PDA

View Full Version : Snow.... it's coming

Sled Dog
11-16-2010, 11:09 AM
With Thanksgiving right around the corner, that means winter is too.... For all you fellow Northerners, what was the craziest snowfall you've been in?

For me, here in Buffalo, we got over 70 inches in about 36 hours. I took my wife to see a movie that night, went in to the theater and the stars were out. We came out 2.5 hours later and there was a foot of snow on my car. The next day I was delivering cans of gas throughout the neighborhood via my snowmobile....

Chainsaw13
11-16-2010, 11:17 AM
The next day I was delivering cans of gas throughout the neighborhood via my snowmobile....

:tu

For me it was the snowstorm we got here in the Detroit area in 1974. Nearly 20 inches in the course of a day. Combined with heavy winds and the snow plows coming down the street, we had drifts close to 10ft. Down the street from me, the church plowed the sidewalks, so we had 3-4 ft "canyon"s to play in. Granted I was 6 at the time, so everything was HUGE to my friends and I.

I hope we get hit like that again this year. Can't wait to try out my new snowmobile.

E.J.
11-16-2010, 11:19 AM
Not sure of an exact amount, but assume about 2' in a few days in the suburbs of SLC....

Love HUGE snowstorms, but I have never been in anything that changed how I lived my life...

Subvet642
11-16-2010, 11:22 AM
I friggin' hate snow. :td

Blueface
11-16-2010, 11:33 AM
I remember one year there were flurries in Miami.:r
;s

Apoco
11-16-2010, 11:43 AM
I remember one year there were flurries in Miami.:r
;s

And this last year in Chattanooga, we had a grand total of 6 inches. For the whole season.
Posted via Mobile Device

pektel
11-16-2010, 11:58 AM
Not the biggest snowstorm I was in, but the BEST one, was about 10 years ago. I drove about 300 miles through a whiteout blizzard to make it to a ski resort. Got SO damn much snow (forget exactly how much), but the mountain was still open. BEST snowbaording weekend of my life. No better place to be snowed in!

Secret Santa
11-16-2010, 12:34 PM
http://www.biggerboat.net/snowmiser/svh/smiser.jpg

markem
11-16-2010, 01:37 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sUL0KCIc48

Too many memories of growing up at 6000' in the Rockies where we had to get up every two hours to shovel snow. Often had over 5' of snow in the front yard.

Worst winter memory was having the car freeze solid for two weeks in spite of a lower radiator hose heater. Had to run extension cords out there and run high wattage bulbs to finally thaw it out. Standing temp was below -40* and wind chill was way south of that. Had to walk a lot, but met some nice people who offered rides.

Don't miss that at all.

Thammy
11-16-2010, 02:07 PM
I was about to laugh and say we have not got snow yet so far, until I looked out the window and alas it is finally snowing. I like cold weather.
Up here minus 50 weather and snowstorms are pretty regular so I cant really pick a standout day.

replicant_argent
11-16-2010, 02:24 PM
This one.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halloween_Blizzard
Had a blast, it was quite a time.

mhailey
11-16-2010, 02:37 PM
Blizzard of 1982 (http://www.thorntonweather.com/blog/colorado-weather/christmas-eve-blizzard-1982-the-best-of-denver-storms/)

I remember this so much as we flew out to Hawaii, and the flight I was on was the first flight to take off from Stapelton Airport after it was reopened from the Blizzard. My mom and dad had three kids, aged 7, 9 and 12, and we spent 36 hours in the closed airport. When we finally left we could not get seats together on the plane from Stapelton to LA (as every possible seat was filled). My Dad was very worried about having all of his kids spread out across the plane, and so he sat me down and firmly stated that "Matt, you don't have to scream this entire flight, I am only 9 rows up from you and you will be fine." (paraphrase, not actual quote). Both people on either side of me asked if he wanted to change seats with them, he then sat my sister and my brother on either side of me, and told my brother that "if you needed to vomit, use the little bag and don't turn your head to the side like you did last time." The person this his side asked if he wanted to change seats. in the end he got all three kids, himself and my mom in one row. Impressive move!!

