PDA

View Full Version : new lighter or new cutter?

rebelknight
02-15-2011, 01:00 PM
So my girlfriend gave me an early birthday present since she will be in Germany for my real birthday. She gave me a gift certificate to one of the local B&M's. I'd like to use it towards either a lighter or a cutter. I was wondering which I should buy and if there is a specific brand/model people really like and that I should consider. Thanks for the help.

kelmac07
02-15-2011, 01:02 PM
Xikar X8 Cutter...best $ 25 you'll spend!! :tu :tu

CigarNut
02-15-2011, 01:09 PM
Get the best of both -- a lighter with a built in punch. There are several out there.

TBone
02-15-2011, 01:15 PM

Ditto

Krish the Fish
02-15-2011, 01:15 PM
Get a lighter. Trust me.

kickerb
02-15-2011, 01:24 PM
depends on what you need more, lighter or cutter. if its not need, just something you want? ...it would be a lighter for me. I really like those Xikar EX models, natural flame butane :)

Bill86
02-15-2011, 01:29 PM
You can score a lot of accessories on the SUPER cheap off cigar monster. I believe the X8 is like $19 to your door with the monster.

I'd go with a lighter, something nice. Or a Palio if you don't have one. I've been using my 009 punch a lot lately, very nice punch.

kaisersozei
02-15-2011, 02:23 PM
If you need both, I'd lean for a cutter. You can always light a cigar with matches, or a tabletop at your B&M, or a $3 torch from Walmart. But nothing beats a clean cut, and if you're using those 99c guillotines, you'll see what I mean when you upgrade to a quality cutter.

kydsid
02-15-2011, 02:45 PM
i say lighter. i can cut a cigar with my teeth, but despite all my mothers pleas to poop fire and save matches it never worked.
Posted via Mobile Device

awsmith4
02-15-2011, 02:48 PM
I vote Palio Cutter or Xikar Lighter (or both)

However it needs to be pointed out that the B&Ms in Germany sell things we can't get in our B&Ms, just sayin'...

Zeuceone
02-15-2011, 02:52 PM

This. then register it for the free leather sheath.

md4958
02-15-2011, 02:59 PM
Buy yourself a Palio cutter. Then take your left over money and buy a bunch of these lighters: http://www.dealextreme.com/p/compact-1300-c-butane-jet-lighter-4179

It will be the best $2.69 you ever spent... and you could probably even afford a bottle or two of butane afterwards :tu

Edit: Forgot to add, the owner of Palio, Mark (OpusX) is a longtime member here and a helluva nice guy.

awsmith4
02-15-2011, 03:10 PM
Buy yourself a Palio cutter. Then take your left over money and buy a bunch of these lighters: http://www.dealextreme.com/p/compact-1300-c-butane-jet-lighter-4179

It will be the best $2.69 you ever spent... and you could probably even afford a bottle or two of butane afterwards :tu

Edit: Forgot to add, the owner of Palio, Mark (OpusX) is a longtime member here and a helluva nice guy.

I've also had good luck with this lighter as well

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/jet-1300-c-butane-lighter-1320

Bill86
02-15-2011, 03:16 PM
I vote Palio Cutter or Xikar Lighter (or both)

However it needs to be pointed out that the B&Ms in Germany sell things we can't get in our B&Ms, just sayin'...

What this man said I didn't even think of that. How could it have slipped my mind, I think I was too busy :ss

Maybe toss some coin to your gf and have her bring you home a nice 5'er - 10er, heck maybe even a box!

Zeuceone
02-15-2011, 03:16 PM

A BOTL gifted me one of these lighters and the other day when i was done using it, all the butane escaped.

markem
02-15-2011, 03:17 PM
Since your local B&M is where you need to spend the gift certificate (a hint to those proposing purchases from HK)...

Go in and look around at what the B&M has. If it were me, I'd look for something that had a look that both of you would like, thus making it a true her-to-me gift. If you have multiple selections that you like, you can always take a pic with a cell phone and post it here for some opinions.

