PDA

View Full Version : New York City

MiamiE
12-14-2010, 05:40 PM
Ill be in NYC I think the second weekend of January. Never been. My wife has, and doesnt stop talking about how great it is. Ill only be there about 3-4 days so I need some tips on must-see places, and great pizza and Italian food! I put up a thread in the Herfs section in case anyone wants to get together. :banger

ninjavanish
12-14-2010, 05:58 PM
Ill be in NYC I think the second weekend of January. Never been. My wife has, and doesnt stop talking about how great it is. Ill only be there about 3-4 days so I need some tips on must-see places, and great pizza and Italian food! I put up a thread in the Herfs section in case anyone wants to get together. :banger

Honestly, I feel like you must see club macanudo.

Having visited it myself for the first time ever a week and half ago... I can tell you... Try the Cuban ribeye. Unfreakinbelievable.

Other than that I couldn't tell you. I had a piece of pizza at 2:30 in the morning at a place near times square called la famiglia... Decent pizza... Had pictures of famous people who had eaten there on the walls.

mosesbotbol
12-14-2010, 06:15 PM
Walk over the Brooklyn bridge and end up at Grimaldi's pizza in Brooklyn

forgop
12-14-2010, 06:17 PM
I wouldn't know what to suggest doing in the winter as I've only been in the summer. I went for like a week for my 22nd Bday and went to tapings of the Montel Williams and Rush Limbaugh TV shows. We saw the other big sites like the Statue, Central Park, twin towers, Empire State Building, and stood outside the David Letterman show to see him come out and hail down a cab for his taping.

Don't know cigar-wise, but if you're up for fine dining, I highly recommend Sparks Steakhouse. I think it's ranked among the best in the country and it was outstanding when I went about 10 years ago.

MiamiE
12-14-2010, 06:23 PM
Moses and Duane, thanks for the recommendations! I just read about Lombardi's pizza. Any opinions?

forgop
12-14-2010, 06:28 PM
Where are you staying in NYC? Got a buddy from another board in NYC that heads to a lounge a couple of times a week. I can ask him for his opinion. Hell, maybe he could be there and show you his magic tricks while you're there.

MiamiE
12-14-2010, 06:32 PM
Not sure yet. Nothing to crazy. We have looked at the Hilton in Times Square.

Blueface
12-14-2010, 06:39 PM
Erick,
When you can, call me.
Grew up in NJ, worked many years in NY.

Quick favorites:
Jewish Deli's: Katz (When Harry Met Sally Sex scene location) or Carnegie Deli

Italian: Lamella's or Pellegrino's

Pastries: Ferrara's

Pizza: Grimaldi's

Sight Seeing: The whole freaking city.
Statue of Liberty, South Street Seaport, Empire State Building, Rockerfeller Center, Radio City Music Hall, Macy's for Christmas time, Broadway plays, Central Park.
Clubs up the wazzoo everywhere.

The city that never sleeps is a fact to live by.
So many, many more things.

forgop
12-14-2010, 06:56 PM

I'd recommend using priceline.com and name your price. You lose the exact name/location, but you can select your amenity level and a pretty exact location for where you wanna be. Find the absolute lowest price you can find anywhere else and then start bidding at 50% of those rates. I've stayed in MANY hotels like a Hilton, Marriott, etc, etc. really cheap that way.

MiamiE
12-14-2010, 07:03 PM
Carlos ill call you up tomorrow. Duane I am on Priceline now.

forgop
12-14-2010, 07:12 PM
Also, this was the feedback from a BOTL on another board who lives a little north of NYC about shops/lounges.

There are many nice lounges in the city. Davidoff in Columbus Circle and on Madison as well. Then there in Barclay Rex's where Skipper goes. There is also a huge JR Cigars and Nat Sherman.

forgop
12-14-2010, 07:15 PM
Carlos ill call you up tomorrow. Duane I am on Priceline now.

See what the regular priceline rate is and then do the name your own price...literally start around 50% of those prices yet. The hotels they list at a particular star level will give you a good idea what hotels you'll be looking at for a particular part of NYC and star level you want to bid at.