Sled Dog
11-16-2010, 03:13 PM
:tu

I hope we get hit like that again this year. Can't wait to try out my new snowmobile.

Mine's not new, but I just had it clutched and re-charged the rear shock.... i'm getting the itch!!

Lumpold
11-16-2010, 03:27 PM
Did you guys hear much about the blizzards we had in Europe in January this year? I had the fun of driving 500miles home in a splitter van, through 5 countries, uphill, while the weather laid approx 5ft of snow over northern Europe! :tu

Brutus2600
11-16-2010, 03:36 PM
The worst snowstorm I've ever been in was at the beginning of this year...we got just over a foot of snow!

That's a lot for Texas :p

But seriously, Texans don't know how to handle it when it's just flurries much less actual accumulation. Everybody starts driving like morons and they're actually more dangerous than any accumulation on the road.

I didn't have to go to work though :r:r

Emjaysmash
11-16-2010, 03:43 PM
Did you guys hear much about the blizzards we had in Europe in January this year? I had the fun of driving 500miles home in a splitter van, through 5 countries, uphill, while the weather laid approx 5ft of snow over northern Europe! :tu

I was in London when it snowed a couple inches there and they had to fly salt in from neighboring countries. I also remember parts of the Tube were closed. Being from WI I thought the whole thing was quite amusing!

Lumpold
11-16-2010, 03:57 PM
Yeah, Britain was pathetic, what, early to mid December last year? The airports closed for less than 2 inches of snow. You would seriously have though we were in the tropics and had never seen snow. We sucked. Germany, early Jan, was far worse for snow, and far more efficient. Snow ploughs all over the motorways, gritters. I saw 4 accidents on the drive home. All of them were British. 3 of them were driving WRX Subaru Imprezzas. Tw@ts.

Bill86
11-16-2010, 04:06 PM
Ah the joys of living in TN instead of Michigan. I expect at most an inch on the ground at any given time.

Jbailey
11-16-2010, 04:15 PM
I don't mind snow, kinda use to it by now.

Just not a fan of 12 Inches of Snow. :r
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D39Lm_HRfOs&playnext=1&list=PLCA150854996A0038&index=3

VTDragon
11-16-2010, 04:22 PM
No specific storms to think of up here in Vermont, I'm just happy it had not started yet.

Wanger
11-16-2010, 06:37 PM
This one.

I was a senior in high school when that one hit. I remember we got about 6 inches during football practice. Took a while to dig out of my parents driveway the next day.

hotreds
11-16-2010, 07:30 PM
My sister and parents got nailed by the big snow in the DC area last year. We had 2 feet one year here, when we had to stay in a motel for two days because we were unable to come back to the house some 20 miles away via backroads.

In college I remember going to a basketball game in Buffalo after the worst of the snow from the storm the OP mentioned and the drifts were still as high as the street lamps! And up the road from Ithaca in Fulton they'd get five/six feet overnight from lake effect!

CRIMPS
11-16-2010, 07:47 PM
Born and raised in Alaska and I have spent more than a few nights at the cabin during snow storms. There is nothing more peaceful than watching the snow fall in the woods...

I miss home...

gvarsity
11-16-2010, 08:32 PM
This one.

This one for me too. Shut the city down for about four days because the snowplows were still fitted for leaf collection. I was in college and had a great time. Funny thing was around Thanksgiving that year there was another huge storm and they had it cleared by morning with no interruption because the plows were all set to go.

Blueface
11-17-2010, 06:10 AM
Florida kidding aside, will never forget my NJ send off in 1996.
Three months before moving (which ultimately made the decision easier and faster) we got hit with an epic storm in the NYC area.
32 inches. Shut down the area for 3 plus days.
Don't think I had ever seen that much snow in one fall before.

