PDA

View Full Version : Engagement Rings??

kenstogie
12-22-2010, 09:34 AM
I believe that I may be purchasing an engagement ring in the future ( 6 months or soo) but where to get it?

I have been to a couple of Jewelers and maybe I need to earn more or maybe they are overpriced too.

Are there reputable online options maybe? Not that I want to be "cheap" of all times now is not the time to be frugal, but I do want to get the best possible ring I could afford. :)

massphatness
12-22-2010, 09:37 AM
I'll tell you where NOT get it: Zales.

OnlyDryReds
12-22-2010, 09:39 AM
One thing to keep in mind, as I know from exp this last year, make sure you can get a wedding band to match, or match close, we were eng. a cpl of years, and when we went to get bands, we had a tough time getting one to match her eng. ring..... ( BTW I bought mine from Gordon's Jewlers, and they sometimes have decent sales on clearance items on line, as I have purchased there before. )

MiamiE
Zales is not good! Check Blue Nile to piece the ring together.

Blueface
I believe that I may be purchasing an engagement ring in the future ( 6 months or soo) but where to get it?

I have been to a couple of Jewelers and maybe I need to earn more or maybe they are overpriced too.

Are there reputable online options maybe? Not that I want to be "cheap" of all times now is not the time to be frugal, but I do want to get the best possible ring I could afford. :)

Buying diamonds is a tough experience as you can be so easily taken.

Only thing I will offer is make sure you compare apples to apples.
Price based on four C's.
Carat
Clarity
Cut
Color

Make sure all are comparable for price comparison.

The more the carat, the more the cost.
The better the clarity, as you get less imperfections, which all diamonds will have, the more the cost.
The closer you get to the beginning of the alphabet in color, the more it will cost. The closer you head to the end, the cheaper.
Lastly, some cuts are clearly more money due to difficulty in achieving it.

One last tip that most don't know about diamonds v. cubic zirconia fakes.
If you draw a line on a piece of paper and place the diamond on the line, a true diamond will not let you make out the line due to the refractions within.
A diamond zirconia will let you see the line clearly.

Good luck and remember, after the engagement ring, comes the wedding ring, then the suffering.;s

forgop
Do not buy from any chain store at a mall.

mosesbotbol
12-22-2010, 09:42 AM
Is she stuck on a diamond? Many women are not. Sapphires are a great alternate and not a “compromise” stone either; just different. You can get a lot more bling and still have an heirloom piece for an affordable price. Sapphire also has history in being an engagement ring.

There are some respected web dealers like Blue Nile and I am sure several others worldwide. Belgium and Israel is full diamond venders at competitive prices.

landhoney
12-22-2010, 09:44 AM
Do not buy from any chain store at a mall.

What about Tiffany's? :D

Seriously though, wife wanted Tiffany's (they have a style/setting she liked that was pretty unique) so that is what she got, and it was in a mall. :tu

Short of that, I would have gone with Blue Nile, no personal experience as I have only had to make this giant purchase once, but others I know have used them and were happy.

kaisersozei
12-22-2010, 09:45 AM
The second time around ;) I went local. Great small jeweler, came highly recommended by a few friends in the area. Probably paid "retail" for it, but I've been happy with it for the past 8 years. They clean and inspect the ring every year for free, too.

I suppose you could pick out a stone on-line and have it set, but for the money you'll be spending (I assume) I'd think you'd want to actually see what you were getting before you put down the cash.

Good luck!

MiamiE
12-22-2010, 09:45 AM
I am happy Seth. :D

AD720
12-22-2010, 09:47 AM
I will agree with the above, you will pay a little more for a ring from a local Jeweler but the piece of mind will be worth it.

We had my wife's engagement ring made from a ring that belonged to her grandmother, the Jeweler used that stone and also melted down a ring that belonged to my grandmother and combined it all together in a new setting. It's really special for us, a combining of our families...I'm rambling...really my point is don't discount the value of having something made by a true artisan that is special for you over saving a couple hundred bucks and getting some mass-produced off the shelf ring from the mall.

I also wanted to add that the ring immediately appraised for more than we paid to have it done so it was well worth it.

Eleven
12-22-2010, 09:48 AM
I make jewelry for a living. The only retail chain I would recommend is Helzberg.

Feel free to PM me with any questions, I will help as much as I can, up to and including making custom rings for you and your bride.

Congratulations on your upcoming engagement!

Mugen910
12-22-2010, 09:48 AM
I'll tell you where NOT get it: Zales.

