PDA

View Full Version : Hard Times CA support group

Superbad
01-17-2011, 09:37 AM
I was thinking about Kgoings' post, regarding the BOTL's here who helped him out. I would have done what I could, if I had known. Maybe we could get a list going of people who are willing to help. We could keep it off board so people would have their privacy. If someone needed help with something, we could take the issue to the people on the list and those who wanted to, could help. This could be as simple as helping a BOTL raise some cash by selling off some cigars, or even just sending prayers their way. If you were away from home and had a problem, CA members are everywhere, we might be able to find someone nearby to help out. I know I am always ready to help a brother in need.

Just food for thought. If you want to talk about this via PM that is cool too.

Chingas
01-17-2011, 09:40 AM
In in Bobby. Great idea. Thanks.

Smokin Gator
01-17-2011, 10:13 AM
In in Bobby. Great idea. Thanks.

:tu Me too!!

hotreds
01-17-2011, 10:15 AM
I like this idea. We need a point of contact- Bobby would you be willing to be this? That way someone could PM you with his "problem" if he didn't want to let the entire asylum know. Another thing is to get approval of the TOE for this.

Whee
01-17-2011, 10:19 AM
Something similiar here

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=11138

massphatness
01-17-2011, 10:22 AM
There's a thread that kinda' addresses your idea, Bobby:

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=11138&highlight=Tough+Economic

Not 100% in line with what you had in mind, but it is a thread where guys can go volunteer some spare cash to help a brother or sister out.

There was, at one time, an effort to get a group of samaritans together who would help out behind the scenes, but that ended up getting scuttled because the logistics involved. (It wasn't as easy as you would think.)

Superbad
01-17-2011, 10:40 AM
I like this idea. We need a point of contact- Bobby would you be willing to be this? That way someone could PM you with his "problem" if he didn't want to let the entire asylum know. Another thing is to get approval of the TOE for this.

I will see what the TOE have to say on this. :tu

Ogre
01-17-2011, 10:45 AM
Im In

WildBlueSooner
01-17-2011, 10:46 AM
Standing by to assist

G G
01-17-2011, 10:46 AM
I would sign on as well and i think its a great idea. I agree with Vin though that it could potentially become a logistical nightmare.

icehog3
01-17-2011, 10:48 AM
I was thinking about Kgoings' post, regarding the BOTL's here who helped him out. I would have done what I could, if I had known. Maybe we could get a list going of people who are willing to help. We could keep it off board so people would have their privacy. If someone needed help with something, we could take the issue to the people on the list and those who wanted to, could help. This could be as simple as helping a BOTL raise some cash by selling off some cigars, or even just sending prayers their way. If you were away from home and had a problem, CA members are everywhere, we might be able to find someone nearby to help out. I know I am always ready to help a brother in need.

Just food for thought. If you want to talk about this via PM that is cool too.

If the list of good samaritans and the list of those in need were both kept off the board, and everything was handled via PM, I personally don't see how it will be an issue...the ToE won't even know it is happening unless they are involved. But that's my thoughts, I will see what the others chime in with.

BTcigars
01-17-2011, 02:22 PM
Great idea!

Drez
01-17-2011, 04:04 PM
I am In on this for sure. Anything to help out a Botl or Sotl.

massphatness
01-17-2011, 05:01 PM
If the list of good samaritans and the list of those in need were both kept off the board, and everything was handled via PM, I personally don't see how it will be an issue...

FYI Bobby -- I think this was the sticking point the last time. Can't speak for the TOE, but from my experience (and as weird as it may seem on the face of it), I don't think the open forums can be used as a conduit to facilitate this venture. I could be completely wrong about that (my memory isn't what it once was), and you may want to seek TOE guidance if you haven't already.

kelmac07
01-17-2011, 05:18 PM
Great idea...Bobby's heart is definetly in the right place. :tu :tu

pnoon
01-17-2011, 05:24 PM
My :2 - fwiw.

I applaud the generosity, charity and thoughtfulness of our members. It is part of what makes this place so special. But I think an organized venture is not a good idea for a couple of reasons. First, most folks don't want a public declaration of their "problem". Even privately, it is difficult for many folks to ask for help. Another thing to consider is there are unscrupulous people who might try and take advantage of the charity. Who would decide if someone gets help or not? And how would that determination be made? You may have members of the group at odds over who and how to help. From back in the CS days to the present here in Cigar Asylum, people have stepped forward on an as needed or case-by-case basis. Honestly, I think that works well.

Please take my feedback above as a member (not as an admin) who has a fair amount of experience in this area. I have seen legitimate needs and I've seen scams.

Now, as an admin, I will say that if this moves forward all of the mechanics and logistics need to stay off the public forums and be conducted via PM or outside of CA.

Chingas
01-18-2011, 05:25 AM
How sad is it that someone would try to scam or take advantage of something like this. It's really sad.

Thanks for the words Peter and Tom. Vin as well.

Bobby, I'm still game for helping out a Brother/Sister in need. It's obvious this goes off the board. At the point where someone creates a post, telling the board their problem, I think you can step in with a handful of cats and offer assistance.

As far as Inmates contacting you in private for help, I don't think that will be an issue being that no one would really know we exist.

I stand behind you Brother. Just let me know what you wanna do.

icehog3
01-18-2011, 10:20 AM
How sad is it that someone would try to scam or take advantage of something like this. It's really sad.

It truly is Chingas, but some of us who have been around a lot of years have seen it more than once. :hn

I still applaud the efforts that many have made over that time to some who truly were in need. :)

floydpink
01-18-2011, 10:33 AM
It truly is Chingas, but some of us who have been around a lot of years have seen it more than once. :hn

I still applaud the efforts that many have made over that time to some who truly were in need. :)

Sadly, I witnessed one of these events a couple years ago with the guy whose house "burning down" lead to an outpouring of support and turned out to be a hoax. (everypipe.com)

I love the giving culture of the board, and seeing that still leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

I hope the culture never dies.

Starscream
01-18-2011, 10:49 AM

It's happened. I remember a thread at CS where some guy said his house had burned down or something and a lot of people sent money and items to help out. Turned out the guy was scamming the board and made off pretty well.:td

Chingas
01-18-2011, 12:06 PM
That's freakin ridiculous. I've only been in the Asylum family since June. So a relatively short period of time. I understand some of you Brothers been around the block and back many many times and unfortunately have seen some seriously aweful things.

It's sad and adds a fistful of rage to hear stories like the one above. How someone could live with themselves after some **** like that is incomprehensible.

This isn't the thread to get into it. So I won't.

Bobby, like I said before. I got your back 100% however you decide to work this out. :tu

replicant_argent
01-18-2011, 12:12 PM
It's happened. I remember a thread at CS where some guy said his house had burned down or something and a lot of people sent money and items to help out. Turned out the guy was scamming the board and made off pretty well.:td

A very sad time in CS history. Some stand up brothers did what they thought was the right thing because a sleazebag played on their generosity.