PDA

View Full Version : Just got an Otterbox for the iPad...

shilala
02-12-2011, 01:14 PM
So far, so good. I had one for my 3GS iPhone, now my iPhone 4. It looks great, I'm just waiting to see how I like it. This is my test run. :)

longknocker
02-12-2011, 01:31 PM
So far, so good. I had one for my 3GS iPhone, now my iPhone 4. It looks great, I'm just waiting to see how I like it. This is my test run. :)

Almost Everyone I Know Uses Otterbox For Their i-Phone, Scott; Should Work Great With The iPad, Too!:tu

Bill86
02-12-2011, 01:34 PM
Posting from my otterboxed iPhone right now. I'm sure it's one of the best cases for the ipad as well.

captain53
02-12-2011, 02:15 PM
I got the Defender on my Droid X and while it makes the function buttons a little more difficult to operate it performed an amazing save on Day 2 of use. Reached for the phone on my belt and knocked it off to then hear a crash as it hit the concrete floor in Home Depot. Oh $xxt was the first expression but "amazing" was next as I picked up the phone and it was undamaged. :tu

CigarNut
02-12-2011, 02:53 PM
:np

Beagleone
02-12-2011, 07:04 PM
I've used the Defender for the iPhone (too bulky), and switched to the Commuter for my 3GS, then for the 4. I've seen the Otterbox for the iPad and personally, I think it is too bulky. A friend had a difficult time slipping her iPad into the case, then gave up after a few weeks. If you toss it around, etc, it is worth it, but I'll stay with the Apple iPad case for now.

jonumberone
02-12-2011, 07:23 PM
Been using one for the I-pad since Christmas. I don't think it is designed as well as the one for the phone. Biggest drawbacks are the screen protector, just a clear film and not actually connected to the case, the large clip that has to be removed to charge, and the added weight. That said it is a very solid case and it does its job especially with a two year old running around!

TBone
02-12-2011, 07:24 PM

ditto

dunng
02-12-2011, 07:50 PM
I've always loved my Otterbox! However, after visiting MacWorld...

www.iballz.info (very cool concept)
www.seidioonline.com (I have used them on my BB for years)
www.modulRcase.com (picked up this at MacWorld)
www.zagg.com (I love their screen protectors and tempted to buy the ZaggMate)
www.usplusu.com
www.mymophie.com
www.sleeve360.com
www.tabgrip.com
www.trexta.com
www.ektopad.com
www.gelaskins.com
www.handeholder.com
www.thehandstand.com
www.fastmac.com
www.keydex.com.tw
www.moshimonde.com
www.revenastyle.com

(I am not endorsing any of these products but just passing them on as a public service)

shilala
02-13-2011, 06:47 AM

ditto

Agreed...

http://www.freefoto.com/images/806/11/806_11_7732---Cow_web.jpg?&k=Cow

captain53
02-13-2011, 09:13 AM
Agreed...

http://www.freefoto.com/images/806/11/806_11_7732---Cow_web.jpg?&k=Cow

:=::tu

CigarNut
02-13-2011, 12:28 PM
Agreed...

http://www.freefoto.com/images/806/11/806_11_7732---Cow_web.jpg?&k=CowUsing the nostrils to control your iPad might annoy the cow...

bonjing
02-13-2011, 05:16 PM
I bought the gf the otter box case for the i4 and I know it has saved the phone a few times; she finally admitted to me that she has dropped it on occasion. I told her she couldn't use the phone till the case came in, glad I did.

