PDA

View Full Version : Homebrewing education resources?

jesseboston81
01-12-2011, 09:39 PM
I want to learn more about (and eventually begin) homebrewing, but I know absolutely nothing. I learn well by reading, so do any of you homebrewers have any great books or other resources that I could go to in order to learn the basics?

Zeuceone
01-12-2011, 09:48 PM
Homebrewtalk dot com and the joy of home brewing, the book.

swh127
01-13-2011, 06:21 AM
I second The Complete Joy of Homebrewing (http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Homebrewing-Third-Harperresource-Book/dp/0060531053/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1294924909&sr=8-1). Was one of the best books when I was researching the hobby. I have a few friends that still do it and each one of them would agree.

BeerAdvocate
01-13-2011, 07:19 AM
Before I started Homebrewing I read countless posts on Homebrewtalk and read the two books below. For me, How to Brew by John Palmer was the easist to understand.
Here are a few other links to get you started:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Must Read Books:
How to Brew by John Palmer
The Complete Joy of Homebrewing by Charlie Papazian

Great Starter kit: (best price)
www.midwestsupplies.com/brewing-starter-kit.html

Homebrewing Forum:
www.homebrewtalk.com

Ingredient Kits & Supplies: (My two Favorite)
www.austinhomebrew.com
www.northernbrewer.com

kaisersozei
01-13-2011, 07:23 AM
And another vote for Papazian's book and the homebrewing forum linked above. There are also a few threads on here with lots of good info from helpful HBOTLs (homebrewing brothers of the leaf! :tu)

Commander Quan
01-13-2011, 07:39 AM
http://www.howtobrew.com/ This is a book by John Palmer and is now in it's 3rd edition, but he keeps the first edition of the book online and you can read it in it's entirety on the website. He does a good job taking you from your first batch all the way up through all grain brewing, some parts of the book get a little to scientific for your first batches, but that stuff isn't important until you get into the hobby a little deeper.

Springsman
01-13-2011, 08:02 AM
+99bagillion on "The complete joy of Homebrewing" book.

cricky101
01-13-2011, 08:26 AM
Homebrewtalk dot com and the joy of home brewing, the book.

I've been scouring that forum for weeks. It's helped me IMMENSELY! Didn't even sign up as a member; just read, and read, and read .... First batch is bottle conditioning right now, and second kit is on the way!

Zeuceone
01-13-2011, 12:19 PM
I've been scouring that forum for weeks. It's helped me IMMENSELY! Didn't even sign up as a member; just read, and read, and read .... First batch is bottle conditioning right now, and second kit is on the way!

I'm on the same boat. I'm still thinking about what I should make for the second batch. I might go with a belgium type ale.

jesseboston81
01-13-2011, 09:40 PM
Thanks everyone for your help, I'll definitely check into these resources!