PDA

View Full Version : damn customs

Don Fernando
12-11-2010, 09:28 AM
if they only knew the rules.

I got a letter today, a package that I send myself (using the address of a friend as return address) when I was in the US a few weeks ago got confiscated even though

Articles sent for commercial purposes will not be admitted unless the addressee has obtained an import permit issued by the Centrale Dienst voor Inen Uitvoer, van Stolkweg 14, Gravenhage, and where necessary, a currency permit issued by the Nederlandsche Bank at Amsterdam.

Authorization from the Nederlandsche Bank is required to be obtained by the addressee for the importation of current instruments of payment; securities; acknowledgments of debt; and shares of stock.

Cigarettes or tobacco products will be admitted only if they are sent from one private individual to another without any compensation or payment and if the package contains no more than 800 cigarettes, 400 cigars, or 1 kilogram (approximately 2.2 lbs.) of shag or cigarette tobacco.

Meat or meat products (including poultry and wild game) and milk or milk products cannot exceed 1 kilogram (approximately 2.2 lbs.), and any such products must be accompanied by a veterinary certificate issued by the responsible official authority from the country of origin.

It wasn't a commercial shipment, less then 400 cigars, so it was allowed. I hate customs.

massphatness
12-11-2010, 09:30 AM
WTF?! Do you have any recourse in a situation like this, Ferdie?

Don Fernando
12-11-2010, 09:34 AM
Got the letter today, will call them and file an official protest on monday, hope I am not too late and that the package isn't destroyed already. Had some HTF cigars in there, including the Tat Sodo.

Worst thing is, the letter says that my address has been flagged as it is the second time they found tobacco in packages to my address, so I'm on the shitlist now, no more orders from the US.

massphatness
12-11-2010, 09:36 AM
Worst thing is, the letter says that my address has been flagged as it is the second time they found tobacco in packages to my address, so I'm on the shitlist now, no more orders from the US.

I call :bs This is all a ruse so no one bombs your ass anymore. :D
Seriously though - hope this works out for you.

Don Fernando
12-11-2010, 09:38 AM
I've been bombed so hard in Florida that I don't care no more Vin, i'm numb ;)

I hope I get my box of cigars, and that I find a way to still be able to order cigars in the US as you guys get a much bigger selection than we do.

pektel
12-11-2010, 09:45 AM
That sucks, Ferdie. Maybe it's time to ask your neighbors if you can get packages shipped to them instead of you. Although that may seem a little fishy to them lol.

Eleven
12-11-2010, 09:46 AM
A friend from Belgium sent me a laptop to get fixed, and upon sending it back to him it sat in customs for almost 2 months because of some paranoia on evading sales taxes on items like that in Belgium.

We're afraid of getting blowed up and you guys are afraid of getting ripped off. No-win situation there.

boom
12-11-2010, 10:31 AM
I hate Customs!!!!

joeobx
12-11-2010, 10:35 AM
That blows Ferdie....hope they see the error of their ways and you get your smokes.

Coach Deg
12-11-2010, 10:46 AM
BS!!!

Brad
12-11-2010, 07:45 PM
We've been having issues with Customs here in the US these days to. ;)

Chingas
12-11-2010, 07:48 PM
You got a Case number and 30 days to protest. Should be good to go Brother. I hope!:tu

maninblack
12-11-2010, 07:52 PM
What a bunch of bull.

smelvis
12-11-2010, 08:24 PM
Damn, Good Luck Brother hope you get them back, F**king idiots.

whodeeni
12-15-2010, 12:39 PM
Damn, Good Luck Brother hope you get them back, F**king idiots.

+1

longknocker
12-15-2010, 12:52 PM
So Sorry To Hear This, Ferdie!:fl Hope It Gets Resolved In Your Favor Soon!

kelmac07
12-15-2010, 01:35 PM
I call :bs

Don Fernando
12-15-2010, 01:48 PM
it ain't Mac. I wish it was. This is a couple of hundred bucks of cigars that I lost and my addy is tagged.

Lumpold
12-15-2010, 02:17 PM
I came in here expecting you to be moaning that the Dutch government had made Clog Dancing in front of the Town Windmills on a Saturday a mandatory thing to increase tourism...

On a serious note, do you think you'd be able to find a lawyer to sue the Dutch Authorities if they have destroyed the shipment? Do you think you'd have a case?

STEVE S
12-15-2010, 02:22 PM
;s Fredie I hope you get your cigars back from these a**holes!!

Springsman
12-15-2010, 02:27 PM
doood....that sucks...sorry to hear, fight the good fight, Hope you get your stogies!

nick2021
12-15-2010, 04:09 PM
man, sorry to hear about that! do tell us what happens, curious to see how they respond to this!

