PDA

View Full Version : Looks like gumbo this weekend

OLS
12-02-2010, 06:46 AM
I went to Kroger and got suckered in by the manager's special....a BIG OL PACK of meat, just 53 cents.
But of course it was chicken backs. A chicken has a lot of meat, but not on it's back, lol. But I have a
pack of LA Andouille Sausage and those CBs so it looks like Gumbo this weekend. I bought a
crapload of turkey wing drumettes, too. Looks like the perfect smoked food. Can't wait to get
cooking tomorrow night. Might make the gumbo tonight. Yumbo.

BigAsh
12-02-2010, 10:57 AM
Love me some gumbo....dark, rich roux...:dr:dr

markem
12-02-2010, 10:58 AM
I'm one who believes that it isn't gumbo without good okra. We only get okra up here in Jan/Feb for some reason (fresh, anyway), so I'm limited to when I can make it.

Smokin Gator
12-02-2010, 02:50 PM
Love me some gumbo....dark, rich roux...:dr:dr

I'm one who believes that it isn't gumbo without good okra. We only get okra up here in Jan/Feb for some reason (fresh, anyway), so I'm limited to when I can make it.

As if I had spoken it myself... but I do freeze a bunch of okra in the summer so I can make it in the winter. My favorite is crab and shrimp gumbo.

Scothew
12-02-2010, 04:05 PM
As if I had spoken it myself... but I do freeze a bunch of okra in the summer so I can make it in the winter. My favorite is crab and shrimp gumbo.

throw in some crawfish for good measure? sounds awesome though!

Chainsaw13
12-02-2010, 04:05 PM
I know what's on tap for my Sunday dinner. :tu

BigAsh
12-03-2010, 01:55 PM

Yep same here.....after I buy the frozen okra at the supermarket, I go home and freeze it....not a lot of sources for fresh okra up here...:D

rizzle
12-03-2010, 02:41 PM
I'm feeling ya. I was just telling my wife I need to get some gumbo brewing.

OLS
12-03-2010, 04:25 PM
Well, she cooked up good. Found I had nothing but bloomin' onions in the crisper. They had developed the little shoots inside
and they were really not usable, except for people like me that had only that. THEN found I had no flour for my roux.
Well the gumbo gods were smiling, I remembered cooking too much roux last time, and so I took that out of the fridge
and proceeded. I had a half a bag of okries in the freezer, and a three stick pack of andouille. Game on. Pic made, lol.
Nice piece of back cartilage, lol. Actually I think that must be from the breast section.....somehow.

M1903A1
12-03-2010, 05:30 PM
Nice! I can't recall the last time I had gumbo....

Smokin Gator
12-04-2010, 05:29 AM
I'd hit that!!!

Powers
12-04-2010, 09:37 AM
:dr That looks awesome bro!

My favorite gumbo experience was the last time I went to the UF v LSU game at Baton Rogue in '09. Met some nice Cajuns that invited us to eat with them. Enjoyed some AMAZING gumbo w/fresh french bread to dip in it!

OLS
12-04-2010, 05:57 PM
MMM, I DO like me some crisped-crust french bread to dunk in my gumbo. Problem with this one is that
if you cook it right, the bones from the back just disintegrate into a hundred smaller bones. Makes
for a slow and careful eating experience. But man is it thick and rich that way.

forgop
12-04-2010, 06:37 PM
This thread is worthless without a recipe. ;)

I've never made gumbo and only had it a couple of times.

OLS
12-06-2010, 01:49 PM
PM sent...something about the search function, lol. ;)
The really great thing about this gumbo is the fact that the crappy meat purchase I made
was actually a good thing. The chicken bones are no fun to mess with, but they add something
that no thickening agent can. This gumbo is ULTRA rich because the bones give up SO much stuff
that you just don't get with your standard picky eaters gumbo, basically cut up chicken breasts.
I had to skim a good 3/4 inch of fat off the top once I cooled it in the fridge. But the good stuff
was still in the gumbo part beneath. SOOOO GOOD.

kaisersozei
12-06-2010, 03:42 PM
Looks like good stuff, Brad!

Every year on Black Friday I spend the day making my famous (to family & friends :tu) Turkey Bone Gumbo. It's basically Emeril Lagasse's recipe that you can find online, I've just doctored it up over the years. The secret is in the stock, as you point out--gotta use the whole bird carcass, the meat alone isn't good enough!

My kids think the only reason we have Thanksgiving dinner is to get the turkey carcass so dad can make gumbo!

OLS
12-07-2010, 07:18 AM
One of the best things about being a bachelor is I get to eat the whole thing, lol. I had two bowls last night.
I am thinking about going to the supermercado today at lunch and getting some okra and cutting a bunch
up for the...oh wait. I have no freezer space. Never mind.