But my friend who has an HTC, showed me a "ballistic case." We were at In n' Out burger and he basically tossed the phone at the wall from about 7' and it didn't do a thing to the phone. I wouldn't try that with my phone but that was pretty impressive. Now it does make the phone BULKY, but I think once the otter box's exterior skin falls apart, this may be her new case.

here is the website of the case if anyone is interested

http://www.goballisticcase.com/products/iphone-4-ballistic-hc-series-case

I've always loved my Otterbox! However, after visiting MacWorld...

www.iballz.info (very cool concept)
www.seidioonline.com (I have used them on my BB for years)
www.modulRcase.com (picked up this at MacWorld)
www.zagg.com (I love their screen protectors and tempted to buy the ZaggMate)
www.usplusu.com
www.mymophie.com
www.sleeve360.com
www.tabgrip.com
www.trexta.com
www.ektopad.com
www.gelaskins.com
www.handeholder.com
www.thehandstand.com
www.fastmac.com
www.keydex.com.tw
www.moshimonde.com
www.revenastyle.com

(I am not endorsing any of these products but just passing them on as a public service)

shilala
02-14-2011, 07:16 AM
I bought the gf the otter box case for the i4 and I know it has saved the phone a few times; she finally admitted to me that she has dropped it on occasion. I told her she couldn't use the phone till the case came in, glad I did.

But my friend who has an HTC, showed me a "ballistic case." We were at In n' Out burger and he basically tossed the phone at the wall from about 7' and it didn't do a thing to the phone. I wouldn't try that with my phone but that was pretty impressive. Now it does make the phone BULKY, but I think once the otter box's exterior skin falls apart, this may be her new case.

here is the website of the case if anyone is interested

http://www.goballisticcase.com/products/iphone-4-ballistic-hc-series-case

That case is interesting, Greg.
I thought "looks like an otterbox ripoff" and "geez, it looks even bulkier than my otterbox". Lisa wandered by and I showed her. She said "it looks a bit mannish."
I showed her because we were just in the kitchen minutes ago and I told her she needs to look at otterbox colors cause I ordered her an iphone 4 last night.
She wants to look at some different cases aside from the otterbox, as well. Not because she doesn't love the otterbox, but she just wanted to see what's new out there. I don't think Ballistic will get the nod. :D
After seeing the $29.99 pricetag compared to the $49.95 pricetag of the Defender, I can see where Ballistic could carve out a good audience. It appears to be the same thing at about half the price.
I wouldn't go with Ballistic, just because of brand loyalty. The Otterbox has saved my phones countless times and kept them in pristine condition for resale. If I got a Ballistic and broke my phone, I'd feel like an idiot, ya know?
What I'll say now, after looking them over, is "Had I never met Otterbox, I'd certainly have one".
I wish I could check one out and compare it to Otterbox, side by side, to see if the extra 20 bucks Otterbox charges is warranted.

smitdavi
02-14-2011, 07:25 AM
Been using my ob for the ipad for about 4 months now. Love it. Def worth the money. No complaints here.

shilala
02-14-2011, 07:44 AM
Been using my ob for the ipad for about 4 months now. Love it. Def worth the money. No complaints here.
If there's anything I noticed, it's the substantial weight it's added. I was used to the ipad cover I made from Walnut (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=33394&highlight=ipad), and this thing is a lot heavier, if you can believe that. Not quite as functional, either.
I am totally happy with what I got for the money, it's totally badass. I'm just not sure if I like it better than my other case. Yet. :)

croatan
02-14-2011, 08:52 AM
Personally, I really disliked the Otterbox iPad case. I thought it made the whole thing way too heavy (see Beagleone's post above--pretty sure he was talking about us). But I feel the same way about the iPhone--if I buy a slim and light device, I want it to stay slim and light.

shilala
02-14-2011, 09:16 AM
Personally, I really disliked the Otterbox iPad case. I thought it made the whole thing way too heavy (see Beagleone's post above--pretty sure he was talking about us). But I feel the same way about the iPhone--if I buy a slim and light device, I want it to stay slim and light.
I agree with the heavy on the ipad, and I can see the "slim and light" thing. I'm rough and my phone takes a beating, plus I insist on keeping all my stuff in pristine condition, so the iphone otterbox is a tradeoff for me.
I'd love to not have a case on it, but if it got one scratch on the face, it'd drive me nuts.

