kelmac07
11-04-2010, 07:09 PM
WOW!!!

GTsetGO
11-04-2010, 07:11 PM
damn. didn't know anything about this.

Doctorossi
11-04-2010, 07:11 PM
Looks like somebody wants to own a brand or three of his own.

gijoey959
11-04-2010, 07:28 PM
Haha, I looked over at the signed Cain habano box and Cain F hat I have from this year and feel really lucky now :tu

Sucks to hear, maybe he'll figure out some brands of his own

Skywalker
11-04-2010, 07:31 PM
Sam will land on his feet!!!

Good luck Sam!!!:tu

forgop
11-04-2010, 08:21 PM
Interesting...it just so happens that nublive appears to be deactivated as well.

CigarNut
11-04-2010, 08:28 PM
WOW!!!:tpd:

docdoty
11-04-2010, 09:30 PM
I wonder what happened. He will def create his own brand

bscottskangum
11-04-2010, 09:34 PM
I know that the article states that Oliva owns the Cain brand, but without Sam on board I wonder if they will go the way of the cloth bands :hm

forgop
11-04-2010, 09:36 PM
I know that the article states that Oliva owns the Cain brand, but without Sam on board I wonder if they will go the way of the cloth bands :hm

Why use cloth bands? It would have to add a higher cost and frankly, there's nothing gained in doing cloth bands.

bscottskangum
11-04-2010, 09:37 PM
Why use cloth bands? It would have to add a higher cost and frankly, there's nothing gained in doing cloth bands.

Missed my point....the discontinued Oliva cloth band cigars...wondering if they will end up ceasing production without Sam a part of the company

sikk50
11-04-2010, 09:40 PM
I thought they were already looking at eliminating the Cain line anyway?

I could be way off IIRC someone at a local b and m mentioned that.

forgop
11-04-2010, 09:43 PM
Missed my point....the discontinued Oliva cloth band cigars...wondering if they will end up ceasing production without Sam a part of the company

Gotcha. I didn't stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night. :D

I wouldn't think they'd eliminate the Cains. Seems like the reviews have always been pretty good on them. Nubs maybe, but not the Cains.

bscottskangum
11-04-2010, 09:49 PM
Gotcha. I didn't stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night. :D

I wouldn't think they'd eliminate the Cains. Seems like the reviews have always been pretty good on them. Nubs maybe, but not the Cains.

You wouldn't think, but like I said they might end up going away like the cloth bands did. I'm sure alot goes into whether or not a cigars production is continued, I'll just be curious to see if the removal of Sam from the equation will tip the scales. Might end up with a blend change or rebranding but it will be interesting to see how everything works out.

BengalMan
11-04-2010, 10:12 PM

Production is full steam ahead.
I thought they were already looking at eliminating the Cain line anyway?

I could be way off IIRC someone at a local b and m mentioned that.

That couldn't be farther from the truth. Cain is highly successful and continues to grow and expand in 2011. Nub has been a hit since the day it was released and it remains so to this day.

You wouldn't think, but like I said they might end up going away like the cloth bands did. I'm sure alot goes into whether or not a cigars production is continued, I'll just be curious to see if the removal of Sam from the equation will tip the scales. Might end up with a blend change or rebranding but it will be interesting to see how everything works out.

There will be no blend changing and no re-branding of any of the lines. Cain and Nub have always been produced and owned by Oliva. Nothing has changed on that side of things.

gijoey959
11-04-2010, 10:23 PM
Good to know my precious Cain Maduros won't change :r I wish my B&M had them when I bought the box of habanos at the Cain tour.

forgop
11-04-2010, 10:56 PM
Am I reading this right? Oliva created this Studio Tobac to be a spinoff of sorts and the stage is set for Sam to "part ways" with Oliva, but the door appears to be wide open for his creations there. In other words, let's create a lot of buzz about what's going on for all the talk so we can announce his new position all while under the Oliva umbrella. Am I way out in left field with this?

nick2021
11-04-2010, 11:43 PM
surprising news!

icehog3
11-05-2010, 12:23 AM
Between this and Glorbal Warming, I don't know how I will sleep tonight.

guado
11-05-2010, 04:33 AM

That will never happen. Bigger and better things are on the horizon!

