PDA

View Full Version : Those who've been to the Dominican Republic

lyle23
12-24-2010, 08:18 PM
I will be going there on the 6th of jan and staying in Punta cana. Soo, my questions to anyone that has been there:

1. Where can you get some good sticks CC and NC that are reasonably priced?

2. Anything or any place that would be somewhere to visit or check out?

3. Any places or areas that I should stay away from?

4. Any other suggestions about anything for my trip there?

Chingas
12-25-2010, 04:56 AM
Learn Spanish.

Bring Chingas back something cool!:tu

La Casa Del Habanos for CC's. Have to look up where the closest one is.

CoreyD
12-25-2010, 05:17 AM
From what I have read you have to watch out for fakes and overpriced NC'S more than what U.S. pays but that being said, the Dominican Republic is the birthplace of cigars from some of the world’s most popular brands. Among these are Arturo Fuente, La Aurora, Leon Jimenes, Cojimar, and Montecristo. For the true cigar lover, the Dominican Republic must be on the list of places to visit. A country that not only values the intricate details involved with cigar making, but also shares those details and experiences with the visiting public.

Chingas
12-25-2010, 05:31 AM
Corey. Is there a Casa Fuente on the DR? If there is, Lyle, you can grab some excellent very hard to find sticks there. Remember that Opus you smoked?

fissure
12-25-2010, 06:25 AM
Was in Punta Cana last march. Wonderful time, but take whatever you want to smoke. There is really no place to buy CC's that you can guarantee aren't fakes, and a lot of the NC's were shady too especially the fuentes. All the CC's I saw at the resort and in local shops were fakes. Only place I saw that had legit ones was a small cigar factory/store we took a tour at. http://donlucascigarsoriginal.com/ There cigars aren't bad and have gotten better in the year that they have been sitting in the humi.

etznova
12-25-2010, 11:20 AM
Was in Punta Cana last march. Wonderful time, but take whatever you want to smoke. There is really no place to buy CC's that you can guarantee aren't fakes, and a lot of the NC's were shady too especially the fuentes. All the CC's I saw at the resort and in local shops were fakes. Only place I saw that had legit ones was a small cigar factory/store we took a tour at. http://donlucascigarsoriginal.com/ There cigars aren't bad and have gotten better in the year that they have been sitting in the humi.

I agree when I when nt the resort was very overpriced they wanted 75 bucks for a la aurora perfecto

SSDVC
12-25-2010, 01:14 PM
I stayed at Punta Cana Excellence last Christmas and New Years. Nice place and, a tip, the most you should tip at any one time is $1.00, trust me.

As for cigars, yeah, bring your own. I went with nothing in the hopes of scoring big in the cigar capital of the world (outside of Cuba). I did not achive joy and went home empty handed. I also could afford only two cigars while I was down there (a Fuente double corona was $18 :sh)

First, ALL cigars sold in that country in ANY store outside of the factory are about 3 times the cost here in the states. And I didn't find any exceptions, trust me, I looked all over, even in the capital. Nothing, nada, zip ! And yes, be careful of fakes. They are rampant

And second, the main factories of the big boys are about 9 hours from you in the mountains and valleys of Santiago. There are only two ways to get there and neither of them are cheap, a helicopter or a taxi. I believe that if you do make it to the factory, you can get a fairly good deal on a few boxes.

Anyway, enjoy the trip. the weather should be great and the water is fantastic.

MrT
12-31-2010, 03:04 AM
People who have gone on 'factory tours' how does that normally work ?

Don Fernando
12-31-2010, 05:26 AM
Corey. Is there a Casa Fuente on the DR? If there is, Lyle, you can grab some excellent very hard to find sticks there. Remember that Opus you smoked?

There is only one Casa Fuente, and that one is in Vegas.

Tio Gato
12-31-2010, 06:03 AM
The majority of Dominican cigars are produced in "Free Trade Zones" that tourists are restricted from entering. You can't just swing by the factory to pick up a box.
Searching the internet I was able to find a few tour companies that claim to be able to arrange tours. I've no idea what they charge or if they are honest.

The others that have gone to the DR posting here offer some great advice. Bring your own.

Chingas
12-31-2010, 10:02 AM
There is only one Casa Fuente, and that one is in Vegas.

Damn Ferdie. Really? I was thinking the home land would have one for sure...Oh Well.

Sorry Lyle, looks like the boys know what they're saying. Bringing your own sounds like the only right thing to do. If you need to borrow a Travel Humi just let me know, I'll set you up.:tu

icehog3
12-31-2010, 10:04 AM
the Dominican Republic is the birthplace of cigars from some of the world’s most popular brands. Among these are Arturo Fuente, La Aurora, Leon Jimenes, Cojimar, and Montecristo.

Montecristo cigars were "born" in Cuba in 1935. ;)