PDA

View Full Version : My great room project-built-in recessed entertainmet center

forgop
11-22-2010, 05:28 PM
So, the hardwood floor is in and To make the best use of space, I'm going to build in an entertainment center in a closet and build shelving into the corner as well so the entire surface along the wall is flush.

I originally wanted to do something out of wood, but pricing for that approached $2500. I have a buddy that's going to help and this will be done out of drywall for less than $350 with him making most of it.

I already have the rear surrounds mounted and I will be adding 6 can lights into the room and changing the ceiling fan.

The system will have a 60" Mitsubishi TV, with Klipsch speakers all around, including my latest pick-up, which was a 12" Klipsch subwoofer for $100 on craigslist.

TonySmith
11-22-2010, 05:38 PM
The system will have a 60" Mitsubishi TV, with Klipsch speakers all around, including my latest pick-up, which was a 12" Klipsch subwoofer for $100 on craigslist.

I think you have chosen great speakers. Good luck with the project.

Chainsaw13
11-22-2010, 05:43 PM

:tu

Sancho Fuente
11-22-2010, 06:00 PM
Word of advice from me helping a buddy do this, make sure everything is movable fairly easily. There is nothing worse then needing to plug in a new PS3/Blu-Ray/Surround Sound processor and needing to break out the claw hammer and new molding to get to the plug since you thought the 'picture-frame' install looked nice.

+3 on the speakers by the way. :tu

forgop
11-22-2010, 06:45 PM
Word of advice from me helping a buddy do this, make sure everything is movable fairly easily. There is nothing worse then needing to plug in a new PS3/Blu-Ray/Surround Sound processor and needing to break out the claw hammer and new molding to get to the plug since you thought the 'picture-frame' install looked nice.

+3 on the speakers by the way. :tu

Yeah-

What I had in mind is leaving a gap for cords to pass through out of view. The closet depth is about 36", bit I'm only going to go back 18" deep so if I ever needed to get back there, I've got space to work. In a worse case scenario, I do have an attic wall behind all of it. :tu

forgop
11-22-2010, 06:48 PM

I'm using the same center channel I purchased in '93-the klipsch academy nthe fronts and rears are from their reference series. I love me some klipschorns, but I don't have the space/budget for them.

TonySmith
11-22-2010, 06:59 PM
I'm using the same center channel I purchased in '93-the klipsch academy nthe fronts and rears are from their reference series. I love me some klipschorns, but I don't have the space/budget for them.

I bought some original Hereseys when I was in the service. La Scala's were double the money, $500 each, wish I would have grabbed a couple

14holestogie
11-23-2010, 03:03 AM
I purchased the Klipsch Forte's 25 years ago and have never regretted it. Cost me a month's wages at the time. The cabinets have seen better days after sun bleaching and the like, but the sound has never disappointed. :tu

Chingas
11-23-2010, 04:36 AM
Sounds like an awesome project. Keep the pics coming!

forgop
11-24-2010, 07:30 PM
Here's what I tinkered around with today...drywall removal and started framing in the shelves on the left side.

I already decided to downgrade from a 12" sub to a 10" sub as I didn't want to make the bottom rack have to be 26" tall to fit it. I should have no problem getting rid of the sub and getting a different one.

I'm going to run through 2x4's a lot faster than I thought. :r

forgop
12-18-2010, 05:29 PM
Latest update...some finishing of the drywall and painting and it'll be done.

Ogre
12-18-2010, 05:32 PM
Damn, sweet job brother!

BigFrank
12-18-2010, 05:58 PM
Looking good. I love projects like that.