PDA

View Full Version : New to forum

NYCpuffer
11-06-2010, 08:58 PM
Hello all, my name is charlie and i have just really got into cigars in the last 2 months or so. I have smoked cigars every once in a while for the last 4 years. Mostly just Acid cigars with my old boss but i just got married and decided to get all my groomsmen humidors and cigars. So that made me get into cigars much more. I bought a 50 cigar glass top humidor kit with the cheap round humidifier and the analog hygromider. I just updgraded to a digital hygrometer and just ordered a better humidifier.

My current stock includes a bunch of pretty cheap bundles that i bought to fill all the groomsmens humidors...I just got back from my honeymoon in europe so i brought back some Montecristo Cubans. I paid $55 for 5 No. 3 Montes. Is that a decent price?

I have smoked cohiba cubans while in Dominican Republic and while i was in europe.

Looking to buy a few single cigars in the $15-$30 range. Any suggestions?

Thanks and i will be looking through a lot of your posts tonight and look forward to being a member of this forum.

Charlie

icehog3
11-06-2010, 09:03 PM
Welcome to the Asylum, Charlie. :ss

$15 is a lot for singles until you get an idea of exactly what you like, I would suggest buying samplers at your local cigar shop or maybe even from one of the cigar websites. Lots of great $5 cigars out there!

Bill86
11-06-2010, 09:10 PM
Also you mention Cubans a lot, are we talking NC or CC at $15-$30 a stick?

I agree with Tom my favorite cigar costs $9.99 a stick even at a B&M. How much you spend doesn't always mean you get that much. Sometimes more and sometimes less.

But if you want pricey cigars.....NC
Opus X (anything in this line is $12 up)
God of Fire (I've never seen them under $17-20 a stick)
Casa Fuente (yet to try these but again...$25+)
Higher end Padrons..... (80th anniversary)
Higher end Tatuaje (Black tubos, Limiteds)
Davidoff

If you want a good example...Ask Tom about Gurkha, you'll pay $30-$35 for something that tastes like dirt. Cost doesn't dictate quality.

Oh and ...Welcome! You're 50 cigar humidor is going to be a 300-400 in no time, probably a few shiny coolers in your future too.

NYCpuffer
11-06-2010, 09:14 PM
thanks guys, not sure what NC an CC means. I have only smoked habana cubanos cohibas and monte cristos while over seas. But like i said i did sneak back a few cubans from spain the other day.

I was thinking of buying only like 2 or 3 $15-$20 cigars for my collection then would like to purchase like 20 $5-$10 cigars as well.

Thanks for the replies.

Bill86
11-06-2010, 09:18 PM
Non Cuban and Cuban Cigar

I would find a good local B&M and just buy singles from top brands. See what you like then order boxes of them online or 5'ers.

icehog3
11-06-2010, 09:18 PM
Bill has some excellent suggestions for those higher end sticks. :tu

sobranie10
11-06-2010, 09:20 PM
$15 is a lot for singles until you get an idea of exactly what you like, I would suggest buying samplers at your local cigar shop or maybe even from one of the cigar websites. Lots of great $5 cigars out there![/QUOTE]

Do a lot of looking and reading, lot of good people here lots to learn Welcome to Asylum. :tu

Bill86
11-06-2010, 09:22 PM
Bill has some excellent suggestions for those higher end sticks. :tu

No surprise 3.5 months here.....It'll do that to you :tu That and I've got all you crazy bastids recommending me sticks.

NYCpuffer
11-06-2010, 09:27 PM
ok thanks guys..yeah i was talking about CC.

I have a pretty good cigar store near me but i have noticed they are way over priced compaired to online stores. Living in NY might have something to do with that as well.

Is there much of a difference in taste with the Dominican cohibas/montes/romeos compared with the cubans?

I am going to take all of your advise and buy a middle of the line sampler package..

I know i love a lot of the Acid cigars but they are so overpriced at all the cigar stores around NYC.

thanks again.

icehog3
11-06-2010, 09:29 PM
Is there much of a difference in taste with the Dominican cohibas/montes/romeos compared with the cubans?

They are completely different cigars with absolutely nothing in common besides the name, Charlie.

NYCpuffer
11-06-2010, 09:30 PM
ok thanks icehog..so the 5 CC montecristos I have will be much different from the DR montecristos?

Bill86
11-06-2010, 09:34 PM
Most definitely. You probably wouldn't even know they were the same company. As Tom said....COMPLETELY different.

NYCpuffer
11-06-2010, 09:35 PM
Ok thanks..So will my CC monte necessarily be better than a DR monte? Or is it just a different taste? Just want to know if it is worth it spending the money on the Cubans.

