonder why you waited so long to get the right tool for the job.

My :2 - N.F.H.

Edited to add: Looks like the King Butane site is the most recently updated. Here's a deal (http://www.kingbutane.com/proddetail.asp?prod=TL5004) on four single flame torches for $16.95 with free shipping.....

mariogolbee
03-29-2011, 12:40 PM
Thanks for bumping this thread. Both of my Guangdas stopped working after both having illustrious careers so I ordered 10. Now I can stash a few and send some out here and there.

TheRiddick
03-29-2011, 03:02 PM
Well they came in today, and I am surprised by how heavy they feel, I was expecting cheap plastic feeling lighters but other than the switch on the front these things seem pretty hefty.

Still waiting for mine, they supposedly shipped on FEBRUARY 25th. I am ready to write off the order...

landhoney
03-29-2011, 03:03 PM
Still waiting for mine, they supposedly shipped on FEBRUARY 25th. I am ready to write off the order...

I think mine took 6+ weeks, so don't count them out yet. :tu

HollywoodQue
03-29-2011, 03:10 PM
I just got the two meters that I ordered in January...it does take a lot of time, but for the price, why not wait.

landhoney
03-29-2011, 03:16 PM
...it does take a lot of time, but for the price, why not wait.

I agree; they took so long I forgot about them actually, when the package arrived I had no idea what it was at first, great surprise when opened. :tu And so far so good, working solidly for a few months now.

Mugen910
07-05-2011, 07:39 PM
I agree; they took so long I forgot about them actually, when the package arrived I had no idea what it was at first, great surprise when opened. :tu And so far so good, working solidly for a few months now.

*zombie thread*

Thanks for the info gents. Dealextreme seems like a great place to buy torch lighters.

elderboy02
07-05-2011, 07:45 PM
When ordering these: http://www.dealextreme.com/p/compact-1300-c-butane-jet-lighter-4179 be sure to buy a bunch of them. Some are duds, but the one I currently have, I have been using for over 1 year now. I love these cheapies :tu

Mugen910
07-05-2011, 07:48 PM
dude i use these to help me reshaft golf clubs...awesomeness

GodOfFire
07-05-2011, 07:56 PM
I want to add a vouch for vector fuel, having used other big name brand triple refined fuels... Now that I use vector i will not use any other brand. My lighters are so much more consistent with this fuel over other brands. Maybe it's just me but I love it... sorry for the thread jack...

back to regularly scheduled program

Mugen910
07-05-2011, 08:02 PM
Totally understand..I love my fancy lighters and all but it's hard to pass a up $3 for when you are out and about. Less to worry about losing $3 versus $40+

lostark374
07-12-2011, 07:02 AM
i placed my order on 2/19/11 got an email this morning that about half of my order shipped today!!!!! not bad just under 5 months!

emopunker2004
07-12-2011, 07:27 AM
i placed my order on 2/19/11 got an email this morning that about half of my order shipped today!!!!! not bad just under 5 months!

:r:r

Mine only took like 20 days from the time i ordered to the time i got it...

Flynnster
08-09-2011, 10:25 PM
This threads pretty old but I wanted to give an update. First lighter wouldn't stop spewing butane everywhere. The little switch on the front seemed to be broken. O well. Second one just got filled and seems to be working well, haven't had a cigar in a few months as I'm home for summer and the parents don't appreciate it much.

Overall, decently happy. 50/50 shot of them working for me at least.

LostAbbott
08-09-2011, 10:32 PM
Just got a shipment of about ten lighter from these guys. Only half of them worked. Two of the power touches lit but were soft flame as they do not hold pressure. Two leak fuel to the point they are empty about an hour after filling them. Other ones work great though. So definitely ymmv but when they work they are pretty nice.
Posted via Mobile Device

Flynnster
08-09-2011, 10:50 PM
:c swear that a minute after posting this I was playing with the one I jsut filled and same issue happened, won't stop spewing fuel, and it won't light. Seriously?

Gonna fiddle with it a bit more.

ResidentPony
08-09-2011, 11:26 PM
I love DX for some things (pocket knives, jammer) but have had no luck with their lighters. One even coughed up a fireball and took my knuckle hair with it. Grooming the manly way...

