PDA

View Full Version : My New Favorite Cigar Is.........

longknocker
11-13-2008, 02:46 PM
Padilla Obsidian Belicoso! (At least Until Something Better Comes Along!):D
6X54 RG. Corojo & Nic. Filler, Nic. Ligero Wrapper. This baby Rocks! Nice, Easy Draw, Medium to Full Bodied. Hints of spice & Cocoa and a Rich, Smooth Taste with lots of smoke! Can be had at CI for $100/20 with "Freebie" Sampler! If you haven't tried this smoke, you definitely need to!

9/10 with one point off for slightly uneven burn. Enjoy!

Greg

icantbejon
11-13-2008, 03:39 PM
I had two of these not too long ago and really enjoyed them. I almost went onto CI and got them myself. Then decided that I was too close to going home and didn't feel like shipping more cigars to myself (cause the load I have to ship now is going to cost me a pretty penny as is). When I get home, I'm going to grab some more I do believe.

Good review on a good cigar.

smokin5
11-16-2008, 06:06 PM
I've got about 60 or so of these bad boys, with the latest group coming in this week. Bought on CBid for $34/20 plus shipping.:D

Predominant tastes of coffee & dark chocolate, similar to the Carlos Torano Exodus 1959, but less cedar & stronger kick. Never had a bad draw in the many I've had. Burn can sometimes be a bit off, though. Definitely a stick you want to let sit for 3-9 months before you light. And make sure you have enough time, as they last at least 2 hours or more.

Rockestone
11-16-2008, 06:09 PM
CBid for $34/20 plus shipping.:D

Longknocker, you got ripped!!:r

Genetic Defect
11-16-2008, 06:13 PM
I've got about 60 or so of these bad boys, with the latest group coming in this week. Bought on CBid for $34/20 plus shipping.:D

Predominant tastes of coffee & dark chocolate, similar to the Carlos Torano Exodus 1959, but less cedar & stronger kick. Never had a bad draw in the many I've had. Burn can sometimes be a bit off, though. Definitely a stick you want to let sit for 3-9 months before you light. And make sure you have enough time, as they last at least 2 hours or more.

:rolleyes:

smokin5
11-16-2008, 06:14 PM
Now, in fairness, this last bundle is the BEST price I've ever gotten on these.

weak_link
11-16-2008, 07:53 PM
Just make sure to keep an extra can of fuel around if you try and smoke 'em fresh. Relight city. :(

Ratters
11-16-2008, 09:04 PM
Just make sure to keep an extra can of fuel around if you try and smoke 'em fresh. Relight city. :(:bs

If ya let them rest they are no worse than any other thick wrapper maduro. My last one didn't require one relight at all. Rookie. :rolleyes:

:fu

Here's a review I did awhile ago:

Cigar: Padilla Obsidian
Wrapper: Nicaraguan Maduro
Binder: Nicaragua
Filler: Nicaragua and Honduran corojo
Vitola: Belicoso 6x54
Price: About $5 a stick of CI but you can routinely get the bundles for under $50 on cbid

Setting: Sun room, about 85 degrees out. Drinking an IBC root beer. About 4:30pm.

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd150/Rattersar15/Cigars/IMG_00022-1.jpg

Prelight: Once the cello is removed you can see the cigar has a maduro wrapper of very inconsistent coloration. Even though this should be a fault I find it strangely attractive. The cigar is pretty squishy with a couple soft spots. It has been sitting in my humidor at 65% for a minimum of three months. I'm not a fan of belicosos because I can't peel the cap off but this cut cleanly enough with the Palio. The wrapper has a nice spicy smell to it that tingles the nose. The foot continues the spicyness but with a wet hay component.

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd150/Rattersar15/Cigars/IMG_00042-1.jpg

First third: The resting smoke as I completely lit the foot was very pleasant. The first draws were rewarded with thick clouds of spicy sweet nicaraguan tobacco. From somking so many Camachos I can really taste the corojo leaf in there mingling with the maduro sweetness. Right off the bat you can tell it is a hearty smoke, and though not full in strength of nicotene it is definitely full of flavor. Burn is wavy but even and ash is dark and separated. In fact after about 3/4 of an inch it collapsed on to my laptop and exploded.

