PDA

View Full Version : Best way to buy cigars?

jesseboston81
12-23-2010, 01:07 PM
Bear with me, this question isn't as dumb as the thread title makes it sound! :D

How do you guys find the best deal for the smokes you're looking for? I've got some particular brands and names that I really like and would like to buy more of and sample, but there are so many options I want to make sure I'm getting the best deal I can. There are the standard online sites (CI, Holts, Atlantic, etc., each with discounts and specials and deals of their own), the auction/offer sites (cbid, Make An Offer, etc.), the daily/hourly/timely deals sites (Joe Cigar, Cigarmonster, etc.), and that doesn't even include the B&Ms that are within a reasonable distance from me! I just want to buy some of my favorites and sample some new smokes--what do I do? :sh

AlohaStyle
12-23-2010, 01:18 PM
Only you know this answer as you know what you are looking for. Judging by your post, you know of the online options, so just do the work and look up the prices on those sites... No trick, just do the work as prices and deals can change all the time.

DropTheE
12-23-2010, 01:19 PM
It's really a combination of all of that to get what you are looking for. My checkbook feels that there is always a sale or clearance that I should take advantage of, usually a couple of places a day. Good thing that Checkbook does not control my decision making process most of the time.
It is a matter of timing, opportunity, dumb luck. Being at the right place at the right time. For instance, I got the new Famous Smoke catalog and wouldn't you know it, great deals that I just can't pass up.
Of course as soon as I buy them, wouldn't you know it but another site has them for a buck or two less. If you worry about getting the lowest price all the time, you will drive yourself bonkers. If you find a good deal, take advantage of it and hopefully you will be happy with your decision.

If you have particular sticks you are looking for, you can go to the cigars at your price website and search them out. They usually have some decent deals on single sticks. After a while your will start knowing what is and what isn't a good deal. Sometimes the discount really isn't a discount...I find that from time to time. You will get a feel for what the brands are going for on a regular basis after spending countless hours at each site!!!

Have fun!!!

CoreyD
12-23-2010, 01:19 PM
each time I walk into the B&M i buy 1-5 new sticks I have yet tried then I also pick up a 5er or so here an there from other previous marked spots. I myself know its gonna be awhile for me to taste all in fact I already have some that I would rather smoke than try something new because I really like it but if you already know you want your favorites and try some new ones then do just that and pay accordingly.

T.G
12-23-2010, 01:20 PM
Uh, google?

Although a legend once told me that B&M cigars are better than internet cigars.

Whynot
12-23-2010, 02:10 PM
My only real options are the internet ones. I use all of them.

Ogre
12-23-2010, 02:13 PM
http://www.cigarcyclopedia.com/

This site has a comparison shopper list. Great idea what prices are from a number is sites.

hotreds
12-23-2010, 02:15 PM
Like grocery stores, you can spend hours trying to save a few bucks. I use my favs- I have about half a dozen of them, and usually in response to an email or catalog. Pick your favs and stick to them-- otherwise you'll go crazy if you try to price compare every cigar with 100 or so internet retailers-- to say nothing of driving to B&Ms in your area. I know there is a thread here that lists a whole slew of internet retailers- a good start.

longknocker
12-23-2010, 02:15 PM
www.cigarsatyourprice.com Ordered Several Times. Great Prices & Customer Service.:tu

Bill86
12-23-2010, 02:18 PM
www.cigarsatyourprice.com Ordered Several Times. Great Prices & Customer Service.:tu

/thread

That site is too good, one can drop some serious coin there.

kelmac07
12-23-2010, 02:19 PM

X2 :tu :tu

chippewastud79
12-23-2010, 02:25 PM
The Party Source (http://www.thepartysource.com), they have some of the best prices top to bottom of anyone I have found and stand up customer service.

Cattani
12-23-2010, 06:56 PM
^This^

That place is right by my house, and I have found WAY better deals there than online lately. (Illusione and Tat specifically)

druturn
12-23-2010, 07:20 PM

That's what I hear too! ;)

Col. Kurtz
12-23-2010, 07:32 PM
Uh, google?

