PDA

View Full Version : Any Mechanics out there?

Darrell
02-17-2011, 11:31 AM
I have an 04 Mustang (v6) with 62k miles on it.

The last few days the weather has been cold and wet.

When I put the clutch in to shift I get this noise that sounds like rubbing.

The clutch is tight and doesn't slip. Also, once the car warms up, the sound goes away.

Could it be the throw out bearing? Any info is appreciated.

JaKaacH
02-17-2011, 11:36 AM
The noise going away after warm up seems strange, usually a throw out brg if bad will make noise all the time while clutch is depressed.

Darrell
02-17-2011, 11:37 AM
The noise going away after warm up seems strange, usually a throw out brg if bad will make noise all the time while clutch is depressed.

Yeah usually after about five mins of driving the sound is gone. :sh

JaKaacH
02-17-2011, 11:45 AM
Is the noise there even when the clutch is not depressed?

Darrell
02-17-2011, 11:47 AM
Is the noise there even when the clutch is not depressed?

Nope, only when I disengage the clutch in order to shift.

JaKaacH
02-17-2011, 11:50 AM
Throw out brg then. Or is the clutch hydraulic assist?
Maybe something in that system making noise..I'm used to old fashioned mechanical clutches.
A throw out brg should last alot longer than 60,000+ miles

Darrell
02-17-2011, 11:56 AM
I appreciate your help Jeff. It seems to be a common problem (based off internet searches) but nobody posts the solution to it. I may have to take it in to the dealership. Oh joy. :td

bvilchez
02-17-2011, 12:00 PM
How about checking out the Mustang forums? That's what I do when I have a problem with either my bike, or either one of the 2 SUVs at home.

You learn a lot about your vehicle and some things you might even be able to do at home.

Flynnster
02-17-2011, 03:30 PM
moddedmustangs.com

Great info on there.

CRIMPS
02-17-2011, 03:50 PM
http://www.mustangforums.com/forum/

Matt-N-Ga
02-18-2011, 09:03 PM
Darrell, hope I'm not a day late and a dollar short, but heres what i've seen. I'm a Shop Foreman for a busy transmission shop. Usually, there are two cause of this particular noise, the first you mentioned. The Throwout bearing can indeed make noise when cold, it's due to the very thick grease the manufacturer uses, when it wears down, it's solidifies slightly more when cold and can make this noise.

The other cause is the pressure plate. A pressure plate uses either rubber or metal springs to dampen the sudden on/off clamping force exerted by the pressure plate. As these parts wear, clearances are created, cold makes these clearances even larger. Either way, if it goes away that quickly, I wouldn't worry too much about it. I've spent all winter chasing strange noises. I wouldn't waste your money on a dealership diagnosis. Get a free one done at a major transmission shop, just be sure to check their ratings. If you have any questions, PM me, I get those in my email so I'll know your asking. Hope this helps.