:tpd:

If you have a Barmakian's near you, go for it.

mosesbotbol
12-22-2010, 09:51 AM

Seriously though, wife wanted Tiffany's (they have a style/setting she liked that was pretty unique) so that is what she got, and it was in a mall. :tu

Tiffany's does have products at different price points and is a noted jeweler. The most heirloom bang for the buck in jewelry is with note Jewelers like Tiffany, Cartier, Van Cleef, Chopard...

We are looking at a Wellendorf wedding band set instead of engagement ring and wedding bands... Just get a wedding band set and leave at that.

http://www.cadorojewelers.com/images/photos/fr_wellendorff.jpg
We also like the Chrome Hearts wedding band set, but there's something about Wellendorf is so cool.

chippewastud79
12-22-2010, 09:56 AM
Find the Rapaport online, it will give you the best idea of what a diamond should cost. It is the industry standard for pricing and updates quarterly I believe. It isn't meant to be public, but there are certain sites out there who will have a copy, even if it is an old one.

Personally, I buy diamonds from a distributor, above a 'wholesaler', 'dealer' or individual store. Diamonds, like any item go up in price the further they travel. The best bet is finding a distributor who gets the diamonds straight from New York (point of entry for all diamonds). You will likely have to pay in cash or in full before you can take the finished product.

Avoid online jewelers like Blue Nile. They loosely group their diamonds into far more broad ranges than a jeweler would. They buy diamonds in bulk that are all 'similar' to the type that they are selling, they could be anywhere from 2-4 steps off of what you think you are buying. You could end up paying $1000 for a diamond that was supposed to be a certain weight, color and clarity but they send you a diamond that was close enough to the untrainned eye but ends up being worth $800 when appraised.

Know what you are looking at, learn the 4 C's before you go, this will also help with the Rapaport. Personally, buying a loose diamond and having it set is far more personal than buying a completed ring that anyone can buy. Always ask to use the jewelers magnifier to examine the diamond yourself. A good jeweler will point out the flaws in the diamond under the glass for you, this is so you can realize why the diamond was rated the way it was.

For metals, if you are going with a white/silver colored metal, I would recomend paladium over platinum and white gold. Paladium is a precious metal that is slightly more expensive than white gold but far less than platinum. White gold is essentially bleached gold and will yellow over time and need to be redone to return to its 'white' color. Platinum is far more expensive but also far more labor intensive, it scratches far too easy and muct be buffed out periodically. Paladium is brighter, more scratch reistant and whiter than both the other two. For the price, I don't think you can beat the look.

Have an idea what type of ring she would like: solitare vs. three stone, plain band vs. design, square cut vs. round cut, etc. If you have a basic idea, you should be able to customize a ring that she will love.

Best of luck with the search. :tu

mosesbotbol
12-22-2010, 09:59 AM
For metals, if you are going with a white/silver colored metal, I would recomend paladium over platinum and white gold. Paladium is a precious metal that is slightly more expensive than white gold but far less than platinum.

Paladium is really cool. Good tip!

awsmith4
12-22-2010, 09:59 AM
While there are many "better" jewelers, I went to Jared and when I got the ring I also got there extended service plan which has proved really useful as they routinely clean her ring and check the setting to make sure it is sturdy. The one I bought is white gold so they also add more rhodium any time it starts to yellow. The purchase was 8 years ago and the service is still as good as it was when we first purchased.

kaisersozei
12-22-2010, 10:02 AM
While there are many "better" jewelers, I went to Jared and when I got the ring I also got there extended service plan which has proved really useful as they routinely clean her ring and check the setting to make sure it is sturdy. The one I bought is white gold so they also add more rhodium any time it starts to yellow. The purchase was 8 years ago and the service is still as good as it was when we first purchased.

He went to Jared!

awsmith4
12-22-2010, 10:03 AM
He went to Jared!

I laugh at that commercial, it wasn't their slogan when I went, but yes "I went to Jared"

MedicCook
12-22-2010, 10:20 AM
Ken, I thought you learned your lesson. :r

Bunker
12-22-2010, 10:29 AM
Is she stuck on a diamond? Many women are not. Sapphires are a great alternate and not a “compromise” stone either; just different. You can get a lot more bling and still have an heirloom piece for an affordable price. Sapphire also has history in being an engagement ring.

There are some respected web dealers like Blue Nile and I am sure several others worldwide. Belgium and Israel is full diamond venders at competitive prices.

That's what I did, I looked at the solitaire I could afford next to a Sapphire/Diamond combination (think Princess Diana but smaller) and went with the sapphire.

She loved it.

I also can't say enough about the Customer Service at Longs jewelers in Burlington, MA.

At the time she was living out of state and the stone's setting got loose.

