PDA

View Full Version : First post! And a long term storage question

Frosty288
02-14-2011, 07:48 AM
Hey all!
I've been lurking the forums for a bit now and I think this is the best community for cigar maniacs; and am glad to be a part of it.

So with that I have a question - is it okay to keep cigars in a humidified wine cellar? From all the reading i've done, I see that refrigerators and such can suck the humidity out of your cigars if you're using it as a form of storage. However, the wine cellar is kept at a constant humidity of %65 and a temperature of 55. I have a second small 25ct I keep some of my finer things in and was wondering if it would be okay to store them in there long term under those conditions.

What do you guys think?

md4958
02-14-2011, 07:52 AM
I dont see why not. As long as you have a stable humidity, there shouldnt be any problems... its pretty much a walk-in humidor that you just happen to have wine in as well.

Mugen910
02-14-2011, 07:52 AM
Go introduce yourself in the new member section.

HK3-
02-14-2011, 07:55 AM
yes.

TBone
02-14-2011, 08:01 AM

This would be the right thing to do before asking questions...just sayin

Bruzee
02-14-2011, 08:08 AM

This would be the right thing to do before asking questions...just sayin

Would you guys lay off the poor guy? :D

Frosty288
02-14-2011, 08:09 AM
lol

sorry guys..heading over to correct section now though I think I have missed my first impression

Mugen910
02-14-2011, 08:12 AM
Would you guys lay off the poor guy? :D

bite me Dustin! ;)

shilala
02-14-2011, 08:22 AM
lol

sorry guys..heading over to correct section now though I think I have missed my first impression
Don't sweat it, they were just jerking your chain.
And on your question, hell yeah. It's work just fine. :tu

emopunker2004
02-14-2011, 08:31 AM
lol

gotta have a sense of humor around here...some characters lurk on this forum :D

Mugen910
02-14-2011, 08:39 AM
I dont see why not. As long as you have a stable humidity, there shouldnt be any problems... its pretty much a walk-in humidor that you just happen to have wine in as well.

:tpd:

Devanmc
02-14-2011, 09:09 AM
That is a very valid question, I believe that should be fine for cigars. As long as the room doesn't have the strong smell of wine.

Welcome!
Posted via Mobile Device

mosesbotbol
02-14-2011, 09:10 AM
Your wine cellar is fine for long term storage, perhaps on the humid side actually at that temp. I would not worry at all.

markem
02-14-2011, 09:28 AM
The only thing I would caution on is this: if you are storing other items in the same space, ensure that there is not any potential cross contamination. With traditional wine storage, one doesn't care much about molds or yeasts. These can be problematic for cigars, esp the molds. If you wipe down the wine bottles and other containers with something like rubbing alcohol or a weak bleach solution, you should be good to go.

Mind you, this is a bit extreme, but as a former wine collector, I could tell you horror stories of what tended to grow in the back of the wine racks and corners of the storage.

Frosty288
02-14-2011, 09:34 AM
Hmm, i'll have to keep track of this.. would air-borne yeasts even be a problem for cigars kept inside of their humidor?

I'd say the size of the wine cellar is that of a good pantry. I'll have to inspect the nether-regions of the room to see if I can find anything uninviting

itzfrank
02-14-2011, 09:41 AM
gotta have a sense of humor around here...some characters lurk on this forum :D

That's not fair...

I got acquitted.

:r

shilala
02-14-2011, 11:42 AM
The only thing I would caution on is this: if you are storing other items in the same space, ensure that there is not any potential cross contamination. With traditional wine storage, one doesn't care much about molds or yeasts. These can be problematic for cigars, esp the molds. If you wipe down the wine bottles and other containers with something like rubbing alcohol or a weak bleach solution, you should be good to go.

Mind you, this is a bit extreme, but as a former wine collector, I could tell you horror stories of what tended to grow in the back of the wine racks and corners of the storage.
Mark, he said the closet is kept at 65%. So long as it stays below 80%, mold shouldn't be a problem at all.
Someone in another thread mentioned "imparting cigar smells through the cork". I thought that was a stretch of the imagination, maybe you'll speak on that. I don't know how easy stuff goes in and out of cork, or if it would possibly affect the wine.
It won't affect our wine here because it doesn't last long enough before Lisa and the girls drink it, so I wouldn't be concerned, but maybe a collector would?
Were it me, I don't think I'd even take a chance if I were collecting expensive wine, or long-storing it, anymore than I'd put Acids around my cigars. Granted that ain't apples to apples, but I'd still like to hear what you think. I'll be building a cellar somewhere along the way, and I'd really like to get some opinions.
/threadjack terminated

markem
02-14-2011, 12:25 PM
Mark, he said the closet is kept at 65%. So long as it stays below 80%, mold shouldn't be a problem at all.
Someone in another thread mentioned "imparting cigar smells through the cork". I thought that was a stretch of the imagination, maybe you'll speak on that. I don't know how easy stuff goes in and out of cork, or if it would possibly affect the wine.
It won't affect our wine here because it doesn't last long enough before Lisa and the girls drink it, so I wouldn't be concerned, but maybe a collector would?
/threadjack terminated

Can't say for certain, Scott, since I've never stored wine and cigars in a way that they had direct air exchange.

Just to play devil's advocate, you seem to be indicating that if someone finds a cigar with mold on it that removing the mold is an unnecessary step as long as they store the cigar (going forward) below 80%? ;)

SvilleKid
02-14-2011, 12:45 PM
The only valid question/response I see that hasn't been addressed is: "Where are you going to keep you wine after the cigars take over the cellar?":D

Devanmc
02-14-2011, 12:47 PM
That is so true! :r
Posted via Mobile Device

Frosty288
02-14-2011, 01:16 PM
Sweet! I'll move all my stogies in there this weekend and make sure to take a picture or two

Bruzee
02-14-2011, 03:09 PM
bite me Dustin! ;)

:r