PDA

View Full Version : Torch Duration

Nathan King
12-13-2010, 10:24 AM
This is probably really stupid, but humor me. The instructions on many torch lighters advise not keeping it lit for over fifteen seconds. How is a person supposed to slowly toast the foot to a nice even coal in 15 seconds? I often find that the torch lighter becomes uncomfortably hot after about 25-30 seconds and my cigar still isn't ready. I like the torch, but should I stick to soft flames?

Mugen910
12-13-2010, 10:38 AM
toast for 14 secs....stop...toast again for 14 sec...stop.. smoke. If you can't get your cigar ready in 28 sec of lighting then I cannot help you.

CigarNut
12-13-2010, 10:40 AM
I think a lot depends upon what kind of torch you are using. Some have plastic parts that could get overheated and melt. Others have metal parts that could get overheated and burn your fingers.

All of the torches I am using at the moment are metal and I don't worry about duration and have not had a problem with burning my fingers (yet)...

Lucky_Hippo
12-13-2010, 11:05 AM
A single flame torch on a larger ring cigar will take a little time to get lit. You may want to give a double or triple torch a try if you havn't already. You'll be filling them up more often, but they'll get you a toasted foot a lot quicker.

It's a trade off thing I guess.

Good Luck!

aich75013
12-13-2010, 11:23 AM
Real men don't read instructions.
:r

T.G
12-13-2010, 11:28 AM
This is probably really stupid, but humor me. The instructions on many torch lighters advise not keeping it lit for over fifteen seconds.

Dr. Egon Spengler: There's something very important I forgot to tell you.
Dr. Peter Venkman: What?
Dr. Egon Spengler: Don't cross the streams.
Dr. Peter Venkman: Why?
Dr. Egon Spengler: It would be bad.
Dr. Peter Venkman: I'm fuzzy on the whole good/bad thing. What do you mean, "bad"?
Dr. Egon Spengler: Try to imagine all life as you know it stopping instantaneously and every molecule in your body exploding at the speed of light.
Dr Ray Stantz: Total protonic reversal.
Dr. Peter Venkman: Right. That's bad. Okay. All right. Important safety tip. Thanks, Egon.

Devanmc
12-13-2010, 11:30 AM
:tpd: :tf

shilala
12-13-2010, 11:32 AM
Little lighters for little rings.
I have a five flame torch in my shop. No messing around with that one, I can tell ya.
I'm pretty sure it doesn't have instructions, either. :tu

CasaDooley
12-13-2010, 01:19 PM
Real men don't read instructions.
:r

Dr. Egon Spengler: There's something very important I forgot to tell you.
Dr. Peter Venkman: What?
Dr. Egon Spengler: Don't cross the streams.
Dr. Peter Venkman: Why?
Dr. Egon Spengler: It would be bad.
Dr. Peter Venkman: I'm fuzzy on the whole good/bad thing. What do you mean, "bad"?
Dr. Egon Spengler: Try to imagine all life as you know it stopping instantaneously and every molecule in your body exploding at the speed of light.
Dr Ray Stantz: Total protonic reversal.
Dr. Peter Venkman: Right. That's bad. Okay. All right. Important safety tip. Thanks, Egon.

:tpd:WINNERS!

justonemorestick
12-14-2010, 09:49 AM
what you can do is get a propane or butane torch from home depot the kind you do copper pipes with and use that I know you can leave them on longer than 15 secs.