TheRiddick
08-10-2011, 12:21 PM
... One even coughed up a fireball and took my knuckle hair with it. Grooming the manly way...

Had same happen with one of mine 2 weeks ago (a triple torch).

Comparing latest batches (this year) and those from years past the new ones seem to be made from thinner (and much lower quality) plastic and definitely seem loose and badly put together. Most likely a different factory (Chinese now contracting Mongolia to make these to bring the cost down?).

Shipping delays wise, looks like when you order 20+ units and they force you to pay a bit more for air mail delivery they do arrive much, much quicker. 3 weeks versus 3 months for me, this year.

zman
08-10-2011, 04:42 PM
Just bought five (5). Do they arrive empty?

Z-Man

Cornrow_Wallis
08-10-2011, 05:10 PM
Yep, empty. I ordered five a couple months ago and the one I opened is pretty much the only lighter I use, unless it's a pretty small ring gauge. No clue if the other four work. I guess I'll find out when I break or lose this one.

Zeuceone
08-10-2011, 05:49 PM
I need to order more. I gifted some and lose a couple.

zman
08-10-2011, 07:25 PM
Thanks Cornrow,

What fuel did you use? Also any words of wisdom on how best to fill it the first time?

Thanks,

Z-Man

TheRiddick
08-10-2011, 08:04 PM
Vector is fine. 2 large cans from CI for $12 and free shipping. Will last you a long time.

Fill as any other lighter.

Cornrow_Wallis
08-10-2011, 08:05 PM
I used some xikar butane that I had, but I'm not sure if the type of fuel would matter a whole lot in a lighter like this. It might, but I don't think so. In a more expensive lighter I would be inclined to use better butane, but I bet these would take any of it.

Nope, no trick to filling them that I know of. The first time I filled it I just put a little bit in to make sure it worked and didn't leak any of it, but that's the only thing.

WittyUserName
08-10-2011, 08:34 PM
Vector is fine. 2 large cans from CI for $12 and free shipping. Will last you a long time.

Fill as any other lighter.

I would buy a bunch of these in a heart beat....if only they shipped butane to APOs :(

The only stuff I can get is low quality generic stuff from the NEX. I have to refill my current torch after about 5 cigars.

TheRiddick
08-10-2011, 08:52 PM
I would buy a bunch of these in a heart beat....if only they shipped butane to APOs :(

The only stuff I can get is low quality generic stuff from the NEX. I have to refill my current torch after about 5 cigars.

I feel your pain. FWIW, fill it with any generic fuel available, they will work, if not as efficiently. They have good size tanks and I can't imagine them lasting for just 5 cigars. Wish we could figure out how to ship fuel cans to you guys.

Ranger_B
08-10-2011, 09:22 PM
Adam here is what has worked for me. Cedar strips. Light the strips and then light the cigar with the strips. When you place an order for cigars just ask them to include some of the cedar sheets for packaging. Hate to see you ruin a good lighter with the butane you find over there. If not the PX has Bic lighters and they still get the job done.

Tyler
08-10-2011, 09:59 PM
Would you guys suggest these lighters over a Ronson Jetlite?

Ogre
08-10-2011, 10:03 PM

I would not!!:)

TheRiddick
08-10-2011, 10:04 PM

IMO, definitely. Have both, multiples of both, and only use DealExreme these days.

Flynnster
08-10-2011, 10:30 PM
I'm going to try and find a Ronson around here, I know I couldn't find one anywhere in chicago.

Tyler
08-11-2011, 12:26 AM
If you don't find one let me know. ;)

WittyUserName
08-11-2011, 05:21 AM
I feel your pain. FWIW, fill it with any generic fuel available, they will work, if not as efficiently. They have good size tanks and I can't imagine them lasting for just 5 cigars. Wish we could figure out how to ship fuel cans to you guys.

Yeah, I might order a couple anyways and give it a try. The worst that can happen is I put them away and use them when I get home.

Adam here is what has worked for me. Cedar strips. Light the strips and then light the cigar with the strips. When you place an order for cigars just ask them to include some of the cedar sheets for packaging. Hate to see you ruin a good lighter with the butane you find over there. If not the PX has Bic lighters and they still get the job done.

Yeah, I have a ton of matches that I have been using. I never thought about asking for some cedar, that is a great idea. :tu