PDA

View Full Version : computer + speakers = ???

AAlmeter
11-11-2008, 06:58 PM
I have a set of older Altec Lansing speakers. 4 of 'em plus a subwoofer. I think 2 work. Sounds good enough to me.

I am, however, planning on swiping them from my tower and running them off my laptop.

What do I need to do this?

Is it worth it?

Keep in mind that for the foreseeable future this laptop will be my sole computer, so Im looking for OK sound at a cheap price.

Suggest away inmates.....

Mucho danke!

poker
11-11-2008, 07:11 PM
I doubt it will work, but you can try. Many desktop speakers w/sub use a built in amp in the sub to drive the sats. You can try to plug them into either the headphone jack or speaker out jack (if available) and see what happens.

The problem is the headphone jack only puts out so much power, and external speakers usually require more than a laptop audio output jack can put out.

This is all speculation though as Im not familiar with your laptop or jacks available, or your speakers for that matter.

Ace$nyper
11-11-2008, 07:21 PM
What kind of lap top?

Can you get the model of the speakers?

Poker is right on a lot of laptops yet strangely not all, the head phone jack offers only a bit of power. Most speakers that have an extra power system will be ok.

I run a Klipsch 2.1 pro logic THX setup fro my laptop with 0 problems.

AAlmeter
11-11-2008, 07:35 PM
I have a Sony Vaio...nothing special. I cannot give a model on the speakers at this time, but they are nothing special either. They used four cords coming from the sound card going to the amp/sub combo, and then to the speakers.

Is there any way I can get decent sound out of the laptop using only what I have available as output (headphone, USB, etc)?

poker
11-11-2008, 07:59 PM
dosent sound like it Im afraid. The sub is what is powering the sats it sounds like.

Lee
11-11-2008, 09:00 PM
Altec Lansings usually have a power supply in one speaker and a satellite speaker. The subwoofer has a separate power supply. If the speaker set you are using has a power cord then they will work from the laptop.

OHMatt
11-11-2008, 09:10 PM
Most computer speakers use a standard mini headphone (aka 3.5mm, aka 1/8") jack to get a stereo signal in. The fact you have 4 speakers and a sub puts a slight wrench in the mix but I am betting you still require only stereo input.

Power is not a factor; any amplified computer speaker requires a low level, preout signal. If an amplified or "more power" signal was sent to self powered speakers, horrible distortion could result.

My opinion is that they will work just fine; plug them into the headphone jack. If you speakers have volume control on them, set the volume in your operating system pretty low to mid (say 2-25 with the little speaker icon in the system tray if you are using windows) and use the volume controls on the speakers themselves. The more "power" you send in the pre-out, the higher the amount of distortion you will amplify with the computer speakers.

Of course your question of "decent sound" is relative.... I would probably use a USB DAC and then send the signal to a passive preamp and a small class T amplifier. Output from the Class T would go to a pair of custom horns each with a single fullrange driver such a a HiVi or TB 3". :-)

Hope this helps,
-Matt-
(Big Flamer and audio nerd)

Ace$nyper
11-12-2008, 01:20 AM
Most computer speakers use a standard mini headphone (aka 3.5mm, aka 1/8") jack to get a stereo signal in. The fact you have 4 speakers and a sub puts a slight wrench in the mix but I am betting you still require only stereo input.

Power is not a factor; any amplified computer speaker requires a low level, preout signal. If an amplified or "more power" signal was sent to self powered speakers, horrible distortion could result.

My opinion is that they will work just fine; plug them into the headphone jack. If you speakers have volume control on them, set the volume in your operating system pretty low to mid (say 2-25 with the little speaker icon in the system tray if you are using windows) and use the volume controls on the speakers themselves. The more "power" you send in the pre-out, the higher the amount of distortion you will amplify with the computer speakers.

Of course your question of "decent sound" is relative.... I would probably use a USB DAC and then send the signal to a passive preamp and a small class T amplifier. Output from the Class T would go to a pair of custom horns each with a single fullrange driver such a a HiVi or TB 3". :-)

Hope this helps,
-Matt-
(Big Flamer and audio nerd)
I just goofed around with my setup and this helped.

Thanks Matt:tu

Mark C
11-12-2008, 06:20 AM
Try it out, can't hurt anything.

I think you'll be fine. Connect the laptop to the subwoofer, and the subwoofer to your speakers. Power supply/amp in the sub ought to negate the poor headphone output. Not very mobile, but should do the trick.

Or get a good pair of headphones :D