PDA

View Full Version : thoughts on the Davidoff Grand Cru No. 3?

TheFool
11-30-2010, 09:22 PM
I have a couple old friends stopping by for the holiday season. We're all interested in cigars, but none of us are even near experts. Anyways, I thought a nice and fun present would be to get 3 nicer cigars and spend an afternoon catching up. After doing a little research I came across this review: http://www.stogieguys.com/2006/08/stogie-reviews-davidoff-grand-cru-no-3.html
I can get 3 for around 35-40$ on cigar.com
Has anyone had this particular cigar? Would this be a good selection for 3 newbie cigar aficionados?

Much thanks.

papajohn67
11-30-2010, 10:17 PM
I have a couple old friends stopping by for the holiday season. We're all interested in cigars, but none of us are even near experts. Anyways, I thought a nice and fun present would be to get 3 nicer cigars and spend an afternoon catching up. After doing a little research I came across this review: http://www.stogieguys.com/2006/08/stogie-reviews-davidoff-grand-cru-no-3.html
I can get 3 for around 35-40$ on cigar.com
Has anyone had this particular cigar? Would this be a good selection for 3 newbie cigar aficionados?

Much thanks.

I'm a huge Davidoff fan, that being said I'd suggest you forget the Davidoff's and search out something else. Perhaps a nice PAM 64. Just my :2

TheFool
11-30-2010, 10:51 PM
I'm a huge Davidoff fan, that being said I'd suggest you forget the Davidoff's and search out something else. Perhaps a nice PAM 64. Just my :2

Any particular reason? Both for that selection and not the Davidoff?

Ismith75
11-30-2010, 10:54 PM
Davidoff's are a good celebratory cigar but I'm with papajohn. There are a ton of great cigars in that price range.

Bill86
11-30-2010, 10:57 PM
You can score the PAM 64's starting at $7.75. There's a reason :tu

Ismith75
11-30-2010, 11:05 PM
Check your B&M for holiday specials, a lot of them seem to put out their stock of Opus' and Anejo's around this time. Can't go wrong with a VSG or San Cristobal either and you can probably get em for a little cheaper than the Davidoff's.

papajohn67
11-30-2010, 11:08 PM
Any particular reason? Both for that selection and not the Davidoff?

IMHO Davidoff's for many are an acquired taste, something that comes down the road a bit. I know that may sound snobbish but at their price point it could be quite a disappointment. Oh hell any cigar can let someone down but you really did not let people know which way the wind blows when it comes to "your" tastes in cigars. I could think of a ton of high end cigars that would or could make one smile including the Grand Cru but I've had many a BOTL wonder what's wrong with me when it comes to my fondness towards the entire Davidoff/Avo/Winston Churchill line of cigars.

As for Padrons, well again IMHO they are a damn fine cigar.

papajohn67
11-30-2010, 11:10 PM
Check your B&M for holiday specials, a lot of them seem to put out their stock of Opus' and Anejo's around this time. Can't go wrong with a VSG or San Cristobal either and you can probably get em for a little cheaper than the Davidoff's.

VSG's...Corona Gorda. :tu

Ismith75
11-30-2010, 11:13 PM
VSG's...Corona Gorda. :tu
Corona Gorda and Illusion sizes are the best :xxx

TheFool
12-01-2010, 05:48 PM

Assuming a B&M is a smoke shop, I regret to inform you that the town I live in doesn't have a real smoke shop or place for cigars. There are one or two places that sell some cigars as an afterthought and I'm working on getting a list of what they do have so I can do a little research etc.

TheFool
12-01-2010, 05:52 PM
you really did not let people know which way the wind blows when it comes to "your" tastes in cigars.

Sorry about that, I'm really just starting out in the cigar world. I've had basically two cigars, the nicer one being an Ashton Cabinet, which I really enjoyed and has gotten me interested in culturing myself in cigars. That's all I can really give you as far as my personal taste. As for my two friends I don't know how much they really know about cigars, they've probably smoked a couple more than me, but I don't think they look into their selection that much.

hammondc
12-01-2010, 05:53 PM
You can score the PAM 64's starting at $7.75. There's a reason :tu

Where? I am in the market.

Bill86
12-01-2010, 06:00 PM
Where? I am in the market.

Cigarsatyourprice.com the small Principe's are $7.75. I just bid based on quarters at a time so my prices are accurate within 25 cents. Those are the like 4.5 X 46's or whatnot. Exclusivo/Monacras are $9.75 each. Torpedos $14 each, Imperials $13 each, Diplomatico $11.75 and the A's are $29.50

hammondc
12-01-2010, 07:24 PM
Damn good pricing. I will be checking that out.