PDA

View Full Version : La Gloria Serie N

Brad
11-20-2010, 01:20 PM
Is anybody else having issues with these cigars, or am I simply unlucky?

First one I pulled out....tent peg, couldn't even fix it with a poker. I purchased a second single, to give them another chance. So far, very uneven burn, and I have very strong feeing the maduro wrapper is sprayed/dyed.

Have to say, not impressed so far. Things were better when Ernie was still involved with the brand.

neoflex
11-20-2010, 01:23 PM
I have not had any issues with the few I smoked but I have seen guys having problems with the Glorioso size. Mainly burn issues and the guys who have showed me them it seems the sticks were still a bit wet. The wrappers seem fine but the filler was still very mushy. These are fairly new so the few remaining sticks I have I am letting take a couple month nap to settle down.

Brad
11-20-2010, 01:30 PM
I have not had any issues with the few I smoked but I have seen guys having problems with the Glorioso size. Mainly burn issues and the guys who have showed me them it seems the sticks were still a bit wet. The wrappers seem fine but the filler was still very mushy. These are fairly new so the few remaining sticks I have I am letting take a couple month nap to settle down.

I am smoking the Glorioso, and yes, lots of burn issues. The color from the wrapper is coming off on my fingers, pretty sure it's dyed.

neoflex
11-20-2010, 01:36 PM
If you have any more I would let them sit in your humi a few weeks for sure as that seems to be the problematic size. They are definitely wet. They may not be dyed as non dyed Maduros will sometimes bleed so it's not always a direct indicator for it. This is a very good article to read on the process of how maduros are made and a great read even if you know a lot on the subject but it explains the different processes used in making maduros and it even mentions how non dyed maddies will sometimes bleed.
http://tobacconistuniversity.org/blog/

Bruins Fan
11-20-2010, 01:36 PM
I had one the other day and had burn issues, but wrote it off to the shop I bought it from?
The guy is always in the walkin with a spray bottle misting the place:td
It was a tasty smoke.

Brutus2600
11-20-2010, 01:40 PM
I had one the other day and had burn issues, but wrote it off to the shop I bought it from?
The guy is always in the walkin with a spray bottle misting the place:td
It was a tasty smoke.

:sw

Brian D.
11-20-2010, 01:53 PM
Both I smoked had burn issues and they weren't awesome for me tastewise either.

Brad
11-20-2010, 02:02 PM
Both I smoked had burn issues and they weren't awesome for me tastewise either.

This one isn't doing much for me in the taste department either. Sucks, I used to really enjoy the Serie R's.

Skywalker
11-20-2010, 03:07 PM
I had my first one last week and it was dense! Hard draw and burn problems!

ninjavanish
11-20-2010, 03:21 PM
The color from the wrapper is coming off on my fingers, pretty sure it's dyed.

I can assure this is not the case.

Sorry to hear that you're having issues with these though. I've smoked almost an entire box of the JSB and several of the Glorioso and rojo sizes without any issues.

One thing to note is that it is not actually a maduro wrapper. It's Oscuro which is allowed to ferment even longer than maduros giving it that blackish color. It doesn't have any dye on it at all. The black color coming off on your hands is simply what happens when the cigar is too moist. This could also account for the plugging issues and the uneven burn.

Not trying to knock your local shop but have you tried a stick from another locale? Perhaps it's something to do with the particular conditions inside the humidor they've been stored in.

The good thing about Oscuro wrappers though is that they tend to be tough meaty guys that can take a lot of abuse. One of the downsides however is that being that tough they tend to sometimes burn unevenly... especially if they catch a little too much humidity. (Same problem I used to have the the Serie R Maduros.)

Try leaving one out for a couple of hours before you smoke it. See if that helps... and if not. Shoot me a PM and let me know.

ninjavanish
11-20-2010, 03:23 PM
This one isn't doing much for me in the taste department either. Sucks, I used to really enjoy the Serie R's.

Serie R isn't going anywhere. It's still made the same way it has been since it first came out. :)

Emjaysmash
11-20-2010, 03:35 PM
Smoking one now. No draw problems, but I've had to relight it 3 times so far, and major burn issues.

Flavor is decent, but not as good as other nicaraguan puros.

Brad
11-20-2010, 06:03 PM
I can assure this is not the case.

Sorry to hear that you're having issues with these though. I've smoked almost an entire box of the JSB and several of the Glorioso and rojo sizes without any issues.

One thing to note is that it is not actually a maduro wrapper. It's Oscuro which is allowed to ferment even longer than maduros giving it that blackish color. It doesn't have any dye on it at all. The black color coming off on your hands is simply what happens when the cigar is too moist. This could also account for the plugging issues and the uneven burn.

Not trying to knock your local shop but have you tried a stick from another locale? Perhaps it's something to do with the particular conditions inside the humidor they've been stored in.

The good thing about Oscuro wrappers though is that they tend to be tough meaty guys that can take a lot of abuse. One of the downsides however is that being that tough they tend to sometimes burn unevenly... especially if they catch a little too much humidity. (Same problem I used to have the the Serie R Maduros.)

Try leaving one out for a couple of hours before you smoke it. See if that helps... and if not. Shoot me a PM and let me know.

I did leave it out for about 2 hours, didn't seem to do much. I purchased a lot of other singles from the same shop, they didn't have the same issues. I know the Serie R's needed to be almost bone dry to burn correctly, could be the same issue here.

I ended up chucking it when I got to the final third, it developed some harshness I wasn't fond of, and kept going out.

