PDA

View Full Version : Clara's Cuban Black Beans

Blueface
12-23-2010, 08:12 PM
I was asked about a Cuban Black Bean recipe and thought I would post here for all.
My wife makes the most killer Cuban Black Beans ever.

1 bag of Goya (or any brand if not available) black beans
1 Midsize Spanish Onion - diced
1 Bell Pepper - diced
2 Bay Leaves
3 Garlic Cloves - minced
2 Tablespoons of Cumin
1 and 1/2 Tablespoons of Oregano
1/2 Cup oil (Mazola)
4 Tablespoons Tomato Sauce
Salt to taste
Optional but totally recommended: 1/4 cup of White Spanish Cooking Wine

Wash beans and rinse. Put in pressure cooker with water, half way up. Cook for 20 minutes on medium flame.

In a separate small pot or pan, saute all ingredients, except Bay Leaves. Add to beans and add Bay Leaves also.

Cook for another 20 minutes or more (low flame) depending on consistency - not too watery and not too dry.

Serve as soup or over white rice.

Enjoy!

T.G
12-23-2010, 08:28 PM
Thanks Carlos, been looking for a good one for some time, keep forgetting to ask Marcelino for his recipe at the pig roasts.

Couple things I'd like to ask to ensure that we are on the same page...

Terminology can vary from region to region, so when you say Spanish onion, do you mean a slightly milder, sweeter yellow-ish onion (not quite a Vidalia) or do you just mean the typical "hotter" yellow onion found in the supermarket?

Mazola - do you mean the traditional corn oil of that name, or one of the more modern releases under that marque (vegetable oil, canola, etc)?

Thanks.

Chainsaw13
12-23-2010, 08:59 PM
To add to Adam's questions. When you say to cook for another 20mins after adding bay leaves and onion/pepper mixture, is that back in the pressure cooker? With the top off? I"m assuming top off if you're looking to develop the consistency by evaporating the liquid.

MarkinAZ
12-23-2010, 10:07 PM
Hey Carlos, tell your wife thank you, and thank you for posting this Cuban black bean recipe:tu

newcigarz
12-24-2010, 04:04 AM
I can personally attest that these beans are amazing!
Thanks for the recipe Clara!:tu

Blueface
12-24-2010, 07:20 AM
To add to Adam's questions. When you say to cook for another 20mins after adding bay leaves and onion/pepper mixture, is that back in the pressure cooker? With the top off? I"m assuming top off if you're looking to develop the consistency by evaporating the liquid.

Top on again, as when you first started.

IMPORTANT that I forgot to mention on original post.

DO NOT ADD SALT until the very end or it will affect the hardness of the beans.

Blueface
12-24-2010, 07:22 AM
Thanks Carlos, been looking for a good one for some time, keep forgetting to ask Marcelino for his recipe at the pig roasts.

Couple things I'd like to ask to ensure that we are on the same page...

Terminology can vary from region to region, so when you say Spanish onion, do you mean a slightly milder, sweeter yellow-ish onion (not quite a Vidalia) or do you just mean the typical "hotter" yellow onion found in the supermarket?

Mazola - do you mean the traditional corn oil of that name, or one of the more modern releases under that marque (vegetable oil, canola, etc)?

Thanks.

Spanish onion is the large common onion for us in supermarkets.

The oil is a vegetable oil and we normally use Mazola but any vegetable oil should do. Wesson as an example would be no different.

T.G
12-24-2010, 08:29 AM
Thanks Carlos, and please tell Carla thanks (and that it's her fault I have to go buy a pressure cooker now).

Mr.Maduro
12-24-2010, 09:18 AM

+1 :dr Yummy!!

T.G
12-24-2010, 09:21 AM
Thanks Carlos, and please tell Carla thanks (and that it's her fault I have to go buy a pressure cooker now).

Ooops.... Clara not Carla.

Sorry about that.

Blueface
12-24-2010, 10:40 AM

Adam,
You won't regret having it.
Will eventually give you her pork chunk recipe that she makes in it.

T.G
12-24-2010, 11:02 AM
Adam,
You won't regret having it.
Will eventually give you her pork chunk recipe that she makes in it.

:dr:dr:dr

STEVE S
12-24-2010, 11:27 AM

:tpd: :dr :dr

Blueface
12-25-2010, 02:16 PM
ONE LAST THING.

Lower the heat a bit for the second 20 minute period on the recipe.

gvarsity
12-25-2010, 11:11 PM
Love black beans and rice like this. It was a staple in school. It's been to long I need to make this again.

T.G
12-26-2010, 10:23 PM
So...

I tired Clara's recipe this afternoon, but had to adapt it for a saucepan . Mongo like.

PS: I just ordered a 6qt stainless pressure cooker. Damn you Carlos. Damn you bro. Thank you, but damn you.

jesseboston81
12-26-2010, 10:36 PM
Wow, this recipe looks amazing... can't wait to try it out!

T.G
12-29-2010, 05:54 PM
Carlos,

On the two cool downs, do you let the pressure cooker naturally drop in pressure after removing from the heat or drop it rapidly by using cold water?

Or does it even matter?

