PDA

View Full Version : Cigar of month?

CoreyD
12-07-2010, 01:16 PM
So here I sit falling down this slope of a hobby and wondered hmm should I get into a cigar of month club, who has best price and best random month cigars offered. So anyone ever join a cigar of month club and have great reviews on 1?Figured this would be a great way to play with my pallet.Was thinking of walking into My local B&M and seeing if he offers one. Great way to support a community.

Bill86
12-07-2010, 01:16 PM
No, from everything I've read and heard they send you crap for the $$$ you pay.

Volusianator
12-07-2010, 01:17 PM
So here I sit falling down this slope of a hobby and wondered hmm should I get into a cigar of month club, who has best price and best random month cigars offered. So anyone ever join a cigar of month club and have great reviews on 1?Figured this would be a great way to play with my pallet.Was thinking of walking into My local B&M and seeing if he offers one. Great way to support a community.
Corey if you have more money than brains, yes, join a cigar of the month club.

macsauce13
12-07-2010, 01:19 PM
No, from everything I've read and heard they send you crap for the $$$ you pay.

+1

CoreyD
12-07-2010, 01:23 PM
Corey if you have more money than brains, yes, join a cigar of the month club.

lol no wade, I do not that is why it was a question,and not an instantaction. I am sure I am not the first Noob to ponder these roads as I walk down the road of this hobby. we can always sweet talk bob into 1 or a private wade collection cigar of month club hehe just thinking of ways to broaden that pallet on things i wouldn't usually chase, without making a hmm list cause that would be to big or the constant here an there samplers. Speaking of trying something you know my taste and price range and I love it when you work, cause you help me out lots when do i get my great customer service again?

jledou
12-07-2010, 01:34 PM
Probably would be better just going to pick up 5 random sticks or spend a set amount at a B&M once a month. Put it on the calendar and make it a night/lunch/afternoon out. Just make sure you haven't tried any of the sticks before and you will be exposed to new flavors/tastes. Another way to do it is start on the left or right side of the humidor and work your way across trying each stick that you haven't yet.

GolfNut
12-07-2010, 01:40 PM
I was in the CI 8/mo club for over a year (mainly because it was so dang hard to get them to cancel it!) and it was a huge waste of money!

I highly recommend setting aside an amount and just buying your own 5'ers each month. Don't bother with the clubs.

Bunker
12-07-2010, 01:41 PM
Better buying samplers with at least a couple of sticks you know, cigar of the month seems like a good way for retailers to get rid of their dog rockets

Volusianator
12-07-2010, 01:41 PM
lol no wade, I do not that is why it was a question,and not an instantaction. I am sure I am not the first Noob to ponder these roads as I walk down the road of this hobby. we can always sweet talk bob into 1 or a private wade collection cigar of month club hehe just thinking of ways to broaden that pallet on things i wouldn't usually chase, without making a hmm list cause that would be to big or the constant here an there samplers. Speaking of trying something you know my taste and price range and I love it when you work, cause you help me out lots when do i get my great customer service again?

Friday night, 6-1!

maninblack
12-07-2010, 01:45 PM
Don't do it brother! Its a way for cigar companies to get rid of their overstock and crappy cigars. Waste of money!

CRIMPS
12-07-2010, 02:15 PM
Just watch the WTS forum for good deals.

CoreyD
12-07-2010, 02:20 PM
thats what I have been doin, waiting for a desktop to arise,I may have bigger eyes than space in next 4 months if I keep up my purchases.

T.G
12-07-2010, 02:41 PM
From what I've seen of them, the cigar of the month club memberships are nice things to give the occasional and undiversified cigar smoker as gift. Like that uncle who lives 1500 miles away, plays golf twice a month and that's the only time he smokes a cigar and always buys them from the meager selection offered at the pro shop so he doesn't really know what else is out there.

I would think that a more serious hobbyist would probably outgrow what the club offers within a few months.

Ol' Times Cigars
12-07-2010, 04:18 PM
Thanks for posting the question I was wondering the same thing but from a retailer stand point. Was playing with the idea of starting one for our site but looks like my effort would be better spent on putting samplers together.

Kreth
12-07-2010, 04:22 PM
I am sure I am not the first Noob to ponder these roads as I walk down the road of this hobby
If only one of those other noobs had left a thread behind like this one... ;)
Posted via Mobile Device

RevSmoke
12-07-2010, 04:37 PM
Do not, I repeat, Do not join a ciar of the month club.

RevSmoke
12-07-2010, 04:37 PM
If you want, we can do some box splits - but they will be deals on things I already know that I like.

longknocker
12-07-2010, 04:41 PM

:tu Great Buys On Great Sticks!:)

E.J.
12-07-2010, 04:48 PM

I have suggested it before and will again.

IMO, if you want to try some nice sticks without knowing what to buy....go on the WTB forum and say you are looking for a sampler for $$$ and wait for the PM's.

Chances are that you will be rewarded with nice selections that may even come with some personal thoughts on each stick. You will also, unlike a Cigar of the Month Club, most likely get sticks worth more than you will pay. Not talking MSRP, but real costs. (sometimes I smile at what value some samplers are listed at)

Depending on how vast of selection is offered at your local B&M, it may also open up a variety of brands or sizes that are not offered at your B&M.

Anyway, just a thought....

Ranger_B
12-07-2010, 06:10 PM
I was given two as gifts and they where a complete waste of those peoples money. I signed up for one that is no longer around that worked out pretty good. I would just go to some good retailers and get some samplers. I see you are already working through the NST so the next suggestion is as others have mentioned check out the WTS/WTT for blind samplers.

flybum62
12-08-2010, 04:19 AM
Dont do it bro, save the $ and go to a b&m and spend it on someting that you like.