shilala
02-14-2011, 09:20 AM
I should also add that Lisa and I tried four or five different slim cases and they were all junk. The Frogbox, or whatever it was called, was the best of all of them, but it was bulkyish, and it fell apart in a month's time.
The coolest we tried were Noel Eternity Series. They were shiny metallic with a mirror face cover. Simply awesome. But we had to take them off for the GPS to work. That was both maddening and senseless.
To date, the Defender is the lesser of the evils for us.

aich75013
02-14-2011, 09:46 AM
My wife just got me an iPad for Valentines Day.
I bought the Apple case for now. I like it so far because it is slim, although I'm not sure how much protection it provides.
I was just taking a look at the Otterbox Commuter, but it doesn't seem to protect the front. I was afraid the Defender would be too bulky, and it sounds like it would be for me.
I don't have one for my iPhone bacause I don't like the bulkiness. I use an InCase Slider for my iPhone 4. Not too bulky and slips in/out of my pocket easily. Decent protection too.

shilala
02-14-2011, 11:33 AM
My wife just got me an iPad for Valentines Day.
I bought the Apple case for now. I like it so far because it is slim, although I'm not sure how much protection it provides.
I was just taking a look at the Otterbox Commuter, but it doesn't seem to protect the front. I was afraid the Defender would be too bulky, and it sounds like it would be for me.
I don't have one for my iPhone bacause I don't like the bulkiness. I use an InCase Slider for my iPhone 4. Not too bulky and slips in/out of my pocket easily. Decent protection too.
Adrian, it definately turns the ipad into a beast. One other thing is that the Defender for the ipad just has a stick-on screen protector. The back pops off and snaps on the front for protection when it's not in use, traveling, etc.
If kids are involved, it's a great idea. If not, the slipcover is fine.
I had a slipcover (Apple) and I hated it. Mainly because it was cheap and the material (rubber?) picked up all kinds of dirt. It just got plain gross from the kids.

bonjing
02-14-2011, 04:50 PM
That case is interesting, Greg.
I thought "looks like an otterbox ripoff" and "geez, it looks even bulkier than my otterbox". Lisa wandered by and I showed her. She said "it looks a bit mannish."
I showed her because we were just in the kitchen minutes ago and I told her she needs to look at otterbox colors cause I ordered her an iphone 4 last night.
She wants to look at some different cases aside from the otterbox, as well. Not because she doesn't love the otterbox, but she just wanted to see what's new out there. I don't think Ballistic will get the nod. :D
After seeing the $29.99 pricetag compared to the $49.95 pricetag of the Defender, I can see where Ballistic could carve out a good audience. It appears to be the same thing at about half the price.
I wouldn't go with Ballistic, just because of brand loyalty. The Otterbox has saved my phones countless times and kept them in pristine condition for resale. If I got a Ballistic and broke my phone, I'd feel like an idiot, ya know?
What I'll say now, after looking them over, is "Had I never met Otterbox, I'd certainly have one".
I wish I could check one out and compare it to Otterbox, side by side, to see if the extra 20 bucks Otterbox charges is warranted.

I love my otterbox cigar and (her) phone case. Somehow she has managed to mangle the rubber sleeve for her phone and will probably be looking for a new case pretty soon. I'm guessing it's because she just drops the thing in her bag without using the carrier to help protect it. I'm guessing my girlfriend will probably not go for the ballistic either, but hey it's another option. I'm thinking that it does look pretty cool and not to many people have it yet is what is attractive to me.

The ballistic case does look a lot bulkier than the otterbox and that would be the major downside to me ordering one. I know that the otterbox has performed very well for her and has save the phone from abuse. Seeing the video demo on the ballistic website and seeing what my friend did to his phone makes me very curious to try one out.

shilala
02-14-2011, 06:32 PM
Somehow she has managed to mangle the rubber sleeve for her phone and will probably be looking for a new case pretty soon.
If it helps, I saw just plain rubber sleeves for otterbox on ebay. I forget which iphone she has, but I'm pretty sure I found them for both the 3gs and 4. Real cheap, too. :tu
Who'd have thunk it, right?

