PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Steak House

ChicagoWhiteSox
01-06-2011, 08:09 PM
Chop House in Chicago for me. Gene and Georgetti is a close second. What's your favorite?

G G
01-06-2011, 08:10 PM
Texas Roadhouse for me.

yachties23
01-06-2011, 08:11 PM
Chop House in Chicago for me. Gene and Georgetti is a close second. What's your favorite?

I thoroughly enjoyed Chop House while I was out there in July. My fave NYC places are DelFrisco's and Smith and Wollenskys.

ChicagoWhiteSox
01-06-2011, 08:14 PM
I thoroughly enjoyed Chop House while I was out there in July. My fave NYC places are DelFrisco's and Smith and Wollenskys.

There's a Smith and Wollenskys in Chicago as well. Never been there though.

forgop
01-06-2011, 08:15 PM
Best steak ever for me was Sparks in NYC...seemed like that steak could be cut with a fork.

Here in Indy, St. Elmo's is king and my other favorite place for steaks is Le Cellier at Epcot Center.

joeobx
01-06-2011, 08:18 PM
Filet from Joe's deck :D

Col. Kurtz
01-06-2011, 08:18 PM
In Raleigh, The Peddler and the Angus Barn are hard to beat. Sam's and Swain's were great, but shuttered now.

timo
01-06-2011, 08:21 PM
Texas Roadhouse for me.
:tpd:

G G
01-06-2011, 08:22 PM
Yall have them up there Tim?

ChicagoWhiteSox
01-06-2011, 08:28 PM
My dad loves David Burke's.

Volusianator
01-06-2011, 08:33 PM
We have a grill your own in Green Bay, The Prime Quarter, good food, VERY fun grilling your own. As far as an upscale, Ruth's Chris.

ChicagoWhiteSox
01-06-2011, 08:46 PM
We have a grill your own in Green Bay, The Prime Quarter, good food, VERY fun grilling your own. As far as an upscale, Ruth's Chris.

Ruth's Chris is a solid pick. Just about in every big city.

pektel
01-06-2011, 09:14 PM
Of all the places ive been, I still prefer a nice ribeye on my grill at home.
Posted via Mobile Device

jmsremax
01-06-2011, 09:21 PM
I'd have to say Ruth's Chris for a chain, but local steak house (Boston) I'd go with Grill 23. :tu

elderboy02
01-06-2011, 09:33 PM
The Precinct (http://www.jeffruby.com/precinct.php) in Cincinnati, OH

Jeff Ruby owns it and he knows his steaks.

icehog3
01-06-2011, 11:59 PM
The Precinct (http://www.jeffruby.com/precinct.php) in Cincinnati, OH

Plus he shot Lee Harvey Oswald! :tu

When disregarding price, my favorite is Morton's in Chicago. Sad you can't smoke a cigar after dinner there anymore.

Gibson's is good too, had my last legal cigar in a Chicago restaurant there a couple years ago with Julian, Mike and Alex.

gnbikes
01-07-2011, 01:41 AM
The Met. Grill in Seattle is a classic grill down top the white coats and superior service. Best Steakhouse in Vegas is Mortons.
G-

timo
01-07-2011, 03:53 AM
Yall have them up there Tim?
Yep and it's the closest restaurant to my house:)

htown
01-07-2011, 05:04 AM
Ruth's Chris with some cream spinach and potatoes au gratin.

massphatness
01-07-2011, 05:05 AM
Coach Grill in Wayland, MA - we've been requesting the same waiter for years, and his personal touches combined with their outstanding filets make it a first class experience all the way.

For just the steak? Flemmings in Boston or the Capital Grill. However the formers svc is sometimes less than stellar and the latter can be stuffy. But their steaks are rated prime and therefore delicious.
Posted via Mobile Device

MiamiE
01-07-2011, 05:18 AM
Ruth's Chris!

Kreth
01-07-2011, 05:28 AM
The Rex in Billings, MT.
Posted via Mobile Device

mosesbotbol
01-07-2011, 05:34 AM
In Boston it's a tie between Abe & Louis' or Smith and Wollensky's. Grill 23 is also quite nice.

In Montreal, I love Queue de Cheval and sometimes go to Moishe's.

Out of all mentioned, Queue de Cheval is just :dr :banger :noon The have glass encased bar that is cigar friendly. When Montreal did not have a smoking ban, they would roll a cart to the table filled with Habanos, Port, and Madeira to the table! Talk about a kid in a candy shop!

Blueface
01-07-2011, 05:48 AM
DelFrisco's in Las Vegas

Lumpold
01-07-2011, 06:16 AM
Uno's in Worcester, MA, or my house, UK.

chippewastud79
01-07-2011, 06:22 AM
Jeff Ruby's Waterfront or Precinct
Better than any other steakhouse I have been to in any big city. Including, Shulas, Ruth Chris and Mortons. :tu

Thank God he does, otherwise people would be ordering steaks well done with ketchup. ;)

jmsremax
01-07-2011, 07:01 AM
Coach Grill in Wayland, MA - we've been requesting the same waiter for years, and his personal touches combined with their outstanding filets make it a first class experience all the way.

I need to make a trip to Wayland! Thanks for the heads up about this place....it's going on my list of places to try.In Boston it's a tie between Abe & Louis' or Smith and Wollensky's. Grill 23 is also quite nice.

Moses, what makes you like S & W more than Grill 23? I've yet to go to S&W which is why I'm asking.

McSmokey
01-07-2011, 07:07 AM
If I'm not cooking it at home, my #1 place to go to is a little hole-in-wall joint called "Nicks in the Sticks" and it's literally in the sticks as far as location, but they cook a Fillet Mignon that most days you can literally cut with a fork. Great now I'm gonna have to go to Nicks tonite. :D

marge796
01-07-2011, 07:14 AM
The Plaza III in Kansas City MO is damn good. The Hereford House at Zona Rosa also in KC is a close second.

:dr

Chris.....

Scothew
01-07-2011, 07:48 AM
If I'm not cooking it at home, my #1 place to go to is a little hole-in-wall joint called "Nicks in the Sticks" and it's literally in the sticks as far as location, but they cook a Fillet Mignon that most days you can literally cut with a fork. Great now I'm gonna have to go to Nicks tonite. :D

Im gonna have to look that place up J.

aich75013
01-07-2011, 07:53 AM
When in Vegas we always go to Mesa Grill. My wife is a Bobby Flay fan.
I always get the fillet and have cut it with a fork.

The first time I went to Texas Roadhouse I was not impressed. They've definitely improved or maybe I just got a bad cut that time.
. I like their steaks now.
Posted via Mobile Device

Damocles
01-07-2011, 08:03 AM
Ruth's Chris, ribeye au poivre. Daaaaaaaang.

RatherUneek
01-07-2011, 08:04 AM
Ruth's Chris with some cream spinach and potatoes au gratin.

You said it! I order either the ribeye or filet everytime I go with those sides. Chamberlain's in Dallas if really good as well. But for my normans budget I normally go to Saltgrass.

mosesbotbol
01-07-2011, 08:05 AM
I need to make a trip to Wayland! Thanks for the heads up about this place....it's going on my list of places to try.

Moses, what makes you like S & W more than Grill 23? I've yet to go to S&W which is why I'm asking.

I like the decore at S&W, along with better wine glasses than Grill 23 and more reasonably priced wine list. S&W has a similar quality steak that costs a little less. There's less hassle getting a seat. The potato crisp thing is really good. The desserts are very similar. The wine presentation is the first thing that comes to mind though. Don't expect S&W to be "better"; they're all on a similar playing field except for Capital Grill which is a small step down.

To me, it's about service, plates-cutlery-glassware, and wine. Anyone can cook a steak and it's just a meal. The fine touches are what set it apart. Does the wine come out at the right temperature? Do they decant it through cheese cloth?

A&L does have Ch. Musar on their wine list for a good price; that alone is enough to get me to A&L first.

mosesbotbol
01-07-2011, 08:07 AM
When in Vegas we always go to Mesa Grill. My wife is a Bobby Flay fan.
I always get the fillet and have cut it with a fork.

I was impressed with Mesa Grill in Vegas. Excellent wine list and great service. I wouldn't have expected such attention and detail not knowing anything about Mesa Grill before eating there. Watching Flay on TV, I would have though it was a touch more casual.

Parshooter
01-07-2011, 08:10 AM
We have 5 prime steakhouses within 2 miles of my house: Eddie Merlot's, Ruth's Chris, Hyde Park (chain out of Cleveland), Mitchell's (chain out of Columus) and J Gilbert's. We go to Gilberts 2-3 times a month, the others about once every 2 or 3 months.

McSmokey
01-07-2011, 08:13 AM
Im gonna have to look that place up J.

Come on down Scott we'll make trip!!

Steve
01-07-2011, 08:31 AM
Of all the places ive been, I still prefer a nice ribeye on my grill at home.
Posted via Mobile Device

x2 :dr

CigarNut
01-07-2011, 08:38 AM
For a chain I like Morton's followed by El Gaucho. Ruth's Chris is a distant 3rd. Last time I was at Morton's I was able to have a cigar before dinner. Can't do that anymore.

El Gaucho (in Portland) still has a cigar room :D

01-07-2011, 09:20 AM
Leli's Italian Steakhouse in Auburn Hills. The original was in Detroit. Best Filet Mignon you'll ever taste. You don't have to chew it; it melts in your mouth. :dr

Plus it is a 5 course meal. It comes with an antipasto tray (cheese, cocktail shimp, etc), salad, spaghetti, then you're main course of steak & potatos, followed by desert. The standard desert is spumoni ice cream, but I would recommend the homemade chocolate ice cream instead.

I've had Ruth's Chris, and they make a good filet as well. Good, but not Leli's. But better yet is that you get all 5 courses for the same price as the "a le carte" filet from Ruth's Chris.

What I liked better about the downtown location was the atmosphere. Don't get me wrong, Auburn Hills is a better area, with good service, and a great dining room. What the orignal had was history and tradition. Leli's of Detroit didn't even have female waitresses. Not one. They had only male waitors, old italian guys, wearing tuxedos (w/ jacket). They would wait off to the side with a white towel over their arm just in case a need arose. Unreal service. Plus the building was old, dimly lit, very different feel than most places. Very "old school" fancy italian restaurant.

IBQTEE1
01-07-2011, 09:24 AM
There is a local placed called Chicago Prime that has some great melt in your mouth steak. Doesn't hurt to know the owner too. :)

bonjing
01-07-2011, 09:40 AM
House of Prime Rib in San Francisco.

I've tried to enjoy Harris Ranch Steakhouse in Coalinga but their meat or at least the way they prepare it just sucks butt.

Chainsaw13
01-07-2011, 10:08 AM
The Plaza III in Kansas City MO is damn good. The Hereford House at Zona Rosa also in KC is a close second.

I'll have to try the Plaza III next time I'm in KC. Loved the Hereford House the times I've been there.

captain53
01-07-2011, 10:28 AM
The Pump Room in the Ambassodor Hotel - Chicago Ribeye!

#2 Local Single Location - CHARLIE'S STEAK HOUSE
A NEW ORLEANS TRADITION SINCE 1932 - It was destroyed in Katrina but back open. I am not sure it is under the same ownership though. Porterhouse!

#3 Local Single Selection - Johnny's Cafe in Omaha, NE. There is another place in Omaha called Johnny's Italian Steakhouse (chain) that is very good and a bit more modern but the Cafe is at the old Stockyards and fabulous for those of us who appreciate Old School atmosphere. Prime Rib is Great!

#4 Single Location - Rube's Steakhouse & Lounge - Des Moines Metro - Waukee, IA ... Best beef anywhere but you cook it yourself. Also a great place to order steak from as they are a butchershop also. Filet Mignon!

In the multi-location (chain) class I most enjoy Sullivans, The Palm and Pappas Steak House. Pappas is at the top of the list here, only 2 locations Dallas & Houston.

sobranie10
01-07-2011, 10:35 AM
The Irma Hotel established in 1902 still owned by decedents of Buffalo Bill Cody family. western beef oh so good :tu

Kobe Japan,
To be called Kobe Beef the meat must not only come from a Wagyu cow but also have been produced in Kobe and meet rigid production standards.
But the Kobe cow is given a very high quality feed and is not force-fed. Once in a while the cattle is given a drink of beer, the effect of the beer is to increase the cows appetite so it eats more. Because it isn’t force fed, the cow is generally less stressed and everybody knows that a stressed cow gives tougher meat?
This brings us to massaging. Farmer’s hand massages the cows to tenderize the meat and to relax the cow. The farmers insist that this directly affects the quality of the meat and once you have taisted this meet you will never forget. Kobe Beef in the United States Is not even Comparable :D

CasaDooley
01-07-2011, 10:45 AM
Spencer's. Best rib-eye I have ever ate. I have never had a bad steak at this establishment.:dr
http://www.spencersforsteaksandchops.com/

mpd340
01-07-2011, 10:48 AM
Cattleman's in Oklahoma City. Awesome steak been in business since 1907.

Stephen
01-07-2011, 11:05 AM
Haven't been to a lot of the havey hitters, but of the one's I've ate at I'd say that Primehouse in Chicago brought the lumber.

croatan
01-07-2011, 11:05 AM
I eat at Del Frisco's a lot because it's a block away from my office and I do love it, but of the steakhouses I've been to, I'd probably rank Pappas Bros (Houston and Dallas) as my first and maybe Delmonico's (Vegas) as my second.

fxpose
01-07-2011, 01:50 PM
Park Drive Bar & Grill in Los Angeles

jonumberone
01-07-2011, 01:59 PM
One of the best meals I had was at the SW steakhouse in the Wynn.
Delmonicos was great here as well, but SW had them beat in my book.

