PDA

View Full Version : These New Phones Are Amazing!

BlackDog
01-30-2011, 08:48 PM
For older geezers like me, devices like cell phones were something reserved for Captain Kirk and Dick Tracy. They were something we never thought we would see in our lifetimes. I think I got my first cell phone in 1992, a blue Nokia about the size of a 3 finger cigar carrier. I thought it was pretty cool, but really only used it for my wife to tell me to bring home milk.

As our phone plan permitted, I upgraded to smaller flip phones, which were even more Kirk-like. I thought these were even cooler.

My oldest daughter got her first phone when she was 16. I learned to text. I thought that was pretty sweet.

Sometime or another cell phones got cameras. Now I could take pictures whenever I wanted. I really liked this feature a lot. In fact the quality of the camera is one of my primary selection criteria for phones now.

Then a couple years ago I got a BlackBerry and was able to cruise the internets while I used the toilet. I could keep in touch with anyone, literally anytime. I'm not sure how I had survived previously.

A few months ago my BB puked. I decided to get a phone with the Android operating system. Touch screen, Swype, some really useful apps. But what is totally knocking my socks off is that I'm listening to Stevie Ray Vaughan, Marshall Tucker, Jimi Hendrix, and the Allman Brothers on Pandora. Over my phone. Seriously, somehow music is coming to my home from Godknowswhere for free over my phone. How awesome is that? My life is pretty much complete.

Oh, and my wife still calls me to bring home the milk. ;)

BlackDog
01-30-2011, 08:55 PM
Coincidentally, "Touch of Grey" just came up on Pandora. I will get by.

Ogre
01-30-2011, 09:04 PM

:r:tu:tu:r

jesseboston81
01-30-2011, 09:04 PM
As a young buck (29 years old), I look at where technology is now compared to where it was for my grandparents at my age, and then wonder what that same length of time into the future will bring... only time will tell!

replicant_argent
01-30-2011, 09:18 PM
chip in the head in less than 15 years.

Kreth
01-30-2011, 09:22 PM
What did the Deadhead say when his acid wore off? ;)
Posted via Mobile Device

CasaDooley
01-30-2011, 09:43 PM
For older geezers like me, devices like cell phones were something reserved for Captain Kirk and Dick Tracy. They were something we never thought we would see in our lifetimes. I think I got my first cell phone in 1992, a blue Nokia about the size of a 3 finger cigar carrier. I thought it was pretty cool, but really only used it for my wife to tell me to bring home milk.

As our phone plan permitted, I upgraded to smaller flip phones, which were even more Kirk-like. I thought these were even cooler.

My oldest daughter got her first phone when she was 16. I learned to text. I thought that was pretty sweet.

Sometime or another cell phones got cameras. Now I could take pictures whenever I wanted. I really liked this feature a lot. In fact the quality of the camera is one of my primary selection criteria for phones now.

Then a couple years ago I got a BlackBerry and was able to cruise the internets while I used the toilet. I could keep in touch with anyone, literally anytime. I'm not sure how I had survived previously.

A few months ago my BB puked. I decided to get a phone with the Android operating system. Touch screen, Swype, some really useful apps. But what is totally knocking my socks off is that I'm listening to Stevie Ray Vaughan, Marshall Tucker, Jimi Hendrix, and the Allman Brothers on Pandora. Over my phone. Seriously, somehow music is coming to my home from Godknowswhere for free over my phone. How awesome is that? My life is pretty much complete.

Oh, and my wife still calls me to bring home the milk. ;)

I'm sorry Warren, but you opened the door and I just had to walk through it Bro!:lr

larryinlc
01-30-2011, 09:49 PM
I remember my first cellphone in 1989. I had a very hard time convincing the provider that I wanted it for personal use only. They insisted I had to use it for business. My, how times have changed. Fast forward to today. I live in a anti "rule the air" location where cellphones do not work. The local township had erected a shiny new tower last fall complete with a blinking light. I have gazed at this new tower every day like a kid before Christmas hoping that it would soon have an antenna installed. I haven't felt this way since a new tv station came on the air and watching the test pattern for days. Anyway, still no antenna, and when someone finally gets it up and running, I may just buy one of those fancy smarty phones. Until we arrive into the 21st century, I'll have to be content to get in my car and drive a few miles up the road to get signal and view my text messages from some young girl who obviously doesn't realize that the number which she is dialing no longer belong to her highschool flame. :) If she'd only send a picture once in a while.:D

Larry

acruce
01-31-2011, 03:04 PM
Swype is pretty cool.