I think the ONLY time I've not used priceline for traveling in the last 10+ years was when I had to have a place that I was guaranteed to allow dogs. Other than that, as long as I'm staying within a certain radius of where I want to be and generally a 3+ star hotel, I'm good to go.

MiamiE
12-14-2010, 07:24 PM
I found the Hilton Garden Inn Times Square. Its $172 a night and 3 stars. I did the Priceline price deal at $90 and was accepted, but who knows what hotel thats for. Kind of tough to give CC info!

Doctorossi
12-14-2010, 07:25 PM

:tpd:

I just read about Lombardi's pizza. Any opinions?

Very cool- just be aware that you'll need to order a whole pie- they don't do slices.

Jewish Deli's: Katz

:tpd: THE place!

Sight Seeing: The whole freaking city.

Quite! When in doubt, just wander around Manhattan some more. There's cool stuff to see/do everywhere. You can't go wrong.

forgop
12-14-2010, 07:27 PM
I found the Hilton Garden Inn Times Square. Its $172 a night and 3 stars. I did the Priceline price deal at $90 and was accepted, but who knows what hotel thats for. Kind of tough to give CC info!

Tough to give out CC info? I'm lost, cuz in order to name your own price, you have to provide your cc info when making your offer.

MiamiE
12-14-2010, 07:36 PM
I meant tough to give it out without knowing what hotel I am getting. :(

forgop
12-14-2010, 07:46 PM
I meant tough to give it out without knowing what hotel I am getting. :(

Well, you have a pretty good idea of what hotels they're choosing from in a particular area and star level. If knowing the exact name of the hotel you're getting at is worth an extra $50-100/night, more power to ya.

I've probably used priceline for no fewer than 50 different hotels over the years and I can say I was disappointed with just one. Nice name brand chain that is usually in the 3.5-4 star category, which was much higher than I felt they should have been rated for this particular location. I think it was part of another chain purchased and they were a long way from renovating it up to their standards elsewhere.

MiamiE
12-14-2010, 08:09 PM
Maybe I will take a risk and save the money! $380 for 3 nights in 3 star NYC Times Square hotel seems like a great deal.

forgop
12-14-2010, 08:19 PM
Maybe I will take a risk and save the money! $380 for 3 nights in 3 star NYC Times Square hotel seems like a great deal.

Just think-the money you save will help you buy a lot of smokes and pay for dinner at Sparks. :D

Honestly, I've even stayed in some 2 star Holiday Inns that were more than adequate IMO to bring price down if I wanted to be at a certain price point.

madwilliamflint
12-14-2010, 08:57 PM

+150. I live a few blocks from there.

PeteSB75
12-15-2010, 07:29 AM
If you are looking for cigars, hit De La Concha on 6th Ave between 56th and 57th St. Better service than any other shop I've been to in the city. Barclay Rex is ok but they don't let you bring in your own cigars, only allowed to smoke what you buy there. I'd skip J&R, I've bought from them a few times and everything I've gotten from them has been far too dry. Davidoff on Madison has basically the same selection as De La Concha, aside from a larger selection of Davidoff cigars, but since they are both owned by Davidoff, DLC has quite a bit as well.

As far as lounges, we generally go to Merchants East on 1st Ave/62nd St for herfs. It's a nice room, more casual then the other clubs, they don't charge a cutting fee, and their food is pretty good. Carnagie Club on 56th is fairly nice, as long as you are dressed for it - no sneakers, collared shirt. They charge a $10 cutting fee if you bring your own. I've not been in Club Macanudo, but they have a similar dress code, not sure about a cutting fee.

MiamiE
12-15-2010, 08:09 AM
I will definately be checking out Merchants East! Thanks.

mosesbotbol
12-15-2010, 09:36 AM
Erick,
When you can, call me.
Grew up in NJ, worked many years in NY.

Quick favorites:
Jewish Deli's: Katz (When Harry Met Sally Sex scene location) or Carnegie Deli

Stage Deli is good too.

Another good pizza place after going to Grimaldi's is Difara Pizzeria which is also in Brooklyn

Blueface
12-15-2010, 10:07 AM
Stage Deli is good too.

