PDA

View Full Version : C.A.O. America potomac

Don Fernando
01-09-2011, 09:04 AM
This cigar is a looker and lives up to the America name because both wrappers are American. The dark wrapper is a broadleaf Connecticut while the lighter wrapper is Connecticut and both are grown in the United States. The binder is Brazilian and the filler, all ligero, comes from Nicaragua, Dominican Republic, Italy and the United States. I smoked the Potomac, a 5x56 cigars that I got a few years ago from Eric from Kioki Cigars as a welcome gift when I signed up for Club Stogie (lowland louie, rest in peace)

http://i1006.photobucket.com/albums/af186/cigarguide/reviews/caoamericapotomac1.jpg

The wrapper is beautiful, and instead of making a straight forward barberpole the people at C.A.O. created an unusual pattern with the two different wrappers, it is more like a lighter colored pinstripe on a dark cigar. The cigar has a mild smell of wood. The construction feels good. The bands support the whole America theme of the cigar. The predraw is on the loose side and tastes like spicy raisin.

http://i1006.photobucket.com/albums/af186/cigarguide/reviews/caoamericapotomac2.jpg

I taste a bitter and musty coffee flavor with something sweet and that sweetness becomes dominant after a few puffs. After half an inch I taste some wood, some herbs, lots of sweetness and those flavors are mild spicy.

http://i1006.photobucket.com/albums/af186/cigarguide/reviews/caoamericapotomac3.jpg

After an inch and a half the flavors are sweet with herbs, burned wood and a hint of chocolate. Halfway the sweetness disappears and now I taste burned and mild spicy herbs. After two thirds I taste a mild salty licorice flavor with burned herbs and wood.

http://i1006.photobucket.com/albums/af186/cigarguide/reviews/caoamericapotomac4.jpg

This cigar has a smoke time of an hour and ten minutes. I got a lot of thick white smoked. The light colored as is firm. The burn is crooked. This cigar is full flavored and medium to full bodied.

http://i1006.photobucket.com/albums/af186/cigarguide/reviews/caoamericapotomac5.jpg

Would I buy this cigar again? No, this cigar reminds me of an old girlfriend. Both looked good but both left a bad taste in my mouth.

Appearance: 8 / 10
Construction: 7 / 10
Draw: 7 / 10
Burn: 6 / 10
Smoke & ash: 7 / 10
Aroma first part: 5 / 10
Aroma second part: 6 / 10
Aroma third part: 5 / 10

shvictor
01-09-2011, 09:17 AM
Nice review Ferdie. I for one really like this cigar

kelmac07
01-09-2011, 09:44 AM
Nice review Ferdie. I didn't enjoy the two I have torched either.

Skywalker
01-09-2011, 09:53 AM
Please give us a review of the old girlfriend and define the taste she left in your mouth... Nevermind!!!:D

68TriShield
01-09-2011, 10:05 AM
"A bad taste" is too generous.I found them tasteless.

Don Fernando
01-09-2011, 01:57 PM
"A bad taste" is too generous.I found them tasteless.

same goes for the girlfriend, especially after the break-up :D

mariogolbee
01-09-2011, 02:03 PM
Ya, I tried one of these on the 4th last year. I was so Excited ti finally try it! So much so, that I attempted with all of my might to stay with it in a hope that it might do something for me. I found this cigar to be absolutely repulsive. There are only a handful of cigars which disgust me as much as this one did. What a shame.

Thanks for the review Ferdie!

forms
01-09-2011, 02:06 PM
I'm very much looking forward to smoking the one I've just been given. I'll post my thoughts when I get round to smoking it...

borndead1
01-09-2011, 02:46 PM
Strange...I have yet to hear of anyone who REALLY likes these. Most of what I hear is either "they're OK" or negative.

Ferdie, thanks for all your reviews.

Don Fernando
01-09-2011, 03:42 PM
You're welcome Mark, I have a lot more scheduled.

Smokin Gator
01-09-2011, 03:47 PM
Thanks for the review Ferdie... and I concur. Not my cup of tea at all!!

mpd340
01-09-2011, 04:00 PM
I think i'll have to try one.

-(P

BigAsh
01-09-2011, 07:10 PM
... this cigar reminds me of an old girlfriend. Both looked good but both left a bad taste in my mouth.

:r:r:r....Ferdie....couldn't have said it better myself!

BTcigars
01-09-2011, 09:26 PM
Liking a bad cigar to a bad woman...hilarious! :D

Mr B
01-10-2011, 10:39 AM
I was pretty excited to try this one too. However at the halfway point it became very boring and had flavors not to my liking. I put it down and grabbed someting else.

bajaraider
01-11-2011, 09:53 AM
I have heard and read a lot of mixed reviews. I have a few of these that I have been sitting on, and I guess saving them for a good American Holiday.

When I do smoke one, I will post my thoughts.

forms
01-11-2011, 10:44 AM
Someone must have a positive review of this cigar..? I can't believe that it is universally hated (or at least disliked) by all cigar enthusiasts that have tried it.

bajaraider
01-11-2011, 10:56 AM
I have heard several guys at the shop talk about how much they like it. I do not recall any specifics, however they have been positive.

BTcigars
01-11-2011, 12:53 PM
I have heard and read a lot of mixed reviews. I have a few of these that I have been sitting on, and I guess saving them for a good American Holiday.

When I do smoke one, I will post my thoughts.

The cigar that a lot of BOTL's save for a American holiday (e.g. 4th of July) is the Camacho Liberty, which is a much more enjoyable smoke.

Mr B
01-11-2011, 01:22 PM
The cigar that a lot of BOTL's save for a American holiday (e.g. 4th of July) is the Camacho Liberty, which is a much more enjoyable smoke.

I agree 100%

Katmancross
01-11-2011, 08:09 PM
Strange...I have yet to hear of anyone who REALLY likes these. Most of what I hear is either "they're OK" or negative.

Ferdie, thanks for all your reviews.

These sticks need extensive aging. A couple months is not enough. I let a couple marinate for about 4 months and they were dynamite. I've tried them on receipt and after a few weeks and I didn't like them.

Don Fernando
01-12-2011, 04:07 AM
Philip, trust me, this one had more time than 4 months, at least 2 and a half years, and it still sucked.

mariogolbee
01-12-2011, 04:25 AM
:tpd: The Liberty actually took the foul taste of the CAO America out of my mouth and saved the 4th of July American stick theme for me.
Philip, trust me, this one had more time than 4 months, at least 2 and a half years, and it still sucked.
:tpd:

swh127
01-12-2011, 07:41 AM

:tpd::tpd:

I have smoked a Camacho liberty on the 4th for the past few years. Definitely something to look forward to each year.

lyle23
01-12-2011, 08:46 AM
I have enjoyed most of the CAO sticks that I have had. This was one of the few that I did not like. I didnt like this and the saprano. I thought the saprano was maybe a $5 stick at best. Way over priced but there your paying for the name. I was excited to try this one and it was a huge let down. Great review again!

Katmancross
01-12-2011, 08:47 AM

That's so odd. This tells me that the manufacturing of the cigar is not consistent. Quality control is lax.
I believe you. They probably spend more time worrying about the pin stripe than the ingredients.