PDA

View Full Version : The Next Cigar Boom Is Looming....

68TriShield
12-07-2010, 05:26 PM
With recent cigar related events, do those of you that remember the "cigar boom" of the mid nineties think there will be another?

I think it's possible.There is no doubt that the non Cuban cigar manufacturers are all smiling right now.Which I don't have a problem with except quality going to crap.

:tf

688sonarmen
12-07-2010, 05:31 PM
I don't know about a boom but an increase yes. The 90's were a time of excess and the like. And with how evil tobacco is today I think it's safe to say we will have plenty of great cigars to go around.

bobarian
12-07-2010, 05:48 PM
Many have said that we are in the midst of a boom. If you look at the number of quality smokes available now, I wholeheartedly agree. Even in California its possible to walk into most B&M's and grab any number of smokes under $10/ea and not have a stinker in the bunch. Quality leaf is coming out of most countries in Central and South America. :2

chenvt
12-07-2010, 05:51 PM
With recent cigar related events, do those of you that remember the "cigar boom" of the mid nineties think there will be another?

I think it's possible.There is no doubt that the non Cuban cigar manufacturers are all smiling right now.Which I don't have a problem with except quality going to crap.

:tf

I saw this topic elsewhere.. wonder who put it up... hrmmmmmm

I think a combination of regulatory, social, and economic differences between now and the mid 90s make it unlikely..

ninjavanish
12-07-2010, 06:09 PM
I think that the next boom may be lurking... but the timing will have to be perfect... otherwise instead of a boom... we will see something more akin to a "swelling".

Opening Cuba will certainly almost have to be a part of it.

I also think that our troops coming home from overseas will play into it a good bit... at the very least... a time of extended peace for a period of 10 years or more... which as much as we would all like to hope is something that I personally think is unlikely.

But I dont think that by itself will be enough to be considered another "boom".

We all know that cigar imports into the US were around 100 million selling units in 1990... and by 1996 they were up to 240 million.

I think that the same way that nobody even really saw the previous boom coming and therefore no one knew the form it would come in... the same may be true for the next... which I think is ultimately inevitable... but may be far down the road.

I think our next cigar boom may be something that... despite our best efforts to predict it, define it or understand it... will come as a shock to nearly all interested parties.

So ultimately... I guess all I can really say is...

:sh :sh :sh :sh :sh

T.G
12-07-2010, 07:50 PM
A couple of us who remember the boom in the 90's were talking with Jonathan Drew and Pete Johnson about this subject about a month ago when we were down in Nicaragua. We kind of all agreed that yeah, we're kind of starting or even in one right now, but it's different, it's not like the flash in the pan boom of the 90's, more like a renewed interest and along with it, a demand for new, QUALITY products. The 90's you could roll up floor sweepings with sawdust and stuff it inside a cooked wrapper and sell it for $300 a box. One could say that this was due to tobacco shortages, but the reality was, people were still buying the sawdust in a cooked wrapper and thinking it was the most bomb-ass cigar on the market. Now, today, no one will tolerate that - people will pay the premiums, but not for crap. Too much good stuff out there to set the benchmark by. Crap will die on the vine pretty quick and end up in the CI 30-buck bonanza page.

Part of this is the internet and the availability of information to consumers plus the ability to instantly compare prices and see reviews. Part of that is just the evolution of the consumer.

Today's consumers have more information at their disposal and word spreads much faster. What the modern boom will end up being remains to be seen, but whatever it is, it won't be the same.

nick2021
12-07-2010, 07:53 PM
A couple of us who remember the boom in the 90's were talking with Jonathan Drew and Pete Johnson about this subject about a month ago when we were down in Nicaragua. We kind of all agreed that yeah, we're kind of starting or even in one right now, but it's different, it's not like the flash in the pan boom of the 90's, more like a renewed interest and along with it, a demand for new, QUALITY products. The 90's you could roll up floor sweepings with sawdust and stuff it inside a cooked wrapper and sell it for $300 a box. One could say that this was due to tobacco shortages, but the reality was, people were still buying the sawdust in a cooked wrapper and thinking it was the most bomb-ass cigar on the market. Now, today, no one will tolerate that - people will pay the premiums, but not for crap. Too much good stuff out there to set the benchmark by. Crap will die on the vine pretty quick and end up in the CI 30-buck bonanza page.

Part of this is the internet and the availability of information to consumers plus the ability to instantly compare prices and see reviews. Part of that is just the evolution of the consumer.

Today's consumers have more information at their disposal and word spreads much faster. What the modern boom will end up being remains to be seen, but whatever it is, it won't be the same.

Good part about the information at disposal...so much information is available to people now I'm sure it contributes to the increased interest in cigars...especially during the last year!

