PDA

View Full Version : Nicotine Buzzzzzz

OHRD
02-16-2011, 01:17 PM
Looking for some techniques/experiences for avoiding/removing the dreaded nicotine buzz.

I've heard eat sugar immediately, or even before...but what are some good extra-sugary things to eat? Peppermints, skittles, other candies?

Other ideas?

I've been smoking cigars for probably 15 years, but still can't build up a tolerance; I love the flavor of fuller bodied cigars, but find myself stuck in the low-medium range.

Krish the Fish
02-16-2011, 01:20 PM
Eating carbs beforehand used to do the trick for me. There's a chipotle right beside my B&M, so I would always get a burrito before a smoke, and it used to do the trick.

However, I'm almost 3 years in (1 year since the big plunge though), and I can't get a buzz off anything anymore. I could go all day without eating and get nothing from a LFD DL-700 or a Camacho Triple Maduro. :(

Emjaysmash
02-16-2011, 01:23 PM
Big meal beforehand helps.

Drinking something like Coke while smoking helps. I've also heard chocolate works well.

NCRadioMan
02-16-2011, 01:28 PM
What you are feeling are symptoms of low blood-sugar. So, sugar is the cure for nicotine sickness. As said, drink a sugary drink while smoking. Have a full stomach. Go slow. It might be a good idea to keep some packets of sugar with you. As soon as you start to feel it, down one of the packets to help bring your blood-sugar back up. Pretty much anything with sugar in it.

OHRD
02-16-2011, 01:28 PM
Forgot to mention this - I weigh 130 pounds soaking wet!

Bill86
02-16-2011, 01:32 PM
I hate the horrible dreaded nicotine buzz too. I smoked cigarettes for 5 years and for some reason cigars will occasionally still get me. I usually eat before hand unless I know it's a more mild cigar. I'm not exactly sure if or how much weight plays into it. I'm not really a fan of those super full strength cigars anyways. I like a medium-full.

Emjaysmash
02-16-2011, 01:41 PM

You know, you could try those glucose tablets they have for diabetics to bring up their sugar in emergencies...

OHRD
02-16-2011, 01:44 PM
I've actually thought about being tested for diabetes, and probably need to - I wonder if that's affecting me. My dad is diabetic, and I frequently have some of the symptoms tied to it.

Emjaysmash
02-16-2011, 01:47 PM
I've actually thought about being tested for diabetes, and probably need to - I wonder if that's affecting me. My dad is diabetic, and I frequently have some of the symptoms tied to it.

Can't hurt to find out! Diabetes runs in my family as well, so it's a somewhat talked about topic in my family.

If you do have diabetes, smoking cigars definitely affects you.

TBone
02-16-2011, 01:55 PM
I find the miniature hersey dark chocolate helps knock out my nic headache in about 10 mins. Greatest secret known to a botl

wayner123
02-16-2011, 01:58 PM
Are you sure it's the nicotine?? A BOTL I know can handle cigarettes with no problem, but the thicker smoke of cigars get him every time.

ninjavanish
02-16-2011, 02:02 PM
Anything with REAL sugar will counteract mild nicotine poisoning.

The High Fructose Corn syrup in most sodas works well enough too.

A lot of Candies/chocolate work well enough.

If all else fails... get a tablespoon of sugar, drop it on your tongue and let it dissolve slowly.

Diet Drinks dont work very well because of the artificial sweetener.

The last time I felt queazy I grabbed a big dollop of icing from a birthday cake. Started feeling better within minutes.

Don't smoke strong cigars on an empty stomach. And also I've noticed a correlation between being hot and feeling sick... like smoking outside on a hot day in the sun... Doesn't do you any favors either.

druturn
02-16-2011, 02:02 PM

Well there's your problem! Put some meat on those bones! :r

JK, I don't really have the problem of nic buzzes from cigars. Then again, I weigh just a shade under 300 and use smokeless tobacco frequently. :r

hotreds
02-16-2011, 02:05 PM
Plain ole sugar in packets. Keep a few in your travel humi or by your smoke area, and down one or two when you start feeling it. As suggested, drink a non diet soda while you smoke. Smoke slowly. Don't smoke on an empty stomach. And, avoid some of the recent issues whose sole purpose of existing seems to be to knock you on your arse with 100% ligiero!

elderboy02
02-16-2011, 02:11 PM
I rarely get buzzed, but someone told me that the candy orange slices with all the sugar on the outside help.

Bill86
02-16-2011, 02:18 PM
Anything with REAL sugar will counteract mild nicotine poisoning.

The High Fructose Corn syrup in most sodas works well enough too.

A lot of Candies/chocolate work well enough.

If all else fails... get a tablespoon of sugar, drop it on your tongue and let it dissolve slowly.

Diet Drinks dont work very well because of the artificial sweetener.

The last time I felt queazy I grabbed a big dollop of icing from a birthday cake. Started feeling better within minutes.

Don't smoke strong cigars on an empty stomach. And also I've noticed a correlation between being hot and feeling sick... like smoking outside on a hot day in the sun... Doesn't do you any favors either.

Great point I forgot to mention. :tu I usually will only smoke in the shade or when the temperature is roughly 40-75.

MajorCaptSilly
02-16-2011, 02:22 PM
Plain ole sugar in packets. Keep a few in your travel humi or by your smoke area, and down one or two when you start feeling it. As suggested, drink a non diet soda while you smoke. Smoke slowly. Don't smoke on an empty stomach. And, avoid some of the recent issues whose sole purpose of existing seems to be to knock you on your arse with 100% ligiero!

I'm with Hugh. I use pure cane sugar packets. 1-2 will do in most cases.