Smoking one now. No draw problems, but I've had to relight it 3 times so far, and major burn issues.

Flavor is decent, but not as good as other nicaraguan puros.

Same. When I got to the final third I had to keep re-lighting, and it got harsh. Finally gave up and chucked it.

neoflex
11-20-2010, 08:04 PM
I think these will improve with a bit of down time. The burn problems seem to be pretty common leading me to believe these were shipped very wet.:2

BC-Axeman
11-20-2010, 08:23 PM
Love the Serie R.
I just here heard of the N. Gonna have to give it a try.

SvilleKid
11-20-2010, 08:25 PM
Sounds like the classic time for the use of a dry box!

cmitch
11-21-2010, 07:55 AM
I had one this past Thursday, a gift from a friend to try. I enjoyed this stick. It started out with a 'woodsy' flavor and as it smoked down, it got sweeter. There are very few sticks that hold a great flavor down to the nub and this was one of them. I'm letting another age a few months and I'll see what it tastes like then.

My initial impression was that it was a dyed wrapper as well. But, I didn't experience the loss of coloration nor any rub off.

Garbandz
11-21-2010, 11:32 AM
First one was harsh,loosely rolled,ugly wrapper,uneven burn,dirty flavors.I will not try another until they get some age on them.Very surprised by this from a brand I have loved since the first one I had in 1987...............

auburnfan1980
11-21-2010, 02:56 PM
I'm simply not understanding the backlash towards the Serie N. I've smoked two of these fresh out of the box and I haven't had any of these issues. Ninja is right...do your research on the difference between Oscuro and Maduro and you'll understand why your fingers are turning brown. I think it's a great Nicaraguan cigar that is a bit different than the rest in that there's a very sweet flavor throughout that is really great right down to the nub as Clayton said earlier.

All things considered, our palates are all different and we won't all agree on the same cigar, which is why there are thousands of different blends to try and appeal to each of our tastes. To each his own, but I love this cigar....as a matter of fact, I'm writing a review tomorrow evening. :)

Emjaysmash
11-21-2010, 03:08 PM
I'm simply not understanding the backlash towards the Serie N. I've smoked two of these fresh out of the box and I haven't had any of these issues. Ninja is right...do your research on the difference between Oscuro and Maduro and you'll understand why your fingers are turning brown. I think it's a great Nicaraguan cigar that is a bit different than the rest in that there's a very sweet flavor throughout that is really great right down to the nub as Clayton said earlier.

All things considered, our palates are all different and we won't all agree on the same cigar, which is why there are thousands of different blends to try and appeal to each of our tastes. To each his own, but I love this cigar....as a matter of fact, I'm writing a review tomorrow evening. :)

Think of a cigar that you had major burn issues and other construction problems. Do those problems make you not want to buy the cigar again? That's the situation many of us are finding with the Serie N, and why there is
"backlash".

This cigar was certainly unique when it comes to the Nicaraguan profile. A pleasant smoothness is what I noticed. But the flavors I found in the cigar were muted; smooth but muted. A small bit of that Nic "zing" through the nose, but nothing special.

I'm glad you like these cigars and havent had any of the issues aformentioned, and maybe after some time I'll go back and try another, but at this point it's too much hassle.

auburnfan1980
11-22-2010, 09:02 AM
Think of a cigar that you had major burn issues and other construction problems. Do those problems make you not want to buy the cigar again? That's the situation many of us are finding with the Serie N, and why there is
"backlash".

This cigar was certainly unique when it comes to the Nicaraguan profile. A pleasant smoothness is what I noticed. But the flavors I found in the cigar were muted; smooth but muted. A small bit of that Nic "zing" through the nose, but nothing special.

I'm glad you like these cigars and havent had any of the issues aformentioned, and maybe after some time I'll go back and try another, but at this point it's too much hassle.

I hope you weren't taking offence to my comment as it wasn't meant to be divisive. I'll just say that I smoked a Tatuaje Black Tubo yesterday that burned crooked with a weak draw, but that's certainly not going to make me never want to bother with it again. Just imagine if that were the first of the Tat Blacks that I had smoked and I gave up on it then...I'd have missed out on what is one of my favorite cigars.

M.J., I'm sure you've smoked more than one of these to give it a fair shake, but in my humble opinion, it's hard for me to write off a cigar after just one sample like many I know do.

JR

11-22-2010, 09:22 AM
Never had a Serie N, but I have had color come off on every single Serie R No. 7 Maduro I've smoked. I used to enjoy them more than I do now. It was my first box purchase some 3-4 years ago. I don't care for that vitola anymore, but everyone I've smoked (30-40) have had the color come off of them and leave stains on my lips/fingers.

Emjaysmash
11-22-2010, 09:41 AM
I hope you weren't taking offence to my comment as it wasn't meant to be divisive. I'll just say that I smoked a Tatuaje Black Tubo yesterday that burned crooked with a weak draw, but that's certainly not going to make me never want to bother with it again. Just imagine if that were the first of the Tat Blacks that I had smoked and I gave up on it then...I'd have missed out on what is one of my favorite cigars.

M.J., I'm sure you've smoked more than one of these to give it a fair shake, but in my humble opinion, it's hard for me to write off a cigar after just one sample like many I know do.

JR

My apologies for reading it the wrong way!;s with typing on the internet it's hard to decipher where people want to put their emphasis.
I'm right there with ya when you say next just give a cigar only once chance. Too many variables can screw up a cigar from its full potential.
I'll definitely be trying more Serie N, mostly because even though my first impressions were so-so, I thought I was better than their regular line.