I have a burl Palio, but many like the carbon fiber much better (I also have one of those, but have never used it). I tend to go for function over looks for a lighter and so have the deal extreme that has already been mentioned here.

I have also used the Xikar in the past. For my uses, the Palio is superior, but you may find one better than the other based on your use. I have friend who uses the Xikar Xi MTX Multi-Tool, which I think has big bling value.

md4958
02-15-2011, 03:30 PM
A BOTL gifted me one of these lighters and the other day when i was done using it, all the butane escaped.

Good thing it was free!

md4958
02-15-2011, 03:31 PM
Since your local B&M is where you need to spend the gift certificate (a hint to those proposing purchases from HK)...

Go in and look around at what the B&M has. If it were me, I'd look for something that had a look that both of you would like, thus making it a true her-to-me gift. If you have multiple selections that you like, you can always take a pic with a cell phone and post it here for some opinions.

I have a burl Palio, but many like the carbon fiber much better (I also have one of those, but have never used it). I tend to go for function over looks for a lighter and so have the deal extreme that has already been mentioned here.

I have also used the Xikar in the past. For my uses, the Palio is superior, but you may find one better than the other based on your use. I have friend who uses the Xikar Xi MTX Multi-Tool, which I think has big bling value.

Great thoughts Mark

Zeuceone
02-15-2011, 03:31 PM
im going to mess with it and see if i can get it to work again.

md4958
02-15-2011, 03:33 PM
im going to mess with it and see if i can get it to work again.

for under $3 you can get a new one :2

Zeuceone
02-15-2011, 03:41 PM
for under $3 you can get a new one :2

i only used it a few times and hate to see it go so fast. i put some butane in it and its holding it in so far.

pektel
02-15-2011, 03:52 PM
I only say cutter because I lose lighters way too often to invest in a "nice" one. Been dying to get a palio. I'll have to pull the trigger soon. I've been using a CI freebie or a punch.

joeobx
02-15-2011, 08:02 PM
I say a nice cutter, then pick up a ronson from wally world for

gravelman
02-15-2011, 11:24 PM
I say a nice cutter, then pick up a ronson from wally world for

I love my ronson I got from my first trade. Pick out a nice cutter that you'll enjoy for quite some time.

rebelknight
02-17-2011, 08:37 AM
I'm leaning towards lighter right now but I won't have time to go pick anything up for about a week. I have three papers, two midterms, a group project, a quiz and some other work I need to get done before I can get out. Ill post a picture of whatever I buy when the day comes. Thanks for the input

captain53
02-17-2011, 09:18 AM
Kind of depends on how many $ you got - not a lot of reason to spend more than $25 or so on a cutter other than if you just want something to look at more than use. Now when it comes to lighters the sky is the limit with nice lighters to enjoy for life. For $10 or under you can get a $3 Ronson or one of many other low cost ones that work good but to really step it up you are going to generally be over $50. Just My :2

mmblz
02-17-2011, 09:55 AM
new cigars :D

NCRadioMan
02-17-2011, 10:57 AM
new cigars :D

Yeah, the ones you can get in Germany. ;)

Palio......A Cut Above

I am a cheap lighter guy. The current one I use is a triple torch I got for $4 and have used it over a year.

hscmit
02-17-2011, 12:11 PM
nice cutter

rebelknight
02-17-2011, 01:12 PM
Yeah, the ones you can get in Germany. ;)

Palio......A Cut Above

I am a cheap lighter guy. The current one I use is a triple torch I got for $4 and have used it over a year.