Sled Dog
11-17-2010, 07:07 AM
Born and raised in Alaska and I have spent more than a few nights at the cabin during snow storms. There is nothing more peaceful than watching the snow fall in the woods...

I miss home...

Truer words have never been spoken..... especially when there is no wind, big flakes are coming down, and its that time just before dusk when everything looks blue...... I do love those moments!

Gophernut
11-17-2010, 10:34 AM
This one for me too. Shut the city down for about four days because the snowplows were still fitted for leaf collection. I was in college and had a great time. Funny thing was around Thanksgiving that year there was another huge storm and they had it cleared by morning with no interruption because the plows were all set to go.

Yep same with me here. Left a night class at break because of the snow, and didn't have to go back for the week.

Got stuck up in St Cloud for the next one when me and my dad were visiting my brother who was going to school there.

Both were memorable fun times.

CRIMPS
11-17-2010, 10:35 AM
Truer words have never been spoken..... especially when there is no wind, big flakes are coming down, and its that time just before dusk when everything looks blue...... I do love those moments!

Amen! :)

BloodSpite
11-17-2010, 10:37 AM
With Thanksgiving right around the corner, that means winter is too.... For all you fellow Northerners, what was the craziest snowfall you've been in?

For me, here in Buffalo, we got over 70 inches in about 36 hours. I took my wife to see a movie that night, went in to the theater and the stars were out. We came out 2.5 hours later and there was a foot of snow on my car. The next day I was delivering cans of gas throughout the neighborhood via my snowmobile....

Let me guess...the 2001 Blizzard?

I was in Tonawanda/Amherst living in the Peppertree Apartments when that hit. I believe I still have pictures of the drift my old truck was in!

Also got caught up in the 1991 Blizzard in Georgia. Was without power for over 14 days.

Ironically I was born during the 1977 blizzard in Brunswick Maine.

My mother swears I must attract snow :P

RevSmoke
11-17-2010, 11:49 AM
Winter of 1994-95. I was in Connecticut and they had snow and nor'easters and it was a miserable winter with lots of the white stuff. They kept commenting, "Coming from Green Bay, you must have seen it much colder than this." Seems they all remember the Ice Bowl and think that is what it must normally be like in Wisconsin.

I just remember my dad visiting and stating, "Wow, you guys have a ton more snow that we do at home." And when he told people that, they were amazed.

gvarsity
11-17-2010, 01:38 PM
Yep same with me here. Left a night class at break because of the snow, and didn't have to go back for the week.

Got stuck up in St Cloud for the next one when me and my dad were visiting my brother who was going to school there.

Both were memorable fun times.

I walked to a party the night of the first storm and we walked right down the middle of University ave because there were no cars and no plows. (For non-MN people it's a 4 lane one way major street usually super busy)

I also just missed the huge 1993 march Blizzard http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1993_Storm_of_the_Century that shut down much of the east coast. I was in NJ for the year and left work early and drove to the airport and spent the night in the airport lobby sleeping on my bag. If I hadn't gone then I would never have made it to the airport. I had an early flight out, maybe 6:30ish, to Las Vegas to visit my folks. It was one of the last flights out before they shut down the airport. When I got back a month later they were still doing cleanup. The worst part was after it snowed it rained on like a foot of snow and saturated it and then it froze solid so there was a foot of ice on everything.

Another time in the 70's my family got stuck in a motel in Duluth for 3-4 days due to a blizzard.

Blizzards are adventures for sure.

Wanger
11-17-2010, 01:50 PM
Winter of 1994-95. I was in Connecticut and they had snow and nor'easters and it was a miserable winter with lots of the white stuff. They kept commenting, "Coming from Green Bay, you must have seen it much colder than this." Seems they all remember the Ice Bowl and think that is what it must normally be like in Wisconsin.

I just remember my dad visiting and stating, "Wow, you guys have a ton more snow that we do at home." And when he told people that, they were amazed.

