PDA

View Full Version : Cooler problem

Cornrow_Wallis
02-04-2011, 06:29 PM
I've got a 60 qt. igloo cooler that I've been putting cigars in for a couple months and just recently smoked a couple cigars out of it. A Nub habano that someone gave me, a DPG cuban classic, and a 5 vegas miami.

They all tasted exactly the same. A disgusting stale, sour taste is how I could best describe it. No burn problems. It just started happening with these last three and I don't want to smoke anymore until I get it sorted out. All of the cigars are also hard as a rock. I went and bought a couple smokes from a B&M to compare and they were fine.

I have two salt tested hygrometers in there and they both read 64%. I tested them separately. Temp is about 65*F. I just bought some beads that I put in today to see if that helps, although I don't know how it would.

I have no idea whats wrong. Anyone have any ideas?

Ranger_B
02-04-2011, 06:35 PM
What kind of Hygrometer? Digital or analog? Was it a new cooler? Where is your cooler stored. Is it near your heater vents? How often are you circulating the air in the cooler? What are you using for humidification before the beads you just ordered?

enlightenedcigar
02-04-2011, 06:38 PM
Try washing your cooler out if you haven't yet.

Cornrow_Wallis
02-04-2011, 06:43 PM
What kind of Hygrometer? Digital or analog? Was it a new cooler? Where is your cooler stored. Is it near your heater vents? How often are you circulating the air in the cooler? What are you using for humidification before the beads you just ordered?
I have a digital and analog in there. It was a new cooler, I washed it out before I used it. Heater hasn't been on since I got the cooler. As far as air circulation, I opened it a couple times a week to check temp/humidity. Nothing besides that. I was using the plastic sponge devices that come with humidors.

Try washing your cooler out if you haven't yet.
I washed it before I started using it, but I'll wash it again tomorrow.

neoflex
02-04-2011, 06:48 PM
Be sure to use Baking Soda to help get rid of the plastic smell and you may want to pick up some empty boxes to break apart to put in the cooler to help regulate things a bit too.

bobarian
02-04-2011, 07:29 PM
Get rid of the sponge. What kind of beads are you using?

Cornrow_Wallis
02-04-2011, 07:30 PM

HCM. I just put them in today.

MarkinAZ
02-04-2011, 07:37 PM

Do beads (or brands of beads) have a direct effect on the cigars Robert?

bobarian
02-04-2011, 07:50 PM
Do beads (or brands of beads) have a direct effect on the cigars Robert?

They should not, but I do not have any experience with HCM beads. As he just put in the beads they could not have caused the problem. But it sounds like the cigars may have been overhumidified. I have never known a dry cigar to have a sour taste. :2

Cornrow_Wallis
02-04-2011, 07:59 PM
I'll smoke a few in two weeks or so and see what happens.

Would overhumidified cigars get hard? That is what confused me. Everything I found on Google says they should be spongy.

MarkinAZ
02-04-2011, 08:03 PM
They should not, but I do not have any experience with HCM beads. As he just put in the beads they could not have caused the problem. But it sounds like the cigars may have been overhumidified. I have never known a dry cigar to have a sour taste. :2

Yeah! I was wondering since it is a new cooler, if maybe the lid does not give a good seal. I use an old cooler that must be 10+ yrs old, washed about 60,000x, but when you close the lid, its like closing an old Kelvinator frig. Thus, it keeps a constant RH (well, +/- 1 to 2*). I also have 4 cedar trays for loose cigars and some boxes.

Just concerned regarding the sour notes on his cigars...

Tyler
02-04-2011, 08:10 PM
I'll smoke a few in two weeks or so and see what happens.

Would overhumidified cigars get hard? That is what confused me. Everything I found on Google says they should be spongy.

I'm no expert but I think underhumidified cigars are hard and over are soft? You can also tell if they are way over humidified by if they are splitting open from expanding too much and under humidified if they are cracking and brittle.

Ranger_B
02-04-2011, 09:16 PM
Sour could be a few things. I would bet your cigars where dry. That analog Hygrometer is really just for looks so its not doing much. The sponges were no where near enough for that space. Where you using distilled water with them? Where did they come from? Had they been used somewhere else? If all the cigars had that sour taste it is something in the cooler. Reclean as mentioned before and take a good look at what you have in there. Only distilled water with those beads and cigars. Good luck