PDA

View Full Version : Kristoff Maduro Robusto

Katmancross
01-26-2011, 01:49 PM

I picked the Kristoff Maduro to review. The stick is Dominican Olor and Cuban seed Nicaraguan. The wrapper is an oily Brazilian Maduro.
Ever have one of those days where everything goes wrong? That's today. I wanted to take photos of the ash and I kept knocking it off into my lap. Trust me, the ash hangs on like a monkey to his coconut.
The stick has a beautiful pig tail and a shaggy foot...although on this one, it looks like a shaggy leg.

I used a chain saw to remove it.
The prelight has just the smallest of hints of coffee.
I felt I was destroying art when I clipped the pig tail off. I buried it in the back yard next to my cat, Liza. She made it to 19.
I said a Jewish prayer but stopped when I realized I was praying over something with the word “pig” in it. So I genuflected and came inside. It's a balmy day in Wisconsin. Only 29 degrees. Like Summer.
Upon light up, I immediately tasted some wood and black licorice. The ads for this stick say it has some spice to it but I only got the faintest of faintest spice.
It's a dead center medium body....right to the end. It never ramps up into near full body.
Makes it easy to smoke it until it's a tattoo on my thumb.

If I had a camera instead of a phone camera, you could see that it has a very oily sheen to it. It glistens in the light.
The construction is good and it's a firm stick without any soft spots. It draws perfectly and the burn is perfect. It also burns slowly. Since I was smoking a Robusto, 5.5 x 54, that was a good thing. Took between 45 minutes and an hour to finish it.

The black licorice stays throughout the cigar. The complexity doesn't kick in until half way through. And then the flavors start pouring out of it.
I get a sweet caramel. Some coffee. I also get this black cherry flavor that was totally unexpected. The last half is extremely well balanced.

Lots and lots of smoke emit from the foot. I created a fog for a while.
What little spice that was there in the beginning, fades completely.
But it is replaced with a very nutty taste. Can't identify the nut, but I'm sure someone can.
The last 2” is wonderful. This is what a great cigar should taste like. It never makes me light headed so I can smoke it right to the nub without putting it down. I'm having trouble keeping it in in the ash tray's groove because it's so small.
I purposely held off on smoking the Ligero Maduro until I smoked this one. I highly anticipate putting the cigar down a couple of times with that one.
I don't score cigars because it's highly subjective. But if forced to do it, I'd give it a 90.

Zeuceone
01-26-2011, 02:03 PM
Great read and review.

Bageland2000
01-26-2011, 02:13 PM
I really liked the natural wrapper Kristoff I had. Great Review, things will go better for you next time...

Ogre
01-26-2011, 02:33 PM
Kristoff Maduro Robusto:dr:dr One of my Favorite cigars. Great review brother.

Katmancross
01-26-2011, 02:58 PM
Thank you, gentlemen!

Kreth
01-26-2011, 03:07 PM
Nice review. When you smoke the next Kristoff, try biting the pigtail off. I was taught to do it this way and it usually results in a perfect draw. :tu
Posted via Mobile Device

Katmancross
01-26-2011, 03:08 PM
Nice review. When you smoke the next Kristoff, try biting the pigtail off. I was taught to do it this way and it usually results in a perfect draw. :tu
Posted via Mobile Device

Do you just bite it off right at its root? Does this keep the end from opening up further?

14holestogie
01-26-2011, 03:12 PM
Nice review, Phil. Serious enough for those that only want the facts and just the right amount of humor to keep others smiling. Perfect combo. :tu

Katmancross
01-26-2011, 03:19 PM
Nice review, Phil. Serious enough for those that only want the facts and just the right amount of humor to keep others smiling. Perfect combo. :tu

Thanks, Tim. I want to have your baby.

Kreth
01-26-2011, 03:21 PM
Do you just bite it off right at its root? Does this keep the end from opening up further?
Yeah, right at the base. They usually "pop" almost like biting into a grape. It leaves a gap about the size of a punch cut, and I've never had one unravel on me.
Posted via Mobile Device

Katmancross
01-26-2011, 03:22 PM
Yeah, right at the base. They usually "pop" almost like biting into a grape. It leaves a gap about the size of a punch cut, and I've never had one unravel on me.
Posted via Mobile Device

Cool. I will try that on my next one tomorrow.
Thanks

14holestogie
01-26-2011, 03:22 PM
Thanks, Tim. I want to have your baby.

I'll check with her. She's 35 tomorrow. :r

Katmancross
01-26-2011, 03:25 PM
I'll check with her. She's 35 tomorrow. :r

That's the funniest g*d d**n thing I've heard all day. You had me laughing out loud, hard.
You're a bad Daddy. Bad Daddy. No treats for you.

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Katmancross
01-26-2011, 03:31 PM
I am dreading tonight. I have sleep apnea and wear a CPAP mask and machine. Have had one for almost 5 years. No biggie. I sleep better now and I don't snore.
But the horrifying night in the evil doctor's lair is miserable. I have to be there by 8pm and they throw you out at 6:30am.
But then I get a brand new machine...they go for around $2K
This photo shows how they hook you up for beddie bye time.
Thank you Medicaid.

longknocker
01-26-2011, 04:33 PM
Great Review, Phillip!:tu

Katmancross
01-26-2011, 04:58 PM

I want to be serious for a moment. Even though I've made a living in commercial construction, I've always written. I got the bug when I discovered the Marx Brothers and Woody Allen in college. I aspired to write like that.