Kinda like when I was in college in Grand Forks, ND...it had to be warm enough to snow, and for much of Dec-Feb, it wasn't. I don't miss that bone chilling cold. I remember one January it didn't get above 0*F for the entire MONTH.

jmsremax
11-17-2010, 02:06 PM
Blizzard of '78 for all the old timers up here in the Boston area :D

For me.....either two years ago Boston got 30" over the course of 3 days (I recall going to a BC basketball game on Sat) or 1996 our town got 23" in less than 48 hours.

Bring on the snow! :noon

Sled Dog
11-17-2010, 02:09 PM
Let me guess...the 2001 Blizzard?

I was in Tonawanda/Amherst living in the Peppertree Apartments when that hit. I believe I still have pictures of the drift my old truck was in!

Also got caught up in the 1991 Blizzard in Georgia. Was without power for over 14 days.

Ironically I was born during the 1977 blizzard in Brunswick Maine.

My mother swears I must attract snow :P

Exactly.... right around Christmas.... I was at the Regal in Williamsville when it started

BloodSpite
11-17-2010, 02:24 PM
Exactly.... right around Christmas.... I was at the Regal in Williamsville when it started
LOL!

I used to work at How-Dee's...then Club Infinity :)

E.J.
11-20-2010, 10:21 PM
Dumping here now.... Actually had to get on the roof to wipe down the dish to keep watching the game....

E.J.
11-21-2010, 09:45 AM
Well, just finished with snowthrowing my place, plus a few neighbors.... Not a huge amount, maybe 6+", but it was heavy.... Neighbor lost a tree to the weight.

The pup had his first run in a good snow.... Like most dogs, he seemed to love it...

http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/9334/sfirstsnow.jpg
http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/3853/sfirstsnow2.jpg

Sled Dog
11-22-2010, 07:49 AM
Well, just finished with snowthrowing my place, plus a few neighbors.... Not a huge amount, maybe 6+", but it was heavy.... Neighbor lost a tree to the weight.

The pup had his first run in a good snow.... Like most dogs, he seemed to love it...

Thats great! Great looking dog by the way too. Around here they are saying things might be brewing for the coming weekend, "the first significant lake effect snows of the season".

ashtonlady
11-22-2010, 12:15 PM
Snow in Seattle. Dont know when it is going to stop.

CRIMPS
11-22-2010, 12:21 PM

Great Picks!!! Great looking puppy dog, too.

larryinlc
11-22-2010, 01:42 PM
Now that winter is here, and I've had my new Subaru since May, I've discovered the greatest invention known to mankind. The remote start!:)

Larry

GolfNut
11-22-2010, 01:45 PM
blech. I'm tired of snow. It can go flock itself!

Not looking forward to -6 degrees tomorrow night either.

Lumpold
11-22-2010, 02:22 PM
blech. I'm tired of snow. It can go flock itself!

Not looking forward to -6 degrees tomorrow night either.

Right on.

Wanger
11-23-2010, 06:49 AM

Awesome pic!!!

Sailchaser
11-23-2010, 06:56 AM
The worst snow was also really neat. I was up at my brothers cabin in Breckridge at 10,314 feet and 3 feet of powder came down over night. The neat part was that you just used a leaf blower to clean the drive because the powder was so light.

E.J.
11-23-2010, 08:11 AM
Looks like we have a "Blizzard Warning" starting at 5:00 PM and going through the night to 8:00 AM.... Should be interesting....

Sled Dog
11-23-2010, 09:21 AM
Looks like we have a "Blizzard Warning" starting at 5:00 PM and going through the night to 8:00 AM.... Should be interesting....

It's the one thing I like about big storms.... it's not like living in Miami where a big storm can blow your roof off, or an earthquake in Cali... a big snow just means stoke up the fire, grab a beer & a stick and watch it pile up.

jmsremax
11-23-2010, 10:53 AM
Now that winter is here, and I've had my new Subaru since May, I've discovered the greatest invention known to mankind. The remote start!:)

Larry

2nd best invention.....AWD :noon

hammondc
11-23-2010, 11:15 AM
Thats great! Great looking dog by the way too. Around here they are saying things might be brewing for the coming weekend, "the first significant lake effect snows of the season".

