PDA

View Full Version : Pork Roll?

LostAbbott
12-23-2010, 12:32 PM
What are these pork rolls I keep seeing? Is it good? What is in it? Is it just fancy spam? Can I find some on the west coast or is it just a midwest, east coast deal?

Chainsaw13
12-23-2010, 12:39 PM
AFAIK, it's east coast. Never seen one here in the enchanted mitten.

AD720
12-23-2010, 12:41 PM
Yes please. :D

Kaiser roll, fried egg and cheese.

Chainsaw13
12-23-2010, 12:41 PM

Great, now I'm hungry. :dr

LostAbbott
12-23-2010, 01:03 PM
pork roll mc sandwich eh?

68TriShield
12-23-2010, 01:09 PM
http://www.jerseyporkroll.com/what.htm

Coach Deg
12-23-2010, 01:11 PM

Don't forget Snkbyt BBQ sauce!!!!!!!!

kelmac07
12-23-2010, 01:36 PM
I'll take two thank you. :dr :dr

RevSmoke
12-23-2010, 01:44 PM
They go great with Wisconsin cheese.

G G
12-23-2010, 01:48 PM
They go great with Wisconsin cheese.
They do, I know.:noon

LostAbbott
12-23-2010, 02:26 PM
I already got the cheese just need to figure out how to get some pork... <G> thanks to the Rev!

thebayratt
12-23-2010, 02:32 PM
Looks good...

All we have down south is bacon.... lol

VirtualSmitty
12-23-2010, 03:00 PM
Taylor Ham is a Jersey thing ;)

Smokin Gator
12-23-2010, 03:03 PM
Damn Chingas has me addicted to the stuff. I have a Jersey breakfast sandwich nearly every Saturday morning!! My favorite version is a New York Everything bagel, two slices of American cheese, a scrambled egg, and of course a nice thick slice of pan fried pork roll.

BigAsh
12-23-2010, 03:14 PM
Damn Chingas has me addicted to the stuff. I have a Jersey breakfast sandwich nearly every Saturday morning!! My favorite version is a New York Everything bagel, two slices of American cheese, a scrambled egg, and of course a nice thick slice of pan fried pork roll.

Ummmmm....try an over lite egg....something about runny yolk and pork roll....man that's good eats!!

Chingas
12-24-2010, 06:17 AM
Taylor Ham is a Jersey thing ;)

Mmmmmmmmmmm. Pork Roll! Sorry Brent. ;s

Abbott - It's time that addy comes my way...I can see the Pigs Flying Already!

replicant_argent
12-24-2010, 07:26 AM
for some reason I was just salivating... I wonder why.

I am a die-hard Spam-head, however.

cobra03
12-24-2010, 08:40 AM
The WaWa's around Richmond made these once upon a time and they were fantastic i got one every chance i could :dr

LostAbbott
12-24-2010, 10:05 AM
No no Chingas that is not necessary, I was just wondering what they were. Thanks for the offer though. :)

Chingas
12-24-2010, 02:01 PM
No no Chingas that is not necessary, I was just wondering what they were. Thanks for the offer though. :)

You truly don't KNOW until you try.

Addy please.................................

LostAbbott
12-24-2010, 02:04 PM
All right, All right... I have been here long enough to know that I should not push you around. PM inbound.

Chingas
12-24-2010, 02:05 PM
All right, All right... I have been here long enough to know that I should not push you around. PM inbound.

Thattaboy!:tu

OLS
12-27-2010, 07:23 AM
We had that when I was a kid in LA...it was called Luncheon Meat, haha. Bit's and pieces, parts is parts.

VirtualSmitty
12-27-2010, 10:13 AM
We had that when I was a kid in LA...it was called Luncheon Meat, haha. Bit's and pieces, parts is parts.

It's not the same. Taylor Ham is it's own thing, it's all pork not bits and pieces. I don't think you can even get it on the west coast, let alone when you were in middle school :r

Blueface
12-27-2010, 10:21 AM
It's not the same. Taylor Ham is it's own thing, it's all pork not bits and pieces. I don't think you can even get it on the west coast, let alone when you were in middle school :r

Joe,
First thing is first here.
I think the title to this thread and the conversation from here on in should not be about "pork roll".
Not a soul I knew would ever, ever refer to it or order "pork roll".
There is one name and one name alone when ordering this product.

You referred to it by the brand name that made it..................Taylor Ham.

Nothing beat a Taylor Ham, Egg and Cheese sandwich on a Kaiser at 3 in the morning at a Jersey diner.

VirtualSmitty
12-27-2010, 10:40 AM
Joe,
First thing is first here.
I think the title to this thread and the conversation from here on in should not be about "pork roll".
Not a soul I knew would ever, ever refer to it or order "pork roll".
There is one name and one name alone when ordering this product.

You referred to it by the brand name that made it..................Taylor Ham.

Nothing beat a Taylor Ham, Egg and Cheese sandwich on a Kaiser at 3 in the morning at a Jersey diner.

It's funny Carlos, but depending where you lived in Jersey it goes by different names. I always knew it as Taylor Ham, nobody in this area ever calls it pork roll. But go south a little to central jersey and you'll find Taylor Pork Roll, and head to south jersey and it's just pork roll. Did some research on this back in the CS days with some of the other Jersey guys, and it's because of distribution that we got these differences in names. Different brands had different names to avoid copyright issues, but Taylor Ham is actually the oldest name for it. Come to North Jersey and ask for pork roll and people will look at you funny :r

Blueface
12-27-2010, 10:55 AM
Come to North Jersey and ask for pork roll and people will look at you funny :r

Being raised, having gone to grade school, HS and College in Nork, Taylor Ham is the only way I knew how to order this.