Ashcan Bill
12-07-2010, 08:25 PM

I don't know about another boom Dave, but I can see a potential increase in NC reviews on the horizon. :lr

T.G
12-07-2010, 08:43 PM
I don't know about another boom Dave, but I can see a potential increase in NC reviews on the horizon. :lr

http://i856.photobucket.com/albums/ab124/SeesWhatYouDidThere/Fark/5vn7li.gif

Ashcan Bill
12-07-2010, 09:11 PM
http://i856.photobucket.com/albums/ab124/SeesWhatYouDidThere/Fark/5vn7li.gif

Not I, but I'd rather be lucky than smart any day. ;)

icehog3
12-07-2010, 11:36 PM
Perhaps the powers that be will realize, seeing the influx of Cuban cigars into Chicago over a two week period, the potential for tax revenue that can be generated, and might be a small push toward ending the embargo for economic gain?

docdoty
12-07-2010, 11:43 PM
Perhaps the powers that be will realize, seeing the influx of Cuban cigars into Chicago over a two week period, the potential for tax revenue that can be generated, and might be a small push toward ending the embargo for economic gain?

I sure hope that's what happens, Tom.

mariogolbee
12-07-2010, 11:44 PM
Perhaps.

Bill86
12-07-2010, 11:50 PM

We can only hope.....we can only hope.

icehog3
12-08-2010, 12:04 AM
Perhaps.

I know it is a BIG stretch....but I am hoping to bring some calm to the panicking masses.

T.G
12-08-2010, 02:14 AM
I know it is a BIG stretch....but I am hoping to bring some calm to the panicking masses.

Very big...

Educator
12-08-2010, 02:33 AM
What happened in the late '80s and early mid '90s was great for the industry as a whole but it hit a ton of us right in the can. Really good cigars were cheap...but then it became the 'in' thing to do and like T.G. said, you could roll up floor sweepings and they would smoke it saying it's the best thing they ever had just because they paid a lot of money for it.
The bad that came out of it were high cigar prices...initially cutting the 'everyman' out.
The good, of course, is that it increased tobacco production...it got more blenders and makers into the market and increased the number of quality cigars in the market.
The events I see unfolding with the cigar prices having leveled off some...more makers trying to bring a good $4-$5 stick to market...more boutique blends...a boom? I don't know...But it's a good time to be a cigar smoker.

mariogolbee
12-08-2010, 02:49 AM

Tom, you have soothed this savage beast.;)

jledou
12-08-2010, 04:26 AM
Not necessarily a boom right now but the trend to produce one or more new blends each year until you have too many to control seams to be the current issue. It looks like it may be sorting itself out and more are doing short runs or limited production runs each year while maintaining a couple of core lines.

68TriShield
12-08-2010, 04:33 AM

It's possible Tom but that will bring challenges for the Cuban producers imo.

Bunker
12-08-2010, 04:51 AM
I think another small contributor could be all the talk of taxing pipe tobacco the same as cigarette tobacco (to get all those scofflaw roll-your-own guy using pipe tobacco in their cigarettes).

One of the attractions of the pipe, at least for me, is the cost savings compared to smoking 2-3 cigars a day.

Yes, I do enjoy Stonehaven but given the choise if eventhing else is equal I would still rather smoke a cigar.

Blueface
12-08-2010, 05:23 AM

:r
Was thinking the very same.

Padron is going to love my wallet all over again.

RevSmoke
12-08-2010, 05:32 AM
So, what have I missed that leads you all to think there will be another boom? What cigar events are these?

Lived through the first one, saw the prices rise and then fall a little bit, but nowhere near where they were previously - they are nearly doubled where they were pre-boom.

If that happens again, I may give up cigars altogether.

longknocker
12-08-2010, 05:48 AM
So, what have I missed that leads you all to think there will be another boom? What cigar events are these?

Lived through the first one, saw the prices rise and then fall a little bit, but nowhere near where they were previously - they are nearly doubled where they were pre-boom.

Don't Do That, Todd!:sad

landhoney
12-08-2010, 08:00 AM

I sure hope that's what happens, Tom.

We can only hope.....we can only hope.

And then they'll tax a bit more, and a bit more, and a bit more, and then we'll all be smoking $20 Parti Shorts.....and then back to smuggling. :r

BloodSpite
12-08-2010, 08:08 AM

I'm with you sadly. With 3 gas, rising cost on everything currently cigars are a *affordable* hobby/pleasure. If the price goes up, the cost associated greatly reduces the pleasure value, at least that's my view from the cheap seats ;)
Posted via Mobile Device

Mugen910
12-08-2010, 08:37 AM
Opening Cuba will certainly almost have to be a part of it.

I disagree...I think Dan's theory of having the combo of social and economic situations will make the big difference. If there is another boom it will have to stem from a surplus $ and how the job market is imho.

I concur.

dannysguitar
12-08-2010, 09:42 AM
Interesting thread. I don't know what to think...

icehog3
12-08-2010, 10:21 AM
Very big...

That's why I capitalized it. ;)

Tom, you have soothed this savage beast.;)

My work here is done! :wo

T.G
12-08-2010, 10:31 AM
That's why I capitalized it. ;)

Si senior Hog.

icehog3
12-08-2010, 10:43 AM
Si senior Hog.

