PDA

View Full Version : Computer help: Windows 7 related

cigars_n_scotch
01-24-2011, 05:59 PM
I am hoping that a computer guru who knows win7 can help me out because I am at my whit's end.

Background: I recently installed win7 ultimate on my laptop. Windows made a folder on my C: drive called Windows.old and it contained all of my important files (pics, movies, music, etc). I also have a desktop on win7 ultimate. Both pc's are on a homegroup.

My Objective: I want to transfer the important files from my laptop to my desktop through the network (homegroup) but I am having trouble moving a large amount of data. I can only move small file sizes. I keep getting an error message that says:

There is not enough space on Users. You need an additional x GB to copy these files.

I don't get it. Any ideas?

BORIStheBLADE
01-24-2011, 07:06 PM
You know what I would try is share another folder maybe on the desktop or something and try and transfer to that folder.

eldondo
01-24-2011, 11:50 PM
The folder "User" and the sub-folders in there are located on C. Maybe you made some partitions? And disk space on C is not enough?

dnocca
01-25-2011, 04:29 AM
Hello, try using a transfer cable . that will work . signed Newbee

chand
01-25-2011, 04:55 AM
I would like an answer to the question too. I use a 500GB portable HD to transfer file between computers. It would be so much easier to share the files without the additional step.

jledou
01-25-2011, 06:04 AM
I haven't played with Win 7 a lot but finally upgraded the desktop to win 7 last weekend and it killed itself trying to install updates so back at it again this weekend.
From my limited knowledge of win 7 check the permissions for each folder you are trying to move between. Creating a new folder is a good suggestion because you can set the permissions the same.
Also if you are using wireless to be your home network then you could be have connection problems stopping the transfer or it is just taking too long.
I am by no means an expert but I am sure someone around here has a fix for you. I btw still don't like to network my home computers (windows still doesn't have that figured out imo) so I personally use a 1TB portable harddrive. Maybe that will change with everything being on win7 for me now?

mosesbotbol
01-25-2011, 06:15 AM
Is BITS turned on?

Are you an administrator on both PC's?

How are you connecting to each PC? UNC? Mapped drive?

Try coping to a folder other than "Users", does that work?

Sauer Grapes
01-25-2011, 09:22 AM
The window.old folder is probably what is taking up all of your space. Copy the files you want off of it onto an external drive and then delete the .old folder.

If that is what you are trying to do and it failed, then start deleting stuff you don't need out of the .old folder until you have room to copy the stuff you do need onto an external.

01-25-2011, 10:34 AM
Windows.old exists because there are two copies of Windows installed. I'm guessing you had some problems and ran a repair/recovery option to fix Windows 7. This is why you have two copies.

Move, not copy, all your files into the C:\Public folder. Then you should be able to see them from your other computer.

Sauer Grapes
01-25-2011, 11:35 AM
Windows.old exists because there are two copies of Windows installed. I'm guessing you had some problems and ran a repair/recovery option to fix Windows 7. This is why you have two copies.

Move, not copy, all your files into the C:\Public folder. Then you should be able to see them from your other computer.

window.old is automatically installed if you do an "upgrade" to windows 7. There is probably a way to get it not to be there when upgrading, but it automatically put it on mine and I had to get rid of it. I eventually did a "non-upgrade" fresh install of 7 after making sure I had everything I wanted to keep on backups and it freed up even more space than just windows.old.

I've never had the window.old before on an upgrade.

St. Lou Stu
01-25-2011, 01:14 PM
The error
"There is not enough space on Users. You need an additional x GB to copy these files."
is a free space error.
When you initiate a large transfer, the first portion of time is spent checking free space, which is why this error may not immediately pop up. Once the files are counted and free space requirements calculated, it then looks to the target machine to see if there is enough space. If not, you get an error.

When you transfer single or smaller batches of files the free space calculations happen much faster and appear almost non-existent. Small transfers are succeeding because you haven't yet reached the capacity of the destination drive.
I imagine that if you were to transfer all one-by-one they would eventually start failing due to space limitations.

You really don't want all of windows.old anyway. It has a ton of extraneous ****.