PDA

View Full Version : A southerner's first impressions of Jersey

AUguy
01-26-2011, 06:08 PM
So my company has me working in NJ this spring and this is how things have gone so far:

1. Its cold up here! My first night here it dipped to -7

2. Alabama cold weather gear is not sufficient for NJ cold weather.

3. I am used to large areas of countryside in between cities. Here I can't tell where one city ends and another begins

4. Day 3 and I am already snowed in and stuck at the hotel.

5. It is so so so damned cold up here.

Kreth
01-26-2011, 06:12 PM
Alabama cold weather gear
Long-sleeve overalls? :confused:
Posted via Mobile Device

MedicCook
01-26-2011, 06:13 PM
"Kiss her where it smells, take her to New Jersey." ~ George Carlin

:r :r :r :r :r

AUguy
01-26-2011, 06:14 PM
Long-sleeve overalls? :confused:
Posted via Mobile Device

A fleece pullover for when it gets really cold. Like in the 40s.

maninblack
01-26-2011, 06:17 PM
Who did you piss off at work to make them move you to Jersey?

AUguy
01-26-2011, 06:19 PM
I actually asked for this area. Last year I told them I wanted to go to the Northeast and the assholes sent me to Maine. But I got there after the cold weather.

Ogre
01-26-2011, 06:19 PM

At this point doest it matter!!! He there now!!!:r:r

Kreth
01-26-2011, 06:20 PM
A fleece pullover for when it gets really cold. Like in the 40s.
That'll be great in March, unless it's raining... :r
Posted via Mobile Device

bscottskangum
01-26-2011, 06:22 PM
I actually asked for this area.

I'm sorry, how many crack rocks did you say you smoke a day?

AUguy
01-26-2011, 06:23 PM

Monetarily it should be a good move. Damn sure better be anyway.

captain53
01-26-2011, 06:45 PM

:tpd:

hscmit
01-26-2011, 06:51 PM
dont think january counts as spring

chand
01-26-2011, 06:54 PM

Try to get on their good side and maybe you can get upgraded to Siberia or the Arctic Circle. I moved to Delaware from Jacksonville Beach, FL. Every winter I begin to think it wasn't the best idea I ever had.

Neens
01-26-2011, 07:22 PM
"It's not so much the heat but the humidity that will get you?

floydpink
01-26-2011, 07:59 PM
When I moved to Florida, the first thing I noticed was how much slower the pace seemed and how much nicer the people were.

The only thing I missed was the food, which still remains after 20 something years.

This winter has reminded me that you couldn't drag me back to New Jersey in a straightjacket.

Aside from the weather, the overall materialistic attitudes and generally glum feeling for half of the year made my soul long for something else.

I'm a Yankee by birth and a Southerner by the grace of God.

jonumberone
01-27-2011, 10:35 AM
Last night I was gonna break your balls for sh*ting on my state!

This morning I am officially declaring Jersey sucks :td

Volusianator
01-27-2011, 10:37 AM
2. Alabama cold weather gear is not sufficient for NJ cold weather.

5. It is so so so damned cold up here.

You weren't aware that it's cold in the north?

Powers
01-27-2011, 10:41 AM
When I moved to Florida, the first thing I noticed was how much slower the pace seemed and how much nicer the people were.

The only thing I missed was the food, which still remains after 20 something years.

This winter has reminded me that you couldn't drag me back to New Jersey in a straightjacket.

Aside from the weather, the overall materialistic attitudes and generally glum feeling for half of the year made my soul long for something else.

I'm a Yankee by birth and a Southerner by the grace of God.

:banger

I approve of this post! :tu

Even though Orlando is harldy a city with any Southern culture left, head up to Gainesville or Ocala and it'll be a little more prevalent

AUguy
01-27-2011, 05:59 PM
Im no shitting on the state. Im sure its a beautiful place once it thaws out. But right now this place sucks.

VirtualSmitty
01-27-2011, 06:06 PM
Im no shitting on the state. Im sure its a beautiful place once it thaws out. But right now this place sucks.

Where in Jersey are you? I'm northern, it's all built up, but the the southern part of the state is pretty rural. And you happened to pick coming here during our second worst winter in modern history. Only 95-96 was worse than this :bh

KingJaffeJoffer
01-27-2011, 07:22 PM
Hahah, poor guy. I came up here for a job 4some years ago... I live in Hoboken and work in nyc. Biggest Mistake. Ever. April 2nd I'm headed back to Texas.

AUguy
01-27-2011, 08:15 PM
Where in Jersey are you? I'm northern, it's all built up, but the the southern part of the state is pretty rural. And you happened to pick coming here during our second worst winter in modern history. Only 95-96 was worse than this :bh

Im based out of mount olive and working in dover, west caldwell, boontown, and a couple other cities in central nj.

Steve
01-27-2011, 08:17 PM
Try to get on their good side and maybe you can get upgraded to Siberia or the Arctic Circle. I moved to Delaware from Jacksonville Beach, FL. Every winter I begin to think it wasn't the best idea I ever had.

:r

G G
01-27-2011, 08:37 PM
Plus it's cold.:r

Powers
01-27-2011, 08:57 PM
Im based out of mount olive and working in dover, west caldwell, boontown, and a couple other cities in central nj.