BengalMan
11-05-2010, 05:46 AM
Am I reading this right? Oliva created this Studio Tobac to be a spinoff of sorts and the stage is set for Sam to "part ways" with Oliva, but the door appears to be wide open for his creations there. In other words, let's create a lot of buzz about what's going on for all the talk so we can announce his new position all while under the Oliva umbrella. Am I way out in left field with this?

Yes, your way out in left field, all by yourself, lol.

RRocket
11-05-2010, 06:33 AM
I guess I'll be the jerk for saying it...

I've only met Sam at an event, and do not know him personally. Having said that, I got the impression that Sam's image (his style in general) was as important as the cigars he was promoting and was almost a "brand" unto itself. I've often wondered to myself if that self branding ("Sam Leccia IS NUB/Cain cigars!") was ever going to be in conflict with Oliva someway and that someday Sam would seek to expand on his image.

boom
11-05-2010, 07:17 AM
It will be interesting to see where he lands... I am sure he'll pop up with something new and amazing....

replicant_argent
11-05-2010, 07:28 AM

It makes me a little twitchy too...

The only thing that would make it better would be if Sam teamed up with Christian Audiger/Ed Hardy......

shilala
11-05-2010, 07:31 AM
I guess I'll be the jerk for saying it...

I've only met Sam at an event, and do not know him personally. Having said that, I got the impression that Sam's image (his style in general) was as important as the cigars he was promoting and was almost a "brand" unto itself. I've often wondered to myself if that self branding ("Sam Leccia IS NUB/Cain cigars!") was ever going to be in conflict with Oliva someway and that someday Sam would seek to expand on his image.

Sam branded himself into oblivion with a good number of the brothers here awhile back. Tom still has a man crush on him, so at least he can hang on to that.

Da Klugs
11-05-2010, 07:52 AM
It's possible that Sam finally got exposed to a corona sized cigar and had an epiphany. Hey these are great, what was I thinking? Hard to continue the evangelical promotion when your heart lies elsewhere. :r

Or - the owners of the old line cigar company possibly wanted to take back control of the dialog from their self promoting front man.

Or - There's only room in town for one sheriff kind of thing is the most likely scenario. He'll pop up elsewhere. Maybe K Hansottia will bring him on as his "Master blender".

Pretty difficult to start a vertically integrated cigar manufacturing company from scratch - so assume mucho hype, but in the end a known company will be making the "Leecias" or By "Sam Leecias".

MajorCaptSilly
11-05-2010, 07:59 AM
Ernie Carillo is no longer associated with LGC and they are still running and expanding.

MCS

mmblz
11-05-2010, 08:06 AM
... in related news, I finally threw these out the other day:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpqttlqEn2s

:D

forgop
11-05-2010, 08:12 AM
Yes, your way out in left field, all by yourself, lol.

Just a conspiracy theory for the "free" PR that would come about as a result. :tf

Brutus2600
11-05-2010, 08:12 AM
Interesting...it just so happens that nublive appears to be deactivated as well.

It's been down for a couple of weeks, the word from Sam on his twitter was that it would be back up soon and they were switching web teams. Coincidence? Probably not, but who knows.

I've never heard anybody say anything bad about Sam, and I've always gotten the impression from everybody I've ever talked to about him that he's a very down to earth, nice, generous BOTL. I don't know him personally so I can't attest to that fact myself, but going off what I've heard I couldn't do anything but wish him the best in his future endeavors.

icehog3
11-05-2010, 08:17 AM
... in related news, I finally threw these out the other day:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpqttlqEn2s

I use those to cut all my Nubs.

gijoey959
11-05-2010, 08:28 AM
Sam is a pretty cool guy, eh is involved with tobacco and doesn't afraid of anything

In all seriousness, he seems like an awesome guy, I talked with him for the whole cain/nub event pretty much and he seems like "just a guy" and not so much a brand creator/promoter... or whatever he is :r He just seems very down to earth on a sales level, its not like other reps who get there and immediately start blasting you with how their line of cigars is the best, etc...

