PDA

View Full Version : Brew Masters on Discovery Channel Tonight

Martel
11-21-2010, 03:35 PM
New beer show premieres on Discovery tonight... looks pretty good!

BREW MASTERS
Sundays at 10 PM E/P

About Brew Masters
It's cold, it's comforting, it's beer ... but for Sam Calagione, founder of one of America's leading craft brewers Dogfish Head Brewery, beer is a passion, a business and a personal quest for best, most imaginative brews. BREW MASTERS follows Sam and his partners in suds as they travel the country and the world sourcing exotic ingredients and discovering ancient techniques to produce beers of astounding originality.

http://dsc.discovery.com/tv/brew-masters/?#mkcpgn=semdsc6

Cheers,
G

boom
11-21-2010, 03:43 PM
Looking forward to this!!!

icehog3
11-21-2010, 03:51 PM
Series Manager set, thanks. :tu

ChicagoWhiteSox
11-21-2010, 03:55 PM
Yeah I'll be watching for sure.

BeerAdvocate
11-21-2010, 06:53 PM
Getting ready to watch this one

Bill86
11-21-2010, 06:55 PM
Beer show? Dogfish head brewer.....I'll be watching this! :tu

hammondc
11-21-2010, 08:23 PM
on the DVR. Coincidentally, I had some DFH Pangaea on draught tonight. Probably the biggest let down I have had as far as beer goes. Especially, for $12.75 a pint.

ODLS1
11-21-2010, 09:02 PM
on the DVR. Coincidentally, I had some DFH Pangaea on draught tonight. Probably the biggest let down I have had as far as beer goes. Especially, for $12.75 a pint.

Hmm. I thought it was pretty good. Nothing amazing but still enjoyable. I had it from a bottle, and here 750ml bottles are like $12. However, I had Theobroma from a bottle and thought the same, but when I had a sample of it on tap it was terrible - tasted like medicine.

As far as the show, I really enjoyed it. Granted I am a big homebrewer and hope to attempt a brewpub of my own. Looks like the next will be all about DFH as well. Hopefully some of the others include other breweries, but we'll see.

BeerAdvocate
11-22-2010, 09:35 AM
Someone PM me if they can still get bottles of Bit@hs Brew.
My wife really wants to try it after watching the show, and I cant get DFH here.

Martel
11-22-2010, 09:39 AM
My wife really wants to try it after watching the show, and I cant get DFH here.

Wish I would have known... I was at their brewpub in Rehoboth Beach over the weekend and they had it.

Cheers,
G

potlimit
11-22-2010, 11:41 AM
Great to see the show on, but unfortunately I fear the exposure is going to have a seriously negative effect on our ability to purchase... case in point: just called Total Wine out here to see if they still had some *****es Brew for Travis's wife, no such luck. And I can't think of a time I was in there in the last few months they didn't have it in stock.

kaisersozei
11-22-2010, 12:22 PM

I can usually get everything DFH brews, but have yet to see this on the shelves in my area even before last night's show, so I'm not much help to ya right now. I'll keep looking, though...

awsmith4
11-22-2010, 09:26 PM

I was in NC today and scored another bottle and according to an email I got a second release hit shelves at one of my local stores today so I will verify that for truth and if so I'll send you a PM

ODLS1
11-22-2010, 11:39 PM
I work at a large liquor store. We can get things pretty easy, usually. We got 1 case of GI Bourbon County Coffee, 22 cases of Founders KBS, etc. We got 1 case of *****es Brew and it was gone it less than a week. This was waaay before the show. It will be interesting to see if it affects DFH sales. If we had any more BB I would have picked one up just for the show, since I'm lame like that, haha. I had one and it was great. Very impressed. Now to see if my co-worker will let me buy the one he has stashed, hah.

potlimit
11-23-2010, 12:37 AM
I work at a large liquor store. We can get things pretty easy, usually. We got 1 case of GI Bourbon County Coffee, 22 cases of Founders KBS, etc. We got 1 case of *****es Brew and it was gone it less than a week. This was waaay before the show. It will be interesting to see if it affects DFH sales. If we had any more BB I would have picked one up just for the show, since I'm lame like that, haha. I had one and it was great. Very impressed. Now to see if my co-worker will let me buy the one he has stashed, hah.

What do you guys get for the Founders and do you ship to Nevada???

icehog3
11-23-2010, 01:44 AM
What do you guys get for the Founders and do you ship to Nevada???

Please take it to PM, no alcohol transactions are allowed outside the Retailer's Forum. :)

hammondc
11-23-2010, 07:01 AM
.....Looks like the next will be all about DFH as well. Hopefully some of the others include other breweries, but we'll see.

I think the whole series is DFH.

awsmith4
11-23-2010, 08:46 AM
I think the whole series is DFH.

Discovery wanted to do a show exclusively about DFH (think American Chopper) but the guy at DFH said he wanted to include other breweries as well. So from my understanding the show will center of DFH but will occasionally feature trips to other breweries.

b0rderman
11-23-2010, 09:11 AM
I heard somewhere that DFH was doing a second batch of *****es Brew this year so that they could capitalize on the Brewmaster's premier...but I haven't seen anymore bottles anywhere? Stupid rumors

awsmith4
11-23-2010, 09:47 AM
I heard somewhere that DFH was doing a second batch of *****es Brew this year so that they could capitalize on the Brewmaster's premier...but I haven't seen anymore bottles anywhere? Stupid rumors

Taken from DFH's Facebook page dated Nov. 15th

"Batch #2 of *****es Brew is being packaged today and will start shipping to wholesalers later this week. It'll go to markets where we already sell except NH, MI & TN (so sorry to folks there!)"

Another comment by DFH after the initial post

"Here is what I know....
For MI - they did not approve b/c of the name (doesn't make sense, but that was what we've been told)
For NH - not approved - I don't know why
For TN - I'm hearing it was sent there the first go-around, which means it will go there again. Our compliance person is out today, so hopefully I'll know more in the next few days!"

ODLS1
11-23-2010, 10:40 AM
EDITED by icehog3:

Please handle strictly via PM. ;)

ChicagoWhiteSox
11-29-2010, 04:54 PM
Missed last nights show, but a buddy told me they are playing another new show tonight.

b0rderman
11-29-2010, 05:46 PM
your buddy is right!

a tomato based beer...fan of bloody marys and red beer, I know I it won't be like either of those, but still I am interested to see what they are going to do.

Wanger
11-30-2010, 06:14 AM
Dogfish Head is not available in MN. At least I can run across the border to WI and hopefully find some. WOuld LOVE to try the B1tche's Brew, after seeing it on the show. Seems right up my alley. :D

cricky101
11-30-2010, 08:46 AM
Dogfish Head is not available in MN. At least I can run across the border to WI and hopefully find some. WOuld LOVE to try the B1tche's Brew, after seeing it on the show. Seems right up my alley. :D

Do you know of any WI stores off-hand that carry DFH? Maybe in Hudson?

My GF loves a pizza place there, so if we HAD to make a trip to get her some 'za, I think it would only make sense for me to stop and pick up some beer :D

Wanger
11-30-2010, 08:59 AM
Do you know of any WI stores off-hand that carry DFH? Maybe in Hudson?

My GF loves a pizza place there, so if we HAD to make a trip to get her some 'za, I think it would only make sense for me to stop and pick up some beer :D

Yes, in Hudson...I did a search on their website last night, and found that they are supposed to carry it in a few stores over there. Not sure when I'd be able to head over there myself...but I'd call to see which ones they have available first.

BlackDog
11-30-2010, 09:18 AM
Chicones and Casanova in Hudson both carry DFH. Get yourself some New Glarus too while you're there. :tu

ChicagoWhiteSox
11-30-2010, 09:24 AM
Chicones and Casanova in Hudson both carry DFH. Get yourself some New Glarus too while you're there. :tu

New Glarus rocks:tu

cricky101
11-30-2010, 09:25 AM
Yes, in Hudson...I did a search on their website last night, and found that they are supposed to carry it in a few stores over there. Not sure when I'd be able to head over there myself...but I'd call to see which ones they have available first.

Awesome. Thanks!

b0rderman
11-30-2010, 10:03 AM
can we NOT talk about New Glarus....:(

ChicagoWhiteSox
11-30-2010, 10:07 AM
can we NOT talk about New Glarus....:(

Whenever I'm up in the North Woods, I have to stock up on New Glarus. My favorites from them are Moon Man, Fat Squirrel, and Totally Naked. Just thought I would share my favs with you:D

BlackDog
11-30-2010, 11:01 AM
Whenever I'm up in the North Woods, I have to stock up on New Glarus. My favorites from them are Moon Man, Fat Squirrel, and Totally Naked. Just thought I would share my favs with you:D
Plus, don't forget Wisconsin Red and Raspberry Tart.

ChicagoWhiteSox
11-30-2010, 11:06 AM
Plus, don't forget Wisconsin Red and Raspberry Tart.

I've never had the Red or the Raspberry Tart but I'm sure they are great:D

Bill86
11-30-2010, 11:12 AM
t'll go to markets where we already sell except NH, MI & TN (so sorry to folks there!)"

For TN - I'm hearing it was sent there the first go-around, which means it will go there again. Our compliance person is out today, so hopefully I'll know more in the next few days!"

The 2nd comment better be the case! I want more!

b0rderman
11-30-2010, 07:23 PM
this is BS...

Wanger
12-01-2010, 06:40 AM

The wife talked to someone at the liquor store at Festival in Centerville last night, and was told that Casanova was the place to go for DFH in Hudson.

Eleven
12-01-2010, 07:34 AM
I gotta say, I am tired of the reality shows about every day jobs. I love beer as much as, if not more than the average guy, but I also love tattoos, motorcycles and garage sales.

I am bored to death with the 'manufactured drama' these shows come up with. Kat is moody and wants to leave Miami Ink, something breaks at OCC and they might miss a deadline, a giant bottle of glue spills and makes a mess at DFH.

Who cares? These shows are ruining my interests and hobbies. How long before the guys at DFH have a falling out we get to see some re-hashed Kat vs Ami, Sr. vs Jr, or "OMG we have to get back to the base because we have some arbitrary date that we have to rip off this old man and steal his rare collection of bottle caps by!"

I watched the first episode of Brew Masters hoping it would not be like American Chopper, Miami Ink, LA Ink, Pawn Stars, Hardcore Pawn, Storm Chasers, American Pickers, Ace of Cakes, Cup Cake Wars, American Loggers, Auction Kings, Deadliest Catch, Lobster Wars, BBQ Pitmasters, Kate Plus 8, 19 Kids and Counting, Fabulous Cakes, The Little Couple, Its Me Or The Dog, Pit Boss, Ice Road Truckers, IRT Deadliest Roads, Swamp People, Ax men, After The Catch...

But it was.

It was exactly the same as all of those other shows. Too bad.

cricky101
12-01-2010, 09:45 AM
I watched the first episode of Brew Masters hoping it would not be like American Chopper, Miami Ink, LA Ink, Pawn Stars, Hardcore Pawn, Storm Chasers, American Pickers, Ace of Cakes, Cup Cake Wars, American Loggers, Auction Kings, Deadliest Catch, Lobster Wars, BBQ Pitmasters, Kate Plus 8, 19 Kids and Counting, Fabulous Cakes, The Little Couple, Its Me Or The Dog, Pit Boss, Ice Road Truckers, IRT Deadliest Roads, Swamp People, Ax men, After The Catch...

But it was.

It was exactly the same as all of those other shows. Too bad.

Dirty Jobs!

cricky101
12-01-2010, 09:47 AM
The wife talked to someone at the liquor store at Festival in Centerville last night, and was told that Casanova was the place to go for DFH in Hudson.

Might have to drive over on Sunday and do some shopping. (Because you can do that in Wisconsin on Sunday :D)

safariguy
12-01-2010, 11:23 AM
I have watched two episodes. I like the parts that show how the beer is made and the logistics and such things. Can't stand the showcasing of the owner (Sam?) and treating him like he is some famous rock start. And what is with all the hugging that these guys do? Overall I give the show a solid B.

b0rderman
12-01-2010, 12:41 PM
I think this show is quite different than those other shows you list. So far he has done a good bit of traveling outside of the brewery and also there is a good bit of educational information (history, brewing process, ingredients) that adds value. You also lumped Pawn Stars in with it as well, so I guess we just disagree, because that show is much better and different than the others in that list...American Pickers too, for similar reasons.

If this show was about Blue Moon I would compare it to American Chopper. I'll take Brewmasters over 90% of what is on TV, including the NFC West.

BloodSpite
12-01-2010, 12:46 PM

That makes two of us.
I am a FIEND for dark beers