PDA

View Full Version : Cigar Smell

dwoodward
12-23-2010, 07:18 AM
This is just a general observation on my part.

The worse a cigar smells, the better it tastes. As in, if I can smell cows, pigs, and poop on my cigar before lighting it, it will usually taste amazing. If I smell a leafy smell, it usually just tastes like smoke. (I like maduros btw, if that makes a difference)

Am I weird? :r :sh

wayner123
12-23-2010, 07:20 AM
You obviously haven't smelled many Gurkha's. They taste as worse as they smell.

Devanmc
12-23-2010, 07:21 AM
please go get help befor you brain implodes and you kill everyone.... its coming soon...be warned....

on a realistic side, your right it seems. The "funny" smelling" ones taste amazing with you smoke them

shilala
12-23-2010, 07:37 AM
Barnyard usually means wet. I like my maduros same as you, and that's normally a good indicator I'll like a cigar. Trouble is, when I smoke them wet, a lot of ammonia comes along with it and just plain ruins the flavors of the cigar on retrohale. All I get is burned out noseholes.
So I set them down at 60% for about 8 months. At that point, the barnyard tones down a ton, and the chocolate, sweet, spicy, full delicious flavors come out.
Here's a tip...
If you like that barnyardy wet smell, order any Oliva maduro from the online vendors. They always come super wet and fresh. Special G maduros, G maduros, and especially O maduros will totally rock your world. The longer you keep them, the better they'll get, too. :tu

kenstogie
12-23-2010, 07:39 AM
This can be true for sure. I love a good maduro but then I love a good nat too. For me a good cigar is a good cigar can be any number of kinds.

Ogre
12-23-2010, 07:52 AM
Barnyard usually means wet. I like my maduros same as you, and that's normally a good indicator I'll like a cigar. Trouble is, when I smoke them wet, a lot of ammonia comes along with it and just plain ruins the flavors of the cigar on retrohale. All I get is burned out noseholes.
So I set them down at 60% for about 8 months. At that point, the barnyard tones down a ton, and the chocolate, sweet, spicy, full delicious flavors come out.
Here's a tip...
If you like that barnyardy wet smell, order any Oliva maduro from the online vendors. They always come super wet and fresh. Special G maduros, G maduros, and especially O maduros will totally rock your world. The longer you keep them, the better they'll get, too. :tu

:tpd: 100%

tobii3
12-23-2010, 07:55 AM
The worse a cigar smells, the better it tastes.

Someone needs to bomb him with a Gorilla Finger.

:=:

Mugen910
12-23-2010, 07:57 AM

The worse a cigar smells, the better it tastes. As in, if I can smell cows, pigs, and poop on my cigar before lighting it, it will usually taste amazing. If I smell a leafy smell, it usually just tastes like smoke. (I like maduros btw, if that makes a difference)

Am I weird?

:r:r:r:r

kelmac07
12-23-2010, 08:01 AM
Did someone say maduro? :dr :dr :dr

rizzle
12-23-2010, 09:14 AM
Did someone say maduro? :dr :dr :dr
Nah, Mac...cows, pigs, and poop was what I heard. :banger

jmsremax
12-23-2010, 09:38 AM
You obviously haven't smelled many Gurkha's. They taste as worse as they smell.

That about sums it up....The first time I smelled one I was like damn that smells like horse sh!t and then I took two puffs and realized that it tasted like smokey horse sh!t. I have yet to look back :r

longknocker
12-23-2010, 09:52 AM
Here's a tip...

So True!:tu

staminator
12-23-2010, 10:13 AM
Maduro is my favorite. :dr Yes, though it seems the smelly ones (also the ones that non-cigar smokers find offensive - but who cares) have the best taste.

688sonarmen
12-23-2010, 10:25 AM

He called the sh*t poop:r

Doctorossi
12-23-2010, 10:40 AM
He called the sh*t poop:r

I thought that was plume? :D

On the serious tip, I agree with the OP sometimes. However, I have some cigars that smell like melted dark chocolate when cold and a basket of spring flowers when lit and taste f%^#ing spectacular, too!

688sonarmen
12-23-2010, 10:48 AM
Possible that this has to do with a natural fertilizer vs a synthetic one?

pnoon
12-23-2010, 10:54 AM
Or more likely that is entirely random.
There are only 4 possible outcomes.
like smell, like cigar
hate smell, like cigar
like smell, hate cigar
hate smell, hate cigar
Posted via Mobile Device

Black Label
12-23-2010, 11:00 AM
Yes indeed, the stinkier the better for me and my maduros. When I go to work and someone tells me I stink, I just smile and say thank you. Then I know I have had a great smoke!

T.G
12-23-2010, 11:18 AM
Or more likely that is entirely random.
There are only 4 possible outcomes.
like smell, like cigar
hate smell, like cigar
like smell, hate cigar
hate smell, hate cigar
Posted via Mobile Device

:tpd:

With the exception of some cigars damaged by improper storage, I can't say that I've ever found pre-light aroma to be definitively indicative of an enjoyable cigar. I've smelled many dog rockets with wonderful pre-light aromas, and many good cigars that were just "meh" before lighting.

Unless I'm trying to figure out what tobaccos are in a cigar, I don't even smell them anymore.

guitar4001
12-23-2010, 11:28 AM

hm.

Doctorossi
12-23-2010, 11:54 AM
hm.

kaisersozei
12-23-2010, 12:10 PM

With the exception of some cigars damaged by improper storage, I can't say that I've ever found pre-light aroma to be definitively indicative of an enjoyable cigar. I've smelled many dog rockets with wonderful pre-light aromas, and many good cigars that were just "meh" before lighting.

Unless I'm trying to figure out what tobaccos are in a cigar, I don't even smell them anymore.

+1, and +1 for Peter's quote