Believe me I've already thought about the things I can get in Germany. Also I don't want to spend the gift certificate on cigars because I never have a problem justifying spending my own money on cigars but for a lighter/cutter it is perfect. When I do buy myself a new cutter I've already decided it will be a palio.

innova
02-18-2011, 07:46 PM
For every cigar, I use the cutter only once, the lighter, quit a few times more than that. So I think there's more gratification in a nice lighter purchase. If you think you've made up your mind this far into my post, once I got a Palio, I couldn't believe how I had been torturing my cigars up to that point. If you feel it's getting dull, trade it in! All that being said, I think you'll enjoy the lighter more since you do use it quite a bit more than a cutter.

my $0.02

-innova

rebelknight
03-01-2011, 08:24 PM
Well I'm positive I will be buying a lighter now because an awesome botl and even better friend, Krishna (Krish the Fish) decided to surprise me with this bad boy today. I should have known something was up when I went to buy this and he told me to wait. Sorry for the image size and poor quality. I'll try to get a better picture up. In case you can't see it it's a palio cutter.

innova
03-01-2011, 08:26 PM
:noon

awsmith4
03-01-2011, 08:46 PM
:tu:tu:tu

markem
03-01-2011, 10:32 PM
very nice!

It looks like it is green, to me. The palio website doesn't show that as a possible option. Anyone know if this is a custom or special order? Looks cool to me!

emopunker2004
03-01-2011, 10:41 PM
very nice!

It looks like it is green, to me. The palio website doesn't show that as a possible option. Anyone know if this is a custom or special order? Looks cool to me!

me thinks it's just the lighting

BlindedByScience
03-01-2011, 10:54 PM
I have a Palio, and a nice Xikar cutter, and a great Blazer torch. But, the tool I recently bought that I dig the most is the wonderful Swiss Army Cigar Knife (http://www.swissarmy.com/MultiTools/Pages/Product.aspx?category=sportsandleisure&product=54850&).

Three sizes of the sharpest punches I've ever used. Razor sharp little knife. Just a fantastic little tool for enjoying your cigars.

N.F.H.

rebelknight
03-01-2011, 11:09 PM
very nice!

It's black. I'm sorry for getting your hopes up. Just poor lighting/use of a camera

rebelknight
03-04-2011, 10:59 PM
And here is the lighter I picked up today. It's a Xikar Crossover.

Bill86
03-04-2011, 11:06 PM
Looks like this thread was a success, you got a Palio cutter and Xikar Lighter :tu Congrats you'll enjoy them both.

joeobx
03-05-2011, 05:34 AM
Cool pick ups

longknocker
03-05-2011, 05:47 AM
Excellent Pick-Ups! Congrats!:tu I've Never Had A Problem With My Palio Cutter, But One Of My Xikar Lighters Didn't Light Consistently. Sent It Back To Xikar & They Sent Me A New One Within 2 Weeks!:banger Great Customer Service & Be Sure To Fill Out The Warranty On The Xikar Website For A Free Sheath To Store Your Lighter! Enjoy!:tu
www.xikar.com Click To The Upper Left Corner "Warranty Free Sheath".

MurphysLaw
03-05-2011, 06:02 AM
Nice buys, both of those are on my list to buy!

rebelknight
03-05-2011, 11:08 AM
Excellent Pick-Ups! Congrats!:tu I've Never Had A Problem With My Palio Cutter, But One Of My Xikar Lighters Didn't Light Consistently. Sent It Back To Xikar & They Sent Me A New One Within 2 Weeks!:banger Great Customer Service & Be Sure To Fill Out The Warranty On The Xikar Website For A Free Sheath To Store Your Lighter! Enjoy!:tu
www.xikar.com Click To The Upper Left Corner "Warranty Free Sheath".

Thanks for the help. Just registered.

Nice buys, both of those are on my list to buy!

I've already used the cutter and I love it. I'll let you know how I like the lighter once I get a little more use. I hope you enjoy them as much as I am.

Krish the Fish
03-06-2011, 01:34 PM
Get a lighter. Trust me.

There was a reason for this post :r

OLS
03-08-2011, 10:29 AM
i say lighter. i can ruin a cigar with my teeth, but...

Fixed it for you, lol. I always wanted to say that. Seems like a trend.