I'm sure he'll land on his feet with something, while I was there, he was talking about a cigar that was "ready to smoke" as in, both ends came pre-clipped and all you had to do was light it. I'd personally at least try that, it sounds like a cool gimmick at the very least

Brutus2600
11-05-2010, 08:37 AM
I'm sure he'll land on his feet with something, while I was there, he was talking about a cigar that was "ready to smoke" as in, both ends came pre-clipped and all you had to do was light it. I'd personally at least try that, it sounds like a cool gimmick at the very least

Hrmm...I'd make a joke about Swisher Sweets, but J. Fuego has had pretty good reviews with their recent Origen Original that doesn't need cut.

shilala
11-05-2010, 08:51 AM
I use those to cut all my Nubs.
With laser guided precision, you can simply excise the sweet spot and snort it.

Emjaysmash
11-05-2010, 09:04 AM

:r

x man
11-05-2010, 09:24 AM

lmao

icehog3
11-05-2010, 10:44 AM

MMMM....sweet spot.

Darrell
11-05-2010, 11:16 AM
ZOMG no more Sam at Oliva. :D

poker
11-05-2010, 11:23 AM
who? :)

massphatness
11-05-2010, 11:43 AM
http://kontraband.se/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/panic.gif

Slow Triathlete
11-05-2010, 12:05 PM
Doesn't really effect me.

As long as they keep putting out the G Series and the V Lanceros it doesn't rock my boat.

Brutus2600
11-05-2010, 12:10 PM
Is there a reason some of you genuinely seem to dislike Sam besides your dislike for Nubs? I mean...I'm honestly interested in knowing why if you do, because all I've heard are good things about the guy and I'd hate to keep thinking that if he's some huge d*ck or something.

I'm not trying to troll or anything, I'm really am just curious. If you want to take it to PM or just post it here, either way. It's just inquiring minds want to know :confused:

massphatness
11-05-2010, 12:15 PM
I find him to be a tiny bit Favre-like in that he comes across as a narcissistic know-it-all. I drank the Kool-Aid way back when too. My opinion only.

Darrell
11-05-2010, 12:17 PM
His cigars suck ass. That's reason enough for me to not like him. :D

Brutus2600
11-05-2010, 12:21 PM
I find him to be a tiny bit Favre-like in that he comes across as a narcissistic know-it-all. I drank the Kool-Aid way back when too. My opinion only.

That's what I asked for :) Thanks for the input

His cigars suck ass. That's reason enough for me to not like him. :D

Understandable, at least I know where your comments are coming from now :=:

Da Klugs
11-05-2010, 01:02 PM
Is there a reason some of you genuinely seem to dislike Sam besides your dislike for Nubs? I mean...I'm honestly interested in knowing why if you do, because all I've heard are good things about the guy and I'd hate to keep thinking that if he's some huge d*ck or something.

I'm not trying to troll or anything, I'm really am just curious. If you want to take it to PM or just post it here, either way. It's just inquiring minds want to know :confused:

http://www.toptenz.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/pt-barnum.jpg

In case the reference is lost... it's P T Barnum in the pic.

The issue has to do with this board and the intentions of those that participate and contribute. When someone is here for the sole purpose of promoting thier business interests... they are a vendor not a brother. Nothing wrong with that, just that at times folks seem to confuse the issue and there are a number of folks here that choose to put forth reminders on the subject when it gets too much to bear. There are others that although they are vendors also participate in the community and are considered brothers ...with benefits. Understanding the distinction between the 2 is the issue for interpreting comments of folks here.