I've been a cigar lover for more years than I care to admit and this new jaunt in life is exilirating.
F****s-S***e took a chance on me. It was their idea to have me write the way I did. They were very supportive. I would do anything for them. I'm sad that they think I'm a traitor for making a big deal that I have clients now.
A traitor who was paid a 5 pack and a perk now and again.
I told them I would do whatever they wanted and write for them for 2 cigars. But the damage was done. Of course, they couldn't get over the fact that the other clients were very generous, which F wasn't.
I maintained a very good friend out of this, so it was worth it.
If they want me back...in a heart beat.

But here's the deal. I posted those reviews and got skewered inside and out for them. Some of it got personal. Probably my fault. I was so excited that I couldn't keep it to myself.

But because of the support and criticism here, I am growing. Without each and every one of you, I would still be paddling a canoe with one paddle.

I owe any success that comes my way to you guys.
And Peter (pnoon) has been a terrific guy...sending me private messages that were meaningful and supportive. He kept me grounded. I will name my next child...in my next life, after him. I hope pnoon doesn't get him beat up in school.

You are a great bunch of guys. You got heart.And you are helping me find my way. I love you, man!

I will continue to work hard. I will listen to you. And I will never eat poop from the litter box again.

Thanks and warmest regards,

The Kat

timj219
01-26-2011, 05:22 PM
Posted via Mobile Device:tu
I always bite these off. Using a cutter just seems wrong.

Kreth
01-26-2011, 05:26 PM
:tu
I always bite these off. Using a cutter just seems wrong.
Yeah. It doesn't work for all sticks with pigtails (I get a better draw cutting El Mejor Emeralds, for example) but it just works with the Kristoffs.
Posted via Mobile Device

kelmac07
01-26-2011, 05:44 PM
Great review of a yummy stick!! :tu

Bageland2000
01-26-2011, 09:24 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

Jeff, my next cigar will surely be a Kristoff, I'm really curious about this :tu
Phillip, my Dad has sleep apnea as well so I sorta know what your going through...he hated going to the sleep clinic. Let us know how it goes!

Bruins Fan
01-27-2011, 07:47 AM
The monster has a six pack sampler NOW for 20 bucks, I just ordered one.

Katmancross
01-27-2011, 10:30 AM
Jeff, my next cigar will surely be a Kristoff, I'm really curious about this :tu
Phillip, my Dad has sleep apnea as well so I sorta know what your going through...he hated going to the sleep clinic. Let us know how it goes!

It was horrible. Had to sleep on my back all night so I gagged and choked all night. They got me out of bed at 5:30 and had to fill out more forms. I wanted to slug someone I was so tired.
But came home and slept for a couple hours.
Good thing your Dad uses a machine. I'm confident my dad's strokes in his mid 70's were a result of sleep apnea. He snored like a freight train. So I shall live to be 112...and still chasing young 85 year old vixens.

timj219
01-27-2011, 03:10 PM
The monster has a six pack sampler NOW for 20 bucks, I just ordered one.I love this sampler. I've bought three on the monster over the last few months.

Matt1951
01-30-2011, 10:03 AM
sleep apnea - the Sona pillow at Amazon.com, costs $50, works better. Forces you to sleep on your side, sleeping on your back is a primary cause of sleep apnea. Also, do an elimination diet. Start eating just meat, add potatoes, day by day, add another food. Food allergy causes nasal passage obstruction. My allergy was wheat, threw away my cpap.

Katmancross
01-30-2011, 10:09 AM
sleep apnea - the Sona pillow at Amazon.com, costs $50, works better. Forces you to sleep on your side, sleeping on your back is a primary cause of sleep apnea. Also, do an elimination diet. Start eating just meat, add potatoes, day by day, add another food. Food allergy causes nasal passage obstruction. My allergy was wheat, threw away my cpap.

Are you over weight?

Matt1951
01-30-2011, 04:02 PM
Are you over weight?

I am slightly overweight~200. I used to be vastly overweight ~280. Again, it was the wheat, when removed from my diet, my weight corrected.

Katmancross
01-30-2011, 04:13 PM
I am slightly overweight~200. I used to be vastly overweight ~280. Again, it was the wheat, when removed from my diet, my weight corrected.

The reason I asked is that this problem is typical of overweight people.
I weigh 254. And I'm 5'-11. Never a fat guy until after my skydiving accident. That got me up to almost 300lbs. I've lost weight because I eat like a bird. Can't exercise...between all of the herniated discs in my neck and back and a bum knee, it's friggin' impossible.
Funny note: My wife and I joined the Y in Feb 2008 after I was laid off. We got in on the poor "f'ers" program.

Never used the pool or jacuzzi and wore clothing head to toe. My wife got a staph infection on her hip within 3 weeks and I got a staph infection in my sinuses at the same time. I had boils hanging out of my nose that looked like party balloons. I had no health insurance and when I couldn't stand the pain any longer, I headed to the ER. I was given an MRI and told if I had waited much longer, it might have traveled to my brain and killed me. I was very lucky. So now I'm scared to death of public gyms.
I still eat wheat in my diet. But we are poor and carbs are the poor man's diet. Until something changes, I have no choice. Drat!

Katmancross
01-30-2011, 05:48 PM

Tim,
You are the perfect human being!

The Kat

scottdurand
01-30-2011, 07:00 PM
One of my fav new smokes. A great choice!

Katmancross
01-30-2011, 07:08 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

My apologies. I attributed your suggestion of biting off the pigtail as keeping the end more structurally together. Ding. Wrong.
You said that it would improve the draw. Badda Bing! You were absolutely correct, sir.

jdawg
02-01-2011, 11:54 AM
Nice review on a good smoke! :tu