We had a great mom and pop luncheonette called Foti's near my HS and we use to hang there two to three days a week for their Taylor Ham, Egg and Cheese sandwich on a half Pizza Roll (there is another conversation piece that most outside of Jersey's Italian communities won't know).

I still long for them so good thing they carry it at my local supermarket.
Wife and I make them every other week or so for breakfast, on weekends. Just can't get the pizza bread.
When I first moved to Florida in '96, they didn't have it and had no clue what I was looking for when I asked.

yourchoice
12-27-2010, 11:05 AM
Down in South Jersey/Philly area, it's only called Pork Roll. That and damn good! I remember the old CS thread too.
Posted via Mobile Device

Blueface
12-27-2010, 11:11 AM
Down in South Jersey/Philly area, it's only called Pork Roll. That and damn good! I remember the old CS thread too.
Posted via Mobile Device

Those of us from the "Nork" or N. Jersey area don't even consider the part you are referring to as part of Jersey.:r

yourchoice
12-27-2010, 12:03 PM
Those of us from the "Nork" or N. Jersey area don't even consider the part you are referring to as part of Jersey.:r

Funny...we feel the same way about "yous guys". :D :r

ATobin
01-03-2011, 02:26 PM

It's definitely pork roll. Now go get a haircut and find your own beach!

j/k

VirtualSmitty
01-03-2011, 04:56 PM
It's definitely pork roll. Now go get a haircut and find your own beach!

j/k

It's Taylor Ham, get back to your farm! :D

j/k :r

Chingas
01-03-2011, 08:16 PM
Ahh. The age old battle between "what" to call it. When I was a kid I thought they were different being that I heard both names so frequently.

Taylor Ham, Egg and Cheese

Pork Roll, Egg and Cheese

They both sound great and taste amazing...:banger

Tredegar
01-12-2011, 11:19 PM
Here in Louisiana we use smoked pork jowls. Better than any bacon. I just used some in a 15 bean soup yesterday.

MedicCook
01-12-2011, 11:43 PM
Pork Roll. Mmmmmmm

Chingas
01-12-2011, 11:46 PM
Pork Roll. Mmmmmmm

You can say that again!:banger:banger

MedicCook
01-12-2011, 11:47 PM
Add some of Alex's bbq sauce. :tu

Chingas
01-12-2011, 11:49 PM
I like to slice em thick. Cut em like the iron cross. Cook em up on the griddle but only so they are warm/hot, not burnt. Then cook eggs using the grease and fat left over from the pork roll. Holy Crap that sounds good as hell right now!

MedicCook
01-12-2011, 11:52 PM
I like to slice em thick. Cut em like the iron cross. Cook em up on the griddle but only so they are warm/hot, not burnt. Then cook eggs using the grease and fat left over from the pork roll. Holy Crap that sounds good as hell right now!

Now I am getting hungry.

Chingas
01-12-2011, 11:52 PM
Now I am getting hungry.

;s Me too and I'm on a diet. No Good.:td

MedicCook
01-12-2011, 11:53 PM
I want to go on the pork roll diet.

maninblack
01-13-2011, 11:19 AM
I can't wait to try mine out! Gonna be tasty!

Chingas
01-13-2011, 09:40 PM
I can't wait to try mine out! Gonna be tasty!

:r:r:r Enjoy it Brother!:tu

whodeeni
01-14-2011, 01:19 PM
Enjoy it Brother!:tu

Chingas.... how about we do a Meat & Sticks Trade?
You send me a Pork Roll & some Ramon's... and i'll hook
you up with something you can only find here in the deep
south!:tu (And some sticks of course!)

Come to think of it, i have just the thing in Mind!:r:banger

maninblack
01-14-2011, 02:04 PM
Had a pork roll, egg, and cheese sandwich for lunch. Pretty damn good!

McSmokey
01-14-2011, 02:44 PM
I believe I'm gonna have to order one of these it looks to good to pass up

shvictor
01-14-2011, 05:06 PM
We dont have anything good like this in Cali

Wharf Rat
01-14-2011, 06:30 PM

Moon Pies?

VirtualSmitty
01-15-2011, 07:25 AM
Moon Pies?

We have Moon Pies in Jersey. Thanks to Wal-Mart and 7-11.

And it's Taylor Ham guys, c'mon, get it right ;):tu:r

Wharf Rat
01-15-2011, 10:53 AM
We have Moon Pies in Jersey. Thanks to Wal-Mart and 7-11.

And it's Taylor Ham guys, c'mon, get it right ;):tu:r

I think, in Southern Jersey, Trenton, its called Pork Roll, which is also what's on the package. In northern parts of Jersey, it referred to as ham.

I grew up in Clifton, so it's ham to me.

I can't believe it. Over Christmas, I bought 3 rolls in Florida and then, left them in my Mom's refrigerator.

Next year...

pektel
01-15-2011, 10:59 AM
I think, in Southern Jersey, Trenton, its called Pork Roll, which is also what's on the package. In northern parts of Jersey, it referred to as ham.

I grew up in Clifton, so it's ham to me.

I can't believe it. Over Christmas, I bought 3 rolls in Florida and then, left them in my Mom's refrigerator.

Next year...

I'm thinking it probably will be bad by next year. ;)

Chingas
01-17-2011, 06:30 AM

I haven't forgotten you X. :tu