Yes, but he was just an internet legend.

guitar4001
12-24-2010, 08:54 AM
i buy about 60% online and 40% B&M. I usually go to CI for online purchases, often by the box or 5 pack, and I buy singles at the local B&M.

shilala
12-24-2010, 09:24 AM
I always kept a list and watched the For Sale/Want to Buy board here. I could always be sure I got the very best cigars at very good prices. I don't buy much odd stuff now, but if I was going to, I'd put up a post or just keep watching the board till the cigars I want come along.
Granted, that method requires a bit of patience, but it helps out other brothers, and I could generally work out a trade every now and again. That helps the wallet.

If that doesn't work out, I start shopping. I always find the best deals at small shops. If that doesn't work, I go right to Jack Schwartz. :tu

T.G
12-24-2010, 09:25 AM

Indeed. Thankfully, he tapedout...

pnoon
12-24-2010, 10:44 AM

A legend in his own mind.

bobarian
12-24-2010, 10:57 AM

This site has a comparison shopper list. Great idea what prices are from a number is sites.

This is a great site with a lot of information. You can get an idea of pricing from most of the major sites and then shop the smaller places like Party Source. But remember, although price is important, so is service. :tu

Chemyst
12-24-2010, 08:47 PM
Since I know what I like, I only buy when they're at deep
discounts, and I buy twice what I need.

I get very good deals from BOTLs on this board, and other
boards. I also check several daily sites on a daily basis,
get email specials from retailers I've patronized b4, etc.
Once in a while a BOTL will email/pm a deal that he knows
I'll like. Occasionally, even a catalog will have an xlnt deal.

A few months ago I was able to get Oliva MB3 for 48% off
of a regularly discounted retail price. That had to be close
to wholesale cost, and I bought double quantity. It sold out!

It takes some work and patience, but you can get xlnt deals
on some higher end sticks.

No, I don't smoke a box per week, either. That also makes
this hobby more affordable, and high end sticks easier to
budget.

Chemyst :cool2:

Bubba - NJ
12-25-2010, 03:09 AM
I buy local and on the net . Singles are bought locally and occasionally even a box . Most of my boxes and sampler packs come from Cbid , Cigars International and Famous smokes . Make sure to support your local tobacconist if you have any .

nick2021
12-25-2010, 04:00 PM
I like to do my research on certain items...if there's a great deal online I will usually buy it there. However, I have a club membership with my local B&M...there prices are about the same as online stores. The club discount pretty much takes care of the taxes, and gas doesn't cost me a whole lot from my house to the B&M...so usually I'll buy it there especially since I will be able to take them home the same day and get them for about the same price as most major online retailers. Not to mention, I start to accumulate points for big discounts towards other purchases :tu

guitar4001
12-26-2010, 09:42 AM
I like to do my research on certain items...if there's a great deal online I will usually buy it there. However, I have a club membership with my local B&M...there prices are about the same as online stores. The club discount pretty much takes care of the taxes, and gas doesn't cost me a whole lot from my house to the B&M...so usually I'll buy it there especially since I will be able to take them home the same day and get them for about the same price as most major online retailers. Not to mention, I start to accumulate points for big discounts towards other purchases :tu

yep...research is essential!

Silound
12-26-2010, 08:38 PM
About all I buy online these days are chocolates, and even that came to an end with recent events. :) Occasionally if it's difficult to find locally for a reasonable price, I'll buy online or here from a BOTL.

That being alluded to, I spend my dime at the local B&M. The prices aren't anywhere near competitive even with the major discount I get, but I like the place and the owner. And in the end, I always get my money's worth.

alley00p
12-26-2010, 09:02 PM

This is a great site with a lot of information. You can get an idea of pricing from most of the major sites and then shop the smaller places like Party Source. But remember, although price is important, so is service. :tu

I've used this pricing list quite a few times, when looking for prices on a particular brand. I gives you a really good idea of online price ranges.

If you have any shops nearby that have events, try to attend an event. At almost every event they have a great deal with at least 20 - 30% off the regular prices. I'm fortunate that we have a number of local shops that have events every month for different brands. I've been able to pick up a lot of great deals, along with super dealer swag: (cutters, t-shirts, hats, ashtrays, humidors, etc.). :D YMMV

:dance: