PDA

View Full Version : My "Wanted" List

Flynnster
02-05-2011, 11:41 PM
So over the past couple weeks as I've been reading I have created a small list of cigars I want to try, and I want to make sure none of them are actually duds before I seek them out.

Oliva G series (have had and loved)
Oliva V series
Oliva Connecticut
Kristoff Ligero Maduro
CAO L'Anniversarie Cameroon
A. Turrent Triple Play

Also have noticed that A. Fuentes seem to be popular, should this be a line I add to the list?

T.G
02-06-2011, 12:17 AM
All of those you listed are good, solid cigars, depending on your tastes, you might not find all of them to your liking, but it won't be a bad thing for your cigar smoking experience that you tried them.

Arturo-Fuente makes many different lines, from short filler curly heads (meh) to very high end (Anejo, Opus X, God of Fire, Casa Fuente). I would recommend trying the 8-5-8 natural, which is a cameroon wrapper, the 8-5-8 maduro, both of which are good cigars, well priced and super consistent, a Magnum R rosado if you are into the milder cigars. The sungrown line is good if like a stronger, fuller spicier cigar. If you want a higher end figurado cigar from them - the Hemingway line, I think the Signature is a good one to start with, and then work backwards into the WOA / WOAM and Short Story. The Don Carlos line is also very nice. Opus X, Anejo, God of Fire, Casa Fuente - don't fall into the hype trap, don't rush to buy them, don't think they are going to pour you a drink and rub your feet while you smoke them, and don't pay over MSRP for them. Don't rush into the latter four cigars.

Flynnster
02-06-2011, 12:26 AM
I was really hopping for a good foot rub out of my next cigar. Damn ;)

Thanks for the insight though!

emopunker2004
02-06-2011, 01:18 AM
i agree with the A.F. 8-5-8 that is a good cigar. The A.F. Hemingway short story isn't bad either.

Dunkel
02-06-2011, 04:13 AM
The CAO Cameroon didn't do much for me.

Salvelinus
02-06-2011, 05:50 AM
I gotta say I really didn't get much from the kristoff. Such a good looking stick though. I plan on giving it another chance at some point.

The A. Turrent seems to be well liked, plan on looking for one the next time I can get to a decent B&M.

joeobx
02-06-2011, 07:49 AM
I love AF Anejo, but they can be hard to find and pricey. Another Fuente you might want to try is the Queen B.

TBone
02-06-2011, 08:04 AM
I love the AF Queen B, King B and Sungrown all of them are solid also love the Oliva G, the V is a bit too spicy for my palet...

kelmac07
02-06-2011, 08:07 AM
love the Oliva G, the V is a bit too spicy for my palet...

Sissy!!! :r :r

Ogre
02-06-2011, 08:15 AM
Sissy!!! :r :r

We all cant be like "MAC" :r:r

Bill86
02-06-2011, 08:16 AM
I'm torn on the Fuente line I love the short story, hate all the Opus X for their awful consistency. God of Fire and they Anejos are great, haven't had casa fuente. But if it isn't an Anejo/GoF I wouldn't buy Fuente. I find them usually very boring. If you can score the God of Fire's for $10-$13 they are a great cigar, I wouldn't pay $20 for them though.

As for Olivia, the V is the only one I'd smoke unless it was a cloth band. I'm sure the Oliva V maduros are good as well but I haven't had those.

I don't really like CAO cigars at all, I've had a handful of them and none of them do it for me.

Ogre
02-06-2011, 08:27 AM
I also prefer the Anejos to the Opus. As for the Fuentes I love the 858 Maduro.

chand
02-06-2011, 09:02 AM
i agree with the A.F. 8-5-8 that is a good cigar. The A.F. Hemingway short story isn't bad either.

I second the Hemingway Short Story. This is box purchase worthy IMO.

JJG
02-06-2011, 09:23 AM
I wouldn't recommend the Opus and Anejo just yet, considering you will probably get discouraged in trying to find them for a reasonable price. However, I think the Don Carlos line would be a great first try. They're just a little more complex and rich than the regular A. Fuente lines and also decently priced.

Kreth
02-06-2011, 09:25 AM
I don't think you can go wrong with an Oliva, and the Kristoff Ligero Maddie is my favorite stick. I haven't tried the other two...
Posted via Mobile Device

OLS
02-06-2011, 09:34 AM
I second the Hemingway Short Story. This is box purchase worthy IMO.

I completely agree with this post. Maybe two boxes, but surely there should be no fear of you maybe buying 24 too many
cigars of this type. I also like the 858 natural, have always thought it was one of the top 20 cigars ever created.
The Spanish Lonsdale is EXCEPTIONAL.
Take a hard look also at the Padron regular line, true cigar satisfaction.
CAO, to me, has never been all that good of a line. There were a few good ones in there over the years,
but you can skip them if you like. I know there are some who disagree.

Trent0341
02-06-2011, 09:40 AM
I think you have a good starting list that should help you develop your taste so you better know what you like. For instance the Olvia Connecticut Reserve is a milder cigar. When you get to the V series you'll find those have a bit of kick to them. I personally like the V series but the Connecticut reserve isn't for me.

I'm also a huge Fuente fan. The responses you'll find to Fuente are as varied as the number of posters. The Hemingway Signature might be a good place to start in the Fuente line as was mentioned above. For me that was a cigar that really eases into itself. It started off mild and really intensified (in a good way) in the second half.

I would agree with those saying hold off on the Opus and Anejo line for now. Develop your taste first before throwing $10-20 into one of these cigars. I love them but again as was mentioned above don't fall for the hype. You may love them or hate them. As the saying goes "Smoke what you like and you'll like what you smoke".

boom
02-06-2011, 10:17 AM
A good place to start would be the oliva g and Hemingway... Cant go wrong with either...The Oliva will be more of a budget... The Hemi is a good splurge.

Boobar
02-06-2011, 10:18 AM
As for the Fuentes I love the 858 Maduro.

Me too, these are my favorite mild maduro.

Flynnster
02-06-2011, 10:44 AM
Thanks for all the help guys!

OLS I have tried the Padron 2000's on multiple occasions, they just weren't for me. Around that price range I love a good Brickhouse.