MCS

Lucky_Hippo
02-16-2011, 02:23 PM
I keep plain old sugar cubes on hand. They’ve worked fast and consistently for me over the years. Eating a decent meal before smoking strong sticks helps as well. (As others have already mentioned above)

bajaraider
02-16-2011, 02:24 PM
All great tips. Thanks guys!!!

JDTexan
02-16-2011, 02:25 PM
What symptoms do you all fell due to nicotine poisoning/buzz? I have been nauseous before but that happens in the rare occasion. If I catch a buzz off of a cigar it is usually just a light head.

NCRadioMan
02-16-2011, 02:28 PM
What symptoms do you all fell due to nicotine poisoning/buzz? I have been nauseous before but that happens in the rare occasion. If I catch a buzz off of a cigar it is usually just a light head.

When we first start a cigar, the blood-sugar level rises but since it takes a while to smoke a cigar that supply slowly diminishes. Then nicotine circulating in the bloodstream prior to metabolism tends to collect in the pancreas, causing the pancreas to produce more insulin than normal. The excess amount of insulin causes blood-sugar to drop, resulting in nausea, high blood pressure, and other undesireable effects that we sometimes experience with cigars including, sweating, being light-headed and a general "green" feeling. Consumption of sugar gives the insulin something to break down, causing blood sugar to rise and mitigating the short-term effects of nicotine on the pancreas.

Nathan King
02-16-2011, 02:29 PM

Cold sweat, dizziness, nausea, light headedness, pale complexion, and tingling extremities are some symptoms I have personally experienced after having two full bodied cigars on an empty stomach in the morning.

OHRD
02-16-2011, 02:32 PM
Cold sweat, dizziness, nausea, light headedness, pale complexion, and tingling extremities are some symptoms I have personally experienced after having two full bodied cigars on an empty stomach in the morning.

Yes, those describe my symptoms perfectly! I don't get a headache, just get lightheaded and queasy stomach...most of the time I know when to stop, but I think I threw up twice in 2010.

OHRD
02-16-2011, 02:33 PM
I thew up on a La Aurora 107, can't remember the other one, and I thought the 107 was medium...it sneak-attacked me!

JDTexan
02-16-2011, 02:33 PM
When we first start a cigar, the blood-sugar level rises but since it takes a while to smoke a cigar that supply slowly diminishes. Then nicotine circulating in the bloodstream prior to metabolism tends to collect in the pancreas, causing the pancreas to produce more insulin than normal. The excess amount of insulin causes blood-sugar to drop, resulting in nausea, high blood pressure, and other undesireable effects that we sometimes experience with cigars including, sweating, being light-headed and a general "green" feeling. Consumption of sugar gives the insulin something to break down, causing blood sugar to rise and mitigating the short-term effects of nicotine on the pancreas.

That is great information, thank you sir. I have for the longest time just rode out the effects. Good to know for over a decade I suffered when there has been a solution.:sl

Zeuceone
02-16-2011, 02:36 PM
I thew up on a La Aurora 107, can't remember the other one, and I thought the 107 was medium...it sneak-attacked me!

the guy at the B&M warned me about it when they got them in. smoked on a full stomach and enjoyed it.

OHRD
02-16-2011, 02:38 PM
I'm going to experiment w/ this soon, maybe over the weekend - pull out a medium-full smoke and pop a spoon of sugar before, during, and after...

If I still puke, I know at least 3 people to blame!

Whee
02-16-2011, 03:25 PM
Try to always have a pack of plain M&Ms with me when I know it's going to be one of those days.:D

loki993
02-16-2011, 04:09 PM
Hmm, I guess from smoking all thous years I have built one up. Sometime I get a light buzz, but nothing serious. Once I did get a pretty good one though, I just sat there and waited it out, goes away after a few minutes Ive noticed.

I make sure if Im going to have a strong ciger that I dont do it on an empty stomach

bajaraider
02-16-2011, 04:11 PM
Our lounge usually keeps a few light snacks on hand. One of which is a jar of chocolate candies. Never actually put two and two together that it has helped take care of the light buzz if and when I have gotten one.

Mugen910
02-16-2011, 04:41 PM
never smoke on an empty stomach
drink root beer
table spoon of sugar
fudge popsicle
smoke slower
smoke in a better ventilated area.

pick one

G22inSC
02-18-2011, 03:31 PM
I have come to the discovery I am having a problem smoking most any cigar. The last few days I have smoked some "mild" cigars that in the past would never have given a thought about smoking; however, they are now knocking me off my rocker. The wife has finally started a massive diet and my caloric intake is about a quarter of what it used to be. I don't quite know how to go about combating the nausea/headache problem without upping the calories. Any ideas?

NCRadioMan
02-18-2011, 03:38 PM
I have come to the discovery I am having a problem smoking most any cigar. The last few days I have smoked some "mild" cigars that in the past would never have given a thought about smoking; however, they are now knocking me off my rocker. The wife has finally started a massive diet and my caloric intake is about a quarter of what it used to be. I don't quite know how to go about combating the nausea/headache problem without upping the calories. Any ideas?

Sugar is 38 calories a teaspoon, that it. That's all you need.

Flynnster
02-18-2011, 03:55 PM
Man, I feel like an idiot!!!! I just smoked a Oliva G series and it made me light headed?!? i ate a sammich before just in case. It's been a few months before I had a cigar but still!

I think it may have been I smoked it too fast as I was walking around outside in the wind and had to puff pretty often to keep it lit. Remembered this thread, came home drank a coke and I'm good.

enlightenedcigar
02-18-2011, 10:06 PM
I drink a lot of sweet tea while I smoke. Try that out.

BSB
02-19-2011, 10:44 AM
Coke is the ticket. I find it cleanses the palate as well.

thecatch83
02-19-2011, 11:01 AM
I like the buzz sometimes......