PDA

View Full Version : Another decent (IMHO) show canceled: Caprica

Eleven
11-09-2010, 11:46 PM
Another screwed up attempt, splitting the first season into 2, just like Flash Forward.

I am sure they will come up with 'reality' show to replace it, maybe some more ghost hunters, or meteor guys. That seems to be all the dumb masses want these days.

Forget having to actually think about what you just saw, or God forbid, re-watch it to understand any complexities you missed the first time. No, we'd rather watch fat people chase other fat people to repossess their cars, or we'd rather watch greedy people travel the country ripping collectors off and making profits off of them.

Way to go Syfy, help us dumb-down a little more, we're not doing it fast enough on our own.

/rant off

:sh

akumushi
11-10-2010, 03:14 AM
I can't say I ever saw this show, so I'm not takling about it in particular, but
what I have to say certainly applies to pre-maturely cancelled shows that I've
liked in the past. The fact is, the big networks rely on the ratings of the
masses and don't care about true quality and intelligently programmed
material because frankly, it doesn't sell.
There was an interesting program on NPR today about the rise of niche
market oriented cable and premium channel television today. That is where
the brains and the quality go these days, and many quality shows are coming
out as a result of the more highly focuses channels. It's a shame that
television producers don't hold themselves to higher standards, because TV
at its best can be as good, if not even better, than film when it is done right.
I think HBO is still at the pinnacle of Television as Art. But sometimes good
shows get pitched to and bought by the wrong networks, or placed at the
wrong time slot and they get cancelled as a result. It sucks for the die-hard
fans, but in the end, that's the business. It takes 4-10 million dollars to
make an average episode, so you can't expect the business oriented
executives to make good television for television's sake at that price tag.
:sad

Kreth
11-10-2010, 05:21 AM
I can't think of a single original SyFy (barf) show that I've enjoyed. Instead, they've killed a number of my favorites: SG-1, Atlantis, Farscape, Lexx (OK, a guilty pleasure). And what's up with them airing one of the WWE shows? That'd be like having Springer on ESPN.
Posted via Mobile Device

Bunker
11-10-2010, 06:29 AM
I don't think I have ever watched anything on SyFy, not even sure if I get that channel.

Eleven
11-10-2010, 06:35 AM
That is where
the brains and the quality go these days, and many quality shows are coming
out as a result of the more highly focuses channels.

Amen. Check out AMC!

Lautréamont
11-10-2010, 06:46 AM
This was a guilty pleasure for me. It started great but degenerated into a soap opera with lots of hats and cigarettes as props.

PeteSB75
11-10-2010, 07:10 AM
I can't think of a single original SyFy (barf) show that I've enjoyed. Instead, they've killed a number of my favorites: SG-1, Atlantis, Farscape, Lexx (OK, a guilty pleasure). And what's up with them airing one of the WWE shows? That'd be like having Springer on ESPN.
Posted via Mobile Device

Not sure if you can say they killed SG-1, since there were what, 10 seasons? Battlestar Galactica was a SciFi original, when they were still an actual niche network. Best shows these days are on FX, AMC and the premium channels.

McSmokey
11-10-2010, 07:25 AM
Another screwed up attempt, splitting the first season into 2, just like Flash Forward.

I am sure they will come up with 'reality' show to replace it, maybe some more ghost hunters, or meteor guys. That seems to be all the dumb masses want these days.

Forget having to actually think about what you just saw, or God forbid, re-watch it to understand any complexities you missed the first time. No, we'd rather watch fat people chase other fat people to repossess their cars, or we'd rather watch greedy people travel the country ripping collectors off and making profits off of them.

Way to go Syfy, help us dumb-down a little more, we're not doing it fast enough on our own.

/rant off

:sh

I read somewhere that they are picking a new spin-off of BSG over this one can't remember the title but it's supposed to be more like BSG as far as Action:Storyline ratio.

boom
11-10-2010, 07:33 AM
Frak!!!!

replicant_argent
11-10-2010, 07:53 AM
I read somewhere that they are picking a new spin-off of BSG over this one can't remember the title but it's supposed to be more like BSG as far as Action:Storyline ratio.

That sounds like a good thing.