The paid to overnight each way to have it fixed and threw in a $250 gift card for our troubles which we used towards wedding bands 6 months later.

forgop
12-22-2010, 10:31 AM
Just go get tats on your right fingers.

Blueface
12-22-2010, 11:10 AM

Short of that, I would have gone with Blue Nile, no personal experience as I have only had to make this giant purchase once, but others I know have used them and were happy.

After Tiffany's, my wife wouldn't mind passing by Bvlgari either.

BFallehy
12-22-2010, 12:03 PM
Great thread, I am also in the market for a ring so I will be checking out all the suggestions. Thanks :tu

mosesbotbol
12-22-2010, 12:06 PM
After Tiffany's, my wife wouldn't mind passing by Bvlgari either.

You and me both, throw in Harry Winston and Ferregamo scarf...

Salvelinus
12-22-2010, 12:50 PM
I purchased one about this time last year. I only went to local jewelers. I found it really annoying that most of the places didn't want to offer much service wise once I told them I wasn't interested in the $6-10G rings they were showing me. I managed to find someone who would sit down and explain things to me, and then show me rings in the price range I was looking for.

The best advice he offered was to spend money on the diamond, and save on the ring itself. I went with a bigger stone with a simpler setting and she loved it. This worked for me because I won't be offended if at some point later on she wants to pull the stone out and put it in a nicer setting, that might not fly with you, but it is fine with me.

Good luck and congrats!

PeteSB75
12-22-2010, 01:37 PM
I bought about a year and a half ago. I have the advantage of working in midtown Manhattan, so just took a walk down to the diamond district on 47th St, going to a jeweler that several friends at work recommended. Between the price I got on the stone and what I paid for the setting, I saved quite a bit of money(probably 20% less) off what the same ring would have cost me at blue nile.

If you are going for a diamond, do yourself and your future wife a favor and buy the best color you can afford, you can sacrifice a bit in clarity and just get the size/cut you want to pay for, but don't sacrifice color. if you haven't already, ask your girlfriend what cut stone she wants. If it's a pear or other less-in-demand cut, you can get a larger stone for the same money. But either way, you want to look at the stones you are considering in person and not set. Tell them you only want D-F color, and look at the stones. For me, one of them popped. It had more inclusions than most of the others, but the depth/length/width was such that it just sparkled more. She loved the stone, and the platinum setting.

Ken, if you feel like taking a trip down to the city for a couple of days, I can introduce you to the jeweler I used. You will likely need to meet with him a few times, first to discuss what you are looking for, then to inspect stones - probably a day or two later, and finally to pick up the ring.

Btw, most jewelers will not set a ladies ring in paladium. They will do white gold or platinum, but you might have to hunt for one that will do paladium.

acarr
12-22-2010, 02:06 PM
Blue Nile is where I got my wife's. If you use discover you get like 10% cash back also from shopping there and linking from their site. I don't think you can beat them dollar for dollar and all are certified.

jesseboston81
12-22-2010, 04:59 PM
Avoid online jewelers like Blue Nile. They loosely group their diamonds into far more broad ranges than a jeweler would. They buy diamonds in bulk that are all 'similar' to the type that they are selling, they could be anywhere from 2-4 steps off of what you think you are buying. You could end up paying $1000 for a diamond that was supposed to be a certain weight, color and clarity but they send you a diamond that was close enough to the untrainned eye but ends up being worth $800 when appraised.

I'm not sure I agree with this statement. I just bought an engagement ring from Blue Nile a little over three months ago after a long time comparing both online and B+M options. My fiancee wasn't concerned about any fancy setting, so I got her a solitaire diamond in a "plaint" platinum setting. I found that, since I was largely just paying for the diamond, Blue Nile gave me the best price. According to my "research," a similar diamond to what I got from Blue Nile would have cost me around 30-40% more from any other store. Blue Nile made it easy to pick exactly which diamond I wanted, it came with certification, and the appraisal was right on. When buying from Blue Nile you lose a lot of the other services a B+M will provide and the sales relationship, but I'm convinced that I got what I paid for and could not have gotten that I would have gotten less diamond for my money had I gone anywhere else.

E.J.
12-22-2010, 05:14 PM
Guess most everything that needs to be said has been said. Can't stress enough about knowing the 4C's and educating yourself about what is acceptable for you in each.

If I was you, I'd spend a fair amount of time wasting a few jewelers time concerning this. That may sound chitty...but it is how I feel. Who knows, maybe one of them will surprise you....

Guess each lady has her own taste....and I guess men do as well. I am a firm believer of as large of HIGH QUALITY stone as you can afford. Stick it in a basic setting that makes you focus on that stone.

All that behind me.... CONGRATS!!

chippewastud79
12-22-2010, 05:23 PM
I'm not sure I agree with this statement. I just bought an engagement ring from Blue Nile a little over three months ago after a long time comparing both online and B+M options. My fiancee wasn't concerned about any fancy setting, so I got her a solitaire diamond in a "plaint" platinum setting. I found that, since I was largely just paying for the diamond, Blue Nile gave me the best price. According to my "research," a similar diamond to what I got from Blue Nile would have cost me around 30-40% more from any other store. Blue Nile made it easy to pick exactly which diamond I wanted, it came with certification, and the appraisal was right on. When buying from Blue Nile you lose a lot of the other services a B+M will provide and the sales relationship, but I'm convinced that I got what I paid for and could not have gotten that I would have gotten less diamond for my money had I gone anywhere else.

Blue Nile appraises their own diamonds and they are grouped into lots of similar diamonds. While their appraisal will be exactly what you think you paid for the diamond could be a full color off or otherwise different than what is represented by their website or papers they sent with it. I am only speaking on the knowledge from people inside the diamond business, I lack the personal experience as I have never purchased a diamond from them. By in large, most jewelers have said that Blue Nile is not giving you exactly what they represent. :2

At the end of the day, if your fiance/wife is happy with the ring, there is no problem about the price paid regardless of whether you got what you paid for. Unless you somehow got the most sparkling cubic zirconia. :tu

thebayratt
12-22-2010, 05:40 PM
I got one at Zales. I got the protection & theft plans. Good thing too, the Misses somehow lost a diamond out of it and they replaced it for free. That and the free cleanings/sizings is nice too.

kenstogie
12-23-2010, 07:36 AM
Wow, you inmates are wealth of info. And to Ryan yea, yea, yea ;)

shilala
12-23-2010, 07:44 AM
The second time around ;) I went local. Great small jeweler, came highly recommended by a few friends in the area. Probably paid "retail" for it, but I've been happy with it for the past 8 years. They clean and inspect the ring every year for free, too.

I suppose you could pick out a stone on-line and have it set, but for the money you'll be spending (I assume) I'd think you'd want to actually see what you were getting before you put down the cash.

Good luck!

I did the same thing, for the same reasons. I was able to beat the old boy down in price a long way, but I'm sure he came way out ahead of me, he's been playing this game a lot longer than I have. :)

In the past, I've shopped diamond stud earrings, necklaces and bracelets, then taken the specs and shopped the same stuff online. I can find things of the identical specs for half the price or less.
I paid more at the local shop because I wanted the "traditional" factor, and the ring and band set were perfect. When it all works out just right, I figure there's no sense messing with it.

Bunker
12-23-2010, 07:53 AM
Lousy picture, but to give you an idea with the wedding band we got to fit around it:

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i92/rcain1us/rings.jpg

Of course, now she wants a band for the other side too.

I told her to start looking - in about 5 years :)

kaisersozei
12-23-2010, 08:24 AM
One other thing: if you end up with a pricey ring, make sure you take out a jewelry rider on your homeowner's insurance for it. It's not much/year, but it's good piece of mind and you'll be thankful if anything happens to the ring.

rizzle
12-23-2010, 08:55 AM
My two cents...

I came about this close to buying from an online dealer that I had researched thoroughly. The guy spent total, probably 3+ hours on the phone with me over time and faxed me countless certifications for me to look at. I felt totally comfortable with him and if I made a purchase from him could have had my own certification done and if I wasn't happy with the stones I could have gotten a full refund no questions asked. I would highly recommend that guy.

That being said, I had a local wholesaler recommended to me that happened to be in my office building at the time and I didn't even know it. I worked with him over a period of a couple of months looking at different stones until he finally found me the ones. Then we worked and designed a custom setting for them which he had another jeweler make. And I did go the platinum route and couldn't care less about the softness of the metal. If you want a platinum ring you know the metal isn't going to be impervious. Hell, my wedding band is platinum and looks awesome with scuffs on it. And when I look at my wife's rings I guarantee you it isn't scratches that catch your eye. ;)

All said and done, I probably got twice the ring for the amount of money I wanted to spend. So in sum, find yourself a local wholesaler. Thats the dealio. And I won't talk about stones, that's a personal deal and you'll know the difference when you start looking at them. And do your homework like with any large purchase.

mosesbotbol
12-23-2010, 08:58 AM
One other thing: if you end up with a pricey ring, make sure you take out a jewelry rider on your homeowner's insurance for it. It's not much/year, but it's good piece of mind and you'll be thankful if anything happens to the ring.

That should include any fancy jewelry or watch.