PDA

View Full Version : Creative Crockpot Cooking

markem
01-04-2011, 11:26 AM
Okay, here's the deal. I have a 2.85lb boneless chuck roast (under blade) that I just took out of the freezer to thaw in the fridge. I plan to cook it Thursday. I also have a good sized crock pot and I'm not afraid to use it.

Rather than thumb through the various crock pot cookbooks that I have, I thought it would be cool to make this a community effort as far as the recipe. I have one other ingredient so far, so let's generate some ideas.

I plan to use a 28 oz can or diced tomatoes, what else should I use?

I realize that the easy thing would be to make it an Italian beef in sauce over pasta. I can't eat anything containing wheat, rye or barley and cheese needs to be avoided as well. This makes it slightly interesting.

Lumpold
01-04-2011, 11:34 AM
How about a morrocan-style beef with cumin, corriander/cilantro, cinnamon and apricot sauce in addition to the tomatoes?

bobarian
01-04-2011, 11:36 AM
Cant go wrong with a package or two of onion soup mix and a bottle of red wine. :2

Mr B
01-04-2011, 11:40 AM
or substitute the cao o tomatoes with Cream of Mushroom & Golden mushroom soup with some beef broth and onions. An hour before its done toss in a bunch of 1" cubed Portabella mushrooms. Break apart and serve over pasta as Stroganoff.

T.G
01-04-2011, 11:51 AM
I'd braise it. Sear it in a hot cast iron pan, then cook it in crock pot with the tomato sauce w/ garlic, onions, bell pepper or Anaheim peppers, peppercorns, cumin and oregano. Then shred it, add a can of tomato paste, coriander, more onions, carrots, peas, sliced green olives, sliced jalapeņos, maybe a few other ingredients, whatever is handy and sounds like it might go well in the dish. If I needed to add liquid, I'd use low-salt beef or chicken stock. Let it cook for a few more hours, until the vegetables are softened. Serve with spanish or mexican rice, warm corn tortillas, salsa and guacamole.

wayner123
01-04-2011, 11:53 AM
Put in some onions, culantro/cilantro and then serve over rice.

markem
01-04-2011, 12:04 PM
or substitute the cao o tomatoes with Cream of Mushroom & Golden mushroom soup with some beef broth and onions. An hour before its done toss in a bunch of 1" cubed Portabella mushrooms. Break apart and serve over pasta as Stroganoff.

Sounds great but I can't eat cream soups (wheat) or pasta.

markem
01-04-2011, 12:06 PM
How about a morrocan-style beef with cumin, corriander/cilantro, cinnamon and apricot sauce in addition to the tomatoes?

Apricots sound like the ticket. Always good with beef, especially slow cooked beef with lots of connective tissue. I wonder if portabello mushrooms would fight too much with the apricot and cumin ...

Subvet642
01-04-2011, 12:08 PM
I'd braise it. Sear it in a hot cast iron pan, then cook it in crock pot with the tomato sauce w/ garlic, onions, bell pepper or Anaheim peppers, peppercorns, cumin and oregano. Then shred it, add a can of tomato paste, coriander, more onions, carrots, peas, sliced green olives, sliced jalapeņos, maybe a few other ingredients, whatever is handy and sounds like it might go well in the dish. If I needed to add liquid, I'd use low-salt beef or chicken stock. Let it cook for a few more hours, until the vegetables are softened. Serve with spanish or mexican rice, warm corn tortillas, salsa and guacamole.

I'm ready to hide my wife's crock-pot, but that sounds like a winner to me.

markem
01-04-2011, 12:10 PM

This sounds really good. We make our own refried beans that are quite good and would work well with this.

plus, the "whatever is handy" part described my cooking to a T.

ghostrider
01-04-2011, 12:18 PM
beer....definitely have to add some beer...

mariogolbee
01-04-2011, 12:20 PM
I've tried many different things with a roast in the crock pot now. One of the best and simplest that I can always go back to is rubbing it with olive oil, and fresh herbs; such as rosemary, oregano, mint, and thyme. I also add a little freshly cracked peppercorn, kosher salt, and a bit of minced garlic. With some potatoes and other vegetables thrown in and some rice on the side it works nicely.