Mount Olive......in Jersey........get it :noon

VirtualSmitty
01-27-2011, 09:21 PM

Not bad, next time we do a Jersey herf i'll drop you a line. That is at least one thing we do well here :D

cigars_n_scotch
01-29-2011, 05:40 PM
Monetarily it should be a good move. Damn sure better be anyway.

Yes monetarily you will make a lot more than you could in Alabama but what you probably don't realize is that a majority of your hard-earned dollars will go towards paying taxes, car insurance and real estate taxes... The cost of living in NJ is extremely high, the tri-state area is just that: expensive.....take it from someone who has lived in Jersey almost all his life, and can't wait to make the move to NC (as soon as the real estate market picks up a bit).

Bill86
01-29-2011, 05:49 PM
"Kiss her where it smells, take her to New Jersey." ~ George Carlin

:lr :hy

:tu

AUguy
02-01-2011, 06:12 PM
Yes monetarily you will make a lot more than you could in Alabama but what you probably don't realize is that a majority of your hard-earned dollars will go towards paying taxes, car insurance and real estate taxes... The cost of living in NJ is extremely high, the tri-state area is just that: expensive.....take it from someone who has lived in Jersey almost all his life, and can't wait to make the move to NC (as soon as the real estate market picks up a bit).

I will only be in NJ for a total of 4.5 months so they will only get me for income tax nothing else. I am not a resident and my company is paying my housing.

Also I hit the road this morning headed back for bama so enjoy your snow storm folks

Chingas
02-01-2011, 10:58 PM
Ahh, William, Welcome to our little slice of Paradise. Sure, it's brutally cold outside and the grey skies and the feeling of your bones shattering at every step you take is enough to make you pray for Death, I can assure you this is only the beginning. It gets better from here. You'll notice that you'll need to wait for the young lady behind the counter at CVS to get off her phone before she attempts to ring you up.

You'll notice that, much like Alaska, the sky will stay dark for months at a time before the sun finally comes back to play in late April and then you'll be greeted by 45 days of rain, exciting, yes?

You'll notice that breathing is harder and your lungs seem to be getting the workout of a lifetime, no worries, they are, and you're most likely gonna be taking a little token of cancer back with you, it's all good Brother. Like a parting gift.

You'll notice that the people in line for their morning coffee DO NOT want to talk about the weather or the latest news stories. That look of serial killer will certainly be the last thing you see if you don't leave them alone and cease conversation immediately.

Things are different in Jersey. Don't drive to slow, you'll surely get the finger and the horn. If you choose to drive slow, take the bird from the right lane, so we can pass your slow ass! Jersey is like a very well laid out game of Strati-go. There are certain things i certain parts of Jersey that are their for very specific reasons. You're pimps over there, your whores over there, but don;t go to the whores over there, only the ones over there, cause if you go to the whores over there, well the pimp that is over there will have your ass...etc.

When you get back to Alabama, you'll have time to reflect on the decision you made, on the mistakes you made but most importantly, the friends you made because, I for one, Smell a HERF!

AUguy
03-13-2011, 07:11 PM
Back in Jersey. Well the snow is gone but water is everywhere. Hope all the BOTL in the Garden State made it through the floods with no major damage.

Chingas
03-14-2011, 04:09 AM
Back in Jersey. Well the snow is gone but water is everywhere. Hope all the BOTL in the Garden State made it through the floods with no major damage.

William!! Let's smoke Brother!:banger

jonumberone
03-14-2011, 04:39 AM
William!! Let's smoke Brother!:banger

:tpd:

Don Fernando
03-14-2011, 05:07 AM
this was only your first impression, just wait till you meet Dom :r

taltos
03-14-2011, 06:17 AM
this was only your first impression, just wait till you meet Dom :rWait until he meets Al.:pn

floydpink
03-14-2011, 06:22 AM
I have a big family reunion in NJ coming up late May and couldn't be more excited.

Besides getting my whole family together for a big barbecue, I will be spending 4 days in Manhattan doing all kinds of fun things.

After years of beach and cruise vacations, it's a nice change.

By the end of the week, after the goodbyes, I will be grateful to be headed South.

I grew up on the Jersey Shore, have no idea who Snookie is, and wouldn't trade those years for anything.

68TriShield
03-15-2011, 04:55 PM
I can't vouch, but the shows I've seen of NJ and area diners on Diners Drive-ins and Dives have looked pretty darn good :)

http://www.flavortownusa.com/default.aspx

NeuRon
03-15-2011, 05:11 PM
Jersey Rocks...

Haters can suck a fat one..

End of Classy post :)

guitar4001
03-16-2011, 02:37 PM
In 2007, I moved from NC to the New York North Country. It was not a pleasant experience.

I have met countless northerners who moved south and complained about the heat, the humidity, the accents, schools, taxes, and etc. My move to NY really fortified my belief that those who complained about southern living were insane or on drugs.

Powers
03-16-2011, 02:54 PM
I have met countless northerners who moved south and complained about the heat, the humidity, the accents, schools, taxes, and etc. My move to NY really fortified my belief that those who complained about southern living were insane or on drugs.

:tu

N2 GOLD
03-16-2011, 03:31 PM
In 2007, I moved from NC to the New York North Country. It was not a pleasant experience.

:tu -(P