PLUSH
12-15-2010, 04:22 PM
Hey, Customs sucks over here also :)

msayewich
12-15-2010, 04:44 PM
no better in Canada....

Lumpold
12-15-2010, 05:07 PM
Man, UK customs are sounding pretty good, for you lot. They just tax the living crap out of it, no 'you may not have them' :bs

kydsid
12-15-2010, 05:20 PM
Ferdie, even if they destroyed them already there has to be a Tort process for recompense on damaged or falsely seized goods as required by the WCO/NATO under the Kyoto Convention.

Sorry to see it happen. I just hope you get a good officer who will fairly judge your response to the seizure.

Cigarcop
12-15-2010, 05:21 PM
Sorry to hear this Ferdi but since you have an appeal process I don't think they'll destroy them until you have a chance to plead your case.....Now I'm glad I gave you the ashtray!

kelmac07
12-15-2010, 05:23 PM
it ain't Mac. I wish it was. This is a couple of hundred bucks of cigars that I lost and my addy is tagged.

I gotcha...only the lighters.

Lumpold
12-15-2010, 05:41 PM
Sorry to hear this Ferdi but since you have an appeal process I don't think they'll destroy them until you have a chance to plead your case.....Now I'm glad I gave you the ashtray!

Er... don't bet on it. In the UK, I can think of one prominent story from a few years ago. Wasn't cigars, but a disabled man came back from Europe with what Customs deemed excess items (I'm fairly sure it was rolling tobacco), and his car was seized, along with all the products. He was forced to get a taxi home, 350 miles away, and had no other means of transport. He waited for his appeal, 3 weeks later, where the judge ruled in his favour, he hadn't bought excess items in to the country, Customs & Excise were to return his car and products to him. At which point C&E told him they'd already destroyed the product and crushed his car.

guitar4001
12-15-2010, 06:51 PM
that sucks. i haven't had many run-ins with customs, but they did snag some DVDs from my bag in Afghanistan.

Chingas
12-15-2010, 08:27 PM
Ferdie, even if they destroyed them already there has to be a Tort process for recompense on damaged or falsely seized goods as required by the WCO/NATO under the Kyoto Convention.

Sorry to see it happen. I just hope you get a good officer who will fairly judge your response to the seizure.

Dude. You know too much!:r

Any update Ferdie?

Brutus2600
12-15-2010, 09:10 PM
Yeah...I'll be curious to see what comes of this. Sorry to hear of the troubles Ferd :td

KillerCelt
12-15-2010, 09:11 PM

haha. I was thinking the same thing but was also quite impressed and in awe of his knowledge.

kydsid
12-15-2010, 09:17 PM

Any update Ferdie?

haha. I was thinking the same thing but was also quite impressed and in awe of his knowledge.

I read a lot. :tu

Don Fernando
12-16-2010, 01:20 AM
nu updates.

Problem is I don't exactly know what was in the box, a lot of singles and a box of Diesel Unlimited.

kydsid
12-16-2010, 05:21 AM
nu updates.

Problem is I don't exactly know what was in the box, a lot of singles and a box of Diesel Unlimited.

A friend sent you a gift. You shouldn't know what was in the box. ;)

BloodSpite
12-16-2010, 09:47 AM
Hope this works out!

DonnieW
12-16-2010, 10:00 AM
Customs is consistently inconsistent.

lyle23
12-17-2010, 02:47 PM
This sux man, i hope you get your stuff. Good luck.

12-17-2010, 02:58 PM
Er... don't bet on it. In the UK, I can think of one prominent story from a few years ago. Wasn't cigars, but a disabled man came back from Europe with what Customs deemed excess items (I'm fairly sure it was rolling tobacco), and his car was seized, along with all the products. He was forced to get a taxi home, 350 miles away, and had no other means of transport. He waited for his appeal, 3 weeks later, where the judge ruled in his favour, he hadn't bought excess items in to the country, Customs & Excise were to return his car and products to him. At which point C&E told him they'd already destroyed the product and crushed his car.

God bless the US Constitution:

Amendment 4
The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

Amendment 5 - Trial and Punishment, Compensation for Takings
No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a Grand Jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the Militia, when in actual service in time of War or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offense to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation.

If it was all legit and legal, and this happened here, you'd have a good legal case for some $$$ compensation. Just my opinon, I am not a lawyer.

Secret Santa
12-18-2010, 06:05 AM
A friend sent you a gift. You shouldn't know what was in the box. ;)

Hey Jason...Santa sent you a gift and You DON't know what's in the Boxes!:banger

Ferdie, Santa is pulling for you my Dutch Brother!:tu