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd150/Rattersar15/Cigars/IMG_00052.jpg

Second third: Well, as I hit the second third I had to give it a touchup. I find that cigars with thick maduro wrappers that are smoked on the slow side tend to burn the filler faster than the wrapper. Happens to me a lot as I'm a very slow and easily distracted smoker. But the flavor continues to be really great. A bitter sweet chocolate flavor with just a tingle of spice on the tongue. I haven't had one of these in awhile and I must say I'm really enjoying the visit with them again. The body is now in the medium to full range and the nic bite seems to be picking up a tad as well, or I'm just really tired from the day. :) Ash continues to be really flakey.

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd150/Rattersar15/Cigars/IMG_00062.jpg

Final third: Well, all has been great since the touchup. The flavors are bold and tasty. A coffee bitterness has started at the end of the second third that's really nice. Burn has been wavy but even, though I picked up the pace a bit. Overall a great flavorful earthy smoke so far. The aftertaste is pleasant and lingering. The smoke is wonderful and thick and great for blowing smoke rings. I did have to touch it at about the 2 inch mark, though I think it may have to do with the celing fan blowing down upon it. The body definitely entered the full range and the spice is kicking up a notch though still staying off the back of the throat.

Final thoughts: I've always really enjoyed these though you really have to give them some rest before they're really smokeable. I had a couple burn issues requiring touchups but nothing that detracted from the enjoyment of the smoke. Smoke time was a bit fast for me at 1:15, but I was picking up the pace to keep the burn right. This cigar really pairs well with the rootbeer and brings out the molasses taste out of the IBC. I'm glad I still have a bundle and change of these left, I really need to start smoking them more often. :) Overall a great smoke for about $2.50 a stick.

Smoke again: Soon.
Buy again: For sure when I come close to running out and can give them a three month lead time until I smoke them. And of cbid, of course
Reccommend: Highly for people who like a full bodied spicy sweet maduro.

borndead1
11-17-2008, 11:44 AM
The ones I got are delicious but fireproof. Even when dryboxed for days. But they taste so damn good that I want to give them another chance and snag 1 more bundle.

Cigarcop
11-17-2008, 12:00 PM
I have some of these and do agree they need to be dry boxed.

tobii3
11-17-2008, 12:04 PM
....really enjoyed them. When I get home, I'm going to grab some more...

Anybody need ICBJ's addy for a WELCOME HOME FROM IRAQ package?????

:ss:ss:ss

Gophernut
11-17-2008, 12:49 PM
I have some of these and do agree they need to be dry boxed.

Never had burn problems with these. They do need the 3-9 months though. They are a very good cigar at that point.:2

weak_link
11-17-2008, 01:03 PM
Never had burn problems with these. They do need the 3-9 months though. They are a very good cigar at that point.:2

Yep, once they have some time to settle down they are very nice smokes.

MarkinAZ
11-18-2008, 09:39 PM
Nice review Greg and they sound like a mighty tasty stick. Ratz! Now I gots to stop readin' this thread cuz my cigar budget is 'nil' until January:bh

icantbejon
11-19-2008, 06:01 AM
Anybody need ICBJ's addy for a WELCOME HOME FROM IRAQ package?????

:fl:mad::fl:mad::fl:mad::fl:mad::fl:mad:

WyoBob
11-19-2008, 01:25 PM
longknocker,

Those Obsidian's are pretty danged good, aren't they?

Thanks for reminding me. I need to buy some more. I think I'm down to my last 50:D

WyoBob

Ken
11-21-2008, 07:59 AM
Have taken a glance or two at these though I get put off by CI ads, so never picked any up. Well, I burned one on Halloween and that was a damn good smoke. It's definitely a cigar I'd be interested in keeping in the humi.:ss

longknocker
11-21-2008, 03:51 PM
longknocker,

Those Obsidian's are pretty danged good, aren't they?

Thanks for reminding me. I need to buy some more. I think I'm down to my last 50:D

WyoBob

You got me started on them, Brother! Thanks again!:ss