That and the fact that many view the "sweet spot" promotion as Marketing huey. Some worship the concept on a (Nub)stand - some don't. Its a free country.

Brutus2600
11-05-2010, 01:20 PM
The issue has to do with this board and the intentions of those that participate and contribute. When someone is here for the sole purpose of promoting thier business interests... they are a vendor not a brother. Nothing wrong with that, just that at times folks seem to confuse the issue and there are a number of folks here that choose to put forth reminders on the subject when it gets too much to bear. There are others that although they are vendors also participate in the community and are considered brothers ...with benefits. Understanding the distinction between the 2 is the issue for interpreting comments of folks here.

I think this clears a lot of it up. Thanks for the post :tu

ahc4353
11-05-2010, 01:44 PM
I really wish it was Monday.

mmblz
11-05-2010, 01:56 PM
http://www.toptenz.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/pt-barnum.jpg

In case the reference is lost... it's P T Barnum in the pic.

That and the fact that many view the "sweet spot" promotion as Marketing huey. Some worship the concept on a (Nub)stand - some don't. Its a free country.

Further shades of gray - some vendors who only post about their business are at least humble and responsive, two qualities I have not seen from Sam. This was more exaggerated at "the old place" where he posted he would be around to answer questions, immediately got some honest and interesting questions, and promptly disappeared.

icehog3
11-05-2010, 02:08 PM
Further shades of gray - some vendors who only post about their business are at least humble and responsive, two qualities I have not seen from Sam. This was more exaggerated at "the old place" where he posted he would be around to answer questions, immediately got some honest and interesting questions, and promptly disappeared.

Right after he chastized the Mod Team for not allowing him immediate access to all Forums, as making him wait the 24 hours that everyone else had to wait was "ridiculous".

Doctorossi
11-05-2010, 02:10 PM

Uh-oh! Tom's Nub itches. :r

Brutus2600
11-05-2010, 02:11 PM

Right after he chastized the Mod Team for not allowing him immediate access to all Forums, as making him wait the 24 hours that everyone else had to wait was "ridiculous".

Hrmm, both things that I wasn't aware of.

As with the previous posts, thank you for your info/input :tu

Brutus2600
11-05-2010, 02:12 PM
Uh-oh! Tom's Nub itches. :r

They have medication for that :r

Da Klugs
11-05-2010, 02:12 PM

Hey he's a busy guy. :rolleyes:

Doctorossi
11-05-2010, 02:13 PM

What would Sam Leccia know about things that are ridiculous?

NCRadioMan
11-05-2010, 02:32 PM
http://www.guillaume-tesson.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/nubcreator.png http://i902.photobucket.com/albums/ac224/Raven6_photos/Funny%20stuff/bugs-bunny-maroon.jpg

Doctorossi
11-05-2010, 02:34 PM
Some rock, eyeroll. :rolleyes:

:hy

pnoon
11-05-2010, 02:50 PM
He definitely threw a tantrum. He demanded we grant him access. Didn't respectfully ask. Demanded he be treated differently. Needless to say, that went over like a fart at a funeral.
Posted via Mobile Device

GTsetGO
11-05-2010, 02:51 PM
He definitely threw a tantrum. He demanded we grant him access. Didn't respectfully ask. Demanded he be treated differently. Needless to say, that went over like a fart at a funeral.
Posted via Mobile Device

what, you say that like it isn't a good thing.

Skywalker
11-05-2010, 02:53 PM

He said it like he's never done it!!!:rolleyes:

pnoon
11-05-2010, 02:53 PM
Which?
The tantrum or the fart? :pn
Posted via Mobile Device

NCRadioMan
11-05-2010, 02:54 PM

You, obviously, havn't hung out with Peter. :pn

GTsetGO
11-05-2010, 02:54 PM
the tantrum

not so much worried about the tantrum :D

GTsetGO
11-05-2010, 02:55 PM
You, obviously, havn't hung out with Peter. :pn

if he's anything like a couple of my techs, then no thanks. :confused:

Bill86
11-05-2010, 03:06 PM
I've no interest in nub so this bothers me little. I do need to smoke more olivas though, only smoked the G and V.

