PDA

View Full Version : Blends that Work

novasurf
01-18-2011, 03:27 PM
Sometimes you can’t get it all from a single origin. No matter how you stand on your head and try to coax a different result out of your single origin roast, you just don’t get the end result you desire. So you get to a point where you think it may be a good idea to create a blend. We are not talking about the monkey mix you create from leftovers. We are talking about a conscious effort to craft a cup that you, your friends and family love. From scratch. It isn’t as hard as you think. Because you know how to roast, you source great green coffee and you trust your palate. So what are the blends that work for you? Do you have a go to combination that you enjoy?

BSB
01-18-2011, 04:03 PM
I like my own variation of Mocca Java, as evidenced in the Daily thread. I like some pre-blended green, like the famous Negrita and I buy a few different espresso blends, but I am just roasting those to give to my Brother. I haven't done any other blending, but my researching of late has got me considering it.
On the other hand, with SO MANY awesome SO coffees out there, I'm having a lot of fun, just trying as many of them as I can.

floydpink
01-18-2011, 07:27 PM
Funny you mention monkey mix, as Sweet Marias Monkey blend is one of my favorite blends.

At this stage, I leave the blending to the pros, but try to take note of what I am roasting.

For example, I tend to roast my beans into second crack and find that blends with Brazilian beans don't do so well with the darker roasts and get an ashy taste.

I can't remember the last time I bought single origin beans, but am a little odd I suppose as all my drinks involve frothed milk.

At some point, I plan on trying my hand at blending and imagine that, with a little trial and error, I will figure it out.

novasurf
01-20-2011, 03:52 AM
50% Mexican, 50% Guatemala works

JDTexan
01-20-2011, 04:55 AM
This is a great thread, the only blending I have done is a 50/50 Mocha Java. In plan on piggy backing on some of your ideas.

Mister Moo
01-20-2011, 05:50 AM
On someone elses advice I tried some mundane sumatran mandheling 50/50 with Santa Maria COE (which was not to my taste) and the result was magnificent. I could not have imagined how the two, together, would make something so totally different.

novasurf
01-26-2011, 03:39 PM
This morning's blend: Guatemalan Huehuetenago Limonar 70% (roasted to second crack) and Burundi Gatare Burbon 30% (roasted City). It was perfect.

replicant_argent
01-26-2011, 04:11 PM
I have been doing a roughly equal mix of Guatemalan Hard bean fairly lightly roasted, lighter city-ish roast, and some Sumatra Mandheling roasted at a full city.
I don't have the palate to describe it, but it is fantastic.

canadianbeaver
01-26-2011, 08:06 PM
We have a fantastic blend called Global Warming... 1/3;1/3;1/3

Jamaican Blue Mountain
Hawaiian Kona
Ethiopian Yirgacheffe

It will knock your socks off.

novasurf
02-11-2011, 06:32 PM
Sumatra's low bass note, low acidity provide an excellent foundation for experimentation.