Thanks

CigarNut
11-06-2010, 09:37 PM
Welcome to the Asylum Charlie! Pull up a chair and have a cigar :ss

Bill86
11-06-2010, 09:38 PM
Ok thanks..So will my CC monte necessarily be better than a DR monte? Or is it just a different taste? Just want to know if it is worth it spending the money on the Cubans.

Thanks

They aren't better, just different. You would have to decide which you like better cubans or non cubans. For me it's a bit of both.

icehog3
11-06-2010, 09:38 PM
Most definitely. You probably wouldn't even know they were the same company. As Tom said....COMPLETELY different.

They actually aren't even the same company. Just Cuban names for companies in other parts of the World.

Thanks

You will have to judge for yourself, taste is subjective.

I like lots of Non-Cuban cigars, but Non-Cuban Montes, Romeos and Cohibas are not among them. :2

DaBear
11-06-2010, 09:41 PM
^The only thing that'll be similar is the name on the band; different tobacco(ie where its grown, where seeds are from, and types), different blends, different rollers. Basically the whole Cuban embargo means we also don't recognize Cuban copyrights, etc. and so the Cuban companies can stake no claim on the names in the US.

As for recommendations, Brickhouses are nice(~$6 for a churchill), anything Padron or Fuente is good IMO, most Olivas are good, and I'm a fan of Perdomo's in general. Again, just try a bunch of different things at first until you begin to find you're niche as far as flavor profiles.

Bill86
11-06-2010, 09:41 PM
Yeah I meant same name, not company it was a poor choice of words. I like Cohiba NC, Monte NC and Romeo NC, same with CC just haven't tried CC Cohibas yet. Someday.

NYCpuffer
11-06-2010, 09:45 PM
awesome, thanks a lot everyone..just learned more about cigars in the last 20 mins then in my whole life...also prob saved myself a shitload of money.

So i guess now is just some cigar buying site recomendations if thats allowed.

Thanks again.

Bill86
11-06-2010, 09:46 PM
Not for Cubans, that's not allowed here. As far as Non cubans, cigarsatyourprice and cigarsinternational.

icehog3
11-06-2010, 09:47 PM
awesome, thanks a lot everyone..just learned more about cigars in the last 20 mins then in my whole life...also prob saved myself a shitload of money.

So i guess now is just some cigar buying site recomendations if thats allowed.

Thanks again.

Just keep it to Non-Cuban sites, Charlie, we don't allow discussion of Cuban cigar vendors on Cigar Asylum. :)

NYCpuffer
11-06-2010, 09:50 PM
I was just in Europe for my honeymoon and had a couple CC cohibas and Me even as a beginner can tell the difference between them and the cheaper habanas all the smoke shops have..But paying 20 Euros for a stoge wasnt that fun.

Last time i was in Dominican i also had a few CC cohibas and some DR cohibas.. and i think the CC were about 10 US dollars more than the DR cohibas. For the price i think i can deal with the DR's.

NYCpuffer
11-06-2010, 09:51 PM
Oh no i am talking about non cubans...i will stick to smoking cubans while im out of the states.

icehog3
11-06-2010, 09:51 PM
Check this out for places to buy cigars, Charlie:

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1612

NYCpuffer
11-06-2010, 09:52 PM
Sick...thanks.

NYCpuffer
11-06-2010, 09:54 PM
Question....I live in an apartment in ny. so most of the time im smoking either standing by a window or in my car....what is the best way to smoke a cigar for a few mins then stop then start again???

What i have been doing is smoke then let it go out then cut off the head before i smoke again..is that the way to go?

thanks

icehog3
11-06-2010, 09:58 PM
Best to pick cigars that are short enough to finish in one sitting...Lots of good 20-30 minute cigars out there.

I am not a big fan of relighting a cigar that has been out more than 1/2 hour or so, and neither are the majority of cigar smokers I know.

NYCpuffer
11-06-2010, 10:10 PM
ok thanks. I have some cheap ones that i have lit more than once in a few hours..but when i smoke my expensive ones i will make sure i have the time to smoke it fully.

icehog3
11-06-2010, 10:11 PM
ok thanks. I have some cheap ones that i have lit more than once in a few hours..but when i smoke my expensive ones i will make sure i have the time to smoke it fully.

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa73/icehog3/borat-232x300-1.jpg

MedicCook
11-06-2010, 10:14 PM
Welcome to the Asylum.

joeobx
11-06-2010, 10:15 PM
Welcome Charlie, there is a ton of great info here, just look through the threads, strap on the skis and put on the straight jacket and have a blast. Check out Cigar Bid, Famous Smokes and find some samplers to try. Read the review threads, there is even a cheap smokes thread that has a lot of good smokes on them.

x man
11-06-2010, 10:21 PM
Welcome and try Holts mail order

NYCpuffer
11-06-2010, 10:25 PM
great thanks everyone.

kelmac07
11-07-2010, 09:45 AM
Welcome to the MADHOUSE!!

Don't overlook the Viaje line! :dr