PDA

View Full Version : Subaru Remote Replacement

mosesbotbol
01-03-2011, 10:22 AM
Somebody, whom I won't mention her name, left the remote fob for a 2003 Subaru Forrester in my jeans & it went through the wash. It does not work now. I replaced the battery to make sure.

Where can I get a replacement OEM online for a decent price? Can I avoid going to dealer for this?

Blindjimme
01-03-2011, 11:20 AM
Open it up and take a hair dryer to it first, if still no then:

https://www.ikeyless.com/vehicles/Subaru/Forester/2003

ATobin
01-03-2011, 12:23 PM
You could also try rice, supposedly it works for cell phones.

http://www.ehow.com/how_5043830_dry-cell-phone-out-rice.html

AD720
01-03-2011, 12:29 PM
Is it one of these?

https://www.dragtimes.com/images-classifieds-large/1999-2004-SUBARU-KEYLESS-REMOTE-IMPREZA-FORESTER-LEGACY-for-sale_250743734556.jpg

If so, eBay. Then you can program it yourself. At least that is what I did.

mosesbotbol
01-03-2011, 12:58 PM
Yes, that is it.

forgop
01-03-2011, 05:28 PM
Beware buying them off ebay. I bought a fob for my Avalon a couple of years ago thinking I got a great buy on one. I was at the dealer for 4 hours and they couldn't get the thing programmed. The eventually got a new OEM fob and it took no time at all. My time would have been a lot better spent then the amount of money I thought I would "save" through that ordeal.

AD720
01-03-2011, 05:59 PM
Personally it sounds to me like they may not have wanted it to work so they could sell you one at full dealer markup. But I'm a little :tf. ;)

Anyway that may be true with the newer keyfobs that have a chip that need to programmed by a dealer, require a serial number/VIN etc. but these Subaru keyless remotes can be programed by the end user quite easily. No need to beware in this case, I've personally done it. The dealer wanted $100. I bought the fob and DIY'ed it for under $10.

Round Remote Transmitter Programming Instructions
1. Disarm the security system (if so equipped).
2. Open the driver's door and sit in the driver's seat.
3. Close the driver's door. 4. Place the ignition key in the ignition switch and cycle the switch from "LOCK" to "ON" ten times within 15 seconds. Be sure to stop at the "LOCK" position and leave the key in the ignition when you are done. The horn will sound once to indicate that you are in transmitter programming mode.
5. You must finish the next steps within 45 seconds of the horn honking.
1. Open the driver's door.
2. Close the driver's door.
3. Press and release any button on the transmitter. The horn will sound two times to indicate that the transmitter has been programmed.
6. After programming your remote, remove the key from the ignition switch. The horn will sound three times to indicate the system is now out of programming mode. Ensure your remotes work properly at this time

dunng
01-03-2011, 07:38 PM
I have three that you are welcome to... they are from an '03 Subaru Legacy. :tu

forgop
01-03-2011, 09:06 PM
Personally it sounds to me like they may not have wanted it to work so they could sell you one at full dealer markup. But I'm a little :tf. ;)

[/I]

Well, they sure came up on the short end as I didn't get charged for the shop time @ around $75/hour when they couldn't get it programmed. Plus they gave me free car washes out of it.