Es la verdad!!

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa73/icehog3/senorhog.jpg

OLS
12-08-2010, 01:40 PM

I think it's sure booming at O'Hare this week. That's a herf I'd like to be at. We ned to do like those prison break
type movies where the truck get's knocked off halfway to the incinerator. I'm in, Tom's got the car, I have the
knockout gas.

icehog3
12-08-2010, 02:53 PM
I think it's sure booming at O'Hare this week. That's a herf I'd like to be at. We ned to do like those prison break
type movies where the truck get's knocked off halfway to the incinerator. I'm in, Tom's got the car, I have the
knockout gas.

Initiate countdown......

It's 16 miles to Chicago. Brad and I got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses.

Hit it.

68TriShield
12-08-2010, 03:11 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHa_jqxnn4o

:D

Bill86
12-08-2010, 03:13 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHa_jqxnn4o

:D

:tu :tu

EPIC movie. Great scene.

gvarsity
12-08-2010, 03:24 PM

Unfortunately opening Cuba is not about money it's about ideology and mobilized political groups which leads to real money as in campaign donations which trump tax revenues for most politicians. As long as Cuba is communist and the wealthy exiled Cubans are active in Republican politics it will be hard to sell much beyond limited relaxing of rules regarding Cuba. Maybe humanitarian aid and increased travel but unlikely they are going to open up to their only real export. We'll see but I would be surprised if it happened any time soon.

I think it is clear that if not a boom we are in a golden period for NC cigars. The number of new boutique brands bringing quality product with a whole variety of innovations and rediscovered traditions being released indicates real growth particularly considering the poor economy. It seems like it is more tobacco people with good product than people trying get on a trend make a quick buck with marketing like in the 90's.

I think the lack of taxation on internet purchases and the inherent dangers of states trying enforce sales tax make quality cigars much more affordable which is contributing the increase in cigar purchases. It is also unfortunately contributing to the demise of many B&M's. I don't know of a single B&M in my area that is not also selling wine & beer or something else other than tobacco besides a couple of outlet kinds of places.

icehog3
12-08-2010, 03:34 PM
Unfortunately opening Cuba is not about money it's about ideology and mobilized political groups which leads to real money as in campaign donations which trump tax revenues for most politicians. As long as Cuba is communist and the wealthy exiled Cubans are active in Republican politics it will be hard to sell much beyond limited relaxing of rules regarding Cuba. Maybe humanitarian aid and increased travel but unlikely they are going to open up to their only real export. We'll see but I would be surprised if it happened any time soon.

I think it is clear that if not a boom we are in a golden period for NC cigars. The number of new boutique brands bringing quality product with a whole variety of innovations and rediscovered traditions being released indicates real growth particularly considering the poor economy. It seems like it is more tobacco people with good product than people trying get on a trend make a quick buck with marketing like in the 90's.

I think the lack of taxation on internet purchases and the inherent dangers of states trying enforce sales tax make quality cigars much more affordable which is contributing the increase in cigar purchases. It is also unfortunately contributing to the demise of many B&M's. I don't know of a single B&M in my area that is not also selling wine & beer or something else other than tobacco besides a couple of outlet kinds of places.

Agree with you on most all of it. The "tax revenue" idea was more tongue-in-cheek than anything. We were just discussing at breakfast how powerful the expatriate lobby was, how such a small group percentage wise wields such a powerful influence.

SNKBYT
12-08-2010, 04:15 PM
just saw the news clip about the O'Hare CC seizures (insert crying smiley here)

gvarsity
12-09-2010, 12:43 PM
Agree with you on most all of it. The "tax revenue" idea was more tongue-in-cheek than anything. We were just discussing at breakfast how powerful the expatriate lobby was, how such a small group percentage wise wields such a powerful influence.

It is amazing. Can't be more than 10-15 thousand core expats. Shows what you can do when you have money and are well connected and very focused.

It is a crazy tight community. I spent a week in Miami in the early 90's with a buddy of mine from college who's family was part of that community. All handshakes and backroom deals. I did get to meet the elder Padron son at the Padron Little Havana factory again via the side door. :) Got a bunch of X000 maduros for a buck a stick after watching the torceador roll em up.

Dunkel
12-09-2010, 12:57 PM
It's possible Tom but that will bring challenges for the Cuban producers imo.

Yep, challenges like making cigars that aren't so hard to draw, or have wrappers that look like they were drug through a knothole. (Ducking to avoid being pelted by rotten tomatoes thrown by CC fanboys) ;)

icehog3
12-09-2010, 01:25 PM
Yep, challenges like making cigars that aren't so hard to draw, or have wrappers that look like they were drug through a knothole. (Ducking to avoid being pelted by rotten tomatoes thrown by CC fanboys) ;)

And maybe they can make some cigars that taste like black pepper and ass for $15 apiece too! :rolleyes: