PDA

View Full Version : Opus X ... Am I Missing Something

sammyboy405
11-21-2010, 12:42 AM
So I must be missing something. Alot of people told me Tons of good things about Opus X. So I bought 2 of them. I Smoked one tonight and I just wasn't happy with it. It was very tight. Hard to get any draw on it. And it smells wonderful but lacks in flavor.

other than the wonderful Aroma it has, I did enjoy the fact that it wasn't a very smoky cigar. Its one of the few cigars Ive smoked that didnt have alot of idle smoke to them.

Im not sure if its just me or not, but It didnt live of to the hype. From what I understand I did get a good deal on them price wise. 11.40 Each.

So am I missing something here or did I just get a bad rolled cigar?

Bill86
11-21-2010, 12:54 AM
Yes you got a good deal, most people say Opus X need 6 months - a year minimum rest before they smoke good/right.

I would suggest letting them rest or buying aged Opus X.

dwoodward
11-21-2010, 01:11 AM
Sounds like it was plugged.

Remember, a cigar is only as good as you want it to be. If you imagine the Opus X to be the most memorable experience of your life, you will probably end up disappointed.

I would try another, and don't expect too much from it. A cigar is just a cigar.

Dunkel
11-21-2010, 05:34 AM
I've smoked a few Opus X's and don't see why people think they are so amazing. If I'm going smoke an AF I'd much rather have an Anejo.

Bax
11-21-2010, 05:37 AM
Yes you got a good deal, most people say Opus X need 6 months - a year minimum rest before they smoke good/right.

I would suggest letting them rest or buying aged Opus X.

Age makes all the difference in the world with Opus. Had some wonderful aged ones but fresh are not for me.

brigey57
11-21-2010, 06:05 AM
I smoked one several years ago and loved it but like Derrick said it's all in the frame of mind and anticipation of the smoke. I bought it and it was a very good smoke but was it worth the money I paid for it, I don't think so. For a few bucks less I think I have enjoyed better smokes. Give it some time, let the stick age, and try it again. If you still feel that the stick wasn't that good then maybe you need to avoid it in the future and find one that you enjoy more. JMHO :2

Shemp Howard
11-21-2010, 06:09 AM
IMO Opus X's are a status smoke. I have had a few and like most people think they might be a bit over priced. I won't go out of my way to buy one though. I perfer the Hemingways and Ashtons.

quantim0
11-21-2010, 06:31 AM
I have a number of 06-07 Opus and a few new ones. The new ones don't even taste like the same stick as a new one. The new ones are too strong to let the complexity shine, with age that strength fades and you have a cigar that is tought to find a comparison to.

G G
11-21-2010, 06:34 AM
I have only smoked one and am told it's hard to make a judgement on that, but I wasn't all that impressed either. I had a freind tell me a week or two ago that he smoked 17 of them before they were great to him.

TripleF
11-21-2010, 06:38 AM
I know what you're thinking. I do. I smoked probably 15 or so over a 2.5 year time frame and was just never "WOWED". They didn't do anything for me.

Then one hit me just right and I've been a huge fan ever since.....

Now, I love 'em!

Hang in there, smoke a few more, enjoy the experience.......

AshesToAshes
11-21-2010, 06:58 AM
Been smoking Opus Cigars for 10 years and they are a great cigar. People get confused about when to smoke these and as one of the brothers suggested if they aren't aged at least a year you won't find them to be as good as you think. I smoke most of mine at the 18 month mark and they are great. Not everyone is going to love this cigar because not everybody has the same taste. That just means more for me.

nick2021
11-21-2010, 07:35 AM
I also heard age does wonders for OpusX...had the same situation as you experienced with one ROTT...was disappointed.

mosesbotbol
11-21-2010, 07:44 AM
Been smoking Opus X since they came out. Many of them are just too oily and burn really slow. I always thought since the release they were novelty. Who cares if it is a DR wrapper, big deal.

Don Carlos still "the" cigar line from Fuente which was their flagship before the Opus X was released.

All that bashing aside, when an Opus X is good, it can compete with the best cigars in the world for sure.

SSDVC
11-21-2010, 07:48 AM
Whew !!!!!!!! I thought is was just me ! I had three and I was not impressed either. I have had better smokes for a lot less. And yes, one I know for sure was aged for about two years. I'm not a prolific smoker or connoisseur and I can't really put my finger on it, but I think the stick just lacked some flavor or something.

tenbaseg
11-21-2010, 07:50 AM
IMO A plugged cigar has no chance of being good.

Bunker
11-21-2010, 07:55 AM
I was a non-believer until I was bombed with some aged (1-2 year-old) smokes. The aged xXx was one of the best cigars I ever smoked CC or otherwise.

kelmac07
11-21-2010, 08:04 AM
I've smoked a few Opus X's and don't see why people think they are so amazing. If I'm going smoke an AF I'd much rather have an Anejo.

Totally agree with you Doug!!! :tu

neoflex
11-21-2010, 08:05 AM
I hate these fresh but with 2 or 3 years of age they are fantastic. Some guys like them fresh but I think they need the down time to really reach their potential.

alwayslit
11-21-2010, 08:39 AM
Opus need rest ROTT....imho. They have a tendency to be wet. If you dry box them for 48 to 72 hours your experience should be a lot better. If you have the time they get better with age.

ChicagoWhiteSox
11-21-2010, 09:32 AM
Age makes all the difference in the world with Opus. Had some wonderful aged ones but fresh are not for me.

:tpd:

zappaFREAK
11-21-2010, 09:39 AM
Love these but age improves everything... even people...well most of them anyway.

flybum62
11-21-2010, 01:10 PM
I've had a few several years ago, it was suggested by the b&m guy to let them "set for a while." This was in November, and smoked them during the summer. VERY good cigar, lots of smoke and great taste. Hard to find, but well worth the wait.

sikk50
11-21-2010, 01:56 PM
Opus, new or old, = <3

Brad
11-21-2010, 02:07 PM
Many people find fresh Opus to be harsh and overpowering. I try to buy some every year, then let them rest for a year before smoking them.

The only high end cigars that I've found that don't benefit from a nice long nap are the top shelf Padrons like the 64's, 26's, etc. Those are ready to go right off the truck.

Bill86
11-21-2010, 02:14 PM
There's also a lot of hype about Opus X which makes people think it is the end all be all of cigars. Pay $10-12 a stick, let them rest for a year or more and have an open mind.

If you pay too much you start expecting too much.

On that note tomorrow I think I'll smoke an Opus X.

icehog3
11-21-2010, 02:57 PM
All that bashing aside, when an Opus X is good, it can compete with the best cigars in the world for sure.

I will say that a few Opus X that I have smoked that were "on" were wonderful cigars. Unfortunately for me, I have had far more duds than studs when smoking Opus X.

RevSmoke
11-21-2010, 04:40 PM

Totally agree with you Doug!!! :tu

I also agree, Anejos are better in my opinion.. I have een gifts some Opus in the past few years, and so I am letting them age - I am hoping to be impressed more impressed with them, than I have been with the 2 score I've smoked since their inception.

Garbandz
11-21-2010, 05:40 PM
I have been given Opus and purchased them for years,NEVER had one yet worth the money. Smoked Fuentes products in the 80's and 90's,they were good then.
Now I do not even bother with them,there is a whole world of better cigars.

akumushi
11-21-2010, 05:48 PM
My least favorite fuentes. Give me a an 8-5-8 Sungrown over any Opus any day. Age makes them tolerable, but not "oh wow, that's worth the money" good. I could see where if you're a pure mouth smoker they could have merit, but 70% of my smoking enjoyment comes from the nose, so that colors my opinion:2

thebiglebowski
11-21-2010, 06:16 PM
So I must be missing something. Alot of people told me Tons of good things about Opus X. So I bought 2 of them. I Smoked one tonight and I just wasn't happy with it. It was very tight. Hard to get any draw on it. And it smells wonderful but lacks in flavor.

other than the wonderful Aroma it has, I did enjoy the fact that it wasn't a very smoky cigar. Its one of the few cigars Ive smoked that didnt have alot of idle smoke to them.

Im not sure if its just me or not, but It didnt live of to the hype. From what I understand I did get a good deal on them price wise. 11.40 Each.

So am I missing something here or did I just get a bad rolled cigar?

it's the right time of year for you to seek out some anejos. love them lots better than opus...

troutbreath
11-21-2010, 07:01 PM
Good thread. A cigar like an OpusX is going to be influenced by age, the moment, and the expectations you have going into the experience. Some cigars will never be able to live up to the hype, and the OpusX has a LOT of hype. Personally, I love 'em. But I put them down for at least a year before smoking them.

Right now, I think I have about 70 resting comfortably . . . :)

The Anejos NEVER disappoint. EVER. Had a 50 on Friday, and once again I was blown away. Great flavors, and the burn was PERFECT. Razor sharp. Great way to end a week.

Bill86
11-21-2010, 07:05 PM
Right now, I think I have about 70 resting comfortably . . . :)

The Anejos NEVER disappoint. EVER. Had a 50 on Friday, and once again I was blown away. Great flavors, and the burn was PERFECT. Razor sharp. Great way to end a week.

O_o 70 Opus :dr :dr :tu

I have to try these Anejos, not usually one for the regular Fuente lineup. More interested in Opus/GoF. But with the how many people recommending these in this thread alone, they are definitely on my list of cigars to try.

JJG
11-21-2010, 10:00 PM
My advice to the original poster would be, don't write them off just yet. My first Opus X didn't "wow" me either. I didn't actually come to appreciate them until after I started smoking Cubans pretty much exclusively. Now I can't think of another NC that even comes close to the richness and complexity of an Opus X. Honestly, they would be my number 1 cigar, (cc or otherwise) if price was not an issue.

This is coming from a guy who definitely doesn't give a crap about hype, or "status cigars". Most of my close friends don't even know about my cigar obsession. -(P

Shemp Howard
11-21-2010, 10:11 PM
i still have 2 Opus X's buried in a humidor at home with about 18 months on it by now. Will have 2 years on them by the time I get home. I will dig 1 out and give it a try then. The others I have smoked were young and didn't have a chance to rest so that might be the problem.

x man
11-21-2010, 11:17 PM
O geez, Opus is Opus for me. It stands alone, i dont compare
it to other cigars. Ive never smoked a tight Opus if it was kept well.
For me Fuente is reliable, draw flavor burn, almost never get a
flawed Fuente.
It can be an acquired taste.

smelvis
11-21-2010, 11:32 PM
flawed Fuente.

I have to agree with Art here, I guess we can't all like the same things, that would be boring anyway. :)

You are not the 1st I know that doesn't like Fuentes stuff though!

icehog3
11-22-2010, 12:56 AM
flawed Fuente.

Fuentes do have pretty impeccable construction in my experience, think I have only had one that had a poor draw over the last several years.

RevSmoke
11-22-2010, 06:40 AM
I have been given Opus and purchased them for years,NEVER had one yet worth the money. Smoked Fuentes products in the 80's and 90's,they were good then.
Now I do not even bother with them,there is a whole world of better cigars.

My first "premium hand-rolled" cigar was a Chateau Fuente in the fall of 1980. I smoked AFs by the box, predominantly Chateaus (nat. & mad.) and Rothschilds. When I wanted to splurge, I bought Hemi. Short Stories ($60 a box back then).

When the Opus line came out, we were all excited. I bought my limit of 2 on a couple of occasions to get some in my humidor. I smoked a few ROTT, but quite a few sat, their price was such that I was smoking these for special occasions. Their taste was always different, usually good, but sometimes lackluster.

But it was the construction that caused more grief - I have never had cigars that burn as erratically as the Opus. I am not talking a little run, but issues that need constant attention and thereby seriously detract from the enjoyment of the cigar. Even the ones I have had recently have had such issues. I had a 3 yr. old Power Ranger that was seriously giving me the WOW factor during the first inch & a half, but then developed a 1/2 - 3/4 inch run that would not take any correction, even when putting it down and allowing it to go out and lighting only the un-run side. I got about 4 puff and the run was again off to the races.

Anyway, the Opus line came out near the end of the boom years ('97). With all the Don's coming out of the woodwork trying to sell their $15 wonder-sticks to cigar snobs who wouldn't know a Cremosa from a Camacho, I think they lost a bit of their market share. There were rumors that they also lost some of their rollers. It is a definite fact that they tobacco that they were purchasing was now being snatched up by all these "Donnie-come-lately" companies and so they had to pay more for tobacco that probably wasn't as good.

It was during those boom years that we watched AF prices sky-rocket. And, something happened to the blends, they were not the same - and still are not to this day.

Today, my personal favorites in their normal lines are the Sun Growns, although the Rothschilds with their Cameroon wrapper are quite tasty, just harder to find. I still enjoy the Hemingways, but the price has more than doubled (and my salary hasn't), and they are not the flavor bombs they used to be. The construction, burn, and quality are impeccable with all their regular production lines, even the new Rosadas (excellent smokes), which has always been the case.

Of all the AFs, the Anejos however are stell the creme de la creme in my book.

All said and done, I love my Fuentes. There are always a few in my humidor. It is that time of the year now to look for deals on Anejos. AND, I will continue to try the Opus line. Like I said, I have a few the have been gifted to me in the last few years that have taken up abode in the bottom tetris row in my igloodor. I will reach for them to reevaluate again when the time is right. I really, really, really want to enjoy them.

Peace of the Lord be with you.

RevSmoke
11-22-2010, 06:42 AM
My first "premium hand-rolled" cigar was a Chateau Fuente in the fall of 1980. I smoked AFs by the box, predominantly Chateaus (nat. & mad.) and Rothschilds. When I wanted to splurge, I bought Hemi. Short Stories ($60 a box back then).

When the Opus line came out, we were all excited. I bought my limit of 2 on a couple of occasions to get some in my humidor. I smoked a few ROTT, but quite a few sat, their price was such that I was smoking these for special occasions. Their taste was always different, usually good, but sometimes lackluster.

But it was the construction that caused more grief - I have never had cigars that burn as erratically as the Opus. I am not talking a little run, but issues that need constant attention and thereby seriously detract from the enjoyment of the cigar. Even the ones I have had recently have had such issues. I had a 3 yr. old Power Ranger that was seriously giving me the WOW factor during the first inch & a half, but then developed a 1/2 - 3/4 inch run that would not take any correction, even when putting it down and allowing it to go out and lighting only the un-run side. I got about 4 puff and the run was again off to the races.

Anyway, the Opus line came out near the end of the boom years ('97). With all the Don's coming out of the woodwork trying to sell their $15 wonder-sticks to cigar snobs who wouldn't know a Cremosa from a Camacho, I think they lost a bit of their market share. There were rumors that they also lost some of their rollers. It is a definite fact that they tobacco that they were purchasing was now being snatched up by all these "Donnie-come-lately" companies and so they had to pay more for tobacco that probably wasn't as good.

It was during those boom years that we watched AF prices sky-rocket. And, something happened to the blends, they were not the same - and still are not to this day.

Today, my personal favorites in their normal lines are the Sun Growns, although the Rothschilds with their Cameroon wrapper are quite tasty, just harder to find. I still enjoy the Hemingways, but the price has more than doubled (and my salary hasn't), and they are not the flavor bombs they used to be. The construction, burn, and quality are impeccable with all their regular production lines, even the new Rosadas (excellent smokes), which has always been the case.

Of all the AFs, the Anejos however are stell the creme de la creme in my book.

All said and done, I love my Fuentes. There are always a few in my humidor. It is that time of the year now to look for deals on Anejos. AND, I will continue to try the Opus line. Like I said, I have a few the have been gifted to me in the last few years that have taken up abode in the bottom tetris row in my igloodor. I will reach for them to reevaluate again when the time is right. I really, really, really want to enjoy them.

Peace of the Lord be with you.

Jeez oh petes, what a long-winded blow-hard.

klipsch
11-22-2010, 09:14 AM
I've got a draw full of Opus, all with more than a years age on em. I don't typically smoke them, but when I pull one out it's always great. I do have an OR Dbl Corona in there that I'll most likely never smoke *hint...hint...*

cricky101
11-22-2010, 09:27 AM
I think I've traded/bombed/given away more Opus than I've smoked myself, but the few I had didn't do too much for me. Not bad at all, but there are other flavor profiles I prefer. Now the Anejos, those I love!

icehog3
11-22-2010, 10:29 AM
I've got a draw full of Opus, all with more than a years age on em.
Is that an Opus in your drawers, Walt, or are you just happy to see me? :D

floydpink
11-22-2010, 10:34 AM
personally, I love Opus X's, but won't go out of my way to get them.

I'm lucky to have a nice guy at the B&M near me that allows me as many as I want for msrp and normally carries a good stock.

More often than not, I will reach for a Don Carlos before an Opus if I'm spending that much money on a single.

Ol' Times Cigars
11-22-2010, 10:45 AM
Its a case of different smokes for different folks. Plenty of our customers love the Opus line but over the years they have become more available, atleast in our area. As they have become more available I have heard more and more people turn away from them. A lot of say they just don't do it for them anymore and that they feel like they have changed over the years. Then again more cigars have come out that have been receiving great ratings and peoples tastes change so the Opus doesn't seem as popular as it used to be. I used to sell out in about a week or two and now I have about 15 boxes in stock, with about 5 left over from the last shipment.

I would say if you haven't tried one and you get the chance then try one, you may miss out on something you like. Just don't pay more than $20 for one. If you don't like it atleast you tried one and found out.

floydpink
11-22-2010, 11:01 AM
Funny that Ol Times should reply, they are the only store in my area I have ever seen carry Opus at msrp and never gouge the customer.

They are the store I was referring to.

JJG
11-22-2010, 11:33 AM
I'm lucky to have a nice guy at the B&M near me that allows me as many as I want for msrp and normally carries a good stock.

same here, I have a shop near me that gets a ton every year. They're not the absolute cheapest I've seen, but not too bad either, $12-16 usually.

I suppose if I had to pay $20+ or drive all over town to get them, I would probably be a little disappointed too.

Ol' Times Cigars
11-22-2010, 12:43 PM
The Anejos on the other hand are a smoke that won't disappoint. We just got some in, hopefully we will see more but you never know. You should see them popping up at your local shops but they go quick. If you haven't tried that one it is worth it, but they are much harder to find.

Pete,
Thanks for the support and the good words.

Doctorossi
11-22-2010, 12:52 PM
The Anejos on the other hand are a smoke that won't disappoint.

I love 'em both. :sh

Ol' Times Cigars
11-22-2010, 12:53 PM
So do I, but I have yet to hear a complaint about the Anejos.

Doctorossi
11-22-2010, 12:57 PM
So do I, but I have yet to hear a complaint about the Anejos.

I certainly agree that the Anejos are probably more likely to appeal to a wider audience.

warren G.
11-22-2010, 10:57 PM
I remember smoking my first Opus, it was the robusto and I was just smiling the entire time. It was an amazing cigar and had about 2+ years on it.

I have a good bit of Opus tuck away in my humidor. But man, Anejo = mighty fine cigar.

cboor001
11-23-2010, 03:17 AM
Aged Opus are outstanding cigars, but fresh I don't really care for them. I also think that the vitola makes a huge difference to each individual. I Love the PL, and #4/#5s, but don't enjoy the larger vitolas much at all. I do have a Love Affair resting at home, but won't even be able to get to it until spring of 2011. I say find a good aged Opus and give it the 'ol college try.

Martel
11-24-2010, 03:22 PM
Age+Dryboxing= Opus Happiness.

Cheers,
G

Knip23
11-24-2010, 04:19 PM
I think its all about your pallat. Like me not a huge fan of Opus X at all. Ive smoked a couple. One fresh and one with about 2 years on it. Just wasnt my taste. You'll find diffrent cigars that people go CRAZY over but you may not like them. To each there own though.

Knip.

NCRadioMan
11-24-2010, 05:33 PM
Plenty of our customers love the Opus line but over the years they have become more available, atleast in our area. As they have become more available I have heard more and more people turn away from them. A lot of say they just don't do it for them anymore and that they feel like they have changed over the years.

Same here. When we didn't have them in, I turned ALOT of people onto Pepins and LFD's and most never cared to go back to Opus.

I've been disappointed more times than not with Opus. I've had a dozen or so that were older than 5 years and only a couple were really good. Opus has never been on my "to get" list.

MajorCaptSilly
11-24-2010, 05:54 PM
I used to hate them. Had one this summer and it was a religious experience. That means I liked it.

MCS

icehog3
11-24-2010, 07:51 PM
I've had a dozen or so that were older than 5 years and only a couple were really good.

Pretty much sums up my experiences too, Greg....too many duds to justfy the dough, but I must admit to a couple great ones mixed in along the way.

sobranie10
11-24-2010, 08:34 PM
Original release Opus X were great since 1998 I have smoked very few. Our local rep came into our BM talking up Opus X, said their was no change in the cigar. Explained my thoughts and said lets compare I pulled a original release A of mine and he lit a new Opus X after smoking one third of each cigar I asked for his opinion and he said mine was over ten years old. I asked politely do you think your cigar would be this good if It was aged for ten years, no other comment. He did not argue which cigar he would rather smoke.
In their defense I still like Hemingway’s, Queen Bees. They are excellent :2:D

akumushi
11-25-2010, 02:12 AM
I smoked my first Anejo tonight and would now take any Anejo hands down over any Opus. That said, for Fuentes, the 8-5-8 Sungrown is still the shiz in my book. That said, I've never had a Rosado.

sammyboy405
11-25-2010, 11:41 AM
Wow.. What a Response! Wasn't expecting that at all.

So heres what ive learned from everyones suggestions and comments.

1. Try it again.
2. Find a Poker ;)
3. Age is everything

I got one Opus X left and I will let that one Age, The cigar shop let me have the box since I bought the last 2. And if the box is correct it looks like the cigar isnt but about 6 to 7 months old. I will give it some more time and try it later this summer.

Thanks everyone for there thoughts / suggestions.

Dunkel
11-25-2010, 04:27 PM
So heres what ive learned from everyones suggestions and comments.

1. Try it again.
2. Find a Poker ;)
3. Age is everything
4. If you have a choice between an Anejo and an Opus X, buy the Anejo! ;)

Fixed that for ya bro! LOL

sammyboy405
11-25-2010, 09:33 PM
Fixed that for ya bro! LOL

LOL Ok Point taken Sounds like I need to Try one of those then. ;)

Bill86
11-29-2010, 01:40 PM
Smoking my first dud Opus X, so far this is really bad. I'm tempted to just chuck it. Perfect burn and draw but it tastes like crap. :td

if I could describe the taste..... Shoe leather

retro_cigar
11-30-2010, 02:43 PM
Do you know what size you smoked; I have narrowed my opus smoking sizes down to a few since they are to me; what opus are should smoke; taste an smell like. The no 2; double corona an petit lancero; but I do enjoy the power ranger time to time. I guess you have to smoke enough to know what you are getting. I smoke one or two a day. So when buying from shops sometimes; I can just smell the stick to see if its up to par. But, to be honest; when I first tried opus; I said "what the big hype"; took many years before my cigar taste matured to enjoy the opus cigar an the hidden power it holds.

nick2021
11-30-2010, 04:45 PM
Had a Fuente Fuente OpusX from 1999 which was gifted to me...man was this a GREAT smoke! Better than the one ROTT...seems like the key to these cigars are rest...it was definitely DIFFERENT than the ROTT one I had...

retro_cigar
11-30-2010, 04:47 PM
I smoked a 95' petit lancero pigtail the other night; actually did not enjoy it; I love my fresh opus. It was good; but not like a fresh one; lost it's kick'

Bill86
11-30-2010, 04:48 PM
Do you know what size you smoked; I have narrowed my opus smoking sizes down to a few since they are to me; what opus are should smoke; taste an smell like. The no 2; double corona an petit lancero; but I do enjoy the power ranger time to time. I guess you have to smoke enough to know what you are getting. I smoke one or two a day. So when buying from shops sometimes; I can just smell the stick to see if its up to par. But, to be honest; when I first tried opus; I said "what the big hype"; took many years before my cigar taste matured to enjoy the opus cigar an the hidden power it holds.

I had a Double Corona a few months back that was divine. However I forgot what size this was somewhere around 48-50 ring X 5. It was awful....very bad.

klipsch
11-30-2010, 04:49 PM
I said "what the big hype"; took many years before my cigar taste matured to enjoy the opus cigar an the hidden power it holds.

These have a hidden power?

Adriftpanda
11-30-2010, 04:54 PM

The ability to turn you green! Smoked one with a couple years on it and I morphed green. Had to sit down... for a while. Lol

chippewastud79
11-30-2010, 04:56 PM
I can just smell the stick to see if its up to par.

Can you teach us how to simply smell a stick and know if it is up to par? Does it tell you how good it will taste? :confused:

Bill86
11-30-2010, 04:58 PM
I smoked a 95' petit lancero pigtail the other night; actually did not enjoy it; I love my fresh opus. It was good; but not like a fresh one; lost it's kick'

This is odd, most people prefer rested/aged Opus. You smoke them ROTT/fresh?

retro_cigar
11-30-2010, 04:59 PM
Can you teach us how to simply smell a stick and know if it is up to par? Does it tell you how good it will taste? :confused:

Opus have a certain aroma by smelling the cigar even not holding it directly to the nose; if you can smell it from a inch or two away; its going to be pretty dam good. If you have a few different sizes in your humidor; give it a try; you'll notice some are "faint" an some are "dead on" .

Hidden Power; munchies.

klipsch
11-30-2010, 05:03 PM
Hidden Power; munchies.

No sa!

chippewastud79
11-30-2010, 05:03 PM
Opus have a certain aroma by smelling the cigar even not holding it directly to the nose; if you can smell it from a inch or two away; its going to be pretty dam good. If you have a few different sizes in your humidor; give it a try; you'll notice some are "faint" an some are "dead on" .

I wish I had the nose that knows how well a cigar will smoke purely based on smell. Would this be true for all cigars or just Opus X? :hm

retro_cigar
11-30-2010, 05:06 PM
This is odd, most people prefer rested/aged Opus. You smoke them ROTT/fresh?

Love them fresh; I've smoked many well aged ones an yes they are a little refined; but I enjoy my O fresh. Since they have more of a kick in them; also that signature opus taste an aroma is always there when they are fresh; my personal opinion is that the ligero they are using; with age; weakens along with the aroma an taste. I do have a good stock of oldies; but I just don't enjoy them as much as the fresher ones'; yes fresh one might have a small burn issue; but I care less about little things like that.

retro_cigar
11-30-2010, 05:07 PM
I wish I had the nose that knows how well a cigar will smoke purely based on smell. Would this be true for all cigars or just Opus X? :hm

When you smoke a certain cigar like people more a certain brand of cigarettes; you get the hand of it. I wouldn't be able to tell with another cigar brand.

chippewastud79
11-30-2010, 05:14 PM
When you smoke a certain cigar like people more a certain brand of cigarettes; you get the hand of it. I wouldn't be able to tell with another cigar brand.

I think you may have the most unique nose in the cigar community to claim that you can tell how tasty a cigar will be purely based on smell. I have had plenty of cigars that smelled amazing and tasted less than OK and some that smelled like a barnyard that smoked amazing. Its a good thing you can tell which one will even be good before you even light it. :tu

Adriftpanda
11-30-2010, 05:18 PM

The ability to turn you green! Smoked one with a couple years on it and I morphed green. Had to sit down... for a while. Lol

retro_cigar
11-30-2010, 05:20 PM

Almost puked last night with a double corona; seriously was trashed.

icehog3
11-30-2010, 07:04 PM
I smoked a 5+ year old Petite Lancero the other night. It was OK, nothing spectacular. :2

Bill86
11-30-2010, 07:06 PM
Note to self,
Never buy anymore Opus X too inconsistent.

Especially for the price.

Knip23
11-30-2010, 07:09 PM
Note to self,
Never buy anymore Opus X too inconsistent.

Especially for the price.

I agree 100% I'm not qa fan of the opus x, ill take a padron over it any day.

Knip.

Bill86
11-30-2010, 07:21 PM
It sucks I got a good one, so I bought more. But after hearing of the wild inconsistency and smoking a dud. I'm not going to bother spending the $$$ on them.

Knip23
11-30-2010, 07:25 PM
Yeah. For about the same price you can get a Nice Ashton VSG, and they are very consistent. I love the VSG, the last couple i have had, had a slight hint of pumpkin spice. IT WAS AMAZING.

Knip.

chippewastud79
11-30-2010, 07:32 PM
For the price and something similar, I like Diamond Crown Maximus :tu

Knip23
11-30-2010, 07:48 PM
For the price and something similar, I like Diamond Crown Maximus :tu

Havent had that yet, It it good? Where is its Origin from?

Knip.

nick2021
11-30-2010, 08:25 PM
I agree 100% I'm not qa fan of the opus x, ill take a padron over it any day.

Knip.

+1, love the VSGs had one today and it was great! :D

sammyboy405
12-01-2010, 12:37 AM

HAHA Yea Thats exactly what I was doing when I Smoked it. :D

smelvis
12-01-2010, 01:20 AM
This sure shows our differences in tastes, I love them and with the exception of a couple green ones I have been loving them, I am buying all I can as I can afford them at MSRP..

It would be boring if we all liked the same thing wouldn't it. :)

There are many cigars out there people love that I simply cant stand either. Great thread!

RevSmoke
12-01-2010, 06:13 AM

A '95 Opus? Considering they were first released in '96, how did you manage that? Was this a pre-release stick?

klipsch
12-01-2010, 08:23 AM
I haven't found Opus prices to differ much from other boutique cigars.

x man
12-01-2010, 08:35 AM
Some people just love to hate Opus, just like the Yankees.
Mostly because Opus was 1st to the dance of ultra premium
nc`s. Because no one before Fuente had made an all Dominican
cigar, now they all copied him. LFD, Davidoff, Aurora, etc.
Did anyone notice all the other cigars on this page are made by Fuente,
for others to put their bands on.
I smoke Opus because its unique for me, flavor, dependability.

chippewastud79
12-01-2010, 08:54 AM
Havent had that yet, It it good? Where is its Origin from?

Knip.

It is made by Fuente, kind of like a regular production Opus. Some have even speculated it is the same blend. :tu

Blueface
12-01-2010, 09:13 AM
I have always found them to be very strong young but amazing when aged.
They tone down to just the right point after a few years.

I was just handed a very aged Churchill size (don't know them well enough) by a good friend and will probably light it up in the next few days or over the weekend.
Doubt very much I will be disappointed.