Another good pizza place after going to Grimaldi's is Difara Pizzeria which is also in Brooklyn

But if you want to eat the very, very, very, very best (get the emphasis?) Sicilian style pizza anywhere, go deeper into Brooklyn, to Bensonhurst to L&B Spumoni Gardens.

One will never eat any Sicilian ever again other than that one.

MiamiE
12-15-2010, 10:37 AM
I don't know if I can make it down to southern Brooklyn, but I'll definately check out Grimaldi's!

Doctorossi
12-15-2010, 10:42 AM
I don't know if I can make it down to southern Brooklyn, but I'll definately check out Grimaldi's!

Be prepared to stand in line.

mosesbotbol
12-15-2010, 12:04 PM
Be prepared to stand in line.

I'd go as soon as it opens, usually the line is 30-90 minutes.

SvilleKid
12-15-2010, 12:18 PM
Even if you don't like shopping, you have to go inside, and walk around all the levels of FAO Schwarz! It will blow your mind!!! You owe it to your wife to take her in and thru Bloomingdales, and/or Macy's! Both are single stores that have more square footage than many malls! A warning: Unless it has changed, the higher the level at Bloomingdales, the higher price the items. So, keep your wife on the lower levels!!

When I was there, it was a month or less before Christmas, so everything was rocking!

Mugen910
12-15-2010, 12:20 PM
You want a good deal in nice clothes find your way to Century21 Department Store. It's like a TJMaxx but nicer brands.

MiamiE
12-15-2010, 12:33 PM
Don't know that we'll be doing much shopping, we will go broke! :r More sightseeing to try and see all the main places. I've got Ground Zero, Statue of Liberty, Times Square, Brooklyn, Yankee Stadium, Chinatown, Little Italy, and Empire State Building on the list so far.

mosesbotbol
12-15-2010, 01:54 PM
You want a good deal in nice clothes find your way to Century21 Department Store. It's like a TJMaxx but nicer brands.

That place is a must and it next to Ground Zero, so you can see two things.

landhoney
12-15-2010, 02:19 PM
Statue of Liberty

Skip it, seriously. :2 Once you've been a couple times and have more time then take the time to go out there. On your first trip (and with only 3-4 days) don't take up the better part of a whole day just to see this, too much other stuff to do and see. Again just my :2 I have been to NYC almost a dozen times, we try to go once a year, and each time we discover new things. If you do go, pick me up a fake Rolex in Battery Park, seriously. :r

The only pizza place not already mentioned (Moses really covered two great ones) is Patsy's in Harlem (the original Patsy's), I think the quality has gone down in recent years, but it's still great coal oven pizza. It's kind of out of the way though, unless you're up that way for some reason.

How about Rockefeller Center? Museums (The Met, MoMA, Guggenheim, Natural History)? Wall St.? Chelsea Market (food galore)? Central Park? Etc, tons of other stuff to do!

SvilleKid
12-15-2010, 03:23 PM
Don't know that we'll be doing much shopping, we will go broke! :r More sightseeing to try and see all the main places. I've got Ground Zero, Statue of Liberty, Times Square, Brooklyn, Yankee Stadium, Chinatown, Little Italy, and Empire State Building on the list so far.

Seriously. Even if you don't shop. Go to FAO Schwarz! Easy walking distance from Central Park (at least the side I stayed on - The Plaza Hotel)

Mr.Maduro
12-15-2010, 09:37 PM
If you do go, pick me up a fake Rolex in Battery Park, seriously. :r

Seriously? Does it have to be from Battery Park? The ones on 5th Avenue near my job are just as fake....how much do you want to spend?

MiamiE
12-16-2010, 04:13 AM
I thought Chinatown was "the place" for decent looking fake watches and purses?

longknocker
12-16-2010, 04:24 AM

That's Where We Stayed In November!:tu Great Hotel & Close To Plays, Food, ETC. I've Only Been To NYC Once So I Would Definitely Recommend Seeing Your Play Of Choice!:tu We Saw Million Dollar Quartet(:tu) & Couldn't Get Tickets To Jersey Boys. Have Fun!:tu

mosesbotbol
12-16-2010, 05:37 AM
I thought Chinatown was "the place" for decent looking fake watches and purses?