From what you guys are saying dude wasn't very cool anyways.

The Poet
11-05-2010, 03:13 PM
Maybe it's just me, but I just don't get all this angst. When the Villazon factory recently shut down, nobody here blinked an eye. When Frank Llaneza died, there were a few "RIP"s posted, but that was it. But this guy getting canned . . . perhaps, perhaps not . . . has people in a tizzy, even though Oliva says the cigars will continue unchanged?

:confused:

NCRadioMan
11-05-2010, 03:15 PM
Maybe it's just me, but I just don't get all this angst.

As mentioned, he acted like d-bag and didn't keep his word at the old forum. That's why many of us don't have a high opinion of him. Not to mention the bs Nub theory.

weak_link
11-05-2010, 03:20 PM
Not to mention the bs Nub theory.

But...but...but...the sweet spot!!!!!!!!! :r

MajorCaptSilly
11-05-2010, 03:24 PM
He is silly and fresh in a Kid-N-Play way.

MCS

ahc4353
11-06-2010, 08:58 AM
Any update on Sam? This is really messin up my weekend.

shilala
11-06-2010, 09:05 AM

That was the dick trick I was thinking of. It was quite a childish display.
Then after all the "I'm so important" sh1t, and his half hearted apology, he disappeared, despite all his promises to be a really swell guy.
Sam can suck it, as far as I'm concerned. :tu

icehog3
11-06-2010, 10:18 AM
Sam can suck it, as far as I'm concerned. :tu

The "sweet spot". ;)

forgop
11-06-2010, 01:34 PM
The "sweet spot". ;)

All 4x66 of it? :r

newcigarz
11-06-2010, 01:53 PM
who? :)

:r:r

ahc4353
11-17-2010, 11:14 AM
What's the latest? I can't sleep at night.

chippewastud79
11-17-2010, 11:38 AM
What's the latest? I can't sleep at night.

Bide your time with some Taboo orders. Don't forget your coupon. :tu

landhoney
11-17-2010, 12:43 PM
To many to quote, so this whole thread get's a big, "Ohhhh snap"

:=: :r

poker
11-17-2010, 03:46 PM
Sam who? :)

nofeardiver
11-22-2010, 11:52 AM
wow, i didnt realize some many people disliked the guy. I am not trying to start anything cause i haven't been around like some of you guys. But i did go to a Cain event at the first of the year, and got a chance to meet Sam, all i know was that i was impressed and his attitude and the time he spent with each person, was he trying to sell cigars, well yes that his business. Was he a dick and i couldn't stand to be around him no, in fact my buddy that went with me, after we left said that dude was just a cool guy. He spent a good hour with us, gave me free cigars, and drinks and a few other things. Now like i said before some of you jump down my throat, because it has happened before where i have steped over the line.... Again i have been around when this other event has happend that some of you are talking about, but i do know from meeting him he was an out standing guy. Also i was a part of his nub forum and witnessed first hand that he gives away cigars to everyone, and he sends boxes to troops and military all the time, just because of what they do for us. This is just my 2 cents, and i will leave it at that. As far as nub cigars and cain, i love them both, i smoke them all the time and i just enjoy them. But that again is my opinion. I like some cigars that others don't and hate some that others love, that the great part about cigars... Sorry didn't mean to post an essay... Just wanted to voice my opinion.... Thanks guys -(P

hotreds
11-22-2010, 12:02 PM
Interesting to read the various opinions. I met him once, at a Cain event at The Beer Sellar- he was very friendly, and even gave mama a cigar he had just rolled when I mentioned that she used to work in the tobacco fields in N.Ct. He talked to everybody, and spent time with those he talked to. So, in my brief encounter, I have nothing bad to say about the fellow.

auburnfan1980
11-22-2010, 12:28 PM
I think Sam seems like a great guy based upon the 3 or 4 times I've dealt with him both as a former retailer and onlooker at an event. He seemed very humble and was genuinely appreciative of the support from customers who attended.