Kreth
01-04-2011, 12:23 PM
I've tried many different things with a roast in the crock pot now. One of the best and simplest that I can always go back to is rubbing it with olive oil, and fresh herbs; such as rosemary, oregano, mint, and thyme. I also add a little freshly cracked peppercorn, kosher salt, and a bit of minced garlic. With some potatoes and other vegetables thrown in and some rice on the side it works nicely.
Sounds great, Mario! What time's dinner? :r
Posted via Mobile Device

T.G
01-04-2011, 12:29 PM
beer....definitely have to add some beer...

If you do, I would recommend using a beer that does not have a strong hops presence (IPAs, etc) as in a long cook the hops can make the dish taste grassy. Dark malty beers work well in long low cooks.:2

mosesbotbol
01-04-2011, 12:43 PM
I would stuff some garlic cloves in it. Coat all sides with salt, pepper, paprika, and brown heavily. Once brown, put 1 oz. of red wine, balsamic vinegar, port or Marsala wine and cook at 200 until done. If you want potatoes mushrooms or onions, add them on the last 40 minutes or so.

Oh yes, cook in dutch oven covered...

mariogolbee
01-04-2011, 12:44 PM
Sounds great, Mario! What time's dinner? :r
Posted via Mobile Device
I'll get it started as soon as you let me know your on your way.;)

I'd listen to anything T.G or Mr B have to say. I've experienced some of their food offerings and listened to them speak passionately about cooking and I am always impressed with the two of them and their creations.:dr

68TriShield
01-04-2011, 12:44 PM
A can of Dr.Pepper added will take care of that connective tissue Mark.

mariogolbee
01-04-2011, 12:47 PM

This is true. Cooking with soda will soften anything. I've used Coke to cook before and always hear great things about Dr. Pepper. Just do it slowly or it will fizz up all over the place. I've seen that happen and it was not a purdy sight.

markem
01-04-2011, 01:07 PM

True dat! I've used it as a marinade before putting some cuts on the smoker. Never tried it in the crockpot. Just bought a 24-pack (same price as a 12 pack this week), so maybe that will get hauled out ...

so many great ideas!

jledou
01-04-2011, 01:19 PM
TG's has my vote.
I have also been known to take a roast and cook it with beef broth, onions and garlic. Then shred the meat up dump the broth and through the meat, onions and garlic back in the crock pot for a few hours with bbq sauce to make some easy and quick bbq beef. Not as good as what comes out of the smoker but works in a pinch when the snow is flying.

68TriShield
01-04-2011, 01:24 PM
True dat! I've used it as a marinade before putting some cuts on the smoker. Never tried it in the crockpot. Just bought a 24-pack (same price as a 12 pack this week), so maybe that will get hauled out ...

so many great ideas!

I added a can to a Venison roast the other morning that went for eight hours or so.
It came out fork tender,just delicious.You really can't taste the soda at all.

captain53
01-04-2011, 02:16 PM
Cant go wrong with a package or two of onion soup mix and a bottle of red wine. :2

Whatever you do don't waste the bottle of red wine on the meat - drink it while the meat slow cooks so you and the meat are crocked!

markem
01-04-2011, 02:56 PM
Whatever you do don't waste the bottle of red wine on the meat - drink it while the meat slow cooks so you and the meat are crocked!

lol! I know several merlots and pinots that are really only good for imparting flavor in cooking. I tend to buy a different bottle of wine as a control for the cook.

ghostrider
01-04-2011, 10:40 PM
If you do, I would recommend using a beer that does not have a strong hops presence (IPAs, etc) as in a long cook the hops can make the dish taste grassy. Dark malty beers work well in long low cooks.:2

I poured in a bottle of guinness for a steak that was overly dried on a smoker...came out amazing...

captain53
01-05-2011, 06:30 AM

lol! I know several merlots and pinots that are really only good for imparting flavor in cooking. I tend to buy a different bottle of wine as a control for the cook.

Julia Childs always said if a wine was not suitable to drink you should not expect food cooked with it to be any different!:tu

mosesbotbol
01-05-2011, 07:22 AM
Julia Childs always said if a wine was not suitable to drink you should not expect food cooked with it to be any different!:tu

Not mention she cook with wine that $40-50 a bottle if she bought the same wine of a current vintage today. Do you look at the wines she is serving? Grand Cru's did not cost like they do today.

replicant_argent
01-05-2011, 08:06 AM

This sounds like a winner, over some cellophane noodles. Don't forget the Sriracha.

kaisersozei
01-05-2011, 08:21 AM

Belgian ales do well with beef in the crockpot. If you don't want to go the more $$ route, Blue Moon is a good choice.