Great looking Boxer. Ours has only been is snow once. She spent at least an our just standing there eating it.

BC-Axeman
11-23-2010, 11:56 AM
If we get 6" of snow then thousands of trees fall in the woods and our power goes out for days and the roads get blocked. The evergreen trees are not used to carrying that much weight because snow is rare here.
Hmm, that reminds me... I should have packed my chainsaw in the truck today.

e-man67
11-23-2010, 12:09 PM
I really hate the winter in general...I get out of work at 5 and by the time I get home it is dark...I also HATE cold weather with a passion especially since I can't smoke indoors (wife says no and Ohio has a smoking ban everywhere)...to top it all off I am seriously irked walking on snow...to me walking on snow is like fingernails scraping on a chalkboard or a fork scraping a porcelon plate to others..every step I take. :td

BloodSpite
11-23-2010, 12:13 PM
I love winter and Fall. Spring isn't bad.

Growing up in Georgia...summer holds a flavor that I'd rather just avoid all together.

Here in Missouri it's gorgeous when it snows or ice's. Dangerous, but beautiful. It doesn't stick around for months at a time to turn that Concrete grey/black color like it did when I lived in WNY either. So that makes it nice too. :tu

But the primary reason I like winter?

After growing up in Georgia: In winter you can always put more clothes on to get warm. In the summer you can only take so much off without getting arrested to get cool and the folks who shouldn't take more off usually are the ones who do!:eek:

maninblack
11-23-2010, 01:02 PM
I'm glad snow hasn't reached us...yet. But I know its around the corner and the weather can change at the drop of a hat. Jeeps don't like the ice so that can stay away. Snow I can deal with.

E.J.
11-29-2010, 08:28 AM
We have been getting DUMPED ON.... Would guess I have a minimum of 16" of accumulation at this point... Was out snowblowing twice yesterday, again this morning.

Sled Dog
11-29-2010, 09:23 AM
Just a dusting here after the weekend, most of the snow bands stayed south of Buffalo... It was good to see the snow though.

hammondc
11-29-2010, 09:57 AM
Pics??

SNKBYT
11-29-2010, 10:12 AM
:np

don't miss the stuff but still like pics of it

Sled Dog
11-29-2010, 11:22 AM
Pics??

i'll be sure to post some once we get a snowfall worth taking pics of!

E.J.
11-29-2010, 02:47 PM
Pics??

Not the best pic, but you get the idea....

http://img528.imageshack.us/img528/5070/snowk.jpg

Sled Dog
12-01-2010, 03:23 PM
Well we got a couple inches today, more coming on and off over the next few days.

Bailey likes the snow

http://i1001.photobucket.com/albums/af139/Tlox170/1201101655.jpg

SNKBYT
12-01-2010, 03:52 PM
for those that need it: Diary of a demented snow shoveler

December 8, 6:00 PM
It started to snow. The first snow of the season and the wife and I took our cocktails and sat for hours by the window watching the huge soft flakes drift down from heaven. It looked like a Grandma Moses print. So romantic we felt like newlyweds again. I love snow!

December 9
We woke to a beautiful blanket of crystal white snow covering every inch of the landscape. What a fantastic sight! Can there be a more lovely place in the whole world? Moving here was the best idea I’ve ever had! Shoveled for the first time in years and felt like a boy again. I did both our driveway and the sidewalks. This afternoon the snowplow came along and covered up the sidewalks and closed in the driveway, so I got to shovel again. What a perfect life!

December 12
The sun has melted all our lovely snow. Such a disappointment! My neighbor tells me not to worry- we’ll definitely have a white Christmas. No snow on Christmas would be awful! Bob says we’ll have so much snow by the end of winter, that I’ll never want to see snow again. I don’t think that’s possible. Bob is such a nice man, I’m glad he’s our neighbor.

