PDA

View Full Version : Power of attorney question

forgop
02-14-2011, 02:00 PM
Anyone know if a POA can revoke the POA of another in the case that the other is a drug addict and not of sound mind for the party at hand? Got an UGLY situation on my hands for my 85 year old grandfather.

bobarian
02-14-2011, 02:07 PM
Depending on the laws in your state it will probably be necessary to file a form revoking the previous POA. :2

croatan
02-14-2011, 02:12 PM
No clue about Indiana, but generally, powers of attorney are revoked by 1) the principal executing and filing a revocation, 2) the principal's death, or 3) the appointment of a guardian for the estate of the principal.

In your situation, is the principal for some reason unable to revoke the power of attorney she gave?

forgop
02-14-2011, 02:15 PM
Depending on the laws in your state it will probably be necessary to file a form revoking the previous POA. :2

I figure that's a given, but I'm curious if it can be done without the "consent" of my gpa should my uncle try to go through with it. My aunt was kicked out of the hospital for her actions on drugs and nobody wants her to have any legal authority to decide anything with regards to his health or financial matters.

forgop
02-14-2011, 02:20 PM
In your situation, is the principal for some reason unable to revoke the power of attorney she gave?

let's just say my aunt is a complete mind (word retracted to not offend eyes of others), that he let's her have her way just to get her to shut up. He's only agreed to this stuff over the years because of numerous threats of killing herself if she doesn't get her way.

He could, but he just doesn't want the headache of her b!tching at him about anything. We're just trying to give him some peace and quiet.

forgop
02-14-2011, 03:16 PM
Disregard-just got word that my gpa will be signing the POA stuff tomorrow and having my aunt's revoked.

This whole situation is a Charley Foxtrot.

GolfNut
02-14-2011, 03:31 PM
Geez Duane, sorry to hear you're going through all that. As for family nuts that fell off the tree, well, just keep a wood chipper handy.........all I'm sayin.....