PDA

View Full Version : What's on the menu (food\drink\cigars)?

Bunker
11-22-2010, 07:51 AM
I have a 7-rib pork roast I will be coating with seasoned butter and slow roasting.

Mashed potatoes

Cornbread stuffing with cranberries and apple

Butternut squash

Apple and Pumpkin Pie (store bought, I cook but I don't bake)

A decent (not expensive) bottle of Pint Noir or maybe just Sam Adams

Padron 80th Maduro (part of an amazing bomb I receved from Smelvis).

What's everyone else eating\drinking\smoking on Thursday?

Martel
11-22-2010, 08:00 AM
That sounds good, Rick. I'd rather eat a pork roast than a turkey any time. We're just doing the standard bird. Not sure what I'm going to be smoking, but it'll be something huge so I can get away from my Mother-in-Law for the longest possible time. (This is not a joke.)

Cheers,
G

CigarNut
11-22-2010, 08:20 AM
Turkey with all the timmings, Don Julio Anejo tequila and a TBD cigar (depends upon what sticks I have available to me that day :D)

Subvet642
11-22-2010, 09:41 AM
-Roast turkey
-KFC gravy (everybody likes the Colonel’s gravy!)
-Mashed potatoes
-Cornbread dressing with sweet Italian sausage
-Turnip with sautéed onions and bacon
-Asparagus with Hollandaise sauce
-Baked brie in filo with caramelized onions
-Sangria

The In-Laws will bring the desert.

Smokes...probably something mild with the morning coffee (Don Diego or La Unica), and...I'm not sure what after dinner.

mariogolbee
11-22-2010, 09:51 AM
Natural range fed juicy as all hell turkey
Mashed potatoes
Broccoli and cheese
Biscuits
Stuffing

This will be my first time fixing Thanksgiving dinner since my mother just had her surgery. I've never done a turkey, but have helped with potatoes in the past. I need to figure out a cheese sauce for the broccoli. I make some killer biscuits and a killer pumpkin pie from scratch.

I don't know what I'll smoke, but my brother will be over. I always pull a pair something nice out to smoke with hum when he's here. Last year my sister in law's brother was down so we smoked T110's and a LFD Culebra. Good times...

68TriShield
11-22-2010, 09:58 AM
Turkey(rather eat Chicken)
Probably coffee(I work the next 2 days)
As far as cigars,I always smoke to my hearts content. :)

T.G
11-22-2010, 10:35 AM
Turkeyday is my traditional once a year trip to McDonald's!
(I would always use turkeyday as the day for major systems upgrades that would require lots of time and a network or systems blackout, stuff like swapping out disk arrays, core switches and major servers, since there would never be anyone else at work - and McDonalds was the closest place that was open...)

Now, whether or not I actually go there to get anything is another mater entirely.

Since I really don't need 16lbs of turkey, maybe I'll just make a pizza or smoke a rack of ribs.

As for cigars - just like any other day, I have no idea until I open one of the humidors or coolers and grab something.

This will be my first time fixing Thanksgiving dinner since my mother just had her surgery. I've never done a turkey, but have helped with potatoes in the past. I need to figure out a cheese sauce for the broccoli. I make some killer biscuits and a killer pumpkin pie from scratch.

Mario,

Alton Brown's recipe for turkey is the best I've ever found for oven based recipes:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/good-eats-roast-turkey-recipe/index.html

The longer the brining time the better.

As for the cheese sauce, think real cheeses, like Gorgonzola, Gruyère or Manchego or smoked cheeses... If you want to do smoked cheese, just give me a call, I can talk you through setting up a rig for less than $20 - typically you wouldn't use the cheese that soon after smoking, but I would think that because it's being melted the flavors will all meld in the pot, rather than needing weeks to permeate the block after it comes off the smoker.

:2

Sled Dog
11-22-2010, 10:39 AM
Turkey, Stuffing, Squash, Corn, Green Bean Casserole, Rolls, some kind of pasta dish, Mashed Potatoes, and Broccoli & Cheese.

Bringing a couple Padilla 1932s along (A good cigar, but my Dad's favorite) for my Dad & I.
My uncle is a Graycliff fan, I have 6 or 7 of those hanging out, so I think I'll just bring those all with as a gift to him.... i'm not a big Graycliff fan myself so I can purge the Humi while still looking thoughtful!!

Sled Dog
11-22-2010, 10:41 AM
As for the cheese sauce, think real cheeses, like Gorgonzola, Gruyère or Manchego or smoked cheeses... If you want to do smoked cheese, just give me a call, I can talk you through setting up a rig for less than $20 - typically you wouldn't use the cheese that soon after smoking, but I would think that because it's being melted the flavors will all meld in the pot, rather than needing weeks to permeate the block after it comes off the smoker.

:2

I was going to go with the Cheese Wiz suggestion with a touch of melted butter in it, but I like your suggestion better!!

mariogolbee
11-22-2010, 10:46 AM
Thanks Adam. This recipe looks pretty good. I may have to use it. As far as the cheese goes, I picked up a bag of finely shredded cheddar already. I would have grabbed something else but I was already left with $.55 when I left the store. Can I smoke shredded chedder?:confused: (You never know until you ask, right?)

Are you not going in for work this Thanksgiving after all?

pektel
11-22-2010, 11:06 AM
Well, since my mom is currently without kitchen, thanksgiving is at my house. But the beauty of it is, they bring everything over! Hopefully they will stick around to do the dishes too.

I REALLY wanted to find the new Summit pumpkin porter in time for thanksgiving, but I'm not having any luck. Gonna have to find a backup plan.

For after dinner smoke? Will totally depend on the weather outside. Wanted to try out the Opus X RDC, but that will take way too long if it's too cold outside. Probably just be a simple smoke like a Boli PC.

Subvet642
11-22-2010, 11:07 AM
Alton Brown's recipe for turkey is the best I've ever found for oven based recipes:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/good-eats-roast-turkey-recipe/index.html

Alton Brown is definately a go-to for recipes. He has an awesome one for duck.

T.G
11-22-2010, 11:12 AM
Thanks Adam. This recipe looks pretty good. I may have to use it. As far as the cheese goes, I picked up a bag of finely shredded cheddar already. I would have grabbed something else but I was already left with $.55 when I left the store. Can I smoke shredded chedder?:confused: (You never know until you ask, right?)

Are you not going in for work this Thanksgiving after all?

Which recipe? You didn't post a link...

I've never smoked shredded cheese, but I have smoked sliced cheese though and I can't imagine them being all that different. In a nutshell, it's tricky because you have so much surface area the cheese will absorb a _lot_ of smoke very quickly, giving you a very narrow time window between "not enough" "good" and "GACK!". Timing can be further complicated by how much smoke you are making; if you make a lot of smoke, your times get really short really quickly. On top of that, the cheese is thin so there isn't a lot of "padding" there to balance the flavor back, although for melting, this could easily dealt with by just reserving a part of the cheese and not smoking it.

If you are interested, I'm pretty sure I have a block of smoked pepper-jack in the refrigerator that I can send you. If I ship today, you'll have it tomorrow.

Blacking out the network was back in the days when I worked for Sun and LSI.

CRIMPS
11-22-2010, 11:13 AM
I am more of a Spiral Ham kinda guy. I like turkey and there is something about seeing a glazed, golden brown turkey on the table... but give me the pig over the bird. Oh, and a must have for both Turkey Day and Christmas Day... Sweet Potato Casserole with marshmellows and chopped pecans.

I will probably go with some spiced cider, iced tea, and maybe a good rootbeer (I don't drink).

I am planning on smoking a Fuente 858 Sungrown in the evening. I have been eying that stick for a week or two...

mariogolbee
11-22-2010, 11:24 AM
Adam, I was referring to the Alton Brown recipe you posted. Upon further investigation I wonder where this recipe would leave me as far as stuffing and gravy, though. I won't be able to use rosemary either since my sis-in-law is allergic to the stuff. It's a pity because we have a whole damned bush in the back yard.

If you can get me a block of your world famous smoked pepper jack before T-day I would love it. I would say I owe you one, but I would think you'd know by now that if I ever have anything you want it's yours. Thank you.

Subvet642
11-22-2010, 11:41 AM
Adam, I was referring to the Alton Brown recipe you posted. Upon further investigation I wonder where this recipe would leave me as far as stuffing and gravy, though. I won't be able to use rosemary either since my sis-in-law is allergic to the stuff. It's a pity because we have a whole damned bush in the back yard.

If you can get me a block of your world famous smoked pepper jack before T-day I would love it. I would say I owe you one, but I would think you'd know by now that if I ever have anything you want it's yours. Thank you.

You could just do the stuffing in a casserole dish; just remember to add about a cup or so of chicken broth/stock to replace the moisture it would have gotten from the bird. The gravy shouldn't be affected; but I always use KFC gravy.

T.G
11-22-2010, 11:49 AM

What's interesting is that if you catch the actual episode where he cooked that recipe, he was commenting on why he skipped the stuffing and gravy and it was simply because he was bored with stuffing and gravy because traditionally, everyone always does them so he went with a fresh cranberry sauce and sweet cornbread pudding instead.

I don't see any reason why you couldn't adapt that recipe to use stuffing that includes the aromatics and achieve a similar result. The cinnamon would be the only one I think you would need to be cautious with, as a whole stick in contact with the stuffing could possibly take over and dominate the flavor.

Even if you didn't use the aromatics in your stuffing, the brining and cooking method for the turkey could still be used and will still kick some major ass.

There's no shortage of drippings to make gravy from with the previously linked recipe either, again, he just commented that he didn't feel like doing that, partially because he already did it in a previous show. A search on "Alton Brown gravy" on food network should yield the recipe.

I'll be happy to send you a block (pretty sure I have one in the refrigerator - if not, I'll smoke one and send it fresh since it only takes 1-2 hours to smoke), just PM me your address.

PS: It'll just be cheese, I made the mistake of sending cheese and cigars once before, big mistake, the recipient ended up with cigars that smelled like they had been hickory smoked. oops.

mariogolbee
11-22-2010, 12:01 PM
What's interesting is that if you catch the actual episode where he cooked that recipe, he was commenting on why he skipped the stuffing and gravy and it was simply because he was bored with stuffing and gravy because traditionally, everyone always does them so he went with a fresh cranberry sauce and sweet cornbread pudding instead.

I don't see any reason why you couldn't adapt that recipe to use stuffing that includes the aromatics and achieve a similar result. The cinnamon would be the only one I think you would need to be cautious with, as a whole stick in contact with the stuffing could possibly take over and dominate the flavor.

Even if you didn't use the aromatics in your stuffing, the brining and cooking method for the turkey could still be used and will still kick some major ass.

There's no shortage of drippings to make gravy from with the previously linked recipe either, again, he just commented that he didn't feel like doing that, partially because he already did it in a previous show. A search on "Alton Brown gravy" on food network should yield the recipe.

I'll be happy to send you a block (pretty sure I have one in the refrigerator - if not, I'll smoke one and send it fresh since it only takes 1-2 hours to smoke), just PM me your address.

PS: It'll just be cheese, I made the mistake of sending cheese and cigars once before, big mistake, the recipient ended up with cigars that smelled like they had been hickory smoked. oops.
:r I wouldn't expect anything more than the cheese, Adam. Who knows though, a Dirty Rat that smells and tastes like cheese... we could be on to something here!:r

The cinnamon is my main concern. I think I can probably adapt this. I wonder if I can use lemon grass instead of rosemary.

CRIMPS
11-22-2010, 12:07 PM
Anyone deep frying a Turkey this year?

Bunker
11-22-2010, 12:11 PM
You could just do the stuffing in a casserole dish; just remember to add about a cup or so of chicken broth/stock to replace the moisture it would have gotten from the bird. The gravy shouldn't be affected; but I always use KFC gravy.

I like it better in a casserole myself, you have to have that almost-burnt crust on top. :dr

mariogolbee
11-22-2010, 12:15 PM
Casserole dish it is! I think I will use the Alton Brown recipe.

Subvet642
11-22-2010, 12:16 PM
I like it better in a casserole myself, you have to have that almost-burnt crust on top. :dr

I totally agree! Also, you can fit more stuffing in a casserole dish.

T.G
11-22-2010, 12:29 PM
:r I wouldn't expect anything more than the cheese, Adam. Who knows though, a Dirty Rat that smells and tastes like cheese... we could be on to something here!:r

The cinnamon is my main concern. I think I can probably adapt this. I wonder if I can use lemon grass instead of rosemary.

Yeah, like I said, that much cinnamon in the stuffing would probably not end well.

Darren brings up a very good idea in the use of a casserole dish for the stuffing, that way you get stuffing and get to use the aromatics.

Not sure if lemon grass would work or not as an aromatic, I will say though that the flavor imparted might not be totally complimentary with the rest of the flavors in the bird and will stand out rather than blending in.

If I were doing the substitutions, I would use fresh oregano in place of the rosemary, maybe some thyme in addition to the oregano.

mariogolbee
11-22-2010, 12:55 PM
Yeah, like I said, that much cinnamon in the stuffing would probably not end well.

Darren brings up a very good idea in the use of a casserole dish for the stuffing, that way you get stuffing and get to use the aromatics.

Not sure if lemon grass would work or not as an aromatic, I will say though that the flavor imparted might not be totally complimentary with the rest of the flavors in the bird and will stand out rather than blending in.

If I were doing the substitutions, I would use fresh oregano in place of the rosemary, maybe some thyme in addition to the oregano.
Perfect! I have tons of fresh oregano as well as some fresh thyme in the garden!

jkstewart1
11-22-2010, 01:43 PM
We'll have the typical too much food for too few people: Fresh smoked turkey, plain turkey breast, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes (more like a dessert than a side dish), green bean casserole, broccoli salad, dressing, gravy, rolls, butter, pumpkin pie, pecan pie, red and white wine, and a whole host of appetizers and snacks.

My wife's sister and brother in law are doing a run that morning in Indianapolis, so instead of being over here (central Illinois), we're taking it all to my in laws to produce the meal there. Fortunately, my folks live in the same town as my wife's and the sister/bro in law are just an hour away from there.

Should be a lot of work and a lot of fun.

Smoking: probably a couple of Padron x000 - my brother in law just got into cigars and I want to start him off on something good, but steady.

Sled Dog
11-23-2010, 08:23 AM
I need to stop checking this thread, it makes me too hungry

Sancho Fuente
11-23-2010, 03:06 PM
Deep fried Turkey :dr
the usual potatoes/yams/corn
a cranberry sauce my pops makes with orange peels and some other stuff, chunky, not like that canned stuff
cranberry muffins

probably some sort of wine with dinner, whatever my parents are drinking

haven't decided on a smoke yet, thinking a Padron 64, or maybe a Tatuaje Havana VI Verocu No. 2 (Exclusivo Zona del Este), or maybe a RyJ Petit Piramides E.L. 2005 . . .

Now my mouth is watering . . .

JDTexan
11-23-2010, 03:10 PM
We are sticking to a traditional Thanksgiving feast accompanied by a Behike 52. Going to be a great Thanksgiving and Go Cowboys!

RatherUneek
11-23-2010, 03:13 PM
Deep fried turkey with cajun rub, green bean casserole, stuffing with cranberries and suasage and mashed potatoes.

Bill86
11-23-2010, 03:36 PM
Lasagna and probably finishing off my bottle of Zacapa 23. As for cigars, hmmmm Opus X or a Viaje Exclusivo Robusto.