PDA

View Full Version : Scotch nips

jmsremax
11-29-2010, 08:29 PM
I decided to stop in a local liquor store while home for Thanksgiving to pick up some wine and a bottle of Glenlivet. I asked someone who worked there if they had sampler size bottles of scotch and she said no but to check the nips. The section for scotch/whisky nips was decent in size, but rather bare. I asked if they usually get more and she told me it depends on the shipment. Just curious if your local liquor stores offer up a good variety of scotch nips or if it just isn't common practice. I would have bought a few nips if they had any on my list. Plus it's a lot cheaper buying a $3 nip than buying a bottle. The only ones my local store had were Glenlivet 12 year, JW Black, Dewars, Crown Royal, and Makers Mark.

n3uka
11-29-2010, 08:35 PM
Liquor store near me usually has a great selection of all types. I will have to check next time I'm in to see what they have. Looking for any particular?

jmsremax
11-29-2010, 08:52 PM
Really, that's upsetting that around here it isn't the same. I am just trying to expand my horizons.....I am still new to the world of scotch (single malts). I've only had Glenlivet 12 yr and Balvenie 12 yr.

Some of the ones I was hoping to find included Ardbeg, Glenfiddich, possibly Macallan (kind of a stretch), or any other "Glen" named scotch.

Bill86
11-29-2010, 08:56 PM
Wow really? I've got Glenlivet, The Macallan, Glenfiddich at every local store in 12/18 year. IMO The Macallan is my favorite scotch, I like the 12 year a great deal.

Crown is Canadian whiskey and Makers is Kentucky bourbon.

They only sell 375ml bottles here not sure what scotches they have in these smaller sizes. I think you would be hard pressed to find the good stuff in smaller bottles.

jmsremax
11-29-2010, 09:04 PM
You can find all those in nips, damn. I've been to quite a few stores in Boston and S. NH (Operated by the state of NH = all stores have the same price and selection) and the best luck I've had was when I was home this weekend and scored those two nips of scotch. I will try calling up some of the bigger shops that aren't in around here and see if they have a better selection and if so if they deliver. The one problem with Boston is small shops.

They got plenty of Barcadi and Smirnoff nips though :rolleyes:

Bill86
11-29-2010, 09:21 PM
You can find all those in nips, damn. I've been to quite a few stores in Boston and S. NH (Operated by the state of NH = all stores have the same price and selection) and the best luck I've had was when I was home this weekend and scored those two nips of scotch. I will try calling up some of the bigger shops that aren't in around here and see if they have a better selection and if so if they deliver. The one problem with Boston is small shops.

They got plenty of Barcadi and Smirnoff nips though :rolleyes:

Nope just regular and half sizes but I never checked for nips. I'd have to see I'm pretty sure I saw both Glens just not sure on The Macallan. But I do know we have all in full size bottles and all in half bottles the Macallan might be the except to halfs/nips.

n3uka
11-29-2010, 11:18 PM
Did a little search and found a couple good links to see what is out there:

Mission Liquor minis (http://www.missionliquor.com/Store/Qstore/Qstore.cgi?CMD=009&DEPT=000002&CAT=1048107529&BACK=A0007A1B0000002B1)

http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/C-395.aspx

btw: This is a must buy http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/P-3922.aspx :r

Usually hit the liquor store near work on Tuesdays. Will definitely check to see what they have.

mosesbotbol
11-30-2010, 05:55 AM
I am still new to the world of scotch (single malts). I've only had Glenlivet 12 yr and Balvenie 12 yr.

I thought Atlas Liquors in Quincy has a setup for tasting Scotch? Try the Oak Room in Copley Sq for if you want to just have a dram of Scotch. They're suppose to have a great selection at the bar.

Bunker
11-30-2010, 06:06 AM
They used to sell a nice Ballvenie sampler with about 6 different nips in t in NH, I thought I say a JW sampler too but it has been awhile since I made it up there.

Maybe Kappy's in Medford, they always had a decent selection.

jmsremax
11-30-2010, 06:29 AM
I thought Atlas Liquors in Quincy has a setup for tasting Scotch? Try the Oak Room in Copley Sq for if you want to just have a dram of Scotch. They're suppose to have a great selection at the bar.
Never been in Quincy....I will have to check this place out. I also remember you mentioning Oak Room, but more often than not when I am out I am not in the scotch mood.....

They used to sell a nice Ballvenie sampler with about 6 different nips in t in NH, I thought I say a JW sampler too but it has been awhile since I made it up there.

Maybe Kappy's in Medford, they always had a decent selection.

I typically see the JW sampler, but I have yet to come across teh Balvenie sampler. I will keep my eyes peeled.

Thanks for the links also. Here's to yet another interest/possible hobby :chr

hammondc
11-30-2010, 07:10 AM
is a 'Nip' the same as a mini-bottle?

mosesbotbol
11-30-2010, 07:27 AM
There has to be nice "world of Scotch" nips sets available. I had a Bowmore "cannister" that had 250's of like 8 different Scotch up to 21 years old that was super cheap.

Bill86
11-30-2010, 10:45 AM
is a 'Nip' the same as a mini-bottle?

Yeah those 1.5oz - 2oz small often plastic bottles.

eldondo
11-30-2010, 11:40 PM
That's not bad to have the chance to try some Whiskys.... luckily we have some Whisky fairs here in Switzerland and also in Germany, where you can try and buy Single Malts...

n3uka
12-07-2010, 08:44 AM
Finally made it to the shop near me. Not impressed with the scotch selection. They had JW red and black, Jameson, Dewars and 1 or 2 other low end nips. More tequila, vodka and rum than I cared to count.

Oh well, the search is on for a better store.

Bill86
12-07-2010, 12:34 PM
FYI Jameson isn't scotch, it is Irish whiskey. Thats disappointing though about all the lower end nips.

jmsremax
12-07-2010, 01:49 PM
sucks that you too are having issues.....

n3uka
12-07-2010, 10:19 PM
FYI Jameson isn't scotch, it is Irish whiskey.

Sad thing is I know that but it was a long day and my brain was fried.

mosesbotbol
12-08-2010, 10:34 AM
That's not bad to have the chance to try some Whiskys.... luckily we have some Whisky fairs here in Switzerland and also in Germany, where you can try and buy Single Malts...

We have had them in Boston as well, but I have never been to it.