PDA

View Full Version : Ashton classic churchill

Don Fernando
02-04-2011, 01:59 AM
The Ashton classic series is a classic indeed, who hasn't smoked or at least heard about and seen these cigars? They are made from Dominican tobacco which has been aged for a minimum of three years and the wrapper is a Connecticut shade. This cigar has a price tag of 9 euro in The Netherlands. The churchill is 7½ inch long with a 52 ring.

http://i1006.photobucket.com/albums/af186/cigarguide/reviews/ashtonclassicchurchill1.jpg

The cigar I had was aged pretty good under perfect conditions. The band and the cellophane were starting to get yellow. The Connecticut shade wrapper is light colored and oily with a lot of small veins. The band is really simple. The construction feels good and I smell a barnyard aroma. The predraw is on the firm side of good and I taste a mild tobacco flavor with some pepper.

http://i1006.photobucket.com/albums/af186/cigarguide/reviews/ashtonclassicchurchill2.jpg

I taste a mild coffee flavor with some pepper and soon some wood. The flavors are mild and smooth. After half an inch I taste grass with a hint of chocolate. After two inch the flavors are dry wood with some sweet milky chocolate.

http://i1006.photobucket.com/albums/af186/cigarguide/reviews/ashtonclassicchurchill3.jpg

The grass returns and after two thirds I also taste some herbs with the grass and chocolate. I even taste some pepper. After three quarters I taste a hint of nuts and some sharp pepper

http://i1006.photobucket.com/albums/af186/cigarguide/reviews/ashtonclassicchurchill4.jpg

The churchill has a smoke time of an hour and forty five minutes. The draw and the burn are good. I got an acceptable volume of smoke, but the smoke is very thin. The ash is quite dark, compact and firm. This cigar is mild to medium bodied and medium flavored. I got a huge flame while purging.

http://i1006.photobucket.com/albums/af186/cigarguide/reviews/ashtonclassicchurchill5.jpg

Would I buy this cigar again? No, it is too mild for me

Appearance: 7 / 10
Construction: 8 / 10
Draw: 8 / 10
Burn: 8 / 10
Smoke & ash: 6 / 10
Aroma first part: 7 / 10
Aroma second part: 7 / 10
Aroma third part: 7 / 10

Zeuceone
02-04-2011, 02:06 AM
Thanks for the review.

longknocker
02-04-2011, 04:49 AM
Thanks For The Review, Ferdie!:) For A Mild, Flavorful Smoke, These Are One Of My Favorites! Great With My Morning Coffee!:tu

Lucky_Hippo
02-04-2011, 06:19 AM
I'll second the morning coffee suggestion! I get a raison profile from the cold draw that's enjoyable.
The Ashton Classics are also a big hit with friends who only smoke cigars a few times a year. I like to keep a box of the corona size for that reason alone.

Thanks for the review Ferdie.

joeobx
02-04-2011, 07:05 AM
Nice review

mosesbotbol
02-04-2011, 07:35 AM
Any CT Shade cigar is going to be on the mild side. Flavorless wrapper, but sure looks pretty and wraps the cigar cleaner than any other wrapper.

kelmac07
02-04-2011, 10:20 AM
Nice review Ferdie.

Mr B
02-04-2011, 11:01 AM
Nice Review as always, Ferdie.
I have a Sampler box of 2 of each Ashtons I am working on. The Cabinet was very good (Mild-med) I am waiting for a good Mild opportunity to have the Classic. The maduro was tasty too, although mild, it was flavorful.
I am looking forward the to Heritage too.

swh127
02-04-2011, 11:04 AM
Nice Review

TBone
02-04-2011, 11:17 AM
Nice review Ferdie...makes me want to try it...

Nathan King
02-04-2011, 11:23 AM
Any CT Shade cigar is going to be on the mild side. Flavorless wrapper, but sure looks pretty and wraps the cigar cleaner than any other wrapper.

I disagree with the assertion that the Connecticut shade wrapper is flavorless. I don't know why, but it seems most people want a cigar that will smack them in the face and blow their jaw off. A mild but complex smoke is a thing of beauty, and there will always be a good deal of space reserved for such a cigar in my humidor.

The review was nicely done, and the flavors you caught closely mirror my experiences with the Ashton Classic. :tu

GHC_Hambone
02-04-2011, 12:23 PM
I disagree with the assertion that the Connecticut shade wrapper is flavorless. I don't know why, but it seems most people want a cigar that will smack them in the face and blow their jaw off. A mild but complex smoke is a thing of beauty, and there will always be a good deal of space reserved for such a cigar in my humidor.:tu

My thoughts exactly!

BigAsh
02-04-2011, 01:20 PM
Nice review Ferdie!....one of my early favs and one I still visit now and then

mosesbotbol
02-04-2011, 05:29 PM
I disagree with the assertion that the Connecticut shade wrapper is flavorless. I don't know why, but it seems most people want a cigar that will smack them in the face and blow their jaw off.
I too am fond of mild cigars, but compare CT Shade to Cameroon, Nicaraguan, or Cuban wrappers; CT Shade is like nothing is there. It burns very clean and white, but does not impart much flavor to the cigar.

jdawg
02-04-2011, 10:40 PM
Nice review!

Perfect in the morning with a cup of joe.

Tyler
02-04-2011, 11:05 PM
I disagree with the assertion that the Connecticut shade wrapper is flavorless. I don't know why, but it seems most people want a cigar that will smack them in the face and blow their jaw off. A mild but complex smoke is a thing of beauty, and there will always be a good deal of space reserved for such a cigar in my humidor.

The review was nicely done, and the flavors you caught closely mirror my experiences with the Ashton Classic. :tu

Thank you very much for the review. And Nathan I too really enjoy milder cigars. I used to really enjoy those knock you on your butt maduros, like Camacho Triple Maduro, but recently I have been enjoying mild cigars. I have not tried an Ashton before so I will be sure to pick one of these up sometime.

jesseboston81
02-04-2011, 11:16 PM
Thanks for the review, looking forward to trying one of these at some point. As a newbie to cigars, I should get acquainted with the "classics"! :D

Pat1075
02-04-2011, 11:19 PM
Thank you for the review Ferdie. This has always been my favorite mild cigar line.

Flynnster
02-04-2011, 11:34 PM
I love the Ashton Classics, everyone I have had has been great, nothing to make you go "Wow" or surprise you, but its a great smoke.

timj219
04-26-2011, 05:12 PM
I tried the ashton classic today. I'm a fan of connecticut wrappers and this was a good one. Mild/med but not boring. My palate is not the match of some but it's easy to pick up notes of grass and mild spice. A fine slow burn with moderate amount of very nice smelling smoke. Reminds me of the PDR clasico and I'd like to smoke them back to back to see just how similar they are.

stoogie007
04-27-2011, 12:34 AM
nice review - I have never had an Ashton I didn't like

cheers!