bonjing
02-14-2011, 07:05 PM
Thank you for the tip Sir! Never would have thought of checking ebay $13 - $16 is not too bad, I've never used ebay for anything. I know she's been wanting a different color case though, so maybe she mangled it up on purpose:tf:hm

shilala
02-14-2011, 08:05 PM
Thank you for the tip Sir! Never would have thought of checking ebay $13 - $16 is not too bad, I've never used ebay for anything. I know she's been wanting a different color case though, so maybe she mangled it up on purpose:tf:hm
If you go to otter box.com, you can get the model number of the color she likes and search it on eBay in two shakes. I got brand new in package for half of what I paid for mine at radio shack. :tu

aich75013
04-28-2011, 12:28 PM
Well Scott,
Kinda late, but I'm going to take you advice.
I ordered an Otterbox defender for the iPad (should arrive tomorrow) and preordered one for our new iPad 2.
Last night my 2yr old dropped the new iPad 2 (got it on Monday) and the screen cracked. It's a light crack near the camera but the cracks stretch along the top 1/3. I had a smart cover on it, but that provides no protection.
I took it to Apple to try to get the screen replaced and they are going to replace the entire iPad for free. They had to order one and said it would take 3-5 days. I was pretty sad, but the Apple guys are great! I can't think of another store that would have done that for me.

Bad pic, but you get the idea: http://i1021.photobucket.com/albums/af335/aich75013/2e8b4bfe.jpg

Blueface
04-28-2011, 12:50 PM
Well Scott,
I ordered an Otterbox defender for the iPad (should arrive tomorrow) and preordered one for our new iPad 2.
Last night my 2yr old dropped the new iPad 2 (got it on Monday) and the screen cracked. It's a light crack near the camera but the cracks stretch along the top 1/3. I had a smart cover on it, but that provides no protection.
I took it to Apple to try to get the screen replaced and they are going to replace the entire iPad for free. They had to order one and said it would take 3-5 days. I was pretty sad, but the Apple guys are great! I can't think of another store that would have done that for me.

Bad pic, but you get the idea: http://i1021.photobucket.com/albums/af335/aich75013/2e8b4bfe.jpg

Ouch.

I had read on the iPad forum that Apple is replacing them if you are nice.
Glad to hear they did.

FYI, I took out an all-risk policy on mine for $60. Price varies by unit. Mine cost the most as 64G 3G.
Anything at all happens to it, I get $829 less a $50 deductible.

shilala
04-28-2011, 12:55 PM
Where the heck do you get that kind of service anymore? I can't hardly believe they're replacing it, I gotta admit I'm a bit shocked. Congratulations!!!
The baby should be able to drop it all day long with the Defender on it. The only way I can see that it'd break is if it got plunked screen-down on a hard sippy cup or something. I think you can even walk on it without worrying, although I'm sure they're not for walking on. :)
The new screens are supposed to be nearly unbreakable, depending how they are bent. You guys figured out a way to get it done. lol.
Let us know what you think of the new cover, will ya? If it's bulky and rubber-sticky like mine, it should really help a ton. :tu
Well Scott,

Bad pic, but you get the idea:

aich75013
04-28-2011, 07:40 PM
Ouch.

I had read on the iPad forum that Apple is replacing them if you are nice.
Glad to hear they did.

FYI, I took out an all-risk policy on mine for $60. Price varies by unit. Mine cost the most as 64G 3G.
Anything at all happens to it, I get $829 less a $50 deductible.

Yeah, I was honest about how it happened and I asked how much it would cost me to get it replaced. I was really kinda surprised and expressed how grateful I was.
I saw a woman once with a really broken iPhone screen complaining how it was dropping calls and trying to say the screen wasn't the reason she was bringing it in.

Chris.
04-28-2011, 08:15 PM
I would have an otterbox case on my iphone except, I like being able to easily get my phone in and out of my pocket. I have a minimal silicon case on my 3GS and most times go without a case at all. It was a pre-order version, so it's a little beat up now. I hear they may release the iPhone 5 in September. We'll see. If they don't, then I'll get an iPhone4 and a decent case to keep on it, but I don't want to upgrade to the 4 just yet...