Peter Luger in Brooklyn has good food but I felt like the staff thought they were doing me a favor by letting me eat there. Not stuffy, snooty, pinky in the air atmosphere, more like aren't you lucky to be eating here sort of vibe.

Wolfgangs in NYC is a real treat as well.

yourchoice
01-07-2011, 03:20 PM
Every year for our anniversary, my wife and I go to an upscale steak restaurant for dinner. I have many I like, but the best we''ve ever had was at Smith and Wollensky in Washington DC. It may be because it was our first anniversary over 11 years ago and what started this tradition, but man, it was fantastic.

Others that were memorable that we've enjoyed: Smith and Wollensky (Philly), Capital Grille (Philly), and recently Le Cellier (WDW - Epcot) to name a few. I don't remember being enamored by Ruth Chris or Morton's. Very good...don't get me wrong, but not quite as good.

yachties23
01-07-2011, 09:30 PM
I eat at Del Frisco's a lot because it's a block away from my office and I do love it, but of the steakhouses I've been to, I'd probably rank Pappas Bros (Houston and Dallas) as my first and maybe Delmonico's (Vegas) as my second.

Great call on Delmonico's. That was one of the best, and most expensive meals I've ever eaten. Quite worth it.

BlackDog
01-07-2011, 09:51 PM
Manny's here in Minneapolis. As long as I'm not buying. ;) Drop dead great food and service.

Oh, and Doe's Eat Place in Greenville, MS. One of the most unusual steakhouses I've ever been to.

captain53
01-08-2011, 09:12 AM
Manny's here in Minneapolis. As long as I'm not buying. ;) Drop dead great food and service.

Oh, and Doe's Eat Place in Greenville, MS. One of the most unusual steakhouses I've ever been to.

I am with you on Doe's Eat Place for the unusual category for sure but would not place it on the great steakhouses list even though it is very good and much cheaper than most of those on the great list. I enjoy going there - also the ones in Springfield, MO and Baton Rouge, LA are good.

rizzle
01-26-2011, 07:58 AM

You're bringing back memories , brother!! :tu:tu to Nick's

Mr.Maduro
01-26-2011, 08:52 AM
Hands down.... Peter Luger - Brooklyn, NY 5 minutes from my house too! :dr

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x251/thegeekboy/new%20york%202008/n6.jpg

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c257/scordalakis/Peter%20Lugers/Food.jpg

http://i496.photobucket.com/albums/rr323/scottromig_photos/scottromig_ireland/DSCF0053.jpg

floydpink
01-26-2011, 09:19 AM
Burns Steak House in Tampa or Texas de Brazil in Orlando. (or other locations)

ChicagoWhiteSox
01-26-2011, 09:23 AM
Burns Steak House in Tampa or Texas de Brazil in Orlando. (or other locations)

Burns has a legendary wine list.

hammondc
01-26-2011, 09:28 AM
My house. Grab some Prime grade at Bolners meat market. My steak mix of wood on the BigGreenEgg. 800* sear, let em rest. Drop the empt to 425 to finish them out.

MedicCook
01-26-2011, 09:28 AM
The Steak House, Route 1 in Wells Maine.

jdakine
01-26-2011, 09:50 AM
Nine Steak House in Las Vegas

ucla695
01-26-2011, 10:31 AM
Mastro's in Beverly Hills! :tu

ChicagoWhiteSox
01-26-2011, 10:43 AM
Berns wine cellar. Damn.
http://ncaatradition.com/2003/2berns.jpg

SvilleKid
01-26-2011, 01:23 PM
Don't have any favorites. Never found one that makes them as good and as reasonably priced as I can make at home! And it's always cooked right. And it is always the right steak. my wife and I at at Texas Road House in Knoxville 2 nights ago. She ordered a NY Strip, I had the Rib-eye. The steaks came out, they were the same steak. I told the cook guy that delivered the steaks. He told me I was wrong, that mine was a rib-eye. I just ate it. Not worth the argument in the public. But, there is a definite difference between the meat texture (regardless of the definite shape difference) between rib-eye and NY Strip. And what I had was a strip. Same price on the menu, and I also like NY strip, so wasn't the end of the world. As I left, I told the manager, who didn't appear to give a damn. Thus, no more Texas Roadhouse for me!!!

I'll stick to Clifford's Steakhouse!!!

innova
02-18-2011, 11:57 AM

+1 on NYC Smith & Wollenskys.

Gophernut
03-01-2011, 03:43 PM

In the same area, Mancini's in St Paul. Great service, great atmosphere. The best garlic toast, right off the grill. Perfect.