December 14
Snow, lovely snow! 8 inches last night. The temperature dropped to -20. The cold makes everything sparkle so. The wind took my breath away, but I warmed up by shoveling the driveway and sidewalks. This is the life! The snowplow came back this afternoon and buried everything again. I didn’t realize I would have to do quite this much shoveling, but I’ll certainly get back in shape this way. I wish I wouldn’t huff and puff so.

December 15
20 inches forecast. Sold my van and bought a 4×4 Blazer. Bought snow tires for the wife’s car and 2 extra shovels. Stocked the freezer. The wife wants a wood stove in case the electricity goes out. I think that’s silly. We aren’t in Alaska , after all.

December 16
Ice storm this morning. Fell on my butt on the ice in the driveway putting down salt. Hurt like hell. The wife laughed for an hour, which I think was very cruel.

December 17
Still way below freezing. Roads are too icy to go anywhere. Electricity was off for 5 hours. I had to pile the blankets on to stay warm. Nothing to do but stare at the wife and try not to irritate her. Guess I should’ve bought a wood stove, but won’t admit it to her. I hate it when she’s right. I can’t believe I’m freezing to death in my own living room.

December 20
Electricity is back on, but had another 14 inches of the dang stuff last night. More shoveling! Took all day. The snowplow came by twice. Tried to find a neighbor kid to shovel, but they said they’re too busy playing hockey. I think they’re lying. Called the only hardware store around to see about buying a snow blower and they’re out. Might have another shipment in March. I think they’re lying. Bob says I have to shovel or the city will have it done and bill me. I think he’s lying.

December 22
Bob was right about a white Christmas because 13 more inches of the white crap fell today, and it’s so cold, it probably won’t melt till August. Took me 45 minutes to get all dressed up to go out to shovel and then I had to go to the bathroom. By the time I got undressed, made a visit to the bathroom and dressed again. I was too tired to shovel. Tried to hire Bob who has a plow on his truck for the rest of the winter, but he says he’s too busy. I think he’s is lying.

December 23
Only 2 inches of snow today. And it warmed up to 0. The wife wanted me to decorate the front of the house this morning. What is she, nuts?!! Why didn’t she tell me to do that a month ago? She says she did but I think she’s lying.

December 24
6 inches – Snow packed so hard by snowplow, I broke the shovel. Thought I was having a heart attack. If I ever catch that snowplow driver, I’ll drag him through the snow by his hair and beat him to death with my broken shovel. I know he hides around the corner and waits for me to finish shoveling and then he comes down the street at a 100 miles an hour and throws snow all over where I’ve just been! Tonight the wife wanted me to sing Christmas carols with her and open our presents, but I was too busy watching for the snowplow.

December 25
Merry Christmas! 20 more inches of the slop tonight – Snowed in. The idea of shoveling makes my blood boil. I hate the snow! Then the snowplow driver came by asking for a donation and I hit him over the head with my shovel. The wife says I have a bad attitude. I think she’s a fricking idiot. If I have to watch “It’s A Wonderful Life” one more time, I’m going to stuff her into the microwave.

December 26
Still snowed in. Why the hell did I ever move here? It was all HER idea. She’s really getting on my nerves.

December 27
Temperature dropped to -30 and the pipes froze; plumber came after 14 hours of waiting for him, he only charged me $1,400 to replace all my pipes.

December 28
Warmed up to above -20. Still snowed in. She is driving me crazy!!!

December 29
10 more inches. Bob says I have to shovel the roof or it could cave in. That’s the silliest thing I ever heard. How dumb does he think I am?

December 30
Roof caved in. I beat up the snow plow driver, and now he is suing me for a million dollars, not only for the beating I gave him, but also for trying to shove the broken snow shovel up his azz. The wife went home to her mother. Nine more inches predicted.

