PDA

View Full Version : What does Veteran mean to you ?

av8tor152d
11-11-2008, 06:53 AM
In honors of Veterans Day I am just curious to some of peoples thoughts. Tell us what a veteran is to you or even who a veteran is to you.

To me a "Veteran"--whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve-- is someone who at one point in his/her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The Country they fought for, for an amount of "up to and including his/her life."

macms
11-11-2008, 06:59 AM
To me a "Veteran"--whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve-- is someone who at one point in his/her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The Country they fought for, for an amount of "up to and including his/her life."

Well said. Thank you veterans for your service. We must never forget. :salute:

ucla695
11-11-2008, 07:02 AM
Well said. The first words that come to my mind are selflessness, dedication and sacrifice.

Tombstone
11-11-2008, 07:02 AM
Thanks to all who have served!!!!!:usa

piperman
11-11-2008, 07:20 AM
If it was not for the Veterans, we would not be doing this now, Thanks for all you do.

Rockestone
11-11-2008, 07:25 AM
Veterans are one of the corner stones of this great nation. An all volunteer force who sacrifice their civilian lives, no matter how long their enlistment, to help protect the freedoms that we enjoy every day. God Bless America and God Bless all of those who currently serve, who have served and who will serve in the future.

kgoings
11-11-2008, 07:29 AM
In honors of Veterans Day I am just curious to some of peoples thoughts. Tell us what a veteran is to you or even who a veteran is to you.

Well said!

macpappy
11-11-2008, 09:40 AM
That sums it up very well.

taltos
11-11-2008, 09:45 AM

To me a "Veteran"--whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve-- is someone who at one point in his/her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The Country they fought for, for an amount of "up to and including his/her life."I would agree with this definition. Well stated.

nozero
11-11-2008, 09:56 AM
I would only change one thing. I would change the word "fought" to "served".
:2

Cigargal
11-11-2008, 10:11 AM
I think Veteran's day is one of our most important days of the year. We should never forget the sacrifice, dedication, and courage of those who have preserved our freedom for over 200 years. My father and brother did just that and I could not be prouder.

G G
11-11-2008, 10:21 AM
That sums it up very well.

:tpd::D

Gargoyle
11-11-2008, 10:22 AM
Well said! It would be wonderful of Veteran's day would get more resepct than some of the pseudo-holidays that are out there. While Memorial Day remembers those that made the ultimate sacrifice, we need to also honor everyone that volunteered to go into harms way to preserve our freedom.

ahc4353
11-11-2008, 10:43 AM
Protectors of Personal Freedom.

Thank you, each of you, for that.

Mr.Maduro
11-11-2008, 10:47 AM
I always think of My Four Fathers.

My Grandfather Arthur - Navy - WWII
My Godfather Walter - Air Force - Korea
My Father Kevin - Marines - Vietnam
My Father-in-law John - Army - Vietnam

Thanks to them and all the Veterans for our freedom!! :usa

Darrell
11-11-2008, 10:53 AM

Well said, Chief. I could not have said it better myself. :tu

Ace$nyper
11-11-2008, 11:17 AM
I've always been really thankful having friends and family who served.

I made a bit of a joke to Darrell about how unpleasant putting the sign up at the store front thanking the vets. It really hit me more so, that's the worst part of my day? A touch of wind?

I don't have to worry about being drug away, bombings, government labor camps or any of the things a very large part of the world deals with.

Our troops did and do a great job! Thanks so much to anyone who's served :)

hotreds
11-11-2008, 11:33 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhP_qJr9X7Q&feature=related

rrplasencia
11-11-2008, 01:18 PM

can't really add much to that.

someone is out there right now doing a job that allows me to sit here on my day off and play with my kids. everything i have and everything that i am allowed to say freely is because someone who came before me decided to serve their country. God bless those of you who have served and continue to do so. :usa

Chiefs~Wifey
11-11-2008, 08:21 PM
I think of my Hubby and all his co-workers.

Waynegro1
11-11-2008, 09:09 PM

I couldn't say it any better.
I consider Veterans Day more important to me then my own birthday. After all, it wasn't a great achievment being born and it didn't really make me proud, it just happened.
I do my best to instill in my child what Veterans Day is all about. To let him know how many sacrificed and gave everything for this great country of ours.

I think he finally got it today at a local Veterans Day parade. There was a WWII vet speaking and while doing so the Vet got choked up a bit. I looked at my boy and saw a tear roll down his cheek. I think he finally felt that familar lump of patriotism in his throat that I feel so often.
God Bless all that have served and support the troops (young and old) :usa. I salute you all. :salute:

M1903A1
11-11-2008, 09:13 PM
I think of...

My mother, USAF radar tech 1954-58.
My grandfather, 33rd Division 1917-18, who was on the front lines in France at 1100 hrs on November 11, 1918.
My great-uncle, who was headed over for the 1919 offensive when the Armistice was signed, took his discharge in France and began a long career with the US Consulate in Paris (which included being interned by the Germans during WWII).
My friend Peter, the old-school jeweler and watchmaker, who served from Guadalcanal to the Philippines and every point in between, and has eleven pieces of Japanese steel in him to this day.

I also think of this...I have no idea who wrote it:

The Man With The Rifle

Men may argue forever on what wins their wars
And welter in cons and pros
And seek for their answer at history's doors
But the man with the rifle knows

He must stand on the ground on his own two feet
And he's never in doubt when it's won
If it's won, he's there; if he's not...it's defeat
That's his test, when the fighting is done

When he carries the fight, it's not with a roar
Of armored wings spitting death