PDA

View Full Version : Question for an electrician/person who is handy

MikeyC
12-02-2010, 04:26 PM
So, I've been living in the same condo for the last 2+ years and during that time I've been using the same electric (yuck) BBQ on my deck the whole time. The outlet I plug the BBQ into on the deck is connected to a GFCI outlet in my guest bathroom (the master bath outlets are also connected to the same GFCI switch). Starting about a month ago, whenever I would use my BBQ the GFCI switch would trip. It doesn't trip right away. It trips after the BBQ has been on for a few minutes.

The building is almost 30 years old. So, I decided to start replacing some pieces to see if that would help. First, I tried changing the extension chord I was using with my BBQ. No change. Next I tried replacing the GFCI outlet. That didn't make a difference. Tonight, I tried replacing the outlet on the deck. However, the GFCI trips. I also tried unplugging everything in the bathrooms while running the BBQ, but still no luck.

The good news is I've got a new GFCI outlet, a new extension chord, and a new outlet on my deck. The bad news is that my BBQ still doesn't work. Logic would dictate that the problem is either with the wire inside the wall or with the BBQ. As I'm no electrician, I thought I would solicit opinions to see if anyone had any other ideas before I buy a new BBQ or have an electrician rip open the walls of my home.

Thaplumbr
12-02-2010, 04:29 PM
Im betting on the grill, GFCI's are designed to trip for a reason..:2

GTsetGO
12-02-2010, 04:32 PM
i would tend to agree with ^^^^^

check the cord and anything you might be able to see on the grille

kydsid
12-02-2010, 04:41 PM
Connected to the bathroom? As in on the same breaker? Or wired in line/series? If they were wired in series any GFCI's in the circuit path could be causing the problem. Which creates the headache of tracking it down. If they are wired in parallel this wouldn't be the case and the fault would be the BBQ. Check the outlets to make sure they are wired in parallel. If it was jerry rigged it might be in series. A house should always be parallel IMO, but I have seen weird stuff done by homeowners. Coat hangers to hand 80lb flourescent light fixtures comes to mind.

Not my pic but works to show what I mean :D

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c313/JLMCDANIEL/STUFF/lights.jpg

MikeyC
12-02-2010, 06:10 PM
I'm not sure how the outlets are wired (series/parallel). However, this setup was working without issue for 2+ years. So, I'm thinking something must have recently changed to cause the issue.

On a side note, since the problem started I've been plugging the BBQ into an inside outlet. It works fine except if I have my TV on which is on the same circuit. If both the TV and BBQ are plugging in and running the breaker trips.

alley00p
12-02-2010, 06:34 PM
Mike,

I need something clarified in your explanation...

When you say the breaker trips, do you mean the circuit box breaker, or the GFCI? And what is the breaker rated at (15 or 20 amps)? How many amps does the BBQ require to operate?

I'm no expert, by any means, but when I built my new garage and wired it for electricity. I installed 2 separate 20 amp circuits, each protected by a GFCI. My GFCI was installed as the last receptacle in the line of 12 outlets. Only the last outlet is a GFCI. but all of the outlets are protected by that unit.

I was curious if the GFCI you are referring to is an outlet type (with a reset and test button) or if the GFCI is located in your circuit breaker box.

Charlie

Hey BTW, how have you've been?

SvilleKid
12-02-2010, 06:55 PM
OK, first off, what is the BBQ rated in terms of amps? Most 110 volt elect. heaters and small appliances generally don't run over 1500 watts and 10-12 amps, which will usually run on a 15 amp (14 gauge wiring), if not much more is pulling from that circuit. Sounds like there was too much on the first circuit to start with!!. If the TV is the only thing on the other circuit, and the BBQ is tripping that breaker, I'd say you have a problem with the BBQ, especially since TV's and most electronics pull very low amps! Circuits in bathrooms and kitchens most often are 20 amp, with 12 gauge wiring, because things like hair dryers, toaster ovens and the like pull more amps than lamps and TVs. Thus, your TV is probably on a 15 amp breaker, and less likely to handle a large load. But, it should handle the TV and a BBQ, unless the BBQ is having issues. That why I think you might be prepared to replace the BBQ.

If you have a GFI breaker and/or plug in a circuit, and it trips more than two or three times, you might as well plan on replacing the GFI. It will be shot, regardless. Just my experience.

BTW, I'm NOT an electrician, but my BIL is a master Electrician, and I often help him on side jobs, including whole house wiring jobs.

RGD.
12-02-2010, 09:48 PM
. . . I think you might be prepared to replace the BBQ.

Agreed.

If you have a GFI breaker and/or plug in a circuit, and it trips more than two or three times, you might as well plan on replacing the GFI.

Agreed.

. . . if anyone had any other ideas before I buy a new BBQ or have an electrician rip open the walls of my home.

You don't need to rip open any walls. Through normal use the BBQ heating element changes it's resistance which means it draws more amps and eventually sets off the GFI.

Your bathroom and hence the outside outlet is wired at 15 amps. Try plugging the BBQ into a 20 amp circuit and see what happens. I'm assuming since you are using an extension cord that the cord from the BBQ isn't long enough - so - try using the shortest extension cord that you can find and make sure that it is made from 12 gauge wire and not 14. I have seen extension cords labeled "Heavy Duty" in Home Depot and Lowes that are made from 14 gauge. That's not a heavy duty cord in my opinion. Appliance cords are normally 12 gauge and come in 6 - 8 and 12 foot lengths.

Good luck with it -

Ron

MikeyC
12-04-2010, 07:23 PM
Well, I bought a new BBQ today at Lowe's. I plugged it in and let it run a while and it never tripped the GFCI. I'm annoyed that I had to replace a BBQ that lives on a covered patio after only 2 years, but the upside is the new model seems much better built and has some features that I feel are a nice improvement.

Hey BTW, how have you've been?

Hey Charlie! I'm doing well. I just had a son and he's one month old as of tomorrow. Being a dad is great, but of course is a lot of work as well. Work keeps me busy as well and it seems assembling BBQs are now a drain on my time as well. :)

You don't need to rip open any walls. Through normal use the BBQ heating element changes it's resistance which means it draws more amps and eventually sets off the GFI.

Ron,

It sounds like you're saying by nature electric BBQ's have a limited life expectancy. Just another reason to hate electric BBQs I guess. Hopefully, I'll be moving into a single family home before this new one craps out. Then I can get a gas grill and a charcoal smoker! :noon