Canal St.

MiamiE
12-16-2010, 07:11 AM
Canal St.

That's what I saw on the map. Thanks.

landhoney
12-16-2010, 07:23 AM
Seriously? Does it have to be from Battery Park? The ones on 5th Avenue near my job are just as fake....how much do you want to spend?

No, just being nostalgic, I miss NYC this time of year. :sad

mosesbotbol
12-16-2010, 07:39 AM
Don't know cigar-wise, but if you're up for fine dining, I highly recommend Sparks Steakhouse. I think it's ranked among the best in the country and it was outstanding when I went about 10 years ago.

My cousin was the manager of Sparks when Paul Castellano was killed outside. Guess who got to clean up? Sparks has some wonderful wine deals. Sure, they are expensive wines, but many are cost less than going to the liquor store. They have been investing and cellaring for a long at Sparks.

Mr.Maduro
12-16-2010, 08:15 AM
No, just being nostalgic, I miss NYC this time of year. :sad

Get on the private jet....you got a friend in NYC....;)

timj219
12-16-2010, 08:46 AM
Moses and Duane, thanks for the recommendations! I just read about Lombardi's pizza. Any opinions?Lombardi's is good but my personal favorite in Manhattan is John's on Bleeker in the village. Katz deli is a good choice if you want real corned beef or pastrami.
My recommendations for things to do are:

Get half price tickets for a broadway show at the twofer booth in times square. The rest of times square is just overpriced shopping and millions of tourists so skip it unless you go for the tickets.

Visit the Metropolitan Museum of Art, Museum of Modern Art, Guggenheim, or Natural History museum. Met, Gugenheim, and Nat Hist are all on Central Park. In fact it's a nice walk straight across the park from Met to Nat Hist.

Little Italy in manhattan has nice places to eat including La Bella Ferrara which is my favorite bakery. There's another (some say better) little italy on Arthur Ave in the Bronx but it's tougher for a visitor to get to.

Ground Zero. And it's a short walk west from ground zero to southstreet seaport. I used to love the area when the fulton fish market was there but they've moved it to hunt's point. But they do have an exhibition there called bodies (http://www.bodiestheexhibition.com/newyork/) which my wife and I went to. Unforgettable. There's also a beautiful view of the brooklyn bridge from there.

Check out the calendar at lincoln center for classical and jazz if you like that.

MarioF
12-16-2010, 08:56 AM
If you want a memorable dinner go to Babbo's http://www.babbonyc.com/. It's hard to make reservations for but is worth it. Very pricey, but they have a tasting menu along with wine and they make it a wonderful experience. So if you want to make it a special weekend this is great way to top it off.

Doctorossi
12-16-2010, 09:49 AM
You owe it to your wife to take her in and thru Bloomingdales, and/or Macy's!

I must admit that I love the aesthetics of the cosmetics floor of Macy's. It's decorated for Christmas right now, so it doesn't quite have the usual magic, but they've found the perfect balance between ancient Egyptian spa and advanced science laboratory/clean-room. It's a trip and you have to see it, even if you have zero interest in cosmetics, like me.

Doctorossi
12-16-2010, 09:51 AM
I've got Ground Zero, Statue of Liberty, Times Square, Brooklyn, Yankee Stadium, Chinatown, Little Italy, and Empire State Building on the list so far.

'Atsa too maaaaach!

Doctorossi
12-16-2010, 09:53 AM
Met, Gugenheim, and Nat Hist are all on Central Park. In fact it's a nice walk straight across the park from Met to Nat Hist.

Plus, you can pair it with a nice stop at The Shake Shack (yes, even in December).

mosesbotbol
12-16-2010, 10:06 AM
There's another (some say better) little italy on Arthur Ave in the Bronx but it's tougher for a visitor to get to.

If you go to Arthur Ave, which I highly recommend! Do not go on Sunday; everything is closed.

MiamiE
12-16-2010, 08:21 PM
I am taking notes! Thanks for all the recommendations. LOTS to do in so little time!

forgop
12-16-2010, 08:32 PM
But they do have an exhibition there called bodies (http://www.bodiestheexhibition.com/newyork/) which my wife and I went to. Unforgettable. There's also a beautiful view of the brooklyn bridge from there.

Bodies is a cool exhibit, but many people object to the means in which the subjects are used for the exhibit. There's just a little something about Chinese people being used as part of an exhibit without their consent. :2

Chingas
12-16-2010, 08:33 PM

Remember the Statue of Liberty is in JERSEY!:banger

So is the home of some of the best pizza in the world! And not to mention we don't have a 75% Tabacco Tax:r

Have fun Brother. If I can make it up one nite we'll meet up in the city.

Mr.Maduro
12-16-2010, 09:10 PM
Remember the Statue of Liberty is in JERSEY!:banger

Looks like somebody flunked geography class.... :sh

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statue_of_Liberty

See location under large photo on right. :tf

Chingas
12-16-2010, 09:22 PM
That page can easily be corrected!

It's a common misconception.

http://www.aboutnewjersey.com/Regions/Gateway/Hudson/JerseyCity/statue-of-liberty.php

Happy reading!

Mr.Maduro
12-16-2010, 09:23 PM
The statue is situated in Upper New York Bay on Liberty Island, south of Ellis Island. Both islands were ceded by New York to the federal government in 1800. As agreed in an 1834 compact between New York and New Jersey that set the state border at the bay's midpoint, the original islands remain New York territory despite their location on the New Jersey side of the state line. Land created by reclamation at Ellis is New Jersey territory.

Its there in black and white....

Chingas
12-16-2010, 09:26 PM
Well that's awful. :td Used to be Jersey! In a Jersians eyes, it'll always be Jersey!:tu:banger

timj219
12-17-2010, 01:50 PM
Bodies is a cool exhibit, but many people object to the means in which the subjects are used for the exhibit. There's just a little something about Chinese people being used as part of an exhibit without their consent. :2I read about the controversy after we had visited. Still not positive one way or the other whether everything was done in good faith by the exhibitors. But the value of the exhibit IMO makes it worth a visit anyway. If I have a chance I will probably go again - it was that powerful.

MiamiE
12-25-2010, 08:54 PM
Trip is official! Booked my Jet Blue flight to La Guardia. Now I just need accomadations. Thanks for all the tips!

Coach Deg
12-26-2010, 07:00 AM
Just jumped on. My flight weather permitting leaves at 9am tomorrow! Bringing the wife and kids to see New York at Christmas time. I could not remember Ferrara's for the life of me. Some great suggestions, you guys made. Also juniors for cheese cake!!

Blueface
12-26-2010, 09:40 AM
That page can easily be corrected!

It's a common misconception.

http://www.aboutnewjersey.com/Regions/Gateway/Hudson/JerseyCity/statue-of-liberty.php

Happy reading!

The statue is situated in Upper New York Bay on Liberty Island, south of Ellis Island. Both islands were ceded by New York to the federal government in 1800. As agreed in an 1834 compact between New York and New Jersey that set the state border at the bay's midpoint, the original islands remain New York territory despite their location on the New Jersey side of the state line. Land created by reclamation at Ellis is New Jersey territory.

Its there in black and white....

Ahhh........
The old us NJ's v. them NY's over the statue is ours or theirs by virtue of where Liberty Island is situated.

I think we might as well add the NY Giants and NY Jets to this discussion.
Oh wait.....dear me.....how silly.......NY, go ahead and keep the Jets. :r

Mr.Maduro
12-26-2010, 11:57 AM
Ahhh........
The old us NJ's v. them NY's over the statue is ours or theirs by virtue of where Liberty Island is situated.

I think we might as well add the NY Giants and NY Jets to this discussion.
Oh wait.....dear me.....how silly.......NY, go ahead and keep the Jets. :r

Keep 'em both...there's only one NY NFL team...the Buffalo Bills!

Chingas
12-26-2010, 02:00 PM
Keep 'em both...there's only one NY NFL team...the Buffalo Bills!

:r. I always forget the Bills. Amazing how NY has 3 football teams, two of which share a home stadium in NJ and NJ has 0 teams. Now I don't care who you are, there is something wrong with that picture!

But it's been so long, it just the norm now. :tu