PDA

View Full Version : 601 Blue Question

bigswol2
01-20-2011, 12:58 PM
I just finished my last 601 blue. These are the ones with the old labels. I know the blend isn't supposed to be any different but I was wondering if anyone who has bought them since the switch could chime in with their opinion.

jwillm
01-20-2011, 01:21 PM
I've only had the toro with the new band, and I couldn't tell a lick of difference. Still has that smooth wonderful cocoa

enlightenedcigar
01-20-2011, 01:44 PM
The blend changed once Rocky took over. Instead of a habano like the original was it is now a broadleaf.

BigCat
01-20-2011, 01:48 PM
Rocky changed the blend on the red a little - the blue is unchanged.

Edit - I know you were asking for those that have smoked the new ones. I haven't yet. My post was in response to the one above mine.

tx_tuff
01-20-2011, 02:01 PM
Rocky Patel has nothing at all to do with the bland of the EO Brands 601 cigars!! They are still being made by Pepin and the same blend. Only thing Rocky has to do with them is distribute them. I do know Eddie Ortega as a friend and have talked to him more then once about this.

BigCat
01-20-2011, 02:03 PM
Rocky Patel has nothing at all to do with the bland of the EO Brands 601 cigars!! They are still being made by Pepin and the same blend. Only thing Rocky has to do with them is distribute them. I do know Eddie Ortega as a friend and have talked to him more then once about this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIOfn1Xvj1s

Straight from Rocky's mouth. The red has been changed.

kelmac07
01-20-2011, 02:04 PM
They are still being made by Pepin and the same blend.

Ding ding ding...we have a winner!!! Tell 'em what he's won Bob. :r :r

I can only speak of the 601 Blue. This wonderful stick remains the same...except for the band. I LOVE these and have smoked plenty of the old bands, as well as the new bands. SAME WONDERFUL FLAVOR!!! :dr :dr

jitzy
01-20-2011, 02:16 PM

he just said "Probably will change" the he said "Will change"

tx_tuff
01-20-2011, 02:18 PM

If you listen to the video he says the 601 Blue will not change and the 601 Red "probably will be changed". Not that it has or that it will be. He also states that they are made by Don Pepin, which means Rocky is not blending any EO Brands premium cigars. My understanding from Eddie Ortega is that the Red has not been changed.

BigCat
01-20-2011, 02:21 PM
If you listen to the video he says the 601 Blue will not change and the 601 Red "probably will be changed". Not that it has or that it will be. He also states that they are made by Don Pepin, which means Rocky is not blending any EO Brands premium cigars. My understanding from Eddie Ortega is that the Red has not been changed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3z2TUezJ8I&NR=1

Eddie isn't definitive here either, but he says he wants to change the red. Being who he is, I assume he got or will get what he wants. I agree Rocky is not blending - I had a brain fart when I typed that.

tx_tuff
01-20-2011, 02:23 PM
Ok I just got off the phone with Eddie Ortega of EO Brands, he said the maduro wrapper on the 601 Blue is a Connecticut Broadleaf, and always has been from the start. And that the 601 Red has NOT changed blends and that Rocky Patel "over spoke" on youtube. So there you go.

tx_tuff
01-20-2011, 02:25 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3z2TUezJ8I&NR=1

Eddie isn't definitive here either, but he says he wants to change the red. Being who he is, I assume he got or will get what he wants. I agree Rocky is not blending - I had a brain fart when I typed that.

Yeah, plus those videos are old now. Bad thing about youtube is some stuff that should be updated or removed is still there. Guess Eddie had a change of heart because he just told me the blend has not changed.

bobarian
01-20-2011, 02:27 PM
Wouldn't be the first time Rocky "overspoke" Much like him claiming publicly that the Renaissance was the same as the original Edge Sumatra, then several months later retracting and then reintroducing the Sumatra. :sl

BigCat
01-20-2011, 02:36 PM
Ok I just got off the phone with Eddie Ortega of EO Brands, he said the maduro wrapper on the 601 Blue is a Connecticut Broadleaf, and always has been from the start. And that the 601 Red has NOT changed blends and that Rocky Patel "over spoke" on youtube. So there you go.

Well that's certainly one way to end a debate! Well played. Thanks for the info. It appears there is a fair amount of misinformation out there about this.

enlightenedcigar
01-20-2011, 02:51 PM
Ah, forgive me, I was confused I ws also speaking about th red label and messed up my wording. It was my understanding that the red had been changed but apparently I was misinformed. I am glad that it is not, I love that cigar

rofthe
01-20-2011, 09:16 PM
Yeah, plus those videos are old now. Bad thing about youtube is some stuff that should be updated or removed is still there. Guess Eddie had a change of heart because he just told me the blend has not changed.

I agree. I think that video must be removed now, since it is not updated because many may also be confuse when they watch that video. If i haven't only read this whole thread I would also be confused on that video.

nick2021
01-21-2011, 05:13 AM
Based on the opinions in here may have to try and smoke one today...it's been on my list of things to do :)

JJG
01-21-2011, 07:34 AM
I wouldn't be terribly disappointed if they made the red 601 a tad more full bodied, as long as the flavor remains the same. Not everyone likes them, but those who do like the reds, LOVE them, myself included.

The new band is ugly sure, but I assume they're probably cheaper too which is fine by me, since as both Rocky and Eddie mentioned, they're passing the cost savings along to the consumer and lowering the price per stick by several dollars. :tu

staminator
01-22-2011, 11:42 AM
Blue is still the same 'ol. Same 'ol delicious.

Chemyst
01-22-2011, 05:13 PM
Thanks for the info, guys.
I was wondering if the new blue bands meant a reblend.
Thankfully, NOT!

Chemyst :cool2:

whodeeni
01-22-2011, 06:30 PM
before the first quarter is over they will be changing the bands back...
Eddie told me himself in December...

MiamiE
01-22-2011, 06:32 PM
These things are like smoking a chocolate bar. Had one this evening!

tx_tuff
01-24-2011, 09:06 AM
I wouldn't be terribly disappointed if they made the red 601 a tad more full bodied, as long as the flavor remains the same. Not everyone likes them, but those who do like the reds, LOVE them, myself included.

The new band is ugly sure, but I assume they're probably cheaper too which is fine by me, since as both Rocky and Eddie mentioned, they're passing the cost savings along to the consumer and lowering the price per stick by several dollars. :tu

Have you tried the 601 Green? I think they have a similar flavor profile of the Red but more full body, a little stronger. My favorite of the 601 line.

bigswol2
01-25-2011, 12:54 PM
the greens are my favorite of the line

STEVE S
01-25-2011, 02:44 PM
The Blue 601s have not had any changes made, except for the band. They will be back to the old bands soon.

RandJCigars
01-27-2011, 12:11 AM
601 Blue is one of my all time favorites. Smooth, luxurious, and lots of smoke volume. Notes of coffee, cocoa, nutmeg (or cinnamon?).

I talked to the RP rep for our area, Austin Moore, and he said the cigar bands are going back to the old style....thats a blessing.

Zeuceone
01-27-2011, 12:26 AM
Now everyone will complain how they liked the new band.

RandJCigars
01-27-2011, 12:42 AM
I hated them, they gave the 601's a "bundled" look to them. Very cheap, and misleading.

kafreeman
01-27-2011, 07:26 PM
The Blue 601s have not had any changes made, except for the band. They will be back to the old bands soon.

Good news.

Now everyone will complain how they liked the new band.

HAH... I bet they will.

bigswol2
01-27-2011, 08:01 PM
yeah the old ones were very classy!