I don't know the story's history between some of you on the forum and Sam apparently wanting immediate access, but I will say this about myself: I don't know about you guys, but if I were still being beaten up weeks, months, and years after the many times I've made an ass of myself, I'd have no friends and possibly disowned by my family. I'm glad I have friends that are willing and able to forgive and forget. That's just my :2 on the matter as I'm sure none of you have the problem Sam and I apparently do in showing our asses from time to time. :tu

Doctorossi
11-22-2010, 12:36 PM
Nicely said, Jason- and a good thing to keep in mind.

tx_tuff
11-22-2010, 01:13 PM
I'm pretty sure I signed up here after the "24 hour gate" happened, or might have been right before. No doubt Sam got off on the wrong foot here and was wrong. I'm not ragging on anybody here (haven't been around long enough for that) and hope not to offend anybody. But I have read the thread back when it hapened (might have been more then one, not sure) in which the topic was discussed and I don't think Sam was ever really given a chance to make up for his mistakes. Now of course its easy to say "hey this is a open forum" he had ever chance he wanted! But if it is clear that you are not welcomed by the core group of users then why keep coming back?

Let me say I can totally understand why this kind of thing can happen also, when you are a core member somewhere and pretty much consider a place a home away from home its easy to jump on somebody for trying to beat your front door in. So I'm not trying to blame anybody for what happened.

I will say that I have gotten to know Sam pretty good, including being around him away from a event or cigar related environment and he is a great guy!

icehog3
11-22-2010, 01:29 PM
Dan, you are more than entitled to your opinion, no reason to apologize. Just because some people have had bad experiences doesn't mean everyone here has to agree with us. :tu :)

Now, if we were talking Gurkha cigars..... :r

weak_link
11-22-2010, 07:34 PM
Now, if we were talking Gurkha cigars..... :r

Various blends of lead piping can be tough to distinguish, don't be so hard on yourself Admiral!

icehog3
11-23-2010, 01:29 AM
Various blends of lead piping can be tough to distinguish, don't be so hard on yourself Admiral!

leafandale
11-29-2010, 10:43 PM
I've read about the incident that happened here with Sam so I can understand why some guys would have doubts about him. I also understand some peoples "BS Meter" going off the scale on the "sweet spot" issue. That's all cool. Everyone's entitled to their opinion about where marketing meets hype.

I've had the guy at my shop for two events, I've interviewed him for our blog, and we've chatted at length about **** that has nothing to do with cigars. He's a regular guy who loves what he does for a living and hates being away from his family so much. He may not be the smoothest guy in front of a keyboard, but he's a helluva nice guy in person.

So he made an ass of himself here. We all have at one time or another, just not on a cigar forum. Your crazy Uncle Earl does that every year at Thanksgiving and you still forgive him. And Sam has more in common with you than you do with your Uncle Earl. Why the continued grudge?

Eleven
11-29-2010, 10:54 PM
I miss Uncle Earl.

icehog3
11-30-2010, 03:03 PM
Why the continued grudge?

Not really a grudge...Sam showed that he had no use for our community after posting for a couple days, getting some honest answers, and never returning. He has no use for us, I don't see any reason I should have use for him. :2

mmblz
11-30-2010, 03:07 PM
Not really a grudge...Sam showed that he had no use for our community after posting for a couple days, getting some honest answers, and never returning. He has no use for us, I don't see any reason I should have use for him. :2

:tpd:
He didn't just screw up. He screwed up and then never bothered to try again.
"Uncle Earl" might make an ass out of himself on one day of the year, but not all the others as well.
My opinion of Sam won't change unless he gives me a reason for it to change...
:2