December 31
I set fire to what’s left of the house. No more shoveling.

January 8
Feel so good. I just love those little white pills they keep giving me. Why am I tied to the bed?

WaxingMoon
12-06-2010, 07:10 AM
I'm ready.....

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn88/evsallee/Firewood.jpg

Sled Dog
12-06-2010, 01:00 PM
I'm ready.....

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn88/evsallee/Firewood.jpg

Thats a great pic, makes me laugh whenever I see it...

As for the snow... Winter is definitely here

This is the latest 7 day forecasthttp://media2.wivb.com/weather/web_extended_pda.JPG

Sailchaser
12-06-2010, 08:07 PM
Thats a great pic, makes me laugh whenever I see it...

As for the snow... Winter is definitely here

This is the latest 7 day forecasthttp://media2.wivb.com/weather/web_extended_pda.JPG

Ice forming on the canal today BRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!

jmsremax
12-07-2010, 05:59 AM
Snow expected on Friday for Boston :noon

BC-Axeman
12-08-2010, 10:28 AM
It looks like 85% of the U.S. is going to be below freezing for days on end.
Hope everyone is prepared.

Wanger
12-08-2010, 11:23 AM
for those that need it: Diary of a demented snow shoveler

December 8, 6:00 PM
It started to snow. The first snow of the season and the wife and I took our cocktails and sat for hours by the window watching the huge soft flakes drift down from heaven. It looked like a Grandma Moses print. So romantic we felt like newlyweds again. I love snow!

December 9
We woke to a beautiful blanket of crystal white snow covering every inch of the landscape. What a fantastic sight! Can there be a more lovely place in the whole world? Moving here was the best idea I’ve ever had! Shoveled for the first time in years and felt like a boy again. I did both our driveway and the sidewalks. This afternoon the snowplow came along and covered up the sidewalks and closed in the driveway, so I got to shovel again. What a perfect life!

December 12
The sun has melted all our lovely snow. Such a disappointment! My neighbor tells me not to worry- we’ll definitely have a white Christmas. No snow on Christmas would be awful! Bob says we’ll have so much snow by the end of winter, that I’ll never want to see snow again. I don’t think that’s possible. Bob is such a nice man, I’m glad he’s our neighbor.

December 14
Snow, lovely snow! 8 inches last night. The temperature dropped to -20. The cold makes everything sparkle so. The wind took my breath away, but I warmed up by shoveling the driveway and sidewalks. This is the life! The snowplow came back this afternoon and buried everything again. I didn’t realize I would have to do quite this much shoveling, but I’ll certainly get back in shape this way. I wish I wouldn’t huff and puff so.

December 15
20 inches forecast. Sold my van and bought a 4×4 Blazer. Bought snow tires for the wife’s car and 2 extra shovels. Stocked the freezer. The wife wants a wood stove in case the electricity goes out. I think that’s silly. We aren’t in Alaska , after all.

December 16
Ice storm this morning. Fell on my butt on the ice in the driveway putting down salt. Hurt like hell. The wife laughed for an hour, which I think was very cruel.

December 17
Still way below freezing. Roads are too icy to go anywhere. Electricity was off for 5 hours. I had to pile the blankets on to stay warm. Nothing to do but stare at the wife and try not to irritate her. Guess I should’ve bought a wood stove, but won’t admit it to her. I hate it when she’s right. I can’t believe I’m freezing to death in my own living room.

December 20
Electricity is back on, but had another 14 inches of the dang stuff last night. More shoveling! Took all day. The snowplow came by twice. Tried to find a neighbor kid to shovel, but they said they’re too busy playing hockey. I think they’re lying. Called the only hardware store around to see about buying a snow blower and they’re out. Might have another shipment in March. I think they’re lying. Bob says I have to shovel or the city will have it done and bill me. I think he’s lying.