T.G
12-30-2010, 08:54 AM
Made a pressure cooker full of these last night (substituted a different white wine and used about half the amount of oil)

EXCELLENT!

Thanks Clara. Thanks Carlos.

Why didn't you tell me to buy a pressure cooker sooner?

tsolomon
12-30-2010, 09:30 AM
I had these beans and will tell you that they are the best I have ever had. :dr I will be getting a pressure cooker on the way home today and a thank you to both Clara and Carlos for the recipe.

Blueface
12-30-2010, 11:09 AM
Carlos,

On the two cool downs, do you let the pressure cooker naturally drop in pressure after removing from the heat or drop it rapidly by using cold water?

Or does it even matter?

Interesting question.
Not sure.
Will ask her.

Also, on second period of cooking down, leave pot open and reduce heat.
Cook that approximate time or until liquid consistency to thickness you like.
The less watery, the better.

Here is a Cuban's best kept secret......if you think they taste good on day one, go right ahead and enjoy it.
We prefer to wait until day two and three to really judge them.

We just had them last night from when she made them on the 24th. Man they were way better than on that first day.

T.G
12-30-2010, 09:59 PM
Interesting question.
Not sure.
Will ask her.

Also, on second period of cooking down, leave pot open and reduce heat.
Cook that approximate time or until liquid consistency to thickness you like.
The less watery, the better.

Here is a Cuban's best kept secret......if you think they taste good on day one, go right ahead and enjoy it.
We prefer to wait until day two and three to really judge them.

We just had them last night from when she made them on the 24th. Man they were way better than on that first day.

I used the rapid cool down (running water) yesterday, I figured do that and stop them from cooking for the extra 5-10 minutes of cooking that occurs otherwise as I could always throw the lid back on and cook them for a bit longer if necessary,

Just had them again tonight - excellent again.

But, you do have me confused on the lid on/off for the second part of the cook now....

Top on again, as when you first started.

I went with lid on, with the weight barely venting and ended up with a really watery end result, and since you mentioned "Serve as soup or over white rice" I figured, "ok, different style - rather than a heavy broth, these beans are in a light broth and you just use a slotted spoon or something for the "over rice" part.

Killer soupy beans. :tu

Blueface
12-31-2010, 06:35 AM
I used the rapid cool down (running water) yesterday, I figured do that and stop them from cooking for the extra 5-10 minutes of cooking that occurs otherwise as I could always throw the lid back on and cook them for a bit longer if necessary,

Just had them again tonight - excellent again.

But, you do have me confused on the lid on/off for the second part of the cook now....

I went with lid on, with the weight barely venting and ended up with a really watery end result, and since you mentioned "Serve as soup or over white rice" I figured, "ok, different style - rather than a heavy broth, these beans are in a light broth and you just use a slotted spoon or something for the "over rice" part.

Killer soupy beans. :tu

Adam,
It is so tough for me to describe the consistency she looks for.
However, that is up to taste I guess.
Some like runny beans, some like a thicker consistency.
In the end, the flavor will be the same, as long as the beans are cooked through.
When I see thicker, I mean that if you pas a fork through the mixture, and pick up beans with it, the liquid will run through the fork but will have some slight body to it, as opposed to just being colored water through a fork. You don't want it thick like oatmeal at all but you don't want water with dye. Hope that makes some sense.

For the cool down, to release the pressure and be able to open the lid, she puts it in the sink with cold water, until you see the pressure cap release all the way. If you have time, you can also just let it sit on the stove but the water is the best way to go. The second cooking period entails cooking them with the lid open, with no more pressure from the lid.

She also mentioned that sometimes, the beans may not cook right during the first cooking period when the lid is on. You should always test them to see if any are broken and if soft to touch. If so, you are OK. If hard, you need to put the lid back on and give them more time.

Enjoy.

T.G
12-31-2010, 08:29 AM
Adam,
It is so tough for me to describe the consistency she looks for.
However, that is up to taste I guess.
Some like runny beans, some like a thicker consistency.
In the end, the flavor will be the same, as long as the beans are cooked through.
When I see thicker, I mean that if you pas a fork through the mixture, and pick up beans with it, the liquid will run through the fork but will have some slight body to it, as opposed to just being colored water through a fork. You don't want it thick like oatmeal at all but you don't want water with dye. Hope that makes some sense.

For the cool down, to release the pressure and be able to open the lid, she puts it in the sink with cold water, until you see the pressure cap release all the way. If you have time, you can also just let it sit on the stove but the water is the best way to go. The second cooking period entails cooking them with the lid open, with no more pressure from the lid.

She also mentioned that sometimes, the beans may not cook right during the first cooking period when the lid is on. You should always test them to see if any are broken and if soft to touch. If so, you are OK. If hard, you need to put the lid back on and give them more time.

Enjoy.

Thanks for clarifying Carlos.

Your description of the consistency makes perfect sense, in fact, that's about what I would aim for in the past when cooking the beans in a pot/saucepan. My experience with a pressure cooker is zip, so I'm still figuring this thing out.

The funny thing is, as a soup, I kind of like them this way with rice added. I'd have to refine and tweak a few things once I better understand the cooker, but all in all, they're still quite good, and like you said, the flavor is all about the same.