December 22
Bob was right about a white Christmas because 13 more inches of the white crap fell today, and it’s so cold, it probably won’t melt till August. Took me 45 minutes to get all dressed up to go out to shovel and then I had to go to the bathroom. By the time I got undressed, made a visit to the bathroom and dressed again. I was too tired to shovel. Tried to hire Bob who has a plow on his truck for the rest of the winter, but he says he’s too busy. I think he’s is lying.

December 23
Only 2 inches of snow today. And it warmed up to 0. The wife wanted me to decorate the front of the house this morning. What is she, nuts?!! Why didn’t she tell me to do that a month ago? She says she did but I think she’s lying.

December 24
6 inches – Snow packed so hard by snowplow, I broke the shovel. Thought I was having a heart attack. If I ever catch that snowplow driver, I’ll drag him through the snow by his hair and beat him to death with my broken shovel. I know he hides around the corner and waits for me to finish shoveling and then he comes down the street at a 100 miles an hour and throws snow all over where I’ve just been! Tonight the wife wanted me to sing Christmas carols with her and open our presents, but I was too busy watching for the snowplow.

December 25
Merry Christmas! 20 more inches of the slop tonight – Snowed in. The idea of shoveling makes my blood boil. I hate the snow! Then the snowplow driver came by asking for a donation and I hit him over the head with my shovel. The wife says I have a bad attitude. I think she’s a fricking idiot. If I have to watch “It’s A Wonderful Life” one more time, I’m going to stuff her into the microwave.

December 26
Still snowed in. Why the hell did I ever move here? It was all HER idea. She’s really getting on my nerves.

December 27
Temperature dropped to -30 and the pipes froze; plumber came after 14 hours of waiting for him, he only charged me $1,400 to replace all my pipes.

December 28
Warmed up to above -20. Still snowed in. She is driving me crazy!!!

December 29
10 more inches. Bob says I have to shovel the roof or it could cave in. That’s the silliest thing I ever heard. How dumb does he think I am?

December 30
Roof caved in. I beat up the snow plow driver, and now he is suing me for a million dollars, not only for the beating I gave him, but also for trying to shove the broken snow shovel up his azz. The wife went home to her mother. Nine more inches predicted.

December 31
I set fire to what’s left of the house. No more shoveling.

January 8
Feel so good. I just love those little white pills they keep giving me. Why am I tied to the bed?

Typical winter in MN. And the temps were normal for this time of year when I was in college in Grand Forks (yes, literally). We'd have an entire month below zero every year (usually January).

SNKBYT
12-08-2010, 12:46 PM
Typical winter in MN. And the temps were normal for this time of year when I was in college in Grand Forks (yes, literally). We'd have an entire month below zero every year (usually January).

I grew up in NH but don't miss the cold or the snow

G G
12-08-2010, 01:55 PM
Ok God you can stop playing around now, they are calling for possible flurries here tonight.

Sled Dog
12-08-2010, 02:13 PM
Ok God you can stop playing around now, they are calling for possible flurries here tonight.

Wow, FLA getting in on the action!

G G
12-08-2010, 02:20 PM
Wow, FLA getting in on the action!
Well I doubt it will actually happen, but the news says it's possible.:tu

E.J.
12-30-2010, 01:56 PM
Had a little snow overnight.... I went out this AM and spent the better part of 4 hours clearing it from my driveway and 7-8 neighbors.... Here is a pic with my trusty helper.... She was a champ and spent a solid 2.5+ hours helping the best she could... (she was rewarded with a few sled tied to a 4Wheeler rides up and down the streets while I finished up my last 2 driveways, wish I had pics of that:o)

http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/9220/snowstormh.jpg

Kane is getting a morning workout as well.....

http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/7067/kaneh.jpg

Springsman
12-30-2010, 02:03 PM
Finally getting some cooler weather here in CO...55* and sunny yesterday, snowing now and 15* tomorrow.

E.J.
03-08-2011, 09:08 AM
Well, March 8 and I woke up to aout 8